.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Thursday, May 26, 2016

★ Horseradish for Cancer Prevention! │ America's New and Utterly Useless Nutrition Labels │ The Latest Research on Cellphones and Health

We've finally had some rain to go with the darned cloudy weather that's been doing its best to hang around for the past 10 days or so.

I wanted to resupply on beer this morning, so after knocking off from working at the new post I set up this past Monday at my Amatsu Okiya website, I began readying for the four-mile round-trip to the government liquor store at 108th Avenue & King George Boulevard in Whalley.

My youngest step-son Pote had left for work ahead of 8:30 a.m., and his older brother Tho was still in bed when finally I set off at 9:55 a.m.

The rain was never more than a good spray, but it was effectively wetting everything.

The only notable incident throughout the round-trip was that I encountered a raccoon that was walking along a tall wooden fence ─ the critter was being harassed by some crows.

The raccoon was working its way in my direction atop the fence that was at my left as I advanced towards 100th Avenue along what might one day become 133rd Street.

I kept an easy pace and didn't try to look like I was interested in the animal as we came abreast of one another and then passed each other by.

Only after I had advanced did I turn and try to take a photo ─ only to discover that I had left my camera on video mode.

Desperately, I tried to switch over to photo mode without thinking, for the video would have been perfectly fine had I my wits with me at the time!

Alas, the raccoon was gone by the time I was set to take a photograph.

So all I have are maybe two seconds of shaky video of the racoon at the end of the fence as I looked back, and then the camera video jumps erratically as I quickly attempt to switch over to photo mode.


I had come from that walkway opening that is blocked to any vehicular traffic by three metal posts.

The route I was using is that intermittently dark 'trail' working its way up centrally from the bottom part of this Google map.  As I said, I had almost reached 100th Avenue.

Anyway, at the liquor store I bought my two dozen cans of strong (8% alcohol) beer, and splurged on a mickey of white rum ─ I wanted to get a 710-ml bottle of a Jamaican amber-coloured rum, but my bank account balance is too dangerously low.

As was, the purchases left me with $55 and change in the account until probably this coming Tuesday when I should get my monthly pension.

Just before arriving back home ─ in fact, I was in the alleyway beside our home ─ I took these three photos of a sign erected today at a clump of knotweed:




Our backyard is on the other side of that fence, and the knotweed backs the fenced rear of the backyard shed I often mention ─ you can just make out the shed's siding in that first photo if you look through the boards of the fence at the bottom right of the sign. 

The trip took about 1½ hours, and I found Tho finally up for the day.

I meant to seek a nap after a breakfast/lunch, but I was wayward and squandered at least a couple of hours ─ and my eyesight ─ doing nothing of distinction.  In fact, definitely the contrary.

And I have no more I care to say concerning my day. 

╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦

I can't say that I've ever noticed horseradish ─ the vegetable, that is ─ for sale in places I shop at.

But I don't look for it ─ maybe it is there in one or more of the stores I go to.

If cancer is any concern to you, then check out this report:

For years it's been the Holy Grail of medicine.

Drug companies have spent billions trying to develop a cure that could kill cancer cells while leaving your healthy tissue untouched.

Now a group of University of Illinois researchers say they've finally found it.

It's not some pill or IV drip that's going to cost you an arm and a leg, either. It's a superfood that may be sitting in your refrigerator right now.

But chances are it hasn't crossed your mind, let alone your dinner plate, in quite a while.

When was the last time you had some horseradish?

That's right, horseradish.

You probably think of it as just a condiment. Something you use to make hot sauce or spice up an occasional Bloody Mary.

Well, bring that bottle of horseradish to its rightful place in the front of your refrigerator -- because it has a lot more going for it than you could ever imagine.

Horseradish is a member of that group of cancer fighters we've all been told to eat more of called cruciferous vegetables. But while broccoli and kale -- even cabbage -- have become superstars of healthy eating, the horseradish root somehow got left at the curb.

What this latest study uncovered, however, is that not only is horseradish right up there with those well-known cancer-fighting vegetables, it's even more powerful than a bushel of broccoli.

The researchers were able to document how horseradish, which contains ten times the amount of cancer-fighting compounds that broccoli does, works to keep us healthy and cancer-free.

These compounds are called glucosinolates, and they're the key players in these vegetables that make them such potent weapons against numerous cancers.

But if chugging down kale shakes, boiled turnips or cabbage stew isn't your idea of a delicious lunch or dinner, there's more good news here for you.

Mosbah Kushad, a crop scientist at the University of Illinois and lead researcher, said that just a teaspoon of horseradish is enough to give you all the benefits this spicy root has to offer.

This isn't the first time Kushad has closely examined the health benefits of horseradish. In a previous study he and his team found that those glucosinolates help the liver to detoxify carcinogens as well as to "suppress the growth of existing cancerous tumors."

