.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Monday, June 13, 2016

Sounding the Aluminum Alarm │ Alzheimer's Disease and the Vital Blood-Brain Barrier │ Zecuity Patch Alert

Unholy appetites.

I squandered a good part of my day in that pursuit, so I have robbed myself of much time to deal with the day's events here in my debtor's prison.

We've had rain, and also cloud and Sun.  And I am becoming annoyed with feeling so chilled here upstairs.

Petty things.

Very petty.

I am going to post a photo and get on with other blogging matters ─ the description beneath the photo is from the Google album where I have the scanned image saved:

This is my mother's husband, Alex Dorosh.

There is no date or description anywhere on the reverse of the photo to give some detail about it.

Alex ─ usually with my mother Irene Dorosh ─ made a few trips to the U.S.S.R. and the Ukraine, so it is possible that this might be a spacecraft of theirs.

Or it is equally possible that it is American, and the photo was taken on a tour or other holiday into the States. 
║║║║║║║║║║║║

My wife Jack has just texted me, and says that she'll make an appearance late this evening from Vancouver.

I never know if it will mean that she intends to stay the night ─ I will just have to wait and see.

Anyway, when I logged into my E-mail account this morning, I found the following with a receipt time of 12:19 a.m.:
Hi There,

I’m currently working with a number of education bodies who wish to highlight the various business, nursing and public health qualifications and careers available.

I would like to secure placements, bespoke to your site, for these educational bodies which I think could be of great interest to your site and your audience.

We are interested in Resource Links or Guest Posts.

For the privilege of being featured on your site, we would be happy to offer you either a donation towards your site or a contribution of $125, perhaps to a charity of your choice.

We would love to hear back from you.
Thanks,

Denny Friars
It certainly piqued my attention ─ but so did its lack of detail.

For example, who exactly is he representing?  He does not say.

Nor does he say what website of mine he is referring to ─ this very blog, or one of my six hosted websites?

I certainly would love to have a $125 contribution to have saved towards hosting costs!

So ─ ever the suspicious sort ─ I did a little research and found the following, for nothing turned up concerning any Denny Friars.

At collegemisery.blogspot.com here posted June 4:
Hi There,

I’m currently working with a number of education bodies who wish to highlight the various nursing and public health qualifications and careers available.

I would like to secure placements, bespoke to your site, for these educational bodies which I think could be of great interest to your site and your audience.

We are interested in Resource Links or Guestposts.

For the privilege of being featured on your site, we would be happy to offer you either a donation towards your site or a contribution of $100, perhaps to a charity of your choice.

We would love to hear back from you.

Thanks,
Sam Isaacs
At walmartfail.com here posted on June 3:
Hi There,   I’m currently working with a number of education bodies who wish to highlight the various business, nursing and public health qualifications and careers available. I would like to secure placements, bespoke to your site, for these educational bodies which I think could be of great interest to your site and your audience. We are interested in Resource Links or Guest Posts. For the privilege of being featured on your site, we would be happy to offer you either a donation towards your site or a contribution of $100, perhaps to a charity of your choice.   We would love to hear back from you. Thanks, George Crouch
At techbalita.blogspot.com here posted May 26:
Hi There,

I’m currently working with a number of education bodies who wish to highlight the various nursing and public health qualifications and careers available.

I would like to secure placements, bespoke to your site, for these educational bodies which I think could be of great interest to your site and your audience.

We are interested in Resource Links or Guestposts.

For the privilege of being featured on your site, we would be happy to offer you either a donation towards your site or a contribution of $100, perhaps to a charity of your choice.

We would love to hear back from you.

Thanks,

Marcus Reed
Something too fishy is at play here ─ I don't need the grief of initiating contact with whomever is behind this specious ploy.

I've got far more problems than I can deal with already.

║║║║║║║║║║║║

You have surely read or heard at some time or other how people with Alzheimer's disease tend to have high levels of aluminum in their brains and bodies?

I sure hope this isn't news to you?!  I first heard of it years and years ago ─ I was going to suggest the 1970s, but that might be exaggeration.

Check out this report:

Can you guess how researchers give laboratory rats Alzheimer's disease?

It's simple -- they just feed them aluminum!

That's right, aluminum. The same metal that's used in food and drugs, pots and pans and applied to our underarms every day.

