.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Studies Proving Efficacy of Ketogenic Diet Against Brain Cancer │ Study Found Turmeric Prevents Dementia Onset │ More on Opioids

Following up on yesterday's money woes, early last evening I texted my wife Jack about our shortfall for the mortgage payment that could be debited as early as today, but most likely will happen tomorrow.

I suggested borrowing the money from her youngest son Pote.

But she phoned me back right away and asked if she still had the $400 in her personal account.

When I said that she did, she asked if that would cover it, and I responded, "For sure!"

She then said to take it.

Well, I only transferred out $300.  I am hoping that the $2,500 RRSP redemption I applied for last Friday will come through by this Friday, appearing as a direct deposit in our account ─ minus the $230 withholding income tax, of course.

Somehow I managed to sit up last night and not get to bed until roughly 11:50 p.m. ─ despite feeling so much better than I had that afternoon before I had been able to bolster our chequing account with Jack's money.

I think it was around 6:38 a.m. this morning when I first peeked at the time, wondering if it was late enough to get up.  I decided that I should wait until at least 7:00 a.m., so I stayed put.

When I did get up and came downstairs for my morning beverage, I was pleased to see my eldest step-son Tho's car gone ─ once again, he had gone to work.

And his younger brother Pote soon obliged me by getting up, too; and he had left well before 8:30 a.m. to catch his bus to work.

Another welcome day here by myself!

But I felt off ─ I hadn't gotten the amount of quality sleep I required.  I felt physically overtaxed.

I had meant to go out and do some local grocery shopping, but that never happened.

And then after I cut short the edit work of an old post at my Siam-Longings website ─ supposedly with an eye to seek a restoring nap before the morning was done ─ I instead sat in prurient pursuit here at my computer until late into the noon-hour.

Finally resurrecting the wherewithal to pull myself away, I then returned to bed while imploring God for rescue from this limited, barren lifestyle I am locked into.

I was in bed maybe 70 or so minutes, and did manage a small nap.

I felt better, but it was too late for me to be leaving the house to do any shopping.  If I don't do it in the morning, it simply will not get done.

It has been an overcast day.

My younger brother Mark oughtn't to be home this evening until considerably later than usual ─ poor guy!  He committed himself to attending his daughter Rene's graduation from a welding programme she had been immersed into for at least the past two years.

The ceremony is at 7:00 p.m. ─ in Bellingham, Washington.  It's being held in the Mount Baker Theater.

So he has quite a busy evening of it getting there and back home here in Whalley.  He wasn't even going to bother coming home after work ─ he was going to head directly to Bellingham.

I let him have my wife Jack's camera for any picture-taking.  I just hope he can remember how to operate it.

I would have let him take mine, but the memory card is nearly full.  She and I each have a Canon PowerShot.  Mine is the SD880 IS, whereas hers is the SD750.

One thing further before I move away from a discussion of my day ─ it concerns a telephone message...well, here is the YouTube description I gave after today posting a video recording of the message:
We constantly get this same infernal message ─ I remember them coming since at least last Fall, so it's likely even longer than that.

The message does not address anyone, so none of the five people living in this house who have credit cards knows who is supposedly being targeted.

We don't even know which credit card is being referenced ─ that could at least have helped narrow down just whom the message is meant for.

No call-back number is given.  But even if a call-back number had been left, none of us has any interest in calling it back if it doesn't relate specifically to him or her. 

Besides, all the message says is that it is some sort of offer on lowering the credit interest rate ─ it's clearly not an emergency.

This exact message has been left several times a month for many, many months.  If it is our "final courtesy call before we are unable to lower your credit card interest rate," then why in blazes does it keep coming back over and over and over?

I wish that it WAS the final courtesy call, for pete's sake!  Be done with it!!!
Here's the video recording:


││││││││││││││

Here now is an old family photo that I would like to post ─ the description beneath it is from the Google album where I have the scanned photo stored:

One of the men standing ─ second from right ─ is my mother Irene Dorosh's husband, Alex.

I expect that these were family members of his, but I will not go so far as to say that they were all his brothers.

However, I never paid much attention about his family details.

The photo is possibly from the decade of the 1990s, but I cannot specify a location.

