.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Monday, May 25, 2015

Celiac Disease Neuropathy Threat from Gluten

That perennial lascivious occupation of self kept me sitting here far too late last night ─ it was probably at least 12:10 a.m. ere finishing up and then making it to bed.

I had a rare night in that I never bothered getting up during it until I was ready to start my day around 7:15 a.m.  I found that it was lightly raining.

As I usually do after rising, I got busy working on a post at one of my six hosted websites.

My wife Jack phoned around 10:30 a.m. to have me soak some sticky rice, and she added that she would be home from Vancouver around 1:00 p.m. or 2:00 p.m.

Her youngest son Pote will be part of the commencement ceremonies this evening for the graduating Grade XII students of Queen Elizabeth Secondary, so I can expect a long stay where she is concerned ─ and I will have to attend the event with her this evening, of course.

Thus, I am trying to put this post together before she shows up ─ I certainly will not have the time at any other point in the day.

ﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚ

You surely must have been hearing something about the massive recall of automobiles due to flawed and dangerous airbags that have the potential to practically explode shrapnel at the vehicle occupants during a collision?

There's a website where you can check your vehicle's VIN number to see if it's a candidate for the recall...but I don't know if a Canadian car will be identified ─ one can only test and see.

The website is within this report by the Health Sciences Institute (HSI) published about three days ago:
It's being called the biggest safety recall in U.S. history.

Now, almost 34 million cars from 11 automakers are involved -- double the number of potentially affected vehicles since I first warned you about this last October.

It's because of defective airbags that can send shrapnel, like a bomb, into your face and neck if you have an accident.

Even though this is something that automakers have known about for over ten years, there was another tragedy at the end of April because of it. That is simply criminal!

Right now, the official death count is at six, including an 18-year-old who died when shrapnel flying out of her 2001 Honda Accord airbag cut into her neck. She had a very minor accident in a parking lot while going to pick up her little brother at school.

Then there was the 33-year-old mom, also driving a 2001 Honda Accord, who was hit with sharp pieces from her exploding airbag that severed arteries in her neck. She bled to death before anyone was able to help her.

At first, automakers said this was only a danger in hot and humid locations, so they tried to limit the recall to those areas. But finally three days ago the company that makes these killer airbags, the Takata Corp., said it would officially declare them defective.

That means automakers will be forced to double the number of cars that will be recalled to 33.8 million -- no matter where you live. And that both driver and passenger side airbags are included.

But this is far from the end of the story, and the tragedies. Because no one knows how many years it will take to get this many cars fixed, or even how long it will be before replacement parts are available.

Even the list of recalled vehicles at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website hasn't been updated with all the additional models involved yet.

The first thing you need to do is to check the NHTSA website here and enter your car's vehicle identification number. And if your vehicle isn't on the list, check again in a week when it's updated.

The makes and models involved are broad, including Ford, GM, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Toyota and Subaru.

And this is definitely not the time to buy a used car. The model years included in the recall are running from as early as 2001 (which includes a BMW, no less), to several 2014 Audis -- and every year in-between, with Honda vehicles appearing to be the most affected.

If your car is one of the 34 million included on the NHTSA list and it can't be fixed quickly, as I recommended last year, get rid of it. And that's especially true if you live in a warm and humid location.

It's not worth the risk to you and your family to keep driving around in what could be a death trap while the company that caused the disaster is scrambling to fix things. 
I also have some bad news for anyone suffering from celiac disease.  It was borne out in a recently published study titled Risk of Neuropathy Among 28 232 Patients With Biopsy-Verified Celiac Disease (DOI: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2015.0475).

However, only the abstract or summary is available to the general public without payment of a fee.

Still, you can take a look at Dr. William Campbell Douglass II's report on the study:

Could gluten be attacking your nerves?
You'd think that celiac disease would be punishment enough. One hint of gluten, and you're battling the stomach-wrecking, body-breaking pain and misery of this nightmare condition.

But the disease isn't done with you yet.

Celiac packs plenty of other risks -- risks that aren't as immediate or obvious as the ones you've come to know and dread.

Deep inside your body, celiac disease could be slowly causing damage to your nerves, setting the stage for painful and potentially permanent neuropathy years down the road.

About one in every 133 Americans is battling celiac, and if you're in the group your risk of suffering from debilitating neuropathy jumps by 250 percent, according to a new study published online in JAMA Neurology.

The biggest risks come early on, in your first year of the disease. But if you've been battling celiac for even longer, you're not in the clear -- because the study finds the risk is always there, lurking in the background, as long as you've got the disease.

The study doesn't show WHY celiac causes neuropathy, but the disease is an autoimmune disorder, meaning your immune system can't tell friend from foe anymore and starts to attack its own body, and autoimmune disorders are already known to cause neuropathy.

Part of the reason is the all-over inflammation that comes along for the ride with these disorders. And part is likely because your immune system may be attacking its own nerve cells.

