.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Friday, July 10, 2015

Deadly Gastric Bypass Surgery to Treat Diabetes? │ Citrus Fruit Linked to Melanoma

My younger brother Mark was in better shape last evening than I expected of him after he had come home from the bar on his birthday.

Still, he got home around 8:45 p.m., ate his supper at the kitchen table and looked through one of the free local bi-weekly newspapers, and then at 9:30 p.m. or so sat in his chair to watch the remainder of Wayward Pines...and was very soon unconscious.

At 10:00 p.m. I tuned in the news broadcast for him to enjoy as background, and then I proceeded to do a few things like watering some plants in the front yard, and dealing with E-mails and such upstairs at my computer.

I think he roused ahead of 11:00 p.m., but he never forsook the beer and T.V. until 11:30 p.m.

He usually heads upstairs at 10:30 p.m., for he has to get up around 4:30 a.m. to start readying for work.

It mystifies me why he punishes himself to this level.

At least we had a cooler night than we have had for awhile.

I retired around 12:20 a.m., and had my usual block of solid sleep lasting two or three hours.

However, even though sleep was intermittent thereafter, I kept managing to surrender back into sleep anytime I found myself awake.

I probably spent a lot of time getting to sleep on my stomach ─ that has been unusual for the past couple or so years.

I slept on my stomach for most of my life ─ it was the position I would assume in bed when I wanted to lapse into sleep.  But for some reason a couple or so years ago, I started realizing that I was consistently falling asleep while lying upon my back.

It had even become uncomfortable for me to lie on my stomach ─ for one thing, my neck felt awkwardly craned.  It all just felt so physically unnatural ─ not at all conducive to slipping into a sleep.

But last night was different ─ it kept feeling very comfortable turning onto my stomach, and with my pillow pulled over-top my head; sleep  kept ensuing.

In recent months, I would place my pillow lengthwise beneath my belly and hips in order to feel comfortable on my stomach ─ it lessened the strain upon my crooked neck.

But that was not necessary last night, for some odd reason.

When I checked the time with an eye to rising for the day, I was surprised to see that it was about 8:40 a.m.

I also noticed that it was entirely overcast outside.

Supposedly, that is supposed to change ─ the day is to become sunny eventually.  But the weekend is supposed to cloud up, and we might even have some rain showers by Sunday.

We've been in a drought here in the Greater Vancouver area ─ in most of British Columbia, in fact.

It is 10:40 a.m. as I type these words, and it is as overcast as ever, but the cool is nice.

One other thing I wish to report is that for the past three or four days, my right foot has shown symptoms of what I would diagnose as plantar fasciitis.  The area affected seems the outer part of my foot, and in around the front of the heel.

I haven't any clear idea now what brought it on, apart from thinking that I recollect some sensitivity after sitting here at my computer for an extended period a few days ago, and may have had that foot planted upon the carpeted floor in such a fashion that I may have brought on the stress to the plantar fascia.


I have three medical reports to offer now that were all released two days ago.

The first just highlights how stupid so many people can be ─ and how determined they are to take what they foolishly determine is the easy way of dealing with a medical condition.

Specifically, I am speaking of people who seize upon the opportunity to have gastric bypass surgery to treat diabetes ─ can you imagine?

This is from the Health Sciences Institute (HSI), a member site of NewMarketHealth.com:

The cure that kills
They want to slice and dice your diabetes away.

No, I'm not talking about some fancy new juicer or food processor. I'm talking about an insane new plan to sell deadly gastric bypass surgery to diabetics.

For years I've been warning you that gastric bypass -- which surgically shrinks the size of your stomach -- was killing countless patients around the world. Some of them were dead before their incisions ever healed.

Now a research team is encouraging diabetics to line up for the gruesome procedure, claiming it controls the disease even better than diet and exercise.

But, of course, that's only part of the story.

This new recommendation is part of a ploy by one of the richest medical companies in the world to make its next billion -- even at your expense. And they're trying to sweep under the rug a forgotten, 10-year-old study that proves gastric bypass could be a death sentence for any diabetic who chooses it.

Only the mainstream would call a 71 percent failure rate a success.

