.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Atrial Fibrillation and Unnecessary Blood-Thinners │ Vaccines Don't Cause Autism?

My younger brother Mark was far better company last evening than he was Sunday evening.

It almost looked as if I would be getting to bed just ahead of 11:00 p.m., but one of my step-sons chose to occupy the bathroom for a late shower.  I no longer recall when it was that I did make it to bed ─ there is of course no sense in retiring for the night without that final bit of relief, so I was obliged to remain up until the bathroom was again free.

It might have been approaching 4:00 a.m. when my initial stretch of sleep broke enough that I was in mind for a second visit to the bathroom, and a good drink of cold tap water.

My night finally ended just ahead of 7:00 a.m. when I opted to rise for the day.

I found that my eldest step-son Tho must have gone to work, but his younger brother Pote was in bed...and remained there until mid-afternoon.

Roughly a week ago, his mother mentioned to me that the Queen Elizabeth Secondary graduation ceremonies would be held in the same out-of-the-way location that Tho's were when he graduated at the end of the 2012/2013 school term; and if I remember correctly, she also said that Pote's were scheduled for something like 7:00 p.m. this next Monday evening.

Evidently he already knows that he has been passed for graduation.

Well, I have just checked the school website, and found this statement from the school Principal:  "The Graduation committees are working hard in preparation for the Commencement Ceremonies May 25 and June 26 Dinner Dance/Dry Grad."  

So the graduation ceremonies are two Mondays hence ─ that's better.  I was rather ruing the imminence of them being held on the coming Monday.

I still have no understanding of why Grade XII students like Pote are alerted this early that they have graduated.  What incentive is there to keep taking classes into the second half of June?

I was just coming in from taking some afternoon Sun out in the backyard when I confronted the newly-risen Pote about to put on his shoes and head off to the Skytrain.  He said that he was going downtown to visit his mother at Mango Thai restaurant in Vancouver.

Apparently she would not be making a visit home late this evening, so he was going downtown to get whatever prepared dishes she had, saving her the trip.  He disclaimed having any positive appreciation for the journey ─ I thought that maybe he rather enjoyed it.

It never occurred to me at the time, so I did not ask him ─ but maybe he was also going to work there this evening?  The restaurant normally closes for about an hour during the mid-afternoon, and then would be open from 4:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

As for that session I had outside in the Sun, I never expected that sort of weather.  It was overcast this morning, and the 'radio personalities' claimed that we were due a few possible thunderstorms today.

However, it was so sunny that I spent  just over a half-hour sitting facing into the Sun, and nigh 20 minutes with my back to it ─ and never experienced cloud obstruction even once.

I lacked the drive during the morning to go anywhere and get some shopping done; and I primarily blame my devotion to a post edit at my website My Retirement Dream.

I took a break from it to benefit from the sunshine ─ and in fact, I closed right out of the post with the intention of finishing it tomorrow.  If I stayed the course to finish it, my afternoon would have been largely consumed and I would have been starved for time to post here.

ﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧ

Normal heartbeat (sinus rhythm)

A couple of days ago, Dr. William Campbell Douglass II published a report that referenced an unidentified study concerning atrial fibrillation patients and anticoagulation therapy for stroke prevention ─ it seems that a huge percentage of such patients do not require the blood-thinners, and should not be administered any:

Battle a-fib into submission WITHOUT dangerous blood thinners
One minute, you're cool as a cucumber -- like Clint Eastwood delivering his best Dirty Harry stare. The next, you're shaking from the inside, rattling like a locomotive about to fly off the rails.

If you have atrial fibrillation (a-fib), you don't need me to tell you how terrifying this irregular heartbeat condition can be. But if there's anything worse than the thumping and bumping of an a-fib episode, it's the damage taking place the rest of the time.

And it's not damage from the disease I'm talking about.

No, friend, the REAL damage comes from the drugs they dump on you to treat it -- the blood thinners docs pass out to a-fib patients like hot dogs at a Memorial Day cookout.

Mainstream docs will tell you that having a-fib means you've got a higher risk of stroke, and blood thinners will cut that risk.

But the latest research reveals that at least 25 percent of a-fib patients aren't facing a higher risk of stroke at all, and NONE of those patients should be on blood thinners.

With some 5 million Americans battling a-fib, that means up to 1.25 million are on deadly drugs for a risk they never even had.

