.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

★ Unnecessary Prostate Surgery │ Fish Oil Supplements for Dry-Eye Disease │ Antiobotics Overuse

My big hope for today was to venture forth and do some needed grocery shopping.  However, a bad night's sleep scotched that hope.

I had gotten to bed before 11:45 p.m., and I do not recall any particular issue in falling asleep.

However, around 2:30 a.m., finding myself awake, I decided to use the bathroom and drink some water.

My infernal youngest step-son Pote was in there.

Although he and his older brother have a toilet downstairs, they come up here to (regularly) evacuate their bowels.  I expect some of the reason is because they do not want to leave their foul stench lingering about in their den area ─ better to pollute the atmosphere of the upstairs where three bedrooms and the bathroom are.

But he wasn't done ─ next came a shower.

At that, I had no choice but to go downstairs and use the toilet there to stroan, and have a good drink of water from the sink that is there.

For all I know, the 17-year-old prick was responsible for me finding myself awake.

God, I can barely wait until he starts working at Nike on Sunday!  I hope it's full-time.

I never rose this morning until after 8:30 a.m., but I felt like more than half the time I was in bed since that earlier break was time that I was awake.

It is 4:19 p.m. at this moment, and I hear Pote up from bed for the first time today.

What a wastrel.

I durst speak no more of him ─ my anger over last night is bubbling up again.

Perhaps I might have gotten away to shop during the latter morning if I had not become so embroiled in completing the post edit I had begun yesterday at my Siam-Longings website.

The post Udon Thani Real Estate had published back on September 16, 2012, via some automated blogging software.  However, when I visited it yesterday morning, all I found there was a YouTube video.

Everything else that is there now is the result of my labours these past two days.


I want now to reproduce an E-mail that I received around 7:30 a.m. back on March 2, 2014 ─ in other words, well over a year ago.
Hi,

My name is Tony from LoveInJapanese.net  We are currently gathering feedback to further improve our website.

I came across to your site from this page http://siamlongings.blogspot.com which seems to be somewhat relevant to our site.

Our site provides useful resources to learn Japanese love culture. You can check it out at http://loveinjapanese.net

If you could provide a feedback by writing about us on your site (doesn't matter good or bad, we are looking for honest review) in return our social marketing team will provide at least 25 facebook likes and tweets to help promote it.

Please let us know the URL to the review so we can help promote it.

If you happen to find our information useful please consider adding us to your resource section. We would really appreciate any feedback you could provide.

Kind Regards,

Tony
http://loveinjapanese.net
I never did respond, and neither did I write about the website ─ unless I'm forgetting.

I guess I could not understand why this 'Tony' felt that my blog here was "somewhat relevant to our site."  I didn't see any relevance ─ apart from me having married a woman from Thailand.

If you visit that website, you will see about close to 50 of what are claimed to be expressions of the term "love" in various of the Japanese dialects.

How can there be such a variety?

Regardless, I am not going to try and curry any "facebook likes and tweets" ─ I just decided to post the message because I was clearing out older messages from my E-mail Inbox, and that one was at the very far end and the next in line to experience deletion.

The day is another scorching hot sapper ─ I'd hate to have to be out there toiling in it; but I did get out into the backyard while wearing a pair of shorts, and scored at least 20 minutes sunning both my back and then my front.


The following is from theSparc.net:
Global bee declines are threatening food production. Pesticides have been linked to this decline, prompting bans in some regions of the world. A new study documents the deaths of bees in Ethiopia (Begna, 2015), attributes a dramatic decline of bees to indiscriminate use of pesticides including 2,4-D, Dimethoate, Ethiolathion and Karate 5EC. 
The abstract of the study is what you will find if you go to that link, but you can also select to see the Full Text.

I have a couple of reports from Dr. William Campbell Douglass II that he released two days ago.  Normally, I can do a pretty fair job of tracking down the studies he barely  makes reference to, but I failed with both of the concerned reports.

One of the reports involved prostate examinations, and the other a condition of chronic dry eyes.

Let's look at the prostate report first:

WARNING: New prostate scam aims to upgrade you straight to surgery
The word is out: The entire $13-billion-a-year prostate cancer industry was built on the back of a massive lie.

I broke open this scam DECADES ago, and was treated like a pariah for my troubles. Of course today, the mainstream admits I was right all along -- and now, even official guidelines say prostate cancer doesn't need to be screened.

But if you think an industry worth that much cash is going to quietly close shop and quit town -- if you think all those surgeons and clinics that specialize in prostate cancer are going to find a new line of work -- I've got a warning you HAVE to see and share.

It's the myth of "watch and wait."

It sounds so reasonable, doesn't it? Let's just keep an eye on it, right?

WRONG!

A watched pot may never boil, but a watched tumor WILL eventually get an upgrade -- and when it does, your doc will pounce like a cat that's done toying with its mouse.

For him, it's not "watch and wait." It's "watch, wait... and operate," because he's still planning to squeeze every cent he can out of your poor prostate, even if it takes a little longer than it used to.

But if your own tumor's been upgraded, there's a new study you need to see before you sign up for surgery -- because it shows that many men on "watch and wait" can keep right on waiting.