For years we've known that aluminum can be toxic for our brains. Now, a group of international researchers has issued the biggest warning yet about the dangers of aluminum.

And it goes way beyond "just" Alzheimer's.

It turns out that aluminum can poison every part of your body and could have you on the fast track to an early grave.

That's why you need to take five imports steps today to reduce your exposure to this toxic substance.

Of all the things the FDA has dropped the ball on, protecting us against unnecessary aluminum exposure takes top honors.

Because not only does it seem to think aluminum is safe as mother's milk, it's against FDA rules to sell an antiperspirant in the U.S. that doesn't contain it!

For years I've been warning you about the dangers of aluminum and why you should be avoiding it whenever you can.

But if you want to get yourself more motivated to do that, brush up on your French and get the latest copy of Morphologie, a medical journal published in France that has devoted an entire issue to the dangers of aluminum.

For starters, the researchers say it's "reasonably clear" that aluminum can alter the central nervous system (the brain and spinal cord) to resemble the deadly changes found in the brains of Alzheimer's patients.

Next, there's aluminum and its connection to breast cancer. One article tells how an area of the breast right next to where antiperspirants are applied is also where there is a "disproportionately high incidence of breast cysts and breast cancer."

Then there's the effect aluminum can have on our GI tract. This is particularly important considering how it's added to so many foods (especially baked goods) and drugs, not to mention what we absorb from aluminum cookware and foil.

The researchers also warned that the aluminum we ingest can not only harm our good intestinal bacteria, but interfere with our gut immune system. For the icing on the aluminum cake, it can also up the odds of developing inflammatory bowel disease.

And last, but certainly not least, there's the aluminum that's put into vaccines as an "adjuvant," something that is supposed to boost your immune response to a shot.

Experts say that if you wanted to maximize the body's absorption of this brain-damaging toxin, the very best way is to inject it into your body. Aluminum is added to lots of vaccines, including the pneumonia shot for seniors, the DTaP and polio ones for kids and the HPV vaccines, like Gardasil.

While aluminum is everywhere, we can still take steps to significantly reduce our exposure to it.

And here are five ways to do that:
  1. Ditch those antacids: OTC antacids can contain huge amounts of aluminum, and that's both tablet and liquid brands. If you need heartburn relief, try some ginger or licorice. 
  2. Stop using antiperspirants: As I said, you won't find a single antiperspirant sold in the U.S. without some form of aluminum in it. There are, however, numerous brands of aluminum-free deodorants. 
  3. Read the ingredient label: Look out for aluminum compounds added to foods. And if you're baking at home, only buy aluminum-free baking powder, which is very easy to find. 
  4. Be careful what you "foil": Studies have found that large amounts of aluminum can leach into foods that are cooked or reheated wrapped in aluminum foil. That's especially true when cooking acidic foods at high temperatures. 
  5. Watch your water: Studies have found that fluoride can bind to aluminum and send it directly into your brain. If your water if fluoridated, invest in a filtration system that can remove the fluoride (not all do).
There has been a time or two when I have accidentally bought an antiperspirant and brought it home, not realizing that it was not a deodorant.

I hate wasting money, but the product went directly into the trash.  I refuse to use the toxic concoction.

Incidentally, I don't think a reader of Morphologie needs to know French.  A person has to be a subscriber to read its articles, but they seem to be in both French and English ─ check the abstracts to that aluminum issue here

║║║║║║║║║║║║

The following report purports to suggest how dementia conditions like Alzheimer's disease can actually be prevented:

When it comes to dementia, I don't know which is worse: Going through it yourself, or watching a loved one slip into the shadows of this devastating disease.

Either way, you feel powerless.

After all, your own doc has said straight up that there's no cure -- and the best you can do is hope to slow it down.

Well, my friend, I've never been one to take the word of those docs as gospel, and the latest research shows why I'm so skeptical of all that doom-and-gloom talk.

And if you're at risk of dementia… if you're in the early stages of the disease… or if a loved one is gearing up for a battle with the condition… this new study gives you something your doc can't.

It gives you a massive dose of a "drug" called HOPE!

We may have just reached a major turning point in the fight against dementia, because scientists say they've spotted the condition that causes ordinary cognitive impairment to turn into the nightmare of dementia.

