.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Thursday, June 4, 2015

A Striking Colon Cancer Preventive and Treatment │ Caffeine May Prevent Erectile Dysfuntion


Around 3:50 p.m. last afternoon, my eldest step-son Tho ─ who had quite recently come home from work ─ called upstairs to me here at my computer, and then appeared in the doorway to announce that he had been sent home from work because he had suffered an injury.

A nail or errant spring-end from a box-spring or mattress that he was helping flop over slashed apart the webbing between a couple of the fingers in his right hand ─ perhaps the ring and middle fingers.

He said that the blood was frothing out of the wound, and he could even see what he figured were white tendons.

Apparently the flow was quite substantial while he awaited first-aid, and he even felt faint.

Yet ─ bandaged up ─ here he was!  He had driven home to Surrey from Burnaby where he works.

He had been counseled that he would likely need stitches ─ and he concurred with that likelihood ─ so we agreed that he should visit a nearby (maybe four blocks away) walk-in medical clinic.

Of course, he drove.

Meanwhile, I was awaiting a Skype call from Raman.  He was to call at 4:00 p.m.

It was 4:24 p.m. when Skype notified me that he was then online, and his call soon followed.

I had intended to shut down Skype at 4:30 p.m. ─ I just do not have that kind of time to throw away doing absolutely nothing.

I doubt that we talked more than 15 minutes ─ maybe just 10 minutes ─ when Tho was back home, and reported that the clinic would not even look at his injury.  They told him to go to the emergency ward of the Surrey Memorial Hospital ─ it's just over four blocks distant in a direction entirely opposite to the medical clinic he had been at.

Raman was listening to everything, and when I asked Tho if he wanted me to come along, Tho affirmed, and Raman was urgent that we get right at it.

It turned out that Tho had already been to the hospital ─ or the property, at least ─ but got confused about how to deal with the pay-parking.

There wasn't a toll machine that a driver would drive up to and pay for parking.  In fact, Tho could not see such a machine anywhere; and he did not want to leave his car and go looking for one in case it got towed or ticketed.

Anyway, we resolved that obstacle, and he only had to wait a few minutes before he was taken into the area of the hospital where examinations and treatments are done.

Our parking receipt said that the parking was good until 6:02 p.m.; and since we had paid for an hour's visitation, obviously it had been 5:02 p.m. when the negotiation was enacted.

I waited in a waiting area.

Around 5:45 p.m., his younger brother Pote phoned me.  He said that Tho had texted him and wanted him to come and take the car because it looked like it would be some while yet before he actually got treated.

Pote could drive me home.  He was only a couple of blocks away ─ he was getting some job-experience (part of a Grade XII vocational programme) at a Starbucks just a short distance away by the King George Skytrain Station, and his stint was due to finish at 6:00 p.m.

So I waited outside, watching for him.

Well, by 6:05 p.m., with no sign of him yet, I felt that it was not worth the risk that Tho's car would get a parking violation.  I could not just stand beside it and watch for Pote because the car was somewhat out of the way ─ I doubted that I would notice Pote.

So I paid for an additional hour.

Then I returned to where I had been waiting, and several minutes later he came strolling casually into view with a tiny Asian lass ─ with her short legs, there was probably no hope of him hurrying to the scene.

I should here clarify that I do not drive.  Back in the latter 1970s I had a learner's permit for six months, and then renewed it for a further six months; but I never proceeded beyond that stage. 

Pote only has a learner's permit.  (And that's all I will say.)

My wife Jack had phoned me once when Tho and I were first walking from the car to the hospital; and I believe that she phoned me again while I was waiting for Pote to show up.

Then after I was home, she called me again on my cellphone.

Shortly after that call, it rang again ─ I remember that it was roughly 6:50 p.m.  I answered it...and found Sandy on the line ─ she's the lady-friend of my old friend William Alan Gill whose calls I try to avoid because I just do not have time for idle telephone conversations.

I stuck it out until 7:30 p.m., and encouraged her to release me so that I could have a needed bath ─ I wanted to have the quick bath, and then settle in for my usual couple of hours of television enjoyment, a quick supper, and some beers.

By the way, I received an E-mail at 5:13 p.m. from Google+ Hangouts last afternoon ─ amidst everything else.  I won't reveal the attempted-contact's name, but the message said:  "S. G. F. invited you to a conversation."  

I have never used Google+ Hangouts, so it is not something I am familiar with beyond knowing that it does exist.  But if you are seeing this, S. G. F., there was no chance whatsoever that I was going to become embroiled in a whole new conversation at that point yesterday after losing so much time in my day.

I deliberately avoid these communication features.  I hate being busy working at something, and then a contact I am linked with who comes online and sees that I am also online, will suddenly impose a call to me. 

I remember Hotmail had a SMS feature that caught me up a few times years back ─ a 'chat' screen would suddenly appear because someone noticed I was online, and I would be forced to depart from whatever I was working on and spend however long 'chatting.'