Upon seeking input from my older maternal half-sister Phyllis:

"...Alex is with his brothers probably in the family home in Winnipeg - there were a pile of sisters, too. (13 kids rings a bell)...."
││││││││││││││

This is an extremely important report for anyone diagnosed with cancer:

If you or someone you love has cancer, you try and learn everything you can about how to beat it.

And that's especially true when it comes to aggressive, deadly cancers.

But for over 90 years there's been a treatment that has been proven again and again to be extraordinarily effective in treating difficult cancers, especially of the brain. Yet for all practical purposes it's been ignored by the mainstream.

Now, a group of researchers from the University of Florida have taken this amazing treatment out from behind the shadows, given it a bit of a twist, and are telling the world about it.

It's not hype, it's not snake oil, and it's not magic.

It's pure and simple metabolic biology.

"There is no financial incentive" and "no drug company that will help support this (research)."

Dr. Adrienne Scheck, a professor of neurobiology at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, is talking about the ketogenic diet.

That's right, the high-fat, low-carb diet that Dr. Robert Atkins helped put on the map for losing weight.

This year, Dr. Scheck hopes to start a trial with 40 brain-cancer patients, who, in addition to standard therapies, will also start up on a highly supervised version of the diet.

The ketogenic diet isn't new, but then neither is the knowledge that tumors need glucose to grow. In fact, when doctors want to pinpoint cancerous tumors in a PET scan, they give patients dye mixed with glucose to track where in the body the highest amounts are being taken up.

Brain tumors especially need lots energy from glucose. So it makes a lot of sense that "starving" them with this type of low-carb diet has produced some remarkable success stories.

And the latest one is coming from a team at the University of Florida.

Using mice who had a particularly fast-growing and deadly kind of brain tumor, called a gioblastoma [sic], they were able to both slow the growth of the tumors and extend the rodents' lives by 50 percent!

And they did that by simply feeding the mice a diet in which only 10 percent of their calories came from carbohydrates – and that included plenty of healthy fats like coconut oil.

The Florida team hopes to start up a trial for this modified high-fat, low-carb diet in people with gioblastomas [sic] shortly. And while that may make their findings more "official," brain-tumor patients have been seeing remarkable results from similar diets for some time now.

Take 15-year-old Adam Sorenson, for example.

The Canadian teen was found to have an advanced and aggressive gioblastoma [sic], which has an average survival time of around a year.

With few options left following surgery, his father's research led him to a dietician who started the boy up on a ketogenic diet with 80 percent fat, 15 percent protein and only 5 percent carbs.

That was over two and a half years ago, and his latest brain scan showed the tumor has not returned!

Adam is just one example of a long list of patients around the world who have been helped and even gone into remission on this diet after being told there was nothing else that could be done for them.

Believe me, if Big Pharma had a treatment with this kind of success rate, the news would have gone around the world -- and back -- already!

Just remember, a medical ketogenic diet is extremely low in carbs, and should be done only under expert supervision.

But with all we know about the benefits of eating this way, there's no reason not to start ditching some of those carbs from your plate right now, along with adding back plenty of good fats to your diet.
I knew the name of that type of brain cancer seemed off ─ it is supposed to be spelled with an 'l':  glioblastoma.      

Anyway, here's one other reference about this latest research:


││││││││││││││

Now here's a report telling of a study that may have proven how a common dietary substance can actually prevent dementia such as Alzheimer's disease:

If there was an easy way to stop dementia and Alzheimer's in their tracks, we would have heard of it by now, right?

Well, it turns out there very well may be.

But the only "problem" with this potent substance is that it's a gift to us from Mother Nature -- not an overpriced drug from Big Pharma.

I'm talking about turmeric -- that same yellow spice that's probably sitting in your kitchen cabinet right now. Over the years, we've learned that turmeric can prevent everything from plaque buildup in your arteries to inflammation and depression.

Now Australian scientists have found that turmeric may be the key to protecting your precious memories.

And it doesn't take much of this delicious spice to deliver some really big results.

Sometimes the answers to the biggest health problems we face can be right under our nose.

And if you've ever cooked with turmeric, you know exactly what I mean!

The "magic" of this pungent spice comes from a powerful antioxidant it contains, called curcumin.

Researchers believe that curcumin can actually prevent those rogue "sticky" amyloid proteins from clumping together in your brain, which can lead to Alzheimer's.

