.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Study Finds Vitamin D3 Enhances Diversity of the Gut Microbiome and Thereby Increases the Body's Immunity

This day has not gone well at all.

It boded well enough when I retired last night at 11:00 p.m., but after the night's second toilet break just before 6:00 a.m., I found myself unable to find further sleep.

So at 6:28 a.m., I rose.

One of the things preying upon me was desperation to complete the post I had been working on since Monday at my Latin Impressions website.

I wanted to clear it away and then deal with the cheque I still have to write and mail for the annual property taxes ─ current coverage expires June 14.

But I just could not seem to find an end coming to that darned post as I worked upon it.

I worked on it until after the end of the noon-hour, finally calling it quits on the project ─ it turned out to be the longest post I have ever made since I have become involved in the World Wide Web.

So how many hours in total went into the post?  I never kept track, but I would venture that I might have approached around 18 hours overall.

And all of that for a website that sometimes does not even get one visitor in a day, despite having been on-line since at least early 2010.

Regardless, the post is Red Beam II.


My eyes were badly taxed, and it was at around 1:30 p.m. that I sought some recovery back in bed.

There was the remote chance that I might yet revitalize enough to dare the mile or so hike to Pearl Cleaners ─ it serves as the postal substation or depot at Surrey Place (Central City), and the letter would undoubtedly get collected for sorting tonight, and have a very real chance of making it to its destination no later than Tuesday.

But I did not find myself restored.

Although I managed something of a nap, I ended my time in bed feeling distinctly 'off.'

I would be going nowhere today.

Sure, I could just dump the letter into a local mailbox, but we have no mailbox pick-ups on weekends ─ the letter would remain in the mailbox until Monday, and never make it to its destination by the following day.

I now have little choice but to ensure that I make it out to Surrey Place (Central City) tomorrow.

My eyes have me feeling almost as if I have a tinge of carsickness.

Apart from that description of my day, it is notable that we have had quite a lot of rain ─ especially through the morning and maybe into the noon-hour.

I had nurtured the scheme that if I finished that post and then made the hike to Surrey Place (Central City), I would celebrate and reward myself by having a lamb dish at the annual Surrey Greek Food Festival that is not a block away from where I live ─ it has been running since June 3, and finishes up tomorrow.

According to here, this is its 25th anniversary.

I have lived in this house since sometime in June 2002, I believe; yet I have never attended this event, despite how near it is.

It is unlikely that I will make it tomorrow, either, but we will see.

╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝

Right at the end of last November, some scratches I made to my gums through careless tooth-brushing allowed some sort of pathogen entry into my system; and for over a month I suffered what seemed several courses of different infectious takeovers, and their varied symptoms.

One of the infections caused my right leg to ache so badly at the back of the knee or upper calf that I could not even bear to stand while using the leg.  No position was pain-free, but I remember that standing was especially painful.  I would have to take my weight off the leg and bend my knee a little by lifting my foot backwards and relieving the intense pressure.

After a few days, I discovered that my leg was somewhat swollen ─ in particular, the calf, ankle, and foot.  

Even today, I still have swelling ─ most especially of the inner ankle of my right leg.  And there is some pain at the front of that ankle when I touch the area.

I would diagnose that I have some lymphedema of the ankle area.

However, I am not a doctor, nor have I sought medical attention ─ even though there were times over those five or six weeks in which I was pretty much bedridden for feeling so feverish and ill.

With the current weather of the past few days, there has been no chance of taking any sun, and I see my face is losing some of the dark-red colouring it had acquired.

Along with colouring, though, sunbathing results in the generation of large amounts of vitamin D.

I found the following report to be nearly revelatory:

Big Pharma wants billions of dollars in YOUR money to develop new ways to fight infections.

But one of the best ways to beat disease -- including potentially deadly bacterial infections -- just might be something that's available right outside your home for FREE.

It's the sun!

I know that sounds wacko. If the sun could beat disease, we'd NEVER get sick -- especially in summer.

But most folks don't get nearly the sun they need to make enough disease-beating vitamin D.

Now, a new study shows what you get along with high levels of the sunshine vitamin: a turbo-charged immune system with the power to zero in on killer bacteria and wipe them out long before they ever have a chance to make you sick.

In the new study, volunteers given relatively high doses of vitamin D showed absolutely stunning changes in the bacteria in the upper gastrointestinal tract.

Their levels of bad bacteria -- the ones that lurk inside you, waiting for a chance to make you sick -- plunged, including Pseudomonas, Escherichia (the "E" in E. coli) and Shigella.

These are ALL germs that are increasingly resistant to antibiotics!

The bacteria weren't attacked by the D3 directly -- they were wiped out by a sunshine-powered immune system!

The D3 seemed to boost the number of a certain type of T cell, or immune system cells that seek out and destroy infected cells. That same process also slashes your levels of inflammation, another major risk factor for infection (as well as chronic disease).

Now, all the talk on this study I've seen is on how these folks were given "mega" doses of vitamin D.

Hogwash.

The maximum daily dose was less than 10,000 IU per day, and after a month that amount was cut in half, or just under 5,000 IU per day.