I have had the same thing happen when I have been logged into Facebook ─ because of that, I hardly ever log into Facebook anymore.

It is also why I never have Skype activated.

I truly have very little idle time ─ live communication is something that must be planned just like an appointment would be.

Returning to the subject of injured Tho, however...he was home at some point during my short bath.  He had gotten his stitches, and had a two-page application for WorkSafeBC (Workers' Compensation Board of B.C.) that the hospital gave him.

But enough about yesterday, apart from saying that I know I got to bed reasonably early ─ maybe even before 11:30 p.m. ─ but I now forget the precise time.

My beer supply is now running low ─ I have enough for this evening and tomorrow evening.

I fully intended to get away in the latter morning today, after completing half of a new post at my Thai-Iceland website that I would leave for completion tomorrow.

Well, at just 9:00 a.m., I heard a car honking ─ my wife Jack was home from Vancouver, and wanted some help bringing in some groceries and such.

She looked so very ill-slept, and even expressed that she was only going to cook up a pot of rice soup, and then take a nap.

Well, she never even so much as lied down ─ I don't know how she does it.

And apart from a shopping excursion for more groceries that she made when she must have taken 17-year-old Pote to Starbucks early after the noon-hour, she was home until roughly 2:15 p.m.

So...she was here today for something over five hours, which is quite unusually long for one of her home visits.

It certainly scotched my hopes of a hike for beer, and postponed other things, as well.

But it's always nice having her around ─ and she did do quite a lot by way of chores, I must say!

As for Tho, I suppose he and I should fill out that WorkSafeBC application, but it won't be happening today.  He'll probably be off work for about two weeks ─ there is lots of time.

Within the past week, I noticed a small nest of hornets or yellowjackets in the small shed where I occasionally do some exercises ─ it's maybe the size of a tennis ball:



Will it remain that size...or is this the type of wasp that eventually creates one of those absolutely huge globes?

I am wary, but thus far none of the colonists I sometimes see crawling about on the outside of the nest have threatened me. 

ﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏ

Here is superb news concerning prevention and even treatment of colon cancer ─ the Health Sciences Institute (HSI) published this about six days ago:
Scientists don't like to use the word miracle.

They prefer to describe discoveries as promising, and important.

But there's really no other way to talk about this new finding out of Baylor University Medical Center.

Because it looks like researchers there have truly come upon a miracle. One for both treating and preventing one of the deadliest cancers of our time -- colon cancer.

It's no secret that there's a lot of good news -- and good science -- about curcumin, the active ingredient in the spice turmeric.

There are more than 3,000 studies proving the antibacterial, antiviral, and heart-protecting benefits of curcumin. But the focus lately has been how it can prevent and even outsmart cancer.

And Baylor researchers found a way to take the amazing healing properties of curcumin and make them even stronger. They combined it with another herb, boswellia.

Boswellia comes from the tree that produces frankincense, which has been used since antiquity for its aroma and to make healing remedies. It's even mentioned in the Bible.

And when curcumin was combined with boswellia, it became what the study's lead author Dr. Ajay Goel said could be the "Holy Grail for preventing colon cancer."

The combo was so potent that in an animal study it took just two days for it to have an effect on tumor growth. It reduced the toxic effects of chemo, made smaller doses of chemo more effective, and even activated drugs that don't usually work on the 50 percent of colon cancer patients who have a certain gene mutation.

"This could be an incredibly important finding for helping people with this mutation," Dr. Goel said.

Dr. Goel believes that both people fighting cancer, as well as those with a family history of colon cancer, can be helped by curcumin and boswellia. He believes his research is offering "compelling evidence" that the herbal remedies don't just fight colon cancer -- they may help prevent it.

Plus, curcumin and boswellia are affordable, widely available, and, in the words of Dr. Goel, "extremely safe."

And that's something that you'll never hear about 99.9 percent of any prescription drugs on the market. Especially the ones used to treat colon cancer.
Health Sciences Institute (HSI) ─ a member site of NewMarketHealth.com ─ are generally very good about giving a reference for their report, but they did not do so this time.

I located the published study ─ or at least its abstract or summary, for the general public must pay a fee to access the full publication:  Novel Evidence for Curcumin and Boswellic Acid–Induced Chemoprevention through Regulation of miR-34a and miR-27a in Colorectal Cancer (doi: 10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-14-0354).

Here are a couple of other reports on the study:
And yesterday I had included an article in my post concerning coffee (or the 'cherry' that contains the bean) that Dr. William Campbell Douglass II published.  Well, he has another report on coffee ─ or its caffeine ─ that is of exceptional interest to me:

Perk up your love life and prevent ED with a java jolt
Forget the "little blue pill." If you want to boost your sex life and fight off erectile problems, try the little black bean instead.

Coffee can do more than help you wake up. It can help wake up your love life too, as new research shows how a steady java habit could help set the stage for romance and prevent erectile dysfunction (ED).

