.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Monday, June 27, 2016

High Cholesterol Is Generally Beneficial │ Stay Clear of Prolia for Prevention of Breast Cancer │ Study Richly Reveals Church-Going Women Far Outlive Non-Church-Goers

I'm unclear now on just when it was that I made it to bed last night, but it was before midnight.

I don't actually recall what time it was when I rose for the day this morning, too ─ all I can say is that it was after 7:00 a.m. and well before 8:00 a.m.

I had been having some rather interesting dreams, but all memory of them are now gone.

I didn't feel especially rested.  The best thing about the morning was that when I went downstairs to prepare my morning's hot beverage, I was able to confirm that my eldest step-son Tho had gone to work ─ his car wasn't here.

I had some concerns that he might blow the day off.

And with his younger brother Pote away to Kelowna until Wednesday, comparative peace reigned in this house.  The sole flaw was that I just did not feel all that hale.

I wanted to do a little grocery shopping, but I became too involved with the new post I have been working on at my Siam-Longings website since Saturday.

By the time I had finished what I had wanted to do...I was close to being finished as well.

Yesterday I had managed to incur a muscle spasm that feels to be just down from my left scapula (shoulder blade), and I exacerbated the condition this morning while doing a few pull-ups that were clearly negatively affecting that region. 

I wanted to return to bed.

However, it was a fairly sunny day, and it has been well over a week, I think, since I last sunbathed on the backyard sundeck.

So at 12:14 p.m., I commenced what was to be at least 68 minutes lying out on that old deck.  Occasionally there was some cloud, but those few occasions never long obscured the Sun.

I am going to have to be more disciplined tomorrow morning about the shopping ─ nothing will have precedence over it.

««««««««««««««

I watched the series finale episode on Friday evening of Person of Interest ─ I'm going to miss that show.

When my wife Jack was here from Vancouver early Saturday evening until almost 2:30 p.m. yesterday afternoon, I kept pondering whether I should tune it in for her, but she never seemed to be in any frame of mind to just sit and watch an entire show.

She used to love the series in the first couple of seasons ─ but that was back when she enjoyed watching T.V. with me.

She doesn't seem to want to do anything at all with me anymore.

Still, as long as it remains available for free through Shaw Cable's 'On Demand' feature, I will keep in mind the possibility of proffering the episode to her.

Back in the latter 1960s, I loved the T.V. series The Wild, Wild West.

I used to keep clippings of one sort or another concerning the series, just as I did with any of my favourite series or celebrities.

So when Gold Key Comics started producing a series of comic-books based upon the T.V. series, I made it a point to acquire the initial issues ─ just the ones that featured reproductions of stills from the T.V. series on the covers.

I didn't care for the comics' art or story-lines ─ I might not have even bothered reading them.  I just kept the covers that had photos on them.

Anyway, I have in the odd past post here included scans of those old comic-book covers, so I'm going to add another today ─ the description beneath the image is from the Google album where I have the image stored:

Another cover I kept from a comic-book I bought back when I was still a fan of the T.V. series.

I only bought the comics for the photographs from the T.V. series, so all I kept were the covers ─ I trashed the artwork.

The whole comic-books would be worth a little bit of cash today.

Anyway, from what I can determine, this was issue #6, and perhaps published in July 1969.
James West's suits ─ largely thanks to actor Robert Conrad's magnificent physique ─ looked so damned good to me that I used to figure that if I ever became rich, I would dress in that style! 

Unfortunately, I was never to become rich. 

And surprising as this may seem to many people, here I am at 66 years of age, yet I have never in my life owned my own suit.

««««««««««««««

I recently posted about the study review that has revealed how higher levels of cholesterol are not only harmless, but even beneficial ─ even to seniors.

But let's look at this delightful finding again:

Want to live longer, live better, and even outlive your own doctor?

Then take the doc's advice... and toss it in the trash!

When it comes down to it, he doesn't have a clue -- especially if he's always riding your rear about your cholesterol levels.

Cholesterol, cholesterol, cholesterol. He's probably like a broken record about it -- and odds are, he's even trying to shove cholesterol meds down your throat.

But don't swallow those pills, because the latest research reveals the ugly truth about the mainstream approach to cholesterol.

The real risk doesn't come from high levels.

It's when your levels fall too LOW!

That's right, my friend, the biggest threat to your health strikes when your cholesterol levels -- especially the so-called "bad" LDL cholesterol -- fall smack dab in the middle of your doctor's happy zone.

The analysis of 19 studies involving nearly 70,000 people finds that in 80 percent of all cases, seniors with HIGHER levels of cholesterol outlive the ones with lower levels.

And those statin drugs docs claim will save your life? Not so fast.

Folks who use them to reach the "optimal" levels recommended by many mainstream medical organizations don't live so much as a second longer!

The only time the drugs mattered was when they were used to bring levels down from "very high" to "moderate," and even then the benefit was pretty small. Cutting LDL cholesterol down from 100 mg/dl or more cut the risk of heart problems by 13 percent.

Hardly the "miracle drug" that statins have been made out to be!