And it's something you might be able to turn around and take complete control over!

Your brain has a wall that's stronger than anything Donald Trump wants to build on the Mexican border.

It's your blood-brain barrier -- and it lets in good stuff like brain nutrients and oxygen, keeps bad stuff from sneaking inside, and kicks out troublemaking proteins that don't belong.

But the new study finds that this wall starts to show some cracks in the earliest stages of Alzheimer's disease.

As the barrier crumbles, MRI scans showed that junk works its way inside and bad-news proteins like beta-amyloid STAY inside rather than getting pushed out.

And the more the brain "leaks," the faster the decline.

Those leaks didn't show up in the brains of healthy seniors… only in the folks in the earliest stages of Alzheimer's, which means getting some brain spackle to plug up any cracks in your barrier could be the key to beating dementia.

The problem, of course, is that you have no way of knowing if your own barrier is starting to crumble. You can't see it, and you can't feel it.

But why take your chance? Because there IS a way you can take action to protect it right now… and all you need to do is make sure you're eating plenty of fatty fish and taking an omega-3 fatty acid supplement.

A 2011 study in patients with multiple sclerosis -- another condition with a leaky blood-brain barrier -- found that fish oil can help put some more bricks in the wall.

Not surprisingly, studies have also shown how high levels of omega-3s -- especially the brain-boosting fatty acid DHA -- can protect against cognitive decline and dementia.

We'll need more research before anyone can say for sure if its role in strengthening the blood-brain barrier is a reason for that benefit.

But in the meantime, boost your omega-3 intake anyway. Either way, it'll give you some punch in the fight against dementia and protect your heart at the same time.

Fixing those leaks....
That initial study is probably this one:  Blood-Brain Barrier Leakage in Patients with Early Alzheimer Disease (doi: 10.1148/radiol.2016152244).

This is another report about it:


Quite related to this, an even more recent study is discussed at The New York Times:


And also here:


The  most comprehensive and useful report of all is this one:


║║║║║║║║║║║║

Just a few days ago, I carried a report concerning this current migraine treatment, but I think it bears bringing up again:

Once again, the FDA rushed a drug onto the market long before the safety issues were resolved -- and once again, desperate patients are paying the price!

The Zecuity patch was supposed to be a dream come true for folks battling the severe, intense, debilitating, and even crippling pain of migraine headaches.

Instead of having to constantly pop pain pills, the battery-powered patch did the job for them. One push at the start of an attack would send a steady stream of meds right into the blood for hours.

But now, the FDA is warning that "a large number" of patients have reported a side effect even worse than some of those headaches: The patch itself is burning them to a crisp!

It's been linked severe skin reactions like burns, blisters, discoloration, cracked skin, and even permanent scars.

A migraine will come and go. But a scar? That's forever.

Of course, if your migraines are real bad, you might be willing to live with a scar for a med that provided true relief. Heck, you might be willing to get a scar that looks like a Mike Tyson tattoo across your face if it meant no more headaches.

That's how bad migraines are.

But in this case, you probably won't get anything close to true relief.

Hidden in the FDA's approval data is the ugly truth about this med: Despite the risks… despite the possibility of painful burns and permanent scarring… it doesn't even work very well!

The big sell is that this patch is twice as effective as a placebo at curing headaches within two hours of that telltale first sign of pain.

What they're not as quick to mention during that sales pitch is that the placebo was effective at getting rid of the pain for only 9 percent of patients -- so at "twice as effective," the patch had a success rate of only 18 percent.

Some of the folks who weren't cured got some lesser level of relief… but again, it's not as impressive as they've led you to believe. While 53 percent got at least some relief while on the drug, so did 29 percent of those who took the placebo.

When you consider the other risks of the med -- including pain, seizures, and heartbeat problems -- it's pretty clear that someone needs to hit the "OFF" button on this battery-powered patch.

Fortunately, the solution is as simple -- and safe -- as a special pair of eyewear.

Lenses tinted to a specific color -- a kind of purplish pink shade called FL-41 that filters out fluorescent light -- can cut migraine risk by 79 percent and ease pain by 40 percent. Unlike the sunglasses you get at the corner store, these are designed specifically for people with migraines. Your eye doctor can help you find a pair.