But that's exactly what researchers got when they asked a few dozen obese patients with diabetes to get either gastric bypass surgery or a laparoscopic band (which ties off part of your stomach).

Forty percent of patients who got gastric bypass saw their diabetes go into remission, compared to 29 percent who got the band. In other words, this potentially deadly surgery failed for most of the people who tried it.

But, shockingly, that doesn't seem to be slowing the momentum of gastric bypass as a diabetes treatment one bit.

Groups like the American Diabetes Association are already recommending gastric bypass for type 2 diabetes. And Dr. Anita Courcoulas from the University of Pittsburgh, the study's lead author, claims gastric bypass is more effective at controlling diabetes than diet and exercise.

That's a dangerous and misleading claim that could put countless, desperate diabetics right in harm's way. But the truth is, it's exactly what Dr. Courcoulas and plenty of other docs like her are paid to say.

Because while mainstream media outlets around the world ran with the story about Dr. Courcoulas' research, they conveniently forgot to report that she's a paid consultant for Ethicon (they should start calling themselves Ethics-less).

That's a division of Johnson & Johnson that makes the medical equipment used in gastric bypass surgery. Dr. Michael Gagner, a Florida International University professor who reviewed the study for the Journal of the American Medical Association, has also taken cash from Ethicon.

In fact, the company dumped $3.2 million into funding doctor talks and research to try and expand the use of gastric bypass so diabetics can get their insurance to cover it.

And Ethicon isn't just trying to get rich off diabetics' suffering. The company is actually ignoring a terrifying 10-year-old study that discovered what really happens to your blood sugar when you get gastric bypass.

You see, a decade ago researchers from two major universities and the Joslin Diabetes Center in Massachusetts found that people who undergo gastric bypass surgery are at risk of sudden, severe and potentially deadly hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

Researchers found that the surgery causes a dangerous "overproduction of insulin" that drives your blood sugar to risky, low levels and can cause everything from sudden blackouts to a rapid heart rate.

Three of the people in the study needed to have all or parts of their pancreases removed to stop the constant flood of insulin that would have killed them. And you can be certain that the same thing is going to happen to diabetics who now get talked into a gastric bypass.

Of course, it doesn't have to be low blood sugar that kills you after the surgery. Gastric bypass can trigger everything from liver disease to a total shutdown of your immune system. In fact, one out of every 50 people who get the surgery are dead within a month.

People like Dave Weindel, who died three weeks after his stomach was reduced to the size of a chicken egg… or Ron Malone, who died after three attempts to fix a botched gastric bypass.

If you're looking to control your blood sugar, you have plenty of better options -- like low-carb diets and supplements like berberine -- that are all safer and more effective than gastric bypass. Because even if this gruesome surgery takes away your diabetes, you may be left with something 1,000 times worse.
When I read something like that report, what leaps to my mind is the equation of the hapless victims with the winners of the so-called Darwin Awards.

Why the Hell not try a low-carbohydrate diet first ─ one rich in animal protein and fat that will keep the consumer feeling satisfied?  There's no need to feel ravenous throughout the day.

The next two reports are from Dr. William Campbell Douglass II, and the first one is for those who are getting on in age and alarmed at some experiences of memory lapse:

No, your brain burp shouldn't send you into an Alzheimer's panic
Here's one just in from the Water Is Wet Department: If you have memory loss -- and if your memory keeps getting worse -- you're more likely to get Alzheimer's disease.

No kidding!

Someone actually did a study on this, but I suspect there's more here than meets the eye.

After all, EVERY senior loses a little mental speed… and EVERY senior suffers the occasional brain burp. This is different from the real memory loss that will increase your risk of dementia, but that's a distinction this study fails to make or even mention.

Naturally, all seniors who read about it will probably think they're at risk.

So what's really going on here? Let me take a stab at it: This study was funded by the Alzheimer's Association, which you may know better as one of those charities always sending you return address labels as they beg for money to help "find a cure."

Don't send them a penny!

This group climbed into bed with Big Pharma ages ago and never got back out. Today, they're actively suppressing REAL cures while pushing the drug industry's agenda.

And this nonsensical study fits that agenda perfectly.