That sure sounds like something Pfizer or Merck wish they had created!

On top of that, horseradish actually becomes healthier when processed. That allows for an enzyme it contains to make glucosinolates become even more effective.

And if stopping cancer in its tracks wasn't enough for you, here are some other health benefits that horseradish has to offer:
  • A half teaspoon of the grated root is an effective treatment for sinusitis.
  • Horseradish has potent antibiotic properties, and is especially good at treating UTIs.
  • Other research has found that those anti-cancer compounds may also protect us from exposure to toxic chemicals in the environment.
With all these benefits, there's no reason not to start incorporating horseradish into your diet right now.

So how about mixing it with some mayo as a sandwich spread? Or into a salad dressing, cheese dip, a quick steak or fish sauce or even using it as a topping for one of those other healthy veggies like broccoli to give it some pizazz? That would sure make for a cancer-fighting heavyweight!

And last, but certainly not least, Bloody Marys, anyone?
That's pretty exciting stuff!

Here are a couple of other reports about this:



╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦

I sure hope that ingredient lists are never superseded by so-called nutrition labels, because what's in store down in the States certainly does sound like madness:

It's hard to believe that the most lasting fiasco from the Obama administration will be found in the supermarket.

For the first time in 20 years, the boxes that say "Nutrition Facts" that you see on every processed food label are going to be changed.

And not for the better.

When these big changes were first announced at the White House last year, I told you that they looked like a super-sized disaster.

And now that the dust has settled and the FDA has made them official, they're not looking any better.

Despite the fact that we're being told this is the "latest scientific knowledge" to help us eat healthier, it actually looks more like a way to help us eat more -- and know even less about the food we're buying.

When these new food labels were finally unveiled last week, the self-appointed queen of nutrition, First Lady Michelle Obama, said that soon we won't need "a microscope, a calculator or a degree in nutrition" to know if the food we're buying is "actually good for our kids."

Well, that may be a good sound bite -- but it holds water about as well as a leaky rowboat.

First off, the big change that everyone is crowing about concerns portion sizes. And it sounds like a bunch of kindergarteners thought it up.

Instead of posting a normal-sized food or drink serving, the FDA and Michelle Obama have decided to give in to America's obesity epidemic.

The new labels will list the "serving size" as the enormous, unhealthy portion that many Americans eat instead.

Explain to me how upping the serving size on Ben & Jerry's ice cream to the entire pint is supposed to make us any healthier?

So don't be surprised when the label on your favorite food claims it now has twice as many calories as it used to. Apparently our government doesn't believe you can sit down to dinner without scarfing down an entire box of spaghetti or chugging a two-liter bottle of soda.

Seriously, what were they thinking?

But that's not the only absurdity your tax dollars have paid for here. Next comes the biggest fiasco of them all.

These new nutrition labels will also tell us the total amount of "sugars" that have been added to a food or beverage.

That may seem logical enough. But the new "added sugars" section won't distinguish between honey, maple syrup, regular sugar, or high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).

They'll literally be able to hide HFCS on these nutrition labels. That was a gift to the corn refiners' lobby, plain and simple.

And it's something that the Sugar Association says lacks "scientific justification."

I hate to say it, but they've hit the sugar-coated nail smack on the head.

If we look at the latest science where HFCS is concerned, as I've been telling you, it's even more dangerous than we thought. HFCS doesn't just add calories, but toxic calories that have been found to cause everything from obesity to diabetes to heart disease and life-threatening liver damage.

Look, Mrs. Obama, I'm sure you mean well, but catering to Big Food is no way to make sure we're feeding our kids (and ourselves) any healthier.

What we need is to cut through the food fog and actually spell it out so we all know exactly what's in a product.

How about a line on these new labels for brain-damaging additives like MSG? You could call it something like "Added Brain Poisons."

Or why not a listing of artificial colors and preservatives. That could be called "ADHD Additives," or maybe "Cancer-Causing Colors."

But the real truth here is that all these things can be found at the one place Big Food wishes would go away. And that's the ingredient list, something that will still be required on food and drinks.

The print may be a bit smaller, but it's the only thing that will really tell you what's in your food.

en.wikipedia.org: Nutrition facts label

╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦

So very few people are going to act upon cellphone research that indicts the devices as being harmful, that I sometimes think it is almost useless publishing the findings.

For the longest time the big question has been: Do cellphones cause cancer?

If you ask the FDA, FCC, or the CDC, you'll be told that the science is settled and they are safe.

But maybe they should hold the phone on that question. Because current research is telling us something entirely different.

Especially where our kids are concerned.

Now, a new study has come out with the strongest warning yet on cellphone use.

