.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Saturday, June 18, 2016

PayPal Phishing Scam │ Omar Mateen's Father Seddique │ 1952 Leonard Nimoy Movie │ Nanoparticle Sunscreens

Although I was expecting my wife Jack to arrive home from Vancouver last evening, it was getting later than usual for her; I began to wonder if maybe she would not be making the appearance that she had texted me that morning would be taking place.

But anon she did arrive.

And as I had anticipated, she had come to spend the night.

As is the trend where she is concerned, however, bedtime was none too soon.

When at last I saw that she had turned off the bedroom light and retired, I came upstairs and readied for bed ─ if I am remembering correctly, the clock-radio read 1:38 a.m. when I was under the covers.

At some point overnight, it began to rain outside after our sunny day.

From the look of the day, I am expecting that it will be raining throughout its entirety.

My sleep is never long enough before it starts breaking up, but I did the best that I could.

Jack had set her cellphone's alarm, I was to find.

When it sounded in the morning, I let her arise in privacy and leave the bedroom before I removed my blindfold and looked at the clock-radio ─ it was 9:31 a.m.  Definitely time for me to be getting up, too.

Jack's youngest son Pote must have had to go to work this morning, for he was gone.

I got to work at the post edit that I had begun on Thursday at my website My Retirement Dream.  Jack was busy in the bathroom.

My younger brother Mark soon got up; and he and Jack seemed to coordinate their visits to the kitchen.

Before too long ─ I doubt that it was much before 11:00 a.m. ─ I heard Jack go out the front door a few times as I worked here upstairs; and then I heard her car start up.

And then she left, never having said a work in explanation to me.

I am assuming that she has only gone out to do various shopping that she wants to get done, but it is 1:17 p.m. as I type these words and she has yet to return.

I had a very believable E-mail this morning that was supposedly from PayPal ─ I have an account with them.

It had the subject heading:  "Your account has been compromised."

This is what I found when I opened it ─ I removed my personal E-mail address, but everything else in the message is precisely as I found it:


I have learned enough about phishing to understand that anytime something like this shows up, the best way of verifying that it is legitimate is to most definitely NOT log-in using the link provided in the message.  Instead, log-in to one's account entirely independently of the message.

So I opened a new browser tab and brought up PayPal.  At the login, my data pre-filled because Windows has the information saved.

It's the login data I always use ─ I even checked my password to be certain.

And then I entered it all...and up came my PayPal account.

There had been no E-mail address change ─ not on June 15, nor at any other time.

The message was a fake.

Usually fake messages like this come with the most tortured English and leave no doubt about the phony validity of what is being claimed.

But this one did appear legitimate.

Beware.

╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢

Some extremely unusual claims came my way this morning concerning Seddique Mateen, the father of mass-killer Omar Mateen who murdered 49 people just recently at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida.

Is the information all true?

You decide for yourself:


I have one other item to offer that might interest you ─ a 1952 movie presently available on YouTube in its entirety.

It is titled Kid Monk Baroni ─ and believe it or not, it stars a young Leonard Nimoy.

Paul Baroni (Leonard Nimoy) is the leader of a gang of street toughs in New York's 'Little Italy' who gets introduced to professional boxing as a way of escaping the type of life he has been living.

A priest gives him the nickname 'Monk' because of Paul's somewhat battered features.  I haven't seen the full movie myself yet, so I can't quite figure out if Paul looks as he does because of lots of street fights; or if something more sinister is the cause.

You might not recognize Leonard Nimoy initially ─ he will be the young man sawing away on a stairways' handrailing:



If the movie becomes unavailable at YouTube, you should still be able to find it at archive.org here.

╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢

Do you still use sunscreens?

Have you any concerns about any that contain nanoparticles?

If the sun were even half as dangerous as you've been led to believe, the human race never would've made it out of the caves.

The sun's not some horrible monster in the sky trying to kill us.

It's a life-giving gift that can help you avoid killer disease... and the biggest risks you face aren't from sunlight.

No, my friend, the REAL problems kick in when you try to avoid it!

The chemical coatings people slather on their bodies to "protect" themselves from sun are loaded with dangerous ingredients -- and the worst of the lot may not even be mentioned on the label.

A growing number of sunscreens are using "nanoparticles," or -- just as the name tells you -- incredibly small particles that are supposed to stay on the skin longer and block the sun better.

Now, a new report claims there's nothing to worry about. Rub it all over your skin. Go ahead -- because these particles are specially designed only to stay on the skin and never to penetrate it.

Yeah, right. What could possibly go wrong there?

It's far too early for anyone to make a blanket declaration that nano-sunscreens are safe. There's simply not enough human research, no consistency to the type and size of particles used, and not even any rules or requirements to label it.

