.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Friday, June 10, 2016

Warning: Barbecue-Cleaning Wire-Bristle Brushes │ Pre-Colonoscopy Diet Does Not Need to Be Liquid │ Let's Ban Triclosan

Although recollection is indistinct, I think it may have been around midnight before I made it to bed last night.

I have been working on a new post at my Latin Impressions website since Monday, and the post still is not ready for publishing!  I had to break off from it this morning to begin readying for the four-mile or so round-trip hike to the government liquor store at 108th Avenue & King George Boulevard here in Whalley.

I like to get these forays underway fairly early ─ and make ready for them before my two step-sons are up.

It was 9:57 a.m. when I set off.

I had the monthly expenses reconciliation cheque to deposit that my younger brother Mark had given me; all that used to require was for me to stop in at Surrey Place (Central City) ─ roughly half-way to my destination.

For  many years, Coast Capital Savings had an office and a couple of ATMs there.

But just recently, they relocated to the huge building that has become their headquarters over by the King George SkyTrain Station.

And so it is to there that I had to direct myself early into my journey.

Granted, it does not add any distance to my trek, but it makes the hike to the liquor store more distasteful because now I have to walk the King George to the liquor store instead of traveling a variety of quieter streets as I work myself to my destination.

The weather was mostly overcast and very cool, and occasionally the clouds worked at doing more than just try to spit a little rain.

I bought my two dozen cans of strong (8% alcohol) beer and a mickey of white rum without issue.  However, as I was making my way home again, and walking along 105th Avenue to reach and turn left onto University Drive, I heard and espied a fairly young man in a short-sleeved shirt wailing eerily and madly running about.

I first noticed him running on a short trail that essentially follows the route of the overhead SkyTrain track in that area.

If you refer to this Google map, you should be able to identify what I mean.

He had been running from the direction of 105-A Avenue, and came out onto 134-A Street ─ which I was approaching as I trekked along 105th Avenue.  The somewhat meandering blue line in that map is the elevated SkyTrain.

He was constantly wailing, and flapping his arms.  When he would stop, he would bend over until his head was as low as his knees, and assume that position while still making those eerie sounds.

Then he would stand, seemingly unaware of anything around him, and ─ still wailing ─ slap his legs and sides over and over as if he was putting out flames.

Then he would run a little ways more in a different direction, stop and bend over, and continue with the slapping ─ all while making that wailing.

Had I not had a pack in each hand that was bearing a dozen cans of beer, I would have recorded some of this guy's deranged antics.

Even when he would stop, he was never still.  And he never seemed to be seeing anything ─ such as me passing fairly nearby.

I could still hear him for a time after I had turned left onto University Drive, and soon he was out of earshot.

That part of Whalley ─ back to the liquor store and beyond ─ is notorious for its populations of drug addicts, homeless people, and cheap street-walkers.  I have no idea what sort of dope the unfortunate was on, but it defies my understanding why anyone would want to deliberately put themselves into that state.

I'll continue to stick to booze, thanks.

Anyway, by the time I was maybe a couple of blocks from home, the clouds finally did start to produce sufficient drops of rain to begin getting everything wet.

I was back here at 11:30 a.m.

Neither of my step-sons was yet up.

I had a light breakfast, knowing that I was soon to decline from the exertion of my outing.  And by 12:18 p.m., I had betaken myself to bed for some rest ─ even a nap.  First, though, I locked the front door ─ nobody was up even then.

Those two brothers can be damned shiftless ─ and the youngest was in bed with his girlfriend who seems to share his penchant to be as physically inactive as possible for as long as possible.

I likely did succumb to a short nap, and was in bed for well over an hour.  In fact, it was very difficult to rally myself to finally emerge from the covers and get up.

The Sun was shining brightly outside, although there were still loads of clouds everywhere.

I could then smell that someone had been cooking in the kitchen.

I came downstairs and fixed myself my day's second hot beverage, and was soon back upstairs and at work upon this post.

╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜

Here is a photo I would like to post ─ the brief description beneath it is from the Google album where I have the image stored:

This is Tukta posed in front of a rather iconic crocodile at the Million Years Stone Park & Pattaya Crocodile Farm.

She ─ along with Tumma and Jack (Supranee) ─ had driven me to visit this feature back in January 2003 during my first visit to Thailand.
While we were all strolling around that attraction back then, a Thai photographer snapped my photo ─ and captured a little of Jack.

When I agreed to it, the image was applied onto a souvenir plate:


Jack and I were to get engaged in 2004; and in 2005, we got married. 

She was finally able to come to Canada in 2006; but in just a few years she began to transform, and I was to find myself married to someone other than the dear and basic woman I had first married.  

As I have said before, I very much miss my original wife ─ the young woman who had never left her country before coming here to Canada.

╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜

Do you barbecue?  Or eat food someone else may have barbecued?

Check out this report from NewMarketHealth.com:
It's a sure sign that summer is right around the corner -- the aroma of steaks, burgers and chicken on the grill!

But of all the potential dangers you might expect to be warned about when grilling, this is one of the biggest -- and the smallest.

Researchers are sounding the alarm over a hidden danger that may be found in food hot off the barbie -- tiny pieces of wire that can break off from brushes when cleaning your grill.

It's something that has sent over a thousand people to the ER, and it can cause you more pain and suffering than you could imagine.

