.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Friday, May 27, 2016

When and When Not to Be Concerned About Your Blood-Pressure │ Maggot Therapy to Prevent Amputations and Related Complications

I managed to make it to bed ahead of 11:00 p.m. last night.

At some point I was awakened by my wife Jack who had come home unexpectedly from Vancouver.

I must have been well-sprawled under the covers ─ she was wanting me to make room for her.

Apart from that, it was another typical night's sleep, and I was ready to rise by 7:00 a.m.  So I did my best to extricate myself without undue bother of Jack, whom I doubted was likely sleeping anyway.

I spent longer finishing up the new post that I had begun on Monday at my Amatsu Okiya website than I had expected ─ Jack actually got up for the day before I had it completed and published.

But she was occupied with a sorting of her clothes in the bedroom, and I persevered until I was finally done:  Geisha New York II.


Anyway, the noon-hour is expiring as I type these words, and Jack has gone off to do some shopping or something ─ she will be back anon.

I just wanted to get a start on this post.

The day is mainly overcast ─ we even had a darned cold rain for awhile in the morning. 

╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩

Here are some NewMarketHealth.com eye-related advice for folks who own a dog:
Who can resist a pup's big brown eyes?

Unfortunately, he can't tell you when those eyes are giving him trouble or his vision isn't as sharp as it should be.

But there are ways you can tell if your dog is suffering from an eye problem or injury. Even something as simple as your dog rubbing his face on the ground can indicate a problem.

Other tell-tale signs to watch for include:
  • Eyes that are cloudy, have a discharge or are red.
  • Avoidance of light or excessive tearing.
  • Being able to see a dog's third eyelid (they should retract when his eyes are open).
  • Stumbling, tripping or seeming to be more cautious in walking.
Those symptoms can include conditions ranging from cataracts, corneal ulcers and conjunctivitis (pink eye) to in-growing eyelids, injuries, infection or simple irritation.

Tearing or a partially closed eye, for example, can be a sign of a corneal ulcer, which can come from an injury -- possibly a scratch from the family cat, or a poke from a thorn or stick.

And certain breeds such as Pekingese, pugs and Shih Tzus are much more likely to sustain injuries to their cornea.

Another easy way for Buddy or Fido to end up with an eye problem is by doing a favorite of dogs everywhere -- sticking their heads out of a moving car window. Not only can things blow into their eyes, but the wind can dry them out causing irritation or even an infection.

While many conditions can be treated at home, it's always a good idea to let your vet take a look.

And just like the foods we're told to eat for our vision, supplementing your best friend's diet with things like parsley, carrots, or any blue or purple berries can also help keep their eyesight sharp. 

╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩

I have absolutely no idea what my blood-pressure is.  I suspect that it may be a little on the high side, but I just don't care.

Reports like the following one add to my comfort:

Odds are, your blood pressure has gone up a little over the years -- and odds are, the only reason you even know that is because your doc won't shut up about it.

No doubt, he's used every little bump in BP as an excuse to pressure you into taking meds.

Well, my friend, I hope you've resisted his push -- because new research proves that rising blood pressure levels as you age are perfectly normal, and perfectly HARMLESS, too!

If those levels rise slow and steady, you've got nothing to worry about.

In fact, the study finds that folks who have slowly rising blood pressure over the years have the LOWEST risk of stroke and the LOWEST risk of dying from non-stroke causes such as heart disease... even if the numbers eventually reach the range of stage 2 hypertension.

Care to guess who has the highest risk of stroke and death from non-stroke conditions?

It's the folks who not only have picture-perfect blood pressure... but also see those levels DROP as they got older.

Of course, that doesn't happen naturally. The only way BP levels drop as we get older, in most cases, is when docs shove meds at us -- and in the study, those were the folks more likely to be on drugs.

Yet those low BP levels and meds didn't save them.

If anything, they may have KILLED them!

The real issue isn't blood pressure that rises slowly over time, as this study shows so clearly. It's when it jumps suddenly, because these folks also had a higher risk of stroke and death.

And meds won't help you when your BP is making leaps and bounds, because high BP level itself isn't a disease of its own. It's a symptom... a sign of something gone screwy in your body... and drugs only attack that symptom without fixing the problem that caused it.

And THAT'S why you can “cure” your high blood pressure with meds -- and be considered perfectly healthy by your doctor's standards -- and yet drop dead of a stroke the very next day.

So here's the real deal: If your BP levels have been slowly rising over the years, don't stress it.

As the new study shows, they're not going to hurt you.

But if they start rising out of the blue... if they've jumped so high it's like they're training for the Olympics... you don't need a med. You need a doc with the smarts to figure out what's going on inside your body to send it skyrocketing.

Easing up the pressure....

If this is of interest to you, then here are some further reports on that study:




╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩

I've known for some time that leeches figure into Western medical practice to some degree...but maggots?

This is new to me!

I hope you didn't just finish your lunch, because this next report might have it coming right back up.

And if you haven't eaten yet, you'll lose your appetite in a New York minute!

Because today, we're talking maggots.