Most of them are undoubtedly on warfarin, aka Coumadin, a blood thinner so dangerous it does double duty as rat poison. In humans, it can cause serious and potentially deadly internal bleeding problems, damage the liver and sap you of vital vitamin K.

Low vitamin K in turn increases the risk of osteoporosis, cognitive problems and even arterial calcification.

But even if you manage to make it through that dangerous minefield of side effects you're still not out of the woods yet, because some blood thinners can actually cause heart attack and heart failure.

Your doc will tell you it's the only way to cut the risk of stroke, but that's just a load of manure, and I'm living proof of that. I've been battling chronic fibrillation since the Reagan years -- and when my own cardiologist gave me warfarin, I left it in the garage for the rats.

I take cod liver oil instead. Two to three tablespoons a day will thin the blood without all those other risks.

If you're on a blood thinner yourself, don't stop taking it all of sudden; these meds can leave you with some nasty parting gifts. Work closely with a naturopathic medical doctor who can help wean you off of them instead.

Steady as a drum,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.
I was able to locate the name of the study ─ more correctly called a 'research letter' ─ but only the abstract or summary is available for free to the general public:  Oral Anticoagulant Prescription in Patients With Atrial Fibrillation and a Low Risk of ThromboembolismInsights │ From the NCDR PINNACLE Registry (doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2015.0920).
In patients with atrial fibrillation (AF) who are at risk for thromboembolism, anticoagulation therapy with warfarin or the newer novel anticoagulants reduces morbidity and mortality. Because oral anticoagulant use carries a risk of bleeding, the drugs are not recommended in patients with AF who are at a particularly low risk for stroke. Specifically, previous AF guidelines recommend against the use of oral anticoagulation in patients younger than 60 years without heart disease or other known risk factors for thromboembolism, and more recently updated guidelines do not recommend the use of oral anticoagulation in patients with AF without any established risk factor for stroke. We sought to examine the prevalence of oral anticoagulant prescription that does not adhere to the guidelines in young and healthy patients with AF who were at the lowest risk for thromboembolism, as well as the clinical predictors of this practice.
For anyone who may be affected by this revelation, here are a couple of other reports about the study:
This declaration from that last report should essentially frighten some people:
...They reviewed nearly 11,000 patients age 60 and under and found that roughly 25 percent were prescribed oral anticoagulant therapy contrary to contemporary guideline recommendations. Further, they found that males with atrial fibrillation at the lowest risk of stroke were more likely to be prescribed oral anticoagulation than females, as were older patients and overweight patients without stroke risk factors.
If I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, I most definitely would review Dr. Douglass' suggested therapy.

There is also a report concerning vaccines that I want to present here ─ it was published just yesterday by the Health Sciences Institute (HSI), a member site of NewMarketHealth.com:

Telling it like it isn't
The lemmings in the mainstream media went to town with this one.

By now you've certainly seen all the headlines. A new "study" claims vaccines don't cause autism.

One reporter said that "if we lived in a rational world, this would put the issue to rest."

One smug newspaper even implied that if you dared to question the wisdom and safety of vaccines, you were as uneducated as people who believe the earth is flat.

These reporters all had plenty to say -- but apparently they didn't ask too many questions.

Because when you find out who's really behind this new study... billed as the "final word" on vaccines and autism... you'll see it's the research that falls flat.

Flat on its face.

Since the measles outbreak hit the press, there's been more misinformation circulating about vaccines than ever before. It's like a giant vaccine propaganda machine got turned on and no one dares to hit the off switch.

And this latest research might just be the worst propaganda of all.

Before the media started crowing about how vaccines have finally been vindicated from any association with autism, maybe they should have first checked to see who was behind the study.

And that's the Lewin Group.

Never heard of them? Well, unless you're one of their Big Pharma clients or a company in need of some report or study to support your position, it's unlikely that you would.

The Lewin Group loves to refer to itself as impartial and independent. But with big-name drugmakers such as Abbott, Wyeth, Amgen and Pfizer counted among its clients, that's kind of a hard sell.

But to really find out what makes the Lewin Group tick, you have to map its family tree.

And that starts with its parent company UnitedHealth Group -- the largest health insurance carrier company in the United States.

UHG rakes in $122 billion a year and has been recommending vaccines (even sending out helpful reminder cards) to its 84 million policyholders forever. You can bet a study linking vaccines with autism would send the UHG lawyers into cardiac arrest.