In other words: what most naturopathic docs will tell you is the MINIMUM you should be getting -- which isn't even "high" at all.

It used the very levels many health-conscious Americans are already getting every day!

The best way to get your D is completely free: Get out under the sun. Your body can convert UV rays into 10,000 IU of vitamin D per day in as little as 15 or 20 minutes, depending on the time of year, where you are, and how much skin you're showing (for maximum D, show as much as you can without getting arrested).

You don't need sunscreen. Just be sure to get inside before you get burned.

Since there are so many variables that can affect D production, take a supplement daily as well. If you get plenty of sunshine, you may need a lower dose.

If you don't get much, you'll need a higher one.

Your doc can help figure out where you stand and how much you need.

Shining a light....

I was taking vitamin D3 over that period, but only 2,000 I.U.s daily. 

Had I known about this potential of vitamin D, I would have eagerly increased my dosage to 10,000 I.U.s.

I had a little difficulty figuring out just where the actual identification of the dosage was in that study, and then I found this:
After baseline assessment, each volunteer received a weekly dose of 980 IU/kg bodyweight of vitamin D3 (Oleovit D3, Fresenius Kabi, Graz, Austria) for 4 weeks representing a daily dose of 140 IU/kg bodyweight, but maximal 68,600 IU per week in total. For the remaining 4 weeks, each volunteer received a weekly vitD3 dose of 490 IU/kg bodyweight (daily dose of 70 IU/kg bodyweight), but maximal 34,300 IU per week in total.
Just forget all the talk of I.U.s per kilogramme of bodyweight and focus on the fact that each subject received a "maximal 68,600 IU per week in total."

Thus, 68,600 I.U.s ÷ 7 days in a week =  9,800 I.U.s per day.

So, round that up a bit to an even 10,000 I.U.s.

The test subjects were on that dose for four weeks, and then it was cut in half for another four weeks.

Here is one other report about the study:


I am fortunate to live where vitamin dosages are not restricted, so I buy tablets of vitamin D3 that are 1,000 I.U.s in strength.

Had I known of the potentiality of defeating that infection at its onset late last November, I would have taken five tablets with a breakfast/lunch, and another five with a supper.

And I would have done so for at least a month, if I needed to.

╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝╝

I have had a vague headache much of the day, so this is as good a place as any to close out with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

At least twice a week, I would hike out from my room at Ninth Street & Third Avenue to visit my mother Irene Dorosh ─ she lived in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey.

Her home was my mailing address.  The house is now gone, but its address used to be 12106 - 90th Avenue.  To walk there would take me 1½ hours at a goodly pace.

This day was to be one of those visits, and I was bringing a chicken I had bought that my mother had promised that she would turn into a chicken pie.

Alex was my mother's husband.
WEDNESDAY, June 11, 1975

A sunny day.

I hiked to mom's with my chicken, and she made a deep pie with it, but at most, I could only consume half due to food eaten before.  Alex' supper problem was solved.

For mail I had a Lottery ticket acknowledgment receipt.

Phyllis' Dave brought a white bitch and pups mom promised to hold a while; they were placed out back.

Since getting back from dad's yesterday, my back ─ especially the center ─  has bothered me with a prickly itch.

Anyway, my pre-feeding weight is still a couple pounds 'neath 190.

Mom had me stop and register a Montreal-bound letter re our win; apparently a fellow ahead of me won $100, while a woman working in the drug store won $1,000.

Again I noticed a few interesting females.

This morning I was dreaming of myself and some others being pursued by deadly, weird beings such as vampires and werewolves.

I bought a $1 Ontario Legion raffle ticket on $1,000 from mom.
She and I had shared on the price of an Olympic Lottery ticket that had won us $100 the previous Sunday, and we both were now into the grip of lottery fever.  

It sounds like we first needed to lay claim to the prize, and that involved the registered letter to Montreal.  Or so I am concluding. 

And while I was waiting to have it registered at the post office ─ probably one located in a drugstore ─ there might have been someone in line ahead of me doing the same thing for his own $100 win.

The news that a woman working there in the drugstore had won $1,000 on that same draw would only have fired my enthusiasm.

I never mentioned what lottery ticket the receipt or acknowledgment was for, but it could well have been a Western Lottery ticket.

It was the boyfriend of my older maternal half-sister Phyllis who had brought the female dog and her pups to harbour at my mother's home.

Although I never strictly stated it when I wrote the previous day of my visit to see my father, I think it involved quite a walk ─ he lived in Burnaby, and I likely walked there and then home again.  And since I had badly sunburned myself on June 1st, the itching may have related to the healing my skin was undergoing.

I did lots of walking back then ─ thus, it somewhat surprises me that I had weighed over 190 pounds for what may have been several months.  I had always thought that my weight held fairly steady in the low 180s throughout most of my adult life.

Anyway, just as the day before, I was noticing lovely young ladies out-and-about.  It was always stirring, but it could also hurt.  After all, I was a single young man who felt that he had no job prospects, yet who longed so keenly to have love in his life.

Today, it is a return of love that I bear hope of, but that is in God's hands.
Post a Comment