In this new study, scientists at the Edith Cowan University in Australia spent a year giving seniors and middle-aged volunteers either a daily placebo or a curcumin supplement.

Those who got the placebo all showed declines in their verbal and memory skills -- but absolutely nobody in the curcumin group did.

That's impressive -- but not terribly surprising. India, where turmeric is part of the traditional diet, has the lowest rate of Alzheimer's in the world.

A previous study from UCLA found that taking curcumin supplements along with vitamin D3 appears to stimulate the immune system to conduct a clean sweep of any amyloid plaques in the brain.

Researchers think that adding just one dish with turmeric to your diet every week (or you can pick up curcumin supplements just about anywhere) could be enough to deliver some really big brain results.

Now, if something appears to prevent dementia and Alzheimer's without causing side effects, you would think it would be embraced without hesitation.

Yeah, you would think.

But like most every other positive study on curcumin, the Australians said we need more research to make a call on its "potential benefits."

Seriously?

Believe me, if this was a drug they were talking about, it would be on the pharmacy shelf already making Merck or Pfizer billions!

But aside from Alzheimer's prevention, other research has found that turmeric can reduce plaque buildup in the arteries, is more effective than most diabetes drugs, and is as potent as steroids at reducing inflammation.

A study published in 2011 even found that turmeric relieves depression as well as popular antidepressants like Prozac.

I don't know about you, but I think we know enough right now to start incorporating turmeric into our diets.

It's quite delicious, and goes really well with lots of dishes from eggs to chicken to seafood.

And now we know you don't have to consume a ton of it to benefit.
Here's one other report on that study:


││││││││││││││

My post just yesterday included a piece warning of the danger and uselessness of opioid medications for pain relief, but here is more:

We hear the horror stories all the time.

The rich and poor, young and old, the famous, like pop singer Prince, or your average Joe, are dying by overdosing on pain-killing opioid drugs.

But that's not the only way these meds can kill you.

Because even if you're really careful and follow your doctor's orders to the T, they can be lethal.

New research from Vanderbilt University Medical School has uncovered the other deadly side to these drugs -- one the mainstream isn't talking about.

It's an urgent warning that you need to know before you, or someone you love, fills an Rx for any opioid.

"As bad as people think the problem of opioid use is, it's probably worse."

That's how Wayne Ray, health policy professor and lead author of the new Vanderbilt study, sums his research up.

And that's saying a lot. Because most of us think opioid deaths are just something that happens to "other" people.

You know, the ones who are careless or addicted or trying to get high.

But these drugs can kill even when taken as directed.

Dr. Ray and his team looked at data for over 45,000 patients. And they found people taking opioid drugs had a 64 percent higher risk of dying during the first six months than those taking other types of pain meds.

Let me say that again: a 64 percent greater risk of dying!

And it's not all about overdosing, either.

Of that group, 18 percent died because of an accidental overdose. And if that was the whole story, it would be bad enough.

But it turns out that opioid drugs, by the very way they work, can slow down your breathing. And that's especially dangerous if you have a condition such as sleep apnea.

The researchers said opioids (which include oxycodone, codeine, hydrocodone and fentanyl, even as a skin patch) can lead to an "irregular heartbeat, heart attacks or sudden death." And that's especially true of the extended-release ones.

The most frightening part, however, is that the poor people in this study were taking opioids for pretty common conditions, like backaches and arthritis.

Can you believe it? People are literally dying trying to get some backache relief?

And that's while other studies have found these kinds of drugs don't even work for conditions like back pain.

In response to the study, Dr. Chad Brummett, director of pain research at the University of Michigan Health System, pointed out that "we've sounded the alarm over and over again."

And he's right about that. Not a day goes by when an expert or an agency like the CDC doesn't issue another warning. But it doesn't seem to slow down the prescription whirlwind one iota.

Last week a study published in JAMA found that large numbers of "opioid naïve" patients on Medicare are discharged from the hospital with an opioid Rx in hand. These are people who have no experience with these deadly drugs, which are being handed out to them like candy.

Not only that, but 40 percent were still on these meds three months after leaving the hospital!

Any one of us can be handed an opioid drug for almost any condition under the sun. That's why you need to be extremely careful about what medications you're given.