The only group more interested in distancing vaccines from autism is the federal government, which is forced to pay claims for vaccine injuries through the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.

And you won't be surprised to learn that the feds funded this latest research.

The fact is, this study is about as legitimate as the snack food industry doing research on the health benefits of Twinkies.

But aside from all the fancy footwork being performed by the Lewin Group -- and all its friends and relatives -- there's plenty we're not being told.

Because the media is using this as an opportunity to say that "study after study" has proven that vaccines don't cause autism. But that couldn't be further from the truth.

Time and time again scientists have published peer-reviewed studies in highly respected medical journals that have shown a possible connection. To say that these studies don't exist or that they're all junk science, flawed or can't be replicated is utter nonsense.

In fact, five years ago the government "vaccine court" agreed that it was the vaccinations given to 19-month old Hanna Poling that caused her autism. The court handed her parents more than $1.5 million and agreed to cover Hanna's expenses for the rest of her life.

That could amount to another $20 million.

The government also paid out multi-million dollar settlements to the families of Ryan Mojabi of Northern California and Emily Moller of Houston. Those families presented mountains of evidence that their children's autism was triggered by vaccinations.

The government has been paying off claims for vaccine-induced autism since 1990, even while insisting vaccines are safe. Since they try to keep these cases a secret, there are certainly more victims than we'll ever hear about.

Because what we ultimately hear and read about vaccines in the media isn't really "all the news that's fit to print," but very carefully selected, cherry-picked information. All broadcast to make sure that anyone who dares to rock the vaccine boat will be shoved overboard.
I get so damned annoyed when I see newspaper articles quoting some pious 'know-it-all' authority who dismisses the possibility of any association of vaccines with autism as being unenlightened and akin to 'Flat Earth' thinking.

It warmed me to read this statement by Sharyl Attkisson, the author of that final reference just above:
Investigative Journalist who tries to give you information others don't want you to have. What you do with it is your own business. Do your own research. Seek advice from those you trust. Make up your own mind.
Definitely do not believe quoted authorities in newspapers who derive the bulk of their large incomes from the workings of pharmaceutical corporations.  

ﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧﺧ

I have a rather congested entry to get through from my journal of 41 years ago when I was living in a cheap housekeeping room for the month of May in New Westminster, so I  had best get started with it.
SUNDAY, May 12, 1974

Friday at S.A.N.E. was Georgina's unsuccessful seduction of me in the Blue Room.  This so affected me that when I get my $60 cheque (tomorrow, I hope) I'm going to sink $42 into a set of weights ─ 110 lbs.

Yesterday we toked heavily at Mark's place thanks to Norman, then went to the Russell where Al joined us.

Today was routine laundry with Bill, a trip to mom's & Alex's, and the eve at Mark & Cathy's.  For the past two days I've only thought of Georgina.

Getting back to Friday.  It all began with banter.  But by the time Bill arrived, she was upon my knee really trying to cuddle.  Finally, she just took my hand and led me to the room.  There she managed to pull me upon the couch and giving me tongue-kisses.  My resistance and response led her to assert that I wasn't interested in her.  I disagreed.  Soon we were interrupted, and the next I remember, she was sick.  And then a rather tall boyfriend made the scene, and everything broke up.

Art & I went home with Verna a while, then were driven to his place by Melodie and boyfriend.  

I very soon afterward left, and wandered disturbed; I even blew $4 on a Venus beef & onion (medium).

Today at the Dairy Queen, Leslie Roy and daughter found Bill & I.
I was only employed one day a week ─ Fridays at a New Westminster charitable organization called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends) that is now known as Fraserside Community Services Society.

My usual role was that of truck swamper on S.A.N.E.'s blue pick-up truck.

On Fridays after work, many of the employees would congregate for a few drinks and some socializing.  One of the other employees working part-time was Georgina Junglas (I think that's how her name was spelled).

She was gorgeous, by my estimation ─ so much so that I was intimidated by her, even though she made various overtures of interest in me.   
 
So it was that on Friday, May 10, she decided to play her hand.

In the intervening years since the incident, I had forgotten that she was seated upon my lap ─ this must have been while we were with the others and having some drinks behind closed doors.

The 'Blue Room' must have been what we called the large storage room that was also a sort of showroom ─ that was where the donated furniture was arrayed, along with boxes and piles of clothing and other things yet to be sorted and set out for the needy public to check out.