And for that tiny benefit... that only SOME people will get... you can expect to suffer big-time side effects. Statin drugs can cause debilitating muscle pain... sex problems... memory loss so severe that your doc will write you off as a dementia patient... and more.

These drugs can even CAUSE diabetes.

Fact is, despite what you've heard, you NEED cholesterol. Even "bad" cholesterol plays a critical role in your body, hauling around fat-soluble nutrients, boosting your brainpower, and enhancing your immune system.

When levels drop, you face big risks... including a higher risk of certain types of cancer.

The best thing you can do about your cholesterol is stop worrying about it. If your TOTAL levels are somewhere between 200 and 300 and you're following a healthy diet low in carbs, you're in the sweet spot.

Any higher than that, and you might have a problem... but you don't need a statin.

You need a doc who can figure out what's gone haywire.

I recommend an experienced member of the American College for Advancement in Medicine.

In the sweet spot....

And here are a couple of other reports about it:



««««««««««««««

Why do celebrities sell out and shill harmful medications for pharmaceutical corporations?

It's reprehensible.

They're calling it the next big breakthrough in stopping breast cancer.

But it just may end up breaking your bones instead.

Researchers are claiming that the osteoporosis med Prolia -- which has already been linked to serious bone breaks -- could stop a dangerous form of breast cancer from ever forming.

It's a horrifying recommendation that could put countless women right in harm's way.

And, as usual, it has Big Pharma's grubby fingerprints all over it.

One expert called Prolia "a health Molotov cocktail" -- and, trust me, that's an understatement.

It's a twice-a-year-shot for osteoporosis that's been linked to a laundry list of side effects (more on those in a minute).

But instead of trying to keep women away from Prolia, a group of Australian scientists is trying to repackage it as the "holy grail" of breast-cancer prevention.

In their new study, these researchers looked at women who have a mutation in their BRCA genes, which can lead to breast cancer. That's the same mutation that actress Angelina Jolie had -- and that leads lots of women to get both breasts removed.

If you believe the study, Prolia inhibited a type of BRCA protein that triggers cancer. The mainstream was so jazzed about the research that they're already setting up for a clinical trial at NYU's Langone Medical Center.

All good news, right? Yeah, not exactly.

Because there's plenty you deserve to know about both this research and the folks behind it.

As I said, the study came from a team of Australian scientists. However, there were some Americans involved behind the scenes. Ones from Seattle, Wash., right out of the Amgen department of pathology.

That's Amgen, as in the drug company that makes Prolia.

But that's not all. In fact, the study itself was financed by Amgen, and there were even stockholders and former employees involved. It was practically a company picnic!

Of course, all the glowing media reports failed to mention that.

Then there's Prolia itself, the med actress Blythe Danner pitches and a drug that might take first prize in the side-effects department.

It's been linked to doozeys like osteonecrosis of the jaw (when the jawbone literally dies), fractures of the femoral (thigh) bone, the longest and strongest bone in your body, "serious infections" and bone, joint and muscle pain.

And that's just the short list!

Look, it would be wonderful to be able to report to you that a reasonably safe way to prevent breast cancer has been found.

But Prolia, I'm sorry to say, is anything but.

And that's the truth, no matter how many studies Amgen wants to finance.
Well, I'm not going to search out other glowing reports about this sham of a study.  However, that reference just above may be more permanent at its original source:


««««««««««««««

I often envision myself becoming involved in a small church of some sort in a tiny community that I might one day find myself living in ─ I know there is so much to be said for close fellowship.

And now, a study has dramatically proven it:

Give me that old-time religion -- because going to church on Sunday isn't just the secret to eternal life for your soul.

Turns out it's also the key to a longer and healthier life for your body, too!

New research shows how the Sunday faithful have more Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and more -- because folks who attend church regularly have a much lower risk of facing the moment that's usually accompanied by the 23rd Psalm.

In a study of more than 75,000 women, those who went to church once a week over the course of 16 years had a 26 percent lower risk of dying from ANY CAUSE than the gals who never went to church at all.

The biggest benefits are right where you want them most, with drops in the risk of death from two leading killers: heart disease and cancer.

If you're truly devout... if you get to church more than once a week... that risk plunges even further, by 33 percent.

Folks who attend less regularly get less of a benefit, but they still get one, with a 13 percent lower risk of death from any cause.

It may not be politically correct to talk about the power of prayer... and it'll drive the atheists that run the nation's left-wing media absolutely batty to even mention it.

But it looks like some prayers get answered after all!

I've already seen the church-haters in the mainstream try to dismiss the study, claiming that folks who go to church every week are healthier to start with because sick people can't get out much (if at all).

But the researchers adjusted for all that. They checked the numbers and checked them again... and no matter how many tweaks they made, they got the same answer.

Church, more than anything else, saves lives.

"This suggests that there is something powerful about the communal religious experience," senior author, Tyler J. VanderWeele, a professor of epidemiology at Harvard told the New York Times. "These are systems of thought and practice shaped over millennia, and they are powerful."

Darn right it's powerful!