Every day 44 people in the U.S. die from a prescription drug overdose, the lion's share being from opioids.

But we'll never know how many more simply passed away in their sleep while taking the exact dose they were instructed to. And that's why we all need to be more cautious than ever.

││││││││││││││

I have had enough of blogging for today, so I am going to finish now with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The house I rented the room in was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

As you will discover, I often wrote an entry at several sittings over the course of a day ─ it made for rather disjointed reading.
SATURDAY, June 21, 1975

I got up shortly past 8:00 a.m.

Again we have an overcast day.

I planned right up till 11:00 a.m. to go to Van today and buy Mark the knife for his birthday; but then I changed my mind due to the whole bother, and have now decided to buy him an Olympic and a Western ticket.

I am really tired.

Bill came about 3:15 p.m., and we smorgasborded.  

I then went with him on errands for his mother, managing to get wholesome honey, 1 lb. for $1.19.

Last night Bill was at the Sport with others; he went to the Pacific and met up with working Angie.

Now I am home, and shall await Bill's return, for we plan to check out Mark & Cathy.

They were away, so we greeted Daboda.

We next drove past mom's and then Nell's, finally going to the Newton Inn where Bill bought us 2 beer apiece.

Then back to Whalley.

A honk at a light behind us in the next lane revealed the green Vega, Mark & Alex front, Cathy & mom back.  

They outstripped us in the traffic, but as we found, weren't headed home.

We wandered indecisively, finally coming to town. 

At the Bluebird after Howie and another strolled by, we entered; Bill finally bought us each a pint of Royal Hawaiian ice-cream, which we ate here.

Bedtime for me by 10:30 p.m.

Tuesday he is going to take me to apply at the cannery.
I have no idea what knife it was the I had considered buying in Vancouver for my younger brother Mark as a birthday present; but instead, I opted to get him a ticket on each of the Olympic Lottery and the Western Lottery.

My old friend William Alan Gill worked full-time at Royal City Foods, a cannery just downstream from the Pattullo Bridge.  I had been intending to apply there, but kept 'chickening out.'

Quite regularly, Bill would drive over to my room and pick me up on the weekend to have a big feed at the smorgasbord located in a shopping plaza at McBride Boulevard & Eighth Avenue in New Westminster. 

At this time, I think the smorgasbord was called the Family Smorgasbord; it previously had been Swedana.

I see that the Russell Hotel beer parlour or pub had now come to be called the Mr. Sport.  Bill had been there Friday night, probably with some people he knew from work.  Afterwards, he went to the Pacific Café on Columbia Street and was possibly served by Angelina (Angie) Smith, the wife of an older friend and co-worker of mine, Art Smith.

Anyway, I seem to have been dropped off at my room after the smorgasbord, but Bill was going to come by later so that we could drive out to Whalley and check out what my brother Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther were doing.

When we finally did go there, no one was home ─ only their German shepherd Daboda, who was chained near the front door.

At the time, Mark and Jeanette were renting a home together that was located on Bentley Road, quite close to the King George Highway & 108th Avenue.

We probably next drove past my mother's home ─ and then my maternal Aunt Nell Halverson's home ─ just in case Mark and Jeanette were at either location visiting.

Failing to see the green Vega at either location, Bill and I then visited the Newton Inn beer parlour or pub ─ I do not believe that it exists anymore.

Bill worked full-time as I said, but I only worked one day per week ─ that's why he bought us the beer.

Upon returning to Whalley, we got honked at by the green Vega.  Mark and Jeanette had hooked up with my mother and her husband Alex after all.

I guess we tried to tail them, but we failed.  All we knew was that they did not return to the house where dear Daboda was awaiting company.

Not knowing what else to do with ourselves, Bill and I made our way back into New Westminster.

We ended up visiting what surely must have been the Bluebird Dairy for the ice-cream.  I have absolutely no memory of the place, but it was evidently located at 402 Eighth Street ─ a mere two blocks from my room.

I don't remember "Howie," either.  He and someone else walked past the Bluebird while Bill and I were probably still out in his car, having just arrived.

We returned to my place to eat the pint each of Royal Hawaiian ─ I wonder what kind of flavour that stuff was?

Good times....
Post a Comment