Just about every Alzheimer's drug in development has crashed and burned so spectacularly the industry is now shifting it's game to "primary prevention," or, in other words, a wonder drug that can prevent the disease rather than cure it.

I've even heard rumors of a dementia vaccine that's supposedly in the works.

The goal of course isn't to prevent Alzheimer's. It's to get as many people to take the drug as possible, including the millions who would never, ever develop the disease anyway.

And if you've got millions of seniors terrified that they're at risk -- even if they're not -- there will be lines out the door the day these meds go on the market.

Don't join that line; there are ways to help prevent Alzheimer's right now, and you won't hear about a single one of them from the Alzheimer's Association.

This group even has an entire page on its website devoted to trashing natural therapies, calling CoQ10 and fish oil "unproven," while also claiming -- I kid you not -- that getting a flu shot might prevent Alzheimer's disease.

That's not science. That's quackery.

You don't need a drug to drive down dementia risk. Plain old B vitamins will do the trick, and you can read more in this free report from my Daily Dose archives.

Keeping your brain away from the drain,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.
He never provided enough detail about the study he was referring to, so I had to give up on trying to locate it.

That's interesting what he has to say about the Alzheimer's Association.  The situation is redolent of what's going on in 'the Cancer Industry.'  If a cure isn't some chemical or related magic that's going to make pharmaceutical corporations enormous wealth, then they're not interested ─ they'll even denigrate the alternatives rather than explore them.

Dr. Douglass' second report relates to a recently published study implying that citrus fruit may increase the risk of melanoma:

Common breakfast food linked to deadly skin cancer
When I was a kid, the perfect breakfast was ham and eggs -- or steak and eggs if the family was feeling flush -- washed down with a tall glass of farm-fresh milk.

There's no better way to start the day than that!

Today, thanks to years of TV brainwashing from Madison Avenue slicksters, the "perfect" breakfast most people picture involves some kind of cereal and toast with margarine, washed down with a tall glass of OJ.

That's a perfect breakfast all right… perfectly awful!

The entire meal is a recipe for low energy, hunger, obesity, diabetes and heart disease… but if you're a longtime Daily Dose reader, you know all that.

Today I want to focus on a risk you HAVEN'T heard of, specifically from that glass of OJ -- because new research finds that drinking orange juice regularly could increase your risk of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.

A daily glass of OJ will increase your risk of melanoma by 25 percent, according to the study in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.

So here we have a link between juice and cancer that's clear as day… and what does the mainstream blame?

The sun, of course!

You really can't make this stuff up folks. Already, experts are lining up to claim OJ won't hurt you… but the sun will. They say OJ contains a compound that MIGHT make your skin more sensitive to sun -- but you still need sunlight to trigger the cancer.

"The citrus can't hurt you without the excessive sun exposure," Dr. Abrar Qureshi, chair of dermatology at Brown University, told the HealthDay news service.

Sounds to me like this dope didn't even READ the study before he opened his trap -- because the link between skin cancer and OJ held even AFTER sun exposure and sunburn were taken into account.

The REAL reason for the link is that ounce for ounce OJ has about as much sugar as soda.

Melanoma loves sugar, using it as fuel, with 40 percent of all melanomas actually DEPENDENT on sugar -- and if you're guzzling OJ every morning, you'll give that cancer just what it needs to grow.

Same goes for grapefruit, another sugary citrus fruit that'll increase your risk of skin cancer, according to the study.

It's time to get back to basics with your breakfast -- back to bacon, steak, ham and eggs, washed down with either fresh milk or coffee.

Saying NO WAY to OJ,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.
I located the study, but only the abstract or summary is available to the general public without payment of a fee:  Citrus Consumption and Risk of Cutaneous Malignant Melanoma (doi: 10.1200/JCO.2014.57.4111).

And here's the article from "the HealthDay news service" that he cited, in derision of a statement by Dr. Abrar Qureshi:  Can Orange Juice, Grapefruit Raise Your Melanoma Risk?

Well, if there is truly an association, I'm certainly not going to avoid exposing myself to the Sun just so I can consume citrus products.


The day finally became quite sunny in the latter afternoon, but I never ventured out to indulge in it by way of sunning.

I was confined to my computer desperately trying to complete and publish a new post at my Sian-Longings website:  Thailand Travel.