Those who do so see no further upgrade over 5 years by a 2:1 margin.

Among those who have surgery, a post-op biopsy finds that just 6 percent had tumors that continued to progress, while 34 percent were actually DOWNGRADED again.

The rest held steady.

So skip the scalpel when you can, and that's most of the time. Fact is, if a tumor's going to kill you, it's probably already too late -- because deadly prostate cancers are almost never spotted in time.

Don't lose any sleep over that; those kinds of tumors are exceedingly rare.

The rest -- the tumors you're far more likely to have -- grow so slowly that you'll see a manned mission to Pluto before they have a chance to do you in.

That's why this is one time when your best bet is old-fashioned ignorance. Ignorance usually isn't worth celebrating -- but when it comes to prostate cancer, it really is bliss.

Watching and waiting,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.
Believe it or not, there seem to be several recent published studies involving prostate examinations, and I was unsure just what specific study he was speaking about ─ he doesn't provide enough evidence to be sure.

A report on one of the studies is at consumer.healthday.com ('Watchful Waiting' Becoming More Common for Prostate Cancer Patients), but none of the statistics they use match anything Dr. Douglass expressed.

And the wee bit of the study available to the general public is so terse that it also offers no statistics matching anything the two reports stated ─ this is the study:  Trends in Management for Patients With Localized Prostate Cancer, 1990-2013 (doi: 10.1001/jama.2015.6036).

So I have no idea if Dr. Douglass and Health Day are reporting on the same study or not.

As I said, I fared no better with his dry-eye report:

Soothe irritated peepers with the dry-eye cure you can swallow
I've spent a lot of time rubbing my eyes lately, but not because I'm tired.

It's in pure disbelief over the "dumb and dumber" world around us. From dumb court rulings to dumber politicians, I keep thinking it must all be just a bad dream... and I expect to wake up any minute now.

Someone pinch me already -- because I've had enough of this nightmare!

But if you're rubbing your eyes for reasons other than disbelief -- if it seems like they're always red and raw -- you're probably among the 80 million Americans battling the constant misery of itchy dry eyes.

You've probably found out firsthand that any relief you get from eye drops is fleeting at best.

And when the dryness returns, it's worse than ever.

That's because unless your dry eyes are caused by something simple, like contacts, nothing in an overpriced little squirt bottle will fix it... but something in a bigger, cheaper bottle will: fish oil.

The human eyeball is like a sponge for omega-3 fatty acids, especially DHA, sucking up as much of this stuff as it can get -- and if you don't have enough rushing through your blood, your eye will starve.

Over the long run, that's a recipe for serious vision problems, including macular degeneration.

But long before you reach that point, you'll find yourself so dried out that you'll be rubbing your eyes like a toddler before naptime.

You can fix those shriveled up peepers by taking omega-3 supplements, and one new study finds that 70 percent of older women given a blend of fish oil and some eye-friendly vitamins were completely cured of dry eyes within three months.

By comparison, just 15 percent of women on an olive oil placebo got the same results.

So give it a shot -- and if that doesn't do the trick, your dry eyes are probably the result of something else, almost certainly a hormonal issue.

One reason dry eyes are so much more common among older women is that women suffer from more sudden and more severe hormonal imbalances, especially after menopause.

Natural hormone therapy can fix dry eyes and so many other problems, including far worse complaints such as fatigue and low libido. I recommend working closely with an experienced member of the American Academy for Advancement in Medicine.

Try their Physician+Link tool to locate a practitioner near you.

Keeping an eye out for you,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.
I located two identical reports titled Omega 3 Fish Oil Could Help Dry Eye Menopausal Symptomshere and here.

You will note that they state "...a recent study was noted that found that 70% of women who took omega 3 fish oil supplements reported be asymptomatic within a short time period of adding the supplement to their daily diet."

Yet if you go to the link provided for that "recent study," you end up at this October 2012 article titled Omega-3 and dry eye.

So just what the Heck is our definition of "recent?"  To my mind, recent means within a couple or so months.  Something from several years back is decidedly NOT recent.  

Can I be that far off track?

I want to conclude this section with another report from two days ago ─ this time, by the Health Sciences Institute (HSI) concerning antibiotics and 'superbugs.'

A plague of our own making
Zachary Doubek is your typical 12-year-old boy. He's obsessed with baseball, football and just about any other sport you can imagine.

And he's awfully lucky to be alive.

Because last year Zachary was nearly killed by a MRSA infection that started in his knee. The kind of bacterial infection that could have been nipped in the bud just a few years ago with a simple antibiotic.

But one by one -- after years of overuse -- the antibiotics we've relied upon for years are becoming worthless. They're failing to stop a deadly rise of antibiotic-resistant "superbugs" that are a greater threat to our lives than ever before.

And with a key member of Congress even admitting that our government isn't trying to keep us safe, now is the time to take matters into our own hands.

Zachary was one of the lucky ones. It took a medically induced coma and six surgeries, but he survived.

But antibiotic-resistant superbugs are going to kill nearly 40,000 Americans…young and old… this year alone.