So do your body, mind, and spirit a favor and get your tail to church if you're not going already. If you haven't been there in a while, don't worry about it -- they'll welcome you back with open arms.

It's church, after all.

But there's something you will need in order to get the keys to the kingdom: the keys to your car. As I shared with you earlier this month, seniors who drive are more than twice as likely to get to church than seniors who don't.

So do your best to keep driving, and for some quick tips on how to do just that, check out this free report from the Daily Dose archives.

With a prayer to spare....
I found the study, but only the abstract is available for free to the general public:  Association of Religious Service Attendance With Mortality Among Women (doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.1615).

Even so, a simple enough search at Sci-Hub.ac brought up the full study as a nine-page .pdf document.

And here are a couple of other reports on that study:



I can't really imagine why the same benefit would not accrue to men, too.

By the way, am I the only visitor to CNN who detests a video automatically starting up that has NOTHING to do with the article? 

««««««««««««««

That time out back sunning actually improved me ─ I have felt better this afternoon than I had over the morning.

I am closing off now with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The house I rented the room in was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

Back then, I worked just one day a week ─ Friday ─ at a New Westminster charitable organization called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends) that today is known as Fraserside Community Services Society.

I worked as a truck swamper on S.A.N.E.'s blue pick-up truck.  We had wooden 'fencing' for the sides of the truck bed in order to increase volume when required; and sometimes, we would even move a household if the job was manageable.
FRIDAY, June 27, 1975

I awoke early.

For breakfast I had Red River cereal and raisins.

The right of my neck has inflammations I sure hope heal fast; there are no cosmetic facilities in the bush, nor at the snow line am I likely to be bathing much.

At S.A.N.E., in store were two moving jobs; assisting Bill & I were Bill and Howie.

As it developed, the fellow we first were to move panicked at our lack of organization and held back his fridge, stove, and TV for other means.  Still, there were two loads out there in Coquitlam.

Though threatening, it barely sprinkled, and we've had sun breaks.

We got back and learned one other move had been cancelled.

Lunch break was at 1:30 p.m.; I came home and had the 3 hamburgers I cooked this morning.

I've not been at my ablest today.  Supposedly all that faces me now is a trip to the dump.

Only Bill & I worked on this.  Judy came for the ride, and there were two rather minor collections; she started to tell her dimensions to her mother, then was interrupted:  37 - 22 - ...?

The remainder of the day was mostly sunny.

I finished typing Ron's letter.

After 6:00 p.m. I lied down due to oppressive weariness; Bill called before I was full asleep.  Off to the smorgasbord we went, I only contributing 50¢; I really stuffed.

Later we went, me regrettably, to Mark's; Garry & Angela were there.  

Charlie came later, then Timmy.           

Beer soon appeared, and I somehow forced down two.

Tomorrow morning early we leave; no life rafts though.

They expect quite a time, having four bottles of liquor.

Charlie and I will be sheltering with plastic.

Bill & I didn't leave till late; I'll be abed by 12:50 a.m.

My inflammation on the right side of my neck is disturbing me.
I had been eating quite a lot of Red River Cereal around that time, often adding raisins for additional nutriment.

Reportedly I was having complexion issues, and this was especially concerning because I was to be going with my younger brother Mark, his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther, a chap named Charlie Little, and Mark's German shepherd Daboda, for a long-weekend hiking/camping trip into the mountains in the Chilliwack/Hope area. 

I was unusually sensitive about my complexion.

Apparently I was working in tandem around this time at S.A.N.E. with a chap named "Bill," but I now have no memory of him.  Nor do I remember the other "Bill" nor "Howie" who helped us with the Coquitlam moving job.

S.A.N.E. used to be located in a building roughly where the New Westminster SkyTrain Station now spills out onto Carnarvon Street.  I apparently would sometimes walk home for my lunch ─ something else I do not remember ever doing.

Judy St. Jean was the beautiful daughter of our driver, Esther St. Jean ─ a dear woman in her early 40s.  Those dimensions of Judy's certainly do sound provocative!

It would have been after I was back at my room for the remainder of the day that I typed a letter to an American pen-pal I had, Ron Bain.

Then just before I managed to sink into a nap, my old friend William Alan Gill showed up (I never had a phone).  He wanted badly enough to go to the smorgasbord ─ probably the Family Smorgasbord at Eighth Avenue & McBride Boulevard that has long-since ceased operation ─ that he mostly paid for my meal.

Then he wanted to visit my brother Mark and Jeanette over in Whalley.  I likely was loath to go because of being tired and heavily overfed.

When we arrived, Garry Porteous and his girlfriend Angela were present ─ Garry had been Mark's best friend for years.

Charlie Little arrived; and I suspect that it was Timmy Halverson ─ a young maternal cousin ─ who showed up afterwards.

Charlie had thought that he might be able to procure four life-rafts, but that fell through.

It's very hard to drink beer when a person is stuffed ─ that was why I said that I could only force down two.

Anyway, it was a fairly late evening before Bill drove us back into New Westminster.

Adventure awaited the morrow!
Post a Comment