.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Friday, June 12, 2015

Magnesium Deficiency Quite Common │ Fish Oil and Muscle Devlopment

Dear, Lord! ─ I'd love to personally forever still that damned loudmouth hound beyond the backyard fence; the beast has tormented me with its baying for at least three years now.




But I would rather dwell on other topics at present.

If I am recollecting correctly, I was in bed last night by 10:45 p.m. at latest.  I had thought that I was going to have to reply to one or both of the uonopened E-mails I had received from Raman and my former co-worker Angela, but neither message required a response ─ that was certainly a sweet release!

I wanted to mail a VISA payment this morning, so immediately after rising shortly after 7:00 a.m., I dressed and set off to the mailbox about half-a-block away.

I must confess, my grogginess quite surprised me.

A wind almost seemed to be making the sunny early morning feel cool.

In fact, the day has remained quite windy; and anytime one of the rather dark big clouds obscures the Sun, it is indeed on the nippy side out there.  Yet otherwise, it is a hot day.

That wind has made my bedroom feel distinctly chilly.  Very late in the noon-hour, I lied down under the covers while fully clothed ─ a bid to resurrect the drive to tackle some dumbbell curls.  I occasionally experienced an actual shiver while lying there in bed.

The morning work on a post titled Memoirs of a Geisha II at my Amatsu Okiya website had taxed me, for I had only completed about a third of it yesterday.  I wanted to finish and publish it today, so I stuck at it until I was free of the chore.

Consequently, the need thereafter to lie down for a short while.

Anyway, when I got at those one-arm knee-curls with my 42½-pound dumbbell, I was finishing the final set when my youngest step-son Pote came home from Queen Elizabeth Secondary.

He had undergone a job interview this past Wednesday at the Nike shop at Metrotown, but today was the first time that I took the opportunity to quiz him on how he felt he fared. 

Unfortunately, he was not pumped with enthusiasm over his performance.

He had previously worked there as part of a job-experience programme many Grade XII students take advantage of, and had put in 100 hours in 20 calendar days.

Two assistant-managers clearly liked him.

However, Pote was not interviewed by anyone who knew him ─ it was someone he had not met before.  So without the benefit of enjoying an assessment by someone who already knew of him and his work performance, he is feeling doubtful.

I hope he gets the job, though.  He seems to badly want to work for Nike.  He and his brother already love and buy their products, so it would be almost a dream placement for Pote.

And speaking of his older brother Tho, I was relieved to see that he went to work this morning ─ his car was gone when I came downstairs after getting up for the day.

He had missed both Monday and Wednesday.

ﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇ

I read an interest report on dietary magnesium earlier today.

I take a 150-mg magnesium citrate supplement daily, but reportedly I should be aiming for 400 milligrams.

The article I initially read was from the Health Sciences Institute (HSI), and published about a week ago:
Could getting insufficient amounts of a single micronutrient -- magnesium -- be the root cause of dozens, maybe hundreds of health complaints?

Quite possibly. And if you're not eating the foods that provide it or are doing certain things that deplete your levels, the resulting lack of magnesium just might be behind your health problems as well.

Magnesium is the mineral that helps support enzyme functions and regulate the way muscles contract and relax. It also helps synthesize protein and regulate body temperature.

It's what happens when you don't get enough, however, that can really impact your well-being.

According to Dr. George Lundberg, a board-certified pathologist and long-time journal editor, magnesium deficiency could well be "the real emperor of all maladies," causing illnesses you might never expect.

Among the symptoms of low magnesium are problems like muscle spasms, facial tics, seizures, irregular heart rhythm and inability to get a good night's sleep.

But it goes well beyond that, and low magnesium has been linked to hypertension, seizures, headaches, exhaustion, leg cramps, fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, diabetes, kidney stones and restless leg syndrome.

In fact, a 2009 report by the World Health Organization estimated three quarters of Americans may have inadequate levels of magnesium.

And it isn't just a question of not getting enough from our diet. Our magnesium levels can be depleted by things we ingest, like alcoholic beverages. Or certain kinds of drugs -- particularly proton pump inhibitors for heartburn, such as Nexium, Prilosec or Prevacid, as well as diuretics, heart and asthma meds and estrogen replacement therapy.

Drinking soda and caffeinated beverages and eating refined sugar are also habits that can result in magnesium being excreted from the body.

To counteract such factors, Lundberg recommends taking 400 mg. of a magnesium supplement daily, as well as eating more foods that are rich in the mineral.

These include nuts and seeds, dark leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and chard, beans, lentils, legumes, and whole grains, avocado, yogurt, and bananas.

Plus dark chocolate is high in magnesium -- and that's something that most of us shouldn't find too hard to swallow.

So if you've been suffering from a nagging health problem -- or if you simply haven't been feeling your best -- do what Dr. Lundberg recommends. Try upping your magnesium levels and track what happens.