I well remember Georgina leading me away from the group to the 'Blue Room,' but those kisses of hers have also escaped my memory ─ how I wish that I still had the experience alive in my memory to still recollect at will!

To that point in my life, I had only been intimate with one woman ─ back when I was 19 or 20.  Patricia Kerr claimed my virginity, and she and I had a few subsequent liaisons.

And then the relationship was broken off by her, and I went to Edmonton to live for about six months with my father Hector ─ he had a room somewhere there.  I hitchhiked.

Georgina was up against a near-prude in me.

While I was having a mind-blowing thrill with her in that 'Blue Room,' I would have been far too conscious of all of the others we had been drinking with ─ even though they were all encouraging this tryst, and had long sought to put us together.

So despite Georgina nearly overpowering me, I would have made enough physical resistance to prevent her from exposing me ─ I think I remember her struggling to undo my belt while delivering those incredible kisses, but I was having none of it.

I was tantamount to swooning from the incredible experience, but lamenting that we were not truly on our own somewhere else.  That absence of true privacy was too great a curb for me to surmount.

And apparently it was for the best ─ Georgina's date had shown up.  Fortunately, a couple of the others present ran interference and prevented him from surprising us.

Art Smith would have been my co-swamper on the truck that day; Esther St. Jean was generally the driver.  They were both in their early 40s.

I may vaguely remember that Art and I did once go to the home of 'Verna' ─ she sort of managed S.A.N.E.  Melodie or Melody St. Jean was truck-driver Esther's youngest daughter, so Melodie and her boyfriend must also have gone to Verna's home, and later drove Art and I back to his home.

Likely by that point I was reaching my drinking limit, and that may have been why I did not remain at Art's home for too long ─ he had a lovely wife, and three sweet kids.

That's interesting that I was able to buy an entire 'beef and mushroom' pizza for $4 at Venus Pizza ─ they still exist in New Westminster, but I know they would be unrecognizable to me now.  They probably are not even in the same location.

Anyway, I was not likely too keen on getting back to my dreary room that night.

I mentioned that "Bill" had shown up at S.A.N.E. that fateful night ─ I wonder if I was referring to my friend William Alan Gill?  If so...why did he not get any further mention, and why was he not with me after the S.A.N.E. group all broke up and left?

I do not say that he and I got together the following day ─ Saturday, May 11.  I just say that "we toked heavily" at my younger brother Mark's home in Whalley.

Mark lived with his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther in the rented home they shared, and Norman Richard Dearing ─ my old friend since Grade VIII at Newton Junior High School (1962/1963 school term) ─ provided the marijuana.  I may have only meant the four of us, but Bill might have also been present.

Regardless, the decision seems to have been made to go the the Russell Hotel in New Westminster to drink beer ─ it was probably the most popular beer-drinking establishment for young people in both New Westminster and Surrey at that time.

"Al" who joined us at the hotel was likely Mark's friend Al Cotts.  It was rare to spend any length of time in that place and not come across someone who was familiar.

I don't bother saying how the evening went or ended.

Dear Bill ─ who owned and drove a car back then, and also lived in New Wesmtinster ─ must have picked me up on Sunday, May 12, so that we could go to the laundromat together.

After that, we evidently went out to visit my mother Irene Dorosh and her husband Alex ─ they lived in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey:  the 12100 block of 90th Avenue.  Alex could often be expected to mix up a stiff martini for guests.

Back then, there were no beer, wine, or alcohol sales in these parts.  If a person did not already have the booze on hand, the only other chance to drink would be to go to Washington State ─ border town Blaine was extremely popular with British Columbians.

Bill and I ended the Sunday evening back at Mark and Jeanette's home in Whalley ─ I referred to her as 'Cathy,' but she preferred using her middle name.

I have not the remotest doubt that Georgina was figuring heavily in my thoughts all that weekend ─ she is still one of the most exciting experiences of my life that never amounted to fruition in sexual terms.  I regret that, very much.

I mentioned that Bill and I encountered "Lesley Roy and daughter" that Sunday (May 12) while he and I were visiting the Dairy Queen in New Westminster.  I think that must have been another of my part-time co-workers at S.A.N.E.

Lesley or Leslie was a "little person" who loved to participate in our after-hours party sessions.
Post a Comment