But if you want to make sure you're ready to get brewing in the bedroom, then make sure your daily brew is fully loaded turbo-charged rocket fuel -- because the secret ingredient is caffeine, and plenty of it.

Between 85 mg and 300 mg a day -- or between one and four cups (REAL cups, not those silly little shot glasses of coffee) – could cut your risk of erection problems by about 40 percent, according to the study published in PLOS ONE.

No wonder Juan Valdez always had that sly smile!

The reason is basic biology: A strong erection requires a strong flow of blood to the penis. If you're suffering from any kind of circulation problem -- even one your own doc can't detect -- you're in for a frustrating time in the sack.

Caffeine is a proven circulation booster that can keep the blood pumping, and is so effective at restoring the circulation needed to achieve and maintain an erection that the new study finds it can even help men with chronic health problems such as obesity.

There's only one set of men who don't seem to get that same java jolt: diabetics.

Yes, friend, there are some problems even coffee can't cure. (But don't forget coffee COULD help with that diabetes problem.)

Don't expect to get the same rush from soda. Cola contains less caffeine and more sugar -- and sugar will cause your blood flow to slow until it's moving like molasses.

I should note that this new study shows how to help PREVENT erection problems. If despite a steady coffee habit you already have ED issues, the problem may be hormonal.

In that case seek the advice a naturopathic medical doctor experienced in natural hormone therapies. I recommend a member of the American College for Advancement in Medicine. Try their Physician+Link tool to locate an integrative doctor in your area who can help turn things around in the bedroom.

Giving you a java jolt,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.
I don't know why Dr. Douglass never seems to offer a reference for his reports, but I was able to find the published study:  Role of Caffeine Intake on Erectile Dysfunction in US Men: Results from NHANES 2001-2004 (DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0123547). 

Website MedicalNewsToday.com has a link to their own report concerning that study ─ the link is in this comprehensive coffee report titled What are the health benefits of coffee?

ﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏﺏ

The afternoon is almost done, so I want to close with this entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 24 years old, and living in a cheap housekeeping room in New Westminster.
TUESDAY, June 4, 1974

Another lousy day.  

On my way to S.A.N.E. to sign my incentive form and phone Mark (Cathy wanted him to arrange a dental appointment for her) I bought a nice jacket in Army & Navy a total of $5.24.

I wound up helping Ted and Danny pick-up some storage at Butterworths and later unload it.

After getting home I decided to walk over to see mom; she seemed glad to see me.  Alex is on afternoon shifts.  

My mail were Olympic special stamps and a sample issue of CANAR for Gar S. Vorthr.  I fed heavily; when I left, she gave me some cookies.

When I had my bedtime bath, the caretaker was waiting with his room door open.  This was about 1:00 a.m.  He said someone this morning wanted to bath, but first made him clean the greasy ring from the tub.  "You bath quite often."  He accused me of treating my body with something.  I knew I had reason not to like the prick.
I cannot say that I recall that closing incident with the caretaker.

I only worked a day per week ─ I was scheduled to work each Friday at S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends), but often I put in extra time.  I was employed with them as part of a New Westminster social services employment incentive project, so apparently I had to periodically sign-off on whatever document S.A.N.E. had verifying my attendance.

Today, S.A.N.E. are known as Fraserside Community Services Society.

I now have absolutely no memory of S.A.N.E. employees "Ted and Danny."  Nor do I recall a business called "Butterworths."

I must have used the S.A.N.E. phone to call my brother Mark ─ it was his wonderful girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther who evidently had gotten me to call Mark about arranging the dental appointment for her.  I wonder when she contacted me?

Department store Army & Navy are still there in New Westminster, and probably still do have great deals.

If my mother Irene Dorosh's husband Alex was working the afternoon/evening shift, then I would have headed over to visit her after he had left for work.  Incidentally, although her old home is now gone, the address out in Surrey was 12106 - 90th Avenue.
  
This shows the sort of endurance I had back then ─ I did whatever work I chipped in on at S.A.N.E., and then hiked all the way out to my mother's home from New Westminster.  I also walked all the way back home later that evening.

Her address was my mailing address.  The Olympic stamps were commemorative issues that I had mail-ordered ─ not as a collector, but to use on my correspondence.  I didn't like using dull definitives.

Gar. S. Vorthr was a pseudonym I had used in writing at least one fan letter to Marvel Comics.  It had gotten published in an issue of The Avengers.  The Canadian publisher of CANAR (Comic Art News and Reviews) ─ John Balge ─ was likely trying to round up subscribers, so he would send out a free copy to addresses he found in comic-book letters-pages.

As it happened, I think I already was a subscriber as myself.

Anyway, it's unfortunate to have ended my day with that surly encounter with the caretaker.  I think the address of that old rooming house was 333 Pine Street.  I wonder if it even exists any longer?   
Post a Comment