Medical maggots, that is, and they're starting to make a forgotten practice from a century ago the new frontier of cutting-edge modern medicine. Those nasty little bugs that you'd usually want nothing to do with could turn out to be your best friend some day, especially if you're a diabetic with wounds that won't heal or you end up needing an amputation.

I know what you're thinking: NOPE.

Heck, that was my own first reaction.

But as antibiotics continue to fail -- and, in some cases, even make infections worse or cause deadly new infections -- this time-tested, science-backed and, let's face it, all-natural therapy is primed for a big-time comeback, according to a new report in Mosaic Science.

It's even been given a less icky name -- “larval therapy” -- and it's been approved by the FDA as a “medical device.”

Maggots are highly effective for diabetics suffering from problem wounds that won't heal, doctors have found, because the bugs dissolve bacteria and dead flesh and then suck it up like a vacuum cleaner.

They can even chew through the protective “biofilm” that bacteria use to coat wounds and shield themselves from medication.

And they do all this without nibbling on your healthy flesh.

Docs are finding that it's more thorough and effective than sharp debridement, a highly painful procedure in which a scalpel is used to clear away dead and infected flesh.

Because bacteria are experts at hide-and-seek, the knife often misses some spots and the infection comes roaring back.

But not maggots -- those hungry little suckers don't miss a thing!

In some cases, scheduled amputations due to non-healing open wounds on the toes and feet have been CANCELED, thanks to the maggots.

Along with being safe and natural, maggots are also painless. Well, you won't feel any physical pain, but the psychological horror of having bugs eating away at your dead flesh is another story.

Hopefully you won't ever have to find out firsthand how well you can deal with the heebie-jeebies of “larval therapy.” But given its high rate of success and low risk of complications, don't be afraid to ask for it if you end up with a wound that won't heal... and especially if your doc thinks an amputation might be in your future.

Just be sure not to eat lunch right before your appointment.

Gone buggy....
This is the MosaicScience.com report being referred to:  How maggots made it back into mainstream medicine.

That's pretty darned cool!

But I wonder how many amputations have gone through by surgeons unversed in maggot therapy?  Plenty, I'm certain.

cares4umy.blogspot.com: MAGGOT DEBRIDEMENT THERAPY

╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩

My wife Jack finally left shortly after 3:30 p.m. to return to Vancouver, leaving behind a great-looking selection of dishes to enjoy.

I'm going to leave things at that, and close now with this entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.
TUESDAY, May 27, 1975

Almost 10:15 a.m. I opened my door preparing to go out to the lake to sun, and discovered the sky thick with threatening clouds, though all morn I've but noticed sunshine.  

How defeating!

I think I'll go anyway, and at least get my salamander searching over with, also mailing my Marvel letter.

I was miserable.  I tramped about fruitlessly; I even experienced a bush negotiation that was all ordeal.  I emerged near the Cariboo Road freeway access.

I hereby damn all effing curs; how I'd enjoy destroying all the bastards that challenge me!

Anyway, all I collected were a snail and a carnivorous larva.  I succeeded in losing my comb, and developing a slight head throb.

I found it full needful to lie down about two hours, sleeping mostly.

Later, towards 6:00 p.m., I heard the dame upstairs come down and deliver a letter to my container; it was from dad, who said they'd moved to 5870 Sunset St. in Burnaby.

This night I shall be in bed by 8:45 p.m.; I finished The Clocks of Iraz this morning, and tonight, with nothing to do, I've commenced interesting Weirdbook One
It was Burnaby Lake that I had meant to go for some sunning.

I never went to the shore ─ I remained fairly close to the freeway, but basically out of sight of traffic and anyone passing by.

I'm confused why I would have been searching for salamanders ─ I had just recently released some salamander tadpoles and eggs that I had managed to locate out in Surrey.

Perhaps I wanted to acquire an adult salamander instead of raising any from tadpoles?

At any rate, to the lake I went, mailing a fan letter to Marvel Comics on my way.

It was a good hike to get to the lake from where I lived on Ninth Street, immediately above Third Avenue, in New Westminster.

I don't really remember trudging through the thick bush, but apparently I traveled a considerable distance doing so ─ and probably being beset by dogs, for an occasional dog-owner would take his or hers and let the beasts run loose, not expecting anyone to be present in the thick wild growth thereabouts.  

I suppose that the "carnivorous larva" was something like a dragonfly or damselfly

But I remember none of this now.

Anyway, it evidently took a heck of a lot out of me, requiring a nap once I was back at my room again.

I was renting in a regular house ─ it wasn't a rooming house or anything like that.  Any mail that might come there for me was left in a receptacle within the basement.  I had both a door to the outside, plus one to access the basement where I had a toilet and a shower cubicle.

Oddly, I do not remember my father Hector ever living in the area where that address is.  The building appears to be a longish three-story apartment complex (see here, if the link continues to remain valid).

As for what I was reading, I vaguely recognize the title The Clocks of Iraz, but I remember nothing of the tale itself.

I wonder what the fiction fanzine Weirdbook One would be worth today?

I had so many different fiction fanzines, comic-book fanzines, comic-books, and hardcover fantasy fiction ─ if only I had been able to retain everything!

But some harsh times were ahead for me....
Post a Comment