.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Saturday, July 18, 2015

★ Glyphosate (Roundup) Studies │ Too Many Nightmares? │ How Much Water Should We Drink Daily?

My younger brother Mark arrived home last evening around 8:30 p.m.

I was eventually to learn from him that he had to rise early this morning due to the need to oversee maintenance or repairs on his work truck, so I presumed that he meant that he would probably be retiring as if he was faced with a working day come the morning.

A few minutes after 10:00 p.m., he was passed out in his chair.

I was watching the latest episode of Dark Matter, so I continued to do so until 11:00 p.m.  Next I watched a very little bit of the 11:00 p.m. news as I finished my third and final can of beer, and then I went outside to water some of the plants in the front yard.

I came upstairs after that and did a few small things here at my computer, and I was probably in bed around 11:52 p.m.  Mark was still downstairs ─ conscious or not, I do not know.

I heard him bustling about early this morning, but I never checked to see the time.

When I rose for the day very soon after 8:00 a.m., he was clearly gone.

I sure wish that I had his drinking resources, for I can barely afford the activity.

I had intended to hike off to the government liquor store this morning to load up on beer, even though I have enough to carry me through to next weekend.

But a check of my bank account froze that course:  I only have $88.04 in my account, and I have no expected income until sometime during the last week of the month ─ i.e., sometime during the 28th to the 30th.

I still have a VISA card payment to make ─ it's due by the 22nd, although the minimum amount listed for that payment is just $13.  Normally, I would have mailed off a $150 cheque to more than cover the balance.

My wife Jack is going to have to rescue me from this predicament ─ I hope she gets paid rather soon.  I'll let her know the situation when next she comes home.

But it's such a sunny, hot day ─ it would have been great to have gotten away on an early hike for beer, benefiting from the slow four-mile round-trip walk.


There have been a recent flurry of studies and related reports concerning glyphosate and GM crops, if that maters to you.

I won't spend time going through them here ─ I'll just post a slightly modified introduction to them from theSparc.net:
The arbitrary notion of substantial equivalence of GM crops has been used to claim safety and avoid regulatory testing in the US and around the world.  Using a systems approach to see how genetic modification affects the host organism and its molecular pathways, Ayyadurai et al., (2015) find that genetic modification of glyphosate-tolerant GM soy results in the accumulation of formaldehyde, a probable human carcinogen. This calls for urgent in vitro and in vivo studies on the levels of formaldehyde in GM soy, which has not yet been done.

Sri Lanka’s farmers are being affected by a chronic kidney disease recently associated with exposure to both glyphosate and nephrotoxic heavy metals present in the local water supplies. A new publication looking at urine content of both heavy metals and glyphosate reveals that those affected by the disease have higher levels of glyphosate and certain heavy metals compared to reference levels (Jayasumana et al., 2015).

Glyphosate has become so ubiquitous in our environment that it is now being detected in standard lab feed, along with other pesticides (Mesnage et al., 2015). This finding complicates the interpretation of studies not only on the toxicity of glyphosate and other pesticides, but on unrelated fields such as oncology and endocrinology, within which glyphosate is thought to exert effects.

A Report from GenØk Centre for Biosafety, Norway assesses the sustainability of herbicide-tolerant crops, in particular the case of Intacta™ Roundup Ready™ 2 Pro Soybean Farming in Brazil. The report concludes a lack of knowledge regarding the sustainability of herbicide-tolerant crops, with limitations found in studies that claim safety and sustainability. Research often compares GM to conventional industrial production systems similar to GM agriculture, and also focuses on single trait GM crops instead of stacked traits that are increasingly common in GM farms.


Do you have very unusual dreams more often than you think is normal?

This short report released yesterday by the Health Sciences Institute (HSI) just may answer why you're having them:
You know better than to watch a horror movie before going to bed.

But it turns out there may be plenty of monsters and terrifying scenes hiding right inside that pill bottle.

People have described nightmares so horrific while taking certain drugs, it felt like they were "losing their mind."

And it isn't just one class of drugs that can fill your subconscious with frightful thoughts and apparitions while you sleep. Such mind-messing meds can include:
  • Statins,
  • Certain antibiotics, like Levaquin and Cipro,
  • Blood pressure meds, like beta blockers, ACE inhibitors and calcium channel blockers,
  • Anti-anxiety drugs,
  • ADHD remedies like Ritalin and Adderall, and
  • Sedatives and sleeping pills, such as Ambien and Lunesta.
But one drug seems to top the list for the worst night's sleep ever -- the stop-smoking med Chantix. Some Chantix users have found those bad dreams so severe, they were still highly agitated after they awoke.

The FDA even made the drugmaker put that on the label, warning of "vivid, unusual, strange or abnormal dreams."

Others, such as the cholesterol-lowering drug pravastatin, carry no such warnings. One woman whose husband was taking it reported he was having nightmares at least three or four times a week that caused him to kick her and hit her in the head, claiming he was fighting off a monster.

So what can you do to keep your sleep from becoming a recurrent ride through a haunted mansion? Well, if you suspect a medication is the cause -- especially if you're taking one of the drugs I've mentioned -- you should talk to your doc about cutting it out altogether or trying another remedy.

Plenty of doctors may not be aware of some of the nightmarish side effects of these drugs, so it's also a good idea to do a little research online and see how other patients are reacting to the meds. This is one of those situations where misery needs company.
The Health Sciences Institute (HSI) are a member site of NewMarketHealth.com.