I found myself in such despair as the afternoon wore on into the early evening that, frankly, I am bordering on just giving up.

On everything.

I don't feel as if I can make it.  I've lost too much of my life.

And with that declared, I now close today's post with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 24 years old, and living in a cheap housekeeping room in New Westminster.
WEDNESDAY, July 10, 1974

I came to Mark's late the 8th, just preceding Cathy from work.

The following day I enjoyed no exercise except beering in the Surrey Inn with Mark till Cathy joined us; his birthday.  

Before, leaving the kids with mom, I collected my mail which included a letter from Jean and Ron.

After the Inn, we dined at Slop's in town, then returned to Mark's for the night.

Today I didn't get to go home with Cathy as I'd planned due to the visitation of Darryl.  Even Bill showed.  

Darryl took me home with him so he could take Melanie to work; after, the two of us hit the Richmond Inn and the Skyline.  Then back to Mark's; Darryl had to leave to pick up Melanie from work without seeing Mark again ─ who was out getting Michelle a bike.

Thanks to Darryl and father, I now have a new watch-strap.  

I came home the night. 
So that's how my younger brother Mark celebrated his 22nd birthday back in 1974 ─ I had been wondering about that yesterday because my journal had no entry for July 9 that year.

I'm unclear on whether I slept over following my visit late on July 8 ─ it almost sounds as if I did.

Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther were renting a home together on Bentley Road in Whalley.

The Surrey Inn was relatively new back then, I think.  I'm unsure just what it is called today, but it is the establishment over by the King George Skytrain Station.

Jeanette ("Cathy") had two beautiful little girls.  Since Jeanette was working at the time, Mark was overseeing them.  We evidently took them over to leave with my mother, Irene Dorosh ─ she and her husband Alex absolutely loved those little girls!

The oldest of the sisters was Michelle Lee Gunther; her younger sister was Pamela Susan Gunther.

I know the bigger girl in this photo is Michelle, but the smaller girl just does not quite seem to me to be little Pamela ─ I would guess the photo to have been taken in 1973:


But this is definitely both sisters ─ the photo may actually have been taken in 1974:


Little Pamela always reminded me of an immature Marilyn Monroe ─ she had that beauty.

Anyway, Mark left the girls with our mother Irene, and then we hit the Surrey Inn ─ and were later joined by beautiful Jeanette.

Then, after drinking enough beer, the three of us went to New Westminster to the Pacific Cafe on Columbia Street ─ the cafe was generally (affectionately) known as Slop's.

By the way, my mother's address was the one I used for my main mailing address.  The two letters I had mentioned that were awaiting me there were from two U.S. pen-pals I had:  Jean M. Black and Ron Bain.

I definitely slept overnight at Mark & Jeanette's home the night of July 9/10, even if I can only surmise that I had also done so the previous night.

My intention was to ride back into New Westminster with Jeanette when she went to work on July 10 ─ she was then employed at Scott Paper in New Westminster.

However, the arrival of Darryl Porteous kiboshed that hope.

I may be misspelling Darryl's first name, but nonetheless, he was the next younger brother of Mark's best friend, Garry Porteous.

I vaguely remember that incident.  I never wanted to go with him to fetch his girlfriend Melanie, but he was a badger where coaxing was concerned.

He and Melanie must have been living together off in Richmond ─ or else that's where she worked, so Darryl decided that we should spend some time out there.

Anytime I got involved with Darryl, it tended to be a lengthy experience ─ nothing was accomplished quickly.

Thus, drinks at both the Richmond Inn and the Skyline Hotel ─ neither incident of which I now recall.  Nor do I recall visiting his father John at any point, and being given a wristband for my watch.

I expect that this gallivanting with Darryl cost me a potential ride back to my room in New Westminster with my old friend William Alan Gill ─ he had probably left Mark & Jeanette's home by the time Darryl and I returned.

Or did I get a ride with Bill anyway?  Maybe he had not left ─ I do not actually say.  I only say that I finally went home after maybe having spent the two previous nights sleeping over at Mark & Jeanette's home.  

I may well have walked back to my New Westminster room ─ I was renowned as a walker by all who knew me.
Post a Comment