It's safe, and could make a world of difference for your health. 
No source reference was given, but I located one at medscape.comMagnesium Deficiency: The Real Emperor of All Maladies?

Dr. William Campbell Douglass II brought my attention to a rather intriguing study involving fish oil supplementation and muscle-increase ─ apparently without any accompanying exercising.

He published this report on the study about five days ago:

Anti-aging breakthrough: Stop muscle loss in its tracks!
We don't like to admit when the calendar's getting the best of us, so of course we don't want to talk about how we're not as strong as we used to be.

But you know it's happening.

You can feel it in your muscles, when you struggle to open a jar of sauce or even just a heavy door. Heck, the more candles you add to your cake the more you can practically SEE your muscles shrink before your very eyes.

Muscle loss and loss of strength are two of Mother Nature's cruelest tricks. But today, I'm going to help you make sure the joke's on her -- because there's a simple, safe and effective way to gain strength and regrow your muscle.

And you don't have to lift anything heavier than a gelcap and a glass of water.

The omega-3 fatty acids in the fish oil supplements that I hope you're taking right now are proven to protect muscle and even restore strength and reverse muscle loss.

One new study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition shows how fish oil capsules can reverse the toll of years of aging on your muscles.

In just six months, fish oil capsules increased muscle volume, as measured in the thigh, by 3.6 percent when compared to a placebo. For some seniors, that's the damage of more than 3 years of aging... wiped out by fish oil.

More muscle means more power, so the seniors given fish oil also had a 4 percent improvement in both lower and upper-body strength -- reversing the toll of nearly two years of aging.

To get the benefits in the study, you need a higher dose than what most folks take. But at 1.86 grams per day of EPA and 1.5 grams per day of DHA, it's not even close to an unsafe dose (but speak to your doc anyway, of course).

The only downside is that the seniors in the study got their omega-3s from a version of fish oil that's a little closer to snake oil: the synthetic omega-3 fatty acids found in Big Pharma's overpriced prescription "fish oil" capsules.

Hey, at least it's not a drug.

But if you want the muscle-boosting, heart-protecting, brain-enhancing benefits of fish oil, stick to the tried-and-true. Save a few bucks and get a high-quality over-the-counter fish oil supplement from a maker you trust.

Your muscleman,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.
I take a fish oil supplement, but nothing on the order of the amounts he cites.  My capsules contain 180 milligrams of EPA, and 120 milligrams of DHA.

I would need to take 12½ of my supplements daily to match the DHA requirement ─ and about 10 1/3 capsules would match the EPA levels Dr. Douglass had quoted.

I can't really afford to take 12 or 13 capsules daily ─ not on just my present pension income.

I was able to locate the published study location, but only the abstract or summary is available to the general public without a fee:  Fish oil–derived n–3 PUFA therapy increases muscle mass and function in healthy older adults (doi: 10.3945/ajcn.114.105833). 

Still, there is another review of it at nutraingredients.comOmega-3s may slow age-associated muscle loss: RCT data.

ﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇﺇ

I end today's post with this entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 24 years old, and living in a cheap housekeeping room in New Westminster.
WEDNESDAY, June 12, 1974

I hiked over to see mom; Alex is taking the week off.  My mail was an apology for Musclemag International's delay, and a letter from Ron Bain.  I was so dead later in the day that I even had to lie down; thank heaven Cathy phoned mom about 8:00 p.m. and said she would come over; she wanted to borrow a dollar, but got $1.50 off me instead.  I went home with her.

Due to a rock & roll revival at 11:30 p.m. on 4, I was unable to leave till after 1:00 a.m.; and I thought I'd get to bed early tonight.

Bill phoned earlier at mom's and got a no from me when questioned about beaching on Saturday.
My mother Irene Dorosh and her husband Alex lived in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey ─ although the house has been demolished as of just a few years ago, its address then was 12106 - 90th Avenue.  I well remember because that was my mailing address for many years. 

It was a bit of a walk from where I lived in New Westminster.

I must have gotten in on the ground floor of MuscleMag International's inaugural first issue, but they were having a delay in getting it published.

Ron Bain was an American pen-pal ─ we were just beginning our short relationship in that context.

My younger brother Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther were renting a home together in Whalley.  Why Jeanette ("Cathy," as I referred to her in my journal) needed to borrow a mere dollar is a little perplexing now, but of course money did 'go farther' back then than it does now.

I returned to her home with her, and stayed to watch that musical special on T.V. station Channel 4 (KOMO).  It was thus after 1:00 a.m. when I left to walk back to New Westminster.

My friend William Alan Gill probably got the "No" from me concerning a Saturday visit to the beach because ─ in all likelihood ─ I was too insecure to strip down.  I probably had not yet acquired sufficient coloration from remote sunning to hide the complexion imperfections I was somewhat prey to back then.
Post a Comment