And those who are in the greatest danger are the tiniest and most vulnerable ones of all.

"As a grandmother, I can tell you we have enough knowledge that we cannot continue to experiment on our children."

That's what Dr. Devra Davis, founder of the Environmental Health Trust has to say about some just-out research on cellphones and kids.

Dr. Davis came together with researchers from Harvard and Yale to present the findings at a pediatric conference in Baltimore.

And the bottom line is: If you're pregnant, keep that phone far away from your tummy.

You see, our government may claim that the radiation from cell phones is as safe as a lollipop -- but not all scientific organizations agree with that.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer, for example, classifies the kind of radiation cellphones give off as a possible cause of cancer in humans.

And that's a really big problem for kids, because their brains can absorb twice as much radiation as adult brains.

An infant's developing brain is especially susceptible, researchers say.

And, unfortunately, the risk doesn't seem to end with cancer.

Exposing babies' brains to cellphone radiation in the womb may have other serious health effects that we're just beginning to understand.

Dr. Hugh Taylor, from the Yale School of Medicine, conducted an experiment where he put cellphones on top of cages with pregnant mice. When the mice were born, they had symptoms that looked a whole lot like ADHD, or even autism.

Those baby mice were "bouncing off the walls," Dr. Taylor said.

Plus, "they weren't paying attention to their surroundings," and had a significant decrease in their memory.

Dr. Martha Herbert, with Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital, claims that electronic signals (including WiFi) can disturb something called "calcium signaling" that allows our brains to keep information flowing smoothly.

Look, I know it's impossible to take all this technology, put it back in its box and make it go away.

Most of us are so addicted to our cellphones that we wouldn't even want that to happen.

But we can still do some things to keep ourselves and our kids (even the ones who haven't arrived yet) safer.

For example:
  • If you're expecting, keep that phone as far away from your stomach as possible. Putting it in your purse won't stop the radiation.
  • Cut back on your cellphone use by only using it for calls. If you need to send emails or surf the Web, use your trusty desktop computer or laptop.
  • Guys need to be careful, too, and not put cellphones in their pockets. Studies have found that can cause both impotence and low sperm counts.
Dr. Devra Davis was interviewed in an article published 'way back on October 7, 2012, about cellphone dangers:


╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦

I am now going to close with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

My mother Irene Dorosh lived in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey ─ the little house is gone now, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue.  That was my mailing address. 

I would walk out to there from New Westminster at least twice a week ─ at a fast pace, the journey would take about 1½ hours.

And of course, I would walk home later.

My mother's husband Alex had been away on a two-week charter tour of the U.S.S.R., but he evidently arrived back on this particular day.
MONDAY, May 26, 1975

A clouded day.

My walk to mom's was easy enough, but Alex was home; he'd just arrived this morning.  He had a number of interesting items from the USSR, and gave me a white plastic pen in the shape of a quill.

I had a snack with them, then accompanied mom to relieve Sherry in the wait for the BC Tel to come and put in a long cord on Phyllis' phone.  And there we stayed till I left at 2:30 p.m.

Of a $4.75 medium beef & onion pizza mom sent me for, I paid 75¢ plus 30¢ for a Pepsi whilst waiting.

For mail I've a $5 tithe receipt, a postal ad, and an ad for what smells of a phony book re a miracle "secret" protein.

My walk home was, as usual, upsetting.

I've typed a letter re The Defenders #26 to be mailed tomorrow.

I had a fair workout when my diet is taken into account; I hope the rest of the week is as successful, with my fruit diet and, hopefully, sunning sessions.

I shall be abed tonight by 9:00 p.m.
I remember nothing of the white plastic quill-shaped pen that Alex had given me.

Sherry was and is the daughter of my older maternal half-sister Phyllis.

It's interesting that someone from BC Tel would actually have to pay a visit to install a long telephone cord ─ can't we just buy those things for ourselves now and hook 'em up without a hitch?

The pizza must have been bought while we were at Phyllis's home, but I now have no clear memory of where it was that she was living.  Apparently it was from there that I hiked back to New Westminster ─ a disagreeable journey, as it turned out.

I was growing to hate those long walks because of all the damned traffic.  I cannot imagine daring such walks today!

The mail I mentioned finding at my mother's home included a receipt from the Worldwide Church of God for a small tithe; an advertisement from Canada Post for the latest commemorative stamps (I frequently bought a pane of stamps just to use on my mailings because I found the definitives to be too commonplace and boring); and that suspicious book about some mystery protein.   

Anyway, after walking back to my room, I typed up that fan letter to Marvel Comics concerning The Defenders #26 ─ I had just bought the comic-book the day before, I believe.  I was a huge fan of the super-hero genre.

And with that explained, I had best proofread this post and get it published. 
Post a Comment