Yes, your sunscreen could contain nanoparticles right now, and you wouldn't even know it.

What we DO know about the stuff from animal studies is downright terrifying: If titanium dioxide particles -- which are used in some sunscreens -- do get into the body, they can poke holes in the brain, according to research on fish.

You read that right. HOLES. In your BRAIN.

Until someone can prove to me there's not a chance in the world that nanoparticles of any kind can penetrate the skin and get into the body, I'm not buying it.

But it's not just nanoparticles you need to watch out for, because ALL sunscreens are risky... loaded with cancer-causing, hormone-blocking chemicals and other junk like nanoparticles.

The SAFEST sunscreen is shade. Number two on the list is clothing -- including long sleeves, long pants, and a hat. The third safest is going inside.

So do your body a favor: Get out and get some sun everyday... and seek shade, put on clothes, or head indoors before you burn.

It's that simple... and it's the only real "protection" from the sun that you need.

Throwing shade....
This is likely the mentioned report on nanoparticles in sunscreens that "claims there's nothing to worry about":  Potential risks and benefits of nanotechnology: perceptions of risk in sunscreens (doi: 10.5694/mja15.01128).

To my thinking, Man seems incapable of coming up with anything that is not ultimately harmful.

So...thanks, but I'll stick to my sunbathing.

I see that even the Environmental Working Group is vacillating on the topic of the dangers far too much for my liking:


Again ─ no thanks!

╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢╢

At this point in my day, it is 6:15 p.m.  I never did see my wife Jack again, nor did she bother calling or texting me.

Such is my marriage to her.

I close now with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The room was being rented in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

My journal entries were very often written piecemeal over the day as I had the time, so often the sequences of events would likely seem odd to a reader. 
WEDNESDAY, June 18, 1975

A sunny day.

I'll mail for my Olympic ticket as I go shopping at Safeway.

My bill came to $3.27, mainly for bread, apricot jam, and ground beef, plus a Jeffersons TV Guide.

Next I stopped at the McBride Safeway where I managed to discover a 90¢ stewing chicken (39¢ lb.) that I carried with me over to dad's, along with the toilet tissue he once requested.

I had a very light snack; it was about 5:00 p.m. when they reckoned the over-produced stew ready; I overate with four plates of the stuff.

I didn't feel able to leave till 9:15 p.m.

Going home, I commenced running near the hilltop after being inspired by three lovely cyclists; I must have forced out 18 - 20 avenues.

At home, I even had a partial work-out, damning the hour.

My back still threatens itch.

I should be abed at most 11:10 p.m.

I'd planned to phone Bill to collect me tomorrow morn to ensure I apply at his cannery, but never did.
I was mailing away for an Olympic Lottery ticket ─ there were not yet lottery booths ─ nor lottery ticket sales in just about every store ─ like there are today.

The first Safeway I visited no longer exists, but it was possibly fairly close to Tenth Street & Carnarvon Street.  Memory is faint after all of these years.

The T.V. Guide was one featuring The Jeffersons on the cover:


The second Safeway was located in a shopping plaza over at McBride Boulevard & Eighth Avenue.  It was from there that I hiked ─ with some toilet paper and a stewing chicken ─ all the way to the apartment building my father Hector and his girlfriend Maria Fadden were living in.

I no longer remember the place, but it was on Sunset Street in Burnaby, and was roughly midway between Boundary Road and Burnaby Hospital (refer to this Google map, provided the link works for you)..   

That was a long walk ─ believe me!

By the time I got to feed on the stew my chicken became part of, I was ravenous and thus I overate, incapacitating myself into staying until just after mid-evening.

Since I no longer remember my father ever living in that apartment, I certainly have no memory of any hilltop that I commenced running from once I started my hike back home, but apparently the three pretty cyclists inspired me to run hard for 18 - 20 avenues.

I sure wish that I had those knees today!

And then once I was back at my room, I even engaged in a little exercise.

The itch on my back was the result of healing after a severe sunburn I had incurred on June 1st.

It seems I was still nurturing some weak thoughts of applying at the Royal City Foods cannery where my old friend William Alan Gill was employed ─ it used to be on the shore of the Fraser River, just slightly downstream from the Pattullo Bridge

I had just a few days earlier hiked over to it, but balked after getting there and seeing and hearing the hustle and bustle of the place ─ it wasn't an environment I felt I could bear.  I was uncomfortable around people, and I did not like machinery, so everything was just too hectic and strange for me.

Okay, it is now almost 7:00 p.m.  I will proofread this, then publish it ─ I'm in the mood for some drinks to numb my feelings while I watch some T.V.
Post a Comment