Now let's take a look at water ─ are you one of those people who tries to drink some arbitrary amount each day?

If so, you're a dupe.  You've fallen for an enormously successful marketing campaign.

First, I'll let Dr. William Campbell Douglass II give his version of an introduction to the topic ─ this is a report he released yesterday:

Research confirms common water recommendations are bogus
Here's what passes for cutting-edge science these days: Researchers have "discovered" that you only need to drink water when you're thirsty.

I don't know what's more frightening -- the fact that someone did this study... or the fact that it's actually necessary!

The amount of misinformation and outright disinformation floating around about water is simply staggering. For example take that often repeated dopey advice that you need to drink at least 2 liters of water a day "for health."

Or, rather, DON'T take it -- because no one even knows where it came from.

The media repeats it ad nauseam as if it were some kind of biological necessity, but there's not a single shred of scientific evidence to back it up.

If you ask me, that "guideline" came straight from the marketing departments of the junk food companies -- which just so happen to own all the major brands of bottled water.

Now, it's one thing to sell a lie to the public at large, who are now happily lugging around so much bottled water in their bags that you'd think they were about to trek through Death Valley.

It's quite another to try to sell it to athletes desperate for any edge, with big-money contracts on the line every day. So this study was done to help them figure out how much water they ACTUALLY need for the best performance.

Turns out: very little.

The panel of experts confirmed just what I've been saying all along: The biggest problem facing folks these days isn't dehydration, even among sweaty athletes.

It's TOO MUCH water!

Athletes have been guzzling so much H20 that at least 14 have died from hyponatremia, aka a water overdose.

Instead of trying to meet some senseless target -- instead of guzzling water whether you want it or not -- the researchers offered up a tall, cool glass of common sense that works for athletes and the rest of us: Drink when you're thirsty.

Yes, it's that simple, although they tried their best to make it sound more complex. They call it the "innate thirst mechanism."

Gotta love researchers and their jargon.

Along with drinking only when you're thirsty, remember you don't need to stick to water. Contrary to popular opinion, coffee or beer won't "dehydrate" you unless you drink it by the gallon.

You can even get your liquid from food if you want.

But if you do choose water, make sure you get the clean stuff. For more on what's in your water and how to get it out, read this free report from my Daily Dose archives.

Firing up my BS detector,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

Here are a couple of other reports on that long and rather technical statement by the "experts:"

This turned into a low day for me.

Trapped at home due to financial restraints ─ unable to go for a senseless walk because I cannot bear venturing outside just to subject myself to the traffic-ridden streets and the omnipresent eyes of the public ─ I remained confined here to the house, and allowed myself to engage in the moral decay that will at least keep me from sitting up late into the night.

I never even sunned.  I have little heart for anything ─ not even some exercise.

I feel as if I would guzzle several ounces of hard liquor if I had any, and just surrender to sleep to try and escape the spiritual spiral that has taken me.

I am going to close today's post with this entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 24 years old, and living in a cheap housekeeping room in New Westminster
THURSDAY, July 18, 1974

A grey day.

I dreamed that Georgina was after me one dark night; eruptions dictated retreat.

I'll mail a letter to dad on my way to mom's, notifying him of my intent to move.

There was no mail.  Later, when I left, I walked to Mark's.

Art phoned me there; we have to make a pick up at 8:30 a.m.  He suggested doing it after his bath tonight, but did not phone back.

I should be abed 11:30 p.m.; Mark drove me ─ he took Cathy to work, so has to pick her up tonight at midnight.
Georgina Junglas was a beautiful woman with whom I shared a mutual sexual attraction, but we never managed to get anything happening.

We both worked part-time at S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends), a charitable organization in New Westminster ─ the charity now calls itself Fraserside community Services Society

If I am interpreting correctly what I wrote about the dream, Georgina was becoming aggressive with me one night, but my acne flare-up had robbed me of any confidence and I fled the scene.

Man!  Even in my dreams, she and couldn't couldn't get it on!

My mother Irene Dorosh and her husband Alex lived out in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey, in a small (now-demolished) home at 12106 - 90th Avenue.  The address was my mailing address.

It was a fair walk to arrive there from New Westminster, and I made the trip this day to find out that I had no mail to collect.

Later, instead of hiking back home, I instead walked over to the home that my younger brother Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther were renting on Bentley Road in Whalley.    

The phone call I received there was from Art Smith, another part-time employee of S.A.N.E.  I usually worked with him.  My role at S.A.N.E. was as a truck swamper on their blue pick-up truck; and in recent weeks, Art had been driving as well as swamping.

Art was in his early 40s, married, and the father of three kids.

We got along extremely well because we both liked to drink, and he loved having the company on the occasional evening when we would watch T.V. or listen to very old music ─ he had a collection of LPs of singers like Mario Lanza.

Anyway, he must have wanted to get that early chore that was scheduled for the next day, out of the way this particular evening.  However, I suspect that he likely got tempted by his love of sherry or vodka, and ended up getting blitzed at home.

Mark's girlfriend Jeanette worked at Scott Paper in New Westminster, so it was no problem for him to drive me home to my small room at 333 Pine Street.

What a sorry path I have trodden these past 41 years.
Post a Comment