Before long, experts are warning that superbugs could kill one out of every six people who undergo a hip transplant and could turn even a simple infected cut or abrasion into a death sentence.

Just think about that for a moment. Twenty five years ago, superbug infections were practically unheard of. Ten years ago, you rarely saw them outside of hospital settings.

And now, superbugs are only a couple years from becoming one of the 10 leading causes of death in the United States -- right alongside heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

It's a problem that even Alexander Fleming, who discovered penicillin, saw coming 70 years ago. He watched as certain bacteria became resistant to penicillin, and warned about the coming "evil" of superbugs if antibiotics were overused.

But now that evil is here, and our government isn't doing much to stop it.

A few months ago, President Obama released his big strategy to fight these superbugs. But even though the plan will cost us taxpayers $1.2 billion, it's still a day late and a dollar short.

And the biggest place it fell short was down on the farm. Obama had the chance to stop the rampant, unnecessary use of antibiotics in farm animals -- a major source of our exposure to the drugs. Only he didn't.

Believe it or not, 80 percent of all the antibiotics sold in the U.S. are given to livestock. The drugs make animals gain weight quickly so they can be sold for more money at slaughter. But all those antibiotics head straight for the food supply and our stomachs, and they're a major contributor to the rise of antibiotic-resistant superbugs.

And while Obama claimed he had developed a "comprehensive plan" to fight antibiotic resistance, all he proposed was a voluntary policy that lets the beef and poultry industries police themselves.

I'll give you one guess how that's going. Antibiotic use in livestock is actually increasing, not decreasing.

As Congresswoman Louise Slaughter put it, "your government is not going to protect you" from antibiotic overexposure and superbugs.

Which is why we have to learn how to protect ourselves. Here are a few simple… but potentially life-saving… steps that can get you started:    
  • Don't take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. Doctors and dentists will often zip off an Rx when it's not needed, and many patients will even ask for antibiotics on their own.
  • If you really do need an antibiotic, ask your doctor for one that targets your specific infection, not a broad spectrum one. That may require a bacterial culture be done, but it's well worth it.
  • Antibiotic creams like Neosporin should also be used sparingly. In fact, a study published in the CDC's monthly journal said that Neosporin is likely contributing to a new, antimicrobial resistant strain of MRSA.
  • When buying beef and chicken, either go the organic route, or look for a label that says "No antibiotics." Steer clear of meaningless claims such as "All Natural."Superbugs are so much in the limelight now that Consumer Reports will be running a three-part series called "The Rise of Superbugs," explaining in detail how antibiotic overuse has led us to where we are today.
To check out the first part of the series, click here.
The situation out there is getting downright scary.


Here to close today's post is an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 24 years old, and living in a cheap housekeeping room in New Westminster.
MONDAY, July 8, 1974

The old bastard upstairs cursed and swore outside the door while I bathed this morning; how sad that the prick was inconvenienced so ─ may his life end!

The day is cloudy.

July's Barbie Lewis = evil, about 11:40 a.m.

I shall mail $4.40 for the book How to Know the Aquatic Plants.

On my way to S.A.N.E. ─ to find out if last week's meeting is this week, or entirely cancelled, and to, vain hope, possibly be led astray by Art ─ I was found by David.

I drank Esther's two Labatt's.
The rooming house I lived in only had the one bathroom for all tenants ─ and of course, that was also the location of the place's only toilet.

I was mostly unhappy living at (I think) 333 Pine Street.  Heck, I couldn't even lock my room's door from the inside!  When I retired at night, it was unlocked ─ although I likely put a chair or something under the knob.  But I'm guessing.

I know I probably slept with a knife under my pillow.

Despite the miserable experience with a neighbour, I seem to have had need for some manual sexual release late that morning ─ thanks to a model named Barbie Lewis in some girlie magazine.

I see with some research that there is a book titled How to Know the Aquatic Plants that is attributed to a G.W. Prescott.  If it's the same tome, I have no idea whatever became of it ─ I certainly cannot lay claim to remembering it.

I read very widely, and loved learning from books.

I was only employed one day per week ─ generally on a Friday ─ at a charitable organization in New Westminster called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends).  I worked as a truck swamper on their blue pick-up truck.

Today S.A.N.E. is called Fraserside Community Services Society.

I had wasted time the previous week by showing up for a staff meeting, but instead found the building locked tight.  Evidently I wanted to find out this day if the meeting had simply been rescheduled, or if it was done with.

Art Smith was also employed there part-time, but two days per week.  He was a Nova Scotian in his early 40s who loved to drink ─ I must have been in the mood, and was hoping he would seize upon me as a drinking companion.  It took little encouragement for either of us.

Philip David Prince was an old friend I had known since we both started Grade VIII at Newton Junior High School during the 1962/1963 school term out in Surrey.  But like me, he was also living in a housekeeping room in New Westminster, and employed part-time at S.A.N.E.

Esther St. Jean was the usual driver of the S.A.N.E. truck, but Art seemed to have taken over on the days that he worked, and she probably stayed home.  However, she was around that day, and must have turned over a couple of bottles of Labatt's beer to me.

Art likely was not working that day.
Post a Comment