Learn more right here, in this free report from the Daily Dose archives.

Getting ahead of headaches....
This is the FDA Warning:



║║║║║║║║║║║║

Here now is an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The room was in a house at Ninth Street & Third Avenue.

At the time, I worked just one day per week ─ usually on Friday.  I served as a truck swamper on a charitable organization's pick-up truck ─ it was S.A.N.E.'s only vehicle.

Today, S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends) calls itself Fraserside Community Services Society.
FRIDAY, June 13, 1975

Up before 6:00 a.m., having dreamed of being schooled in a strange building; a graduation celebration was mainly held at a cabaret-type joint; I was there with a Michael Longshaw who reminded me of Mark; he made a pick-up (Cathy) for a drive-in, and someone tried to fob a dame off on me and tried to get my drunk friend to take us as well; he refused, then his chair spilled over the two of them (he & Cathy), and nearly completely knocked him out, while she appeared very foolish.

The morning is overcast.

At S.A.N.E., the first task was the moving of Maggie in 3 loads; assisting Bill & I were Bill, Howie, and an Indian lad called, I believe, Vernon.

Esther drove me home after picking up Melodie for lunch about 12:25 p.m.  I shall ingest a cup of Red River cereal porridge.  Facing me after lunch is the moving of Myrna.

With the full crew, this double load wasn't bad.

4:00 p.m. or so David showed; Esther, Bill & I left soon after to pick up and then deliver a wheel chair; thereafter, she let me off at 10th St. & 3rd Ave., so I took my 73¢ worth of Safeway tomatoes and headed home, to David's irritation, I'm sure.  It wasn't yet 4:30 p.m.; I believe I lost a coin while waiting to buy my tomatoes.

My hamburger supper was adequate indeed.

My back is now ghastly itchy; the worst it's yet been, and this ever since my homecoming.

I did manage some sleep when I lied down 1 - 1½ hours, exercising after in anticipation of maybe dropping in on Art.  But I watched the Tony Curtis movie Not with My Wife, You Don't instead.  
These entries were often written piecemeal over the course of the day, and consequently the context was frequently confusing.  

The Michael Longshaw of my dream was an old schoolmate I had known from Grade V through to when I finally dropped out of school in Grade XII.

We were good friends; but when I dropped out, he never bothered with me again.

Anyway, it was my younger brother Mark that Michael seemed to remind me of in the dream, for "Cathy" was probably Mark's girlfriend of the time, Catherine Jeanette Gunther. 

The S.A.N.E. pick-up truck's sides were heightened with removable wooden 'fencing' to increase the load capacity.  Thus, we often moved people if the job was manageable. 

I now have absolutely no memory of "Maggie," nor either of the "Bill"s I worked with, nor "Howie."  "Vernon" would have been a native aboriginal lad.

It was rare to have so much help!

Esther St. Jean was my usual truck-driver ─ a wonderful woman in her early 40s.  It was her daughter Melodie that Esther picked up before dropping me off at my room so I could lunch there.

The "cup of Red River cereal" would have been the dry product before I had boiled it, and thus it would have been quite substantial.

Upon returning to S.A.N.E., another moving job was lined up.  "Myrna" ─ if it's the same lady ─ was also a S.A.N.E. employee.  

Philip David Prince probably showed up a S.A.N.E. to hook up with me at day's end ─ he was an old friend I had known since Grade VIII at Newton Junior High School out in Surrey during the 1962/1963 school term.  

He was now living in New Westminster in his own room somewhere.

Unfortunately for David, those of us on the truck had that wheelchair to deal with; and afterwards, Esther dropped me off a block from my room ─ David was not to be seeing me back at the shop after all.

At some point earlier, I had bought the tomatoes at Safeway.  I probably heard the coin drop while I was in the line-up, but couldn't see it anywhere.  I had so very little money back then, losing it would have been a blow ─ no matter its denomination.

My back was itching from a severe sunburn I gave myself on June 1st ─ the healing was still going on.

After the short nap, it was an older friend and S.A.N.E. co-worker I considered visiting ─ Art Smith, a gent in his early 40s.  He loved to drink. 

However, I was a big Tony Curtis fan, and so the movie  Not with My Wife, You Don't! prevailed.

Tony certainly was a handsome rascal in his youth!
Post a Comment