But if you have celiac there's a little bit of an upside to this. Unlike other autoimmune disorders, yours comes with an "on-off" switch in the form of gluten.

When you eat gluten, your body throws a fit and your immune system goes on the rampage -- and that's when you suffer inflammation and potential nerve damage. But when you don't eat gluten, you don't suffer -- you don't suffer the immediate and miserable side effects, and you can avoid the long-term damage.

Gluten's no good for you anyway. None of the carbs are. So get strict with your diet, and you'll avoid the worst symptoms of the disease today along with the lasting damage that could strike tomorrow.

Saving your nerves,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.
I must leave this section and finish my post before my wife arrives home ─ it is now nearly 12:43 p.m.

ﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚﺚ

I close now with this entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 24 years old.

I had been living in an old rented house in New Westminster with my friend William Alan Gill, but we had to vacate it ─ it was slated for demolition.

I was forced to rent a cheap housekeeping room ─ possibly just for the month of May until I found something else.
SATURDAY, May 25, 1974

I intend to mail a $6 tithe, and a vote for Angela Adams in Penthouse's Pet of the Year Play-Off.

After doing so, I thought I would walk Burnaby Lake; but I soon abandoned this, and decided to go over to mom's and check my mail.  Passing through Queen's Park, I caught some of the finish of the parade; some pretty girls smiled and waved directly at solitary me.  I got off on some very neat bodies.  And it was raining.

I did get to Kennedy, and help mom & Alex move the chickens and coop.  My mail was two Robert E. Howard books, Worms of the Earth and Skull-Face Omnibus; a letter from Jean, and one from Defenders #19's Ron Bain; a card from Marvel announcing the publication of my letter in Avengers #128; something from the Church of God.  

Bill phoned me twice.

I rode, in leaving, with mom to Econo-Mart.  It rained.  I passed a flightless bird for the second time on the tracks.  And after I got home, I did nothing.

Norman visited his first visit just after 9:00 p.m.; we toked; he bought me a pop, revel, two pears, and a ½ pint of chocolate milk; we even walked through the fair grounds.  

He left; just past 11:00 p.m., June's Lane Coyle did it.

I ran 4 laps at the track.

Close to 1:00 a.m. a knock on my window (I was yet up) proved to be Mark and a very pretty Cathy.
I had tithed for years, anytime I had the money to do it from ─ I sent the tithe to the Church of God.

I was surprised to read that I cared enough about a Penthouse model to actually vote for her!

Burnaby Lake was something of a commitment where walks were concerned.  I would hike all the way out to it, and then right around it before returning back to home ─ the full hike took a number of hours.

My mother Irene Dorosh lived in Surrey ─ the home has been demolished, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue.  This is in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey.  That was a pretty decent walk, especially if I was going to be walking back home afterwards.

The parade I had partly seen in New Westminster by or at Queen's Park would have related to the May Day celebrations.

I have mentioned several times in my journal around this period that my mother and her husband Alex had started raising some chickens, but I honestly cannot claim to remember this.  Memory is so fragile.

I still have one of the Robert E. Howard books ─ perhaps tomorrow I will scan the cover.  I have no time to do so now.

"Jean" was Jean M. Black (or Jean M. Martin ─ she was to marry, but I am a little unclear now which last name was her Maiden, and which her Married) was an American pen-pal I had for several years.

I was a huge super-hearo costume fan, and loved Marvel Comics.  I now do not know why, but I had written to a fan named Ron Bain who evidently had a letter published in Defenders #19, although I don't believe I gave the correct issue number.

I did correctly identify Avengers #128 as the issue where a letter of mine was to be published.

The two phone calls from "Bill" to me at my mother's home were from my former roommate and old friend, William Alan Gill.

Econo-Mart probably no longer exists as a chain-store, but I think the one my mother was going to was possibly located at Scott Road & 96th Avenue.  I would have headed for home from that point, taking to the B.C. Hydro Railway tracks where they crossed Scott Road at the top of the steep Scott Road hill.

I must have seen a grounded bird along those tracks when I had been walking to my mother's home; and it was still there on this return trip.  Undoubtedly, only ill would have later befallen the poor creature.

My old friend Norman Richard Dearing made his first visit to my new abode that evening ─ it sounds like he took some pity upon my sparse holdings, and bought me a few comestibles.

"June's Lane Coyle" was my guarded way of indicating that I fell into temptation and sought some sexual relief via a 'girlie magazine.'

I expect that the four laps I ran were at the track at New Westminster Secondary

I wonder why my younger brother Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther came by so late?  They shared a home that they rented together out in Whalley.  My suspicion is that they had been drinking at the Russell Hotel in New Westminster ─ it was extremely popular with the younger crowd in both New Westminster and Surrey ─ and were on their way back home.

Maybe they had been by earlier to take me to the Hotel with them, and I was out?  I do not say ─ and it is impossible now to otherwise know.
Post a Comment