Dr. David Chang, from the University of Missouri School of Medicine, said that small pieces of wire on a grill can hide in food, and when eaten lodge in the mouth, throat and tonsils.

And even if you successfully swallow a barb, it can then get stuck "farther downstream" in your esophagus, stomach or even intestine.

That's what happened recently to Cheryl Harrison, a Connecticut woman who needed emergency surgery to remove a wire fragment from her lower intestine. And this was two days after she accidentally ingested it in a burger.

Harrison now warns others to "visually check to see if any bristles (are) hanging out or stuck on the grill."

And Dr. Chang adds these additional suggestions for safer grilling:
  • Check out wire-bristle brushes before using them, and discard if any of the bristles are loose.
  • Use alternative cleaning methods such as nylon bristle brushes or even rolled up tin foil.
  • Check out grilled food after cooking to make sure no bristles are stuck to the food.
All those precautions may seem like a pain in the neck, but swallowing one of these little devils can produce a pain of a far worse kind! 
I expect that this is the official source of that advice from Dr. David Chang:


And here is a report concerning brush wire-bristle victim Cheryl Harrison:


╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜

I'm 66 years old, and have never had a colonoscopy.

I realize that I probably should have one, but I just don't value myself enough.

If I was not living under such a burden of debt as I am, and if I had the resources allowing me to truly enjoy life, then it would be different ─ I would care far more about my life.

Regardless, here is a report on the importance of colonoscopy:

I doubt you’ll ever hear the phrase “as pleasant as a colonoscopy” used without sarcasm.

But trust me on this one: The procedure itself is a breeze. You’re sedated, so it might actually be some of the best rest you’ve had in weeks.

The worst part comes before – when you have to practically STARVE yourself to get your bowels “prepped” for the procedure. You’re supposed to limit yourself to stuff like water, broth, and JELL-O.

BLECH!

It’s pure torture, and doctors say it’s a key reason patients refuse to get a colonoscopy or schedule one and then bail at the last minute.

Well, my friend, the torture is about to come to an end – because new research finds you CAN actually eat certain delicious and filling foods before your colonoscopy as long as you stick to a “low-residue” diet.

I won’t get into the disgusting details, but let’s just say these are foods that leave less “residue” in the places where your doc will be looking.

The key here is that it includes some decent dining options like eggs, yogurt, and chicken breasts.

The new study finds that this, and not the liquid diet, should be the standard – because it actually works BETTER for doctors and patient alike!

Folks on the low-residue diet are less likely to cheat and eat something they shouldn’t… so, as a result, they’re more likely to have their bowels ready for the procedure.

And that means your doc will have an easier time doing his job without having to poke through too much… well… you know what.

Sure, there are other parts of the procedure that are no fun. You still have to drink that chalky liquid and then camp out on the toilet while stuff you ate back in 1993 comes rushing out your other end.

Consider it a chance to catch up on your reading.

And even if your doc won’t allow you to get away with a low-residue diet… even if he insists it’s liquids-only the day before… don’t let that put you off of getting the procedure altogether.

Unlike other cancer screenings, which often lead to the harmful over-treatment of harmless tumors, the colonoscopy can stop a potentially deadly cancer with almost no risk at all.

In most cases, your doc will be able to do everything at once. He can check your colon AND pluck out any polyps that look like troublemakers right there on the spot.

I’ve got a few tips on how to minimize the unpleasant parts of the procedure and maximize its effectiveness… right down to the best time of day for both you and your doc.

Read all about it in this free report from the Daily Dose archives.

On top of the news about bottoms....
The "low residue" study has yet to be published ─ it was part of a May 23 presentation at the so-called Digestive Disease Week held in San Diego.


This is better:
Author Block:

Jason B. Samarasena¹, Marielle Reataza¹, Nathan Kwak¹, Joshua Steichen¹, Gregory Albers¹, Nimisha K. Parekh¹, William E. Karnes¹, Douglas L. Nguyen¹, Robert H. Lee¹, M. Mazen Jamal¹
¹ Gastroenterology, University of California - Irvine, Long Beach, California, United States

Abstract:
Background:

Colon cancer deaths can be prevented by colonoscopy, yet colorectal cancer screening participation remains low. Patients often cite bowel preparation and associated dietary restrictions as the greatest deterrents to having a colonoscopy done. Large studies comparing low residue diet and clear liquid diet are still limited. The aim of this study was was to compare low residue diet to clear liquid diet with regards to bowel preparation quality, tolerance and satisfaction among a diverse patient population.

Methods:

This study is a multicenter, randomized, single blinded, prospective trial involving adult patients undergoing outpatient colonoscopy at a Tertiary care center and a Veterans Administration hospital. Patients were randomized to consume a clear liquid diet (CLD) or a planned low residue diet (LRD) for the full day prior to colonoscopy. Both groups consumed 4L split-dosed PEG-ELS. The adequacy of bowel preparation was evaluated using the BBPS. Adequate preparation was defined as a BBPS > 6. Hunger and fatigue pre and post procedure were graded on a 10-point scale. Nausea, vomiting, bloating, abdominal cramping, and overall discomfort were assessed. Satisfaction with the diet, willingness to repeat the same preparation (diet and purgative) and overall experience were assessed. A planned Interim analysis of patient tolerance and satisfaction was carried out.

Results:

A total of 83 patients who underwent colonoscopy from November 2014 to November 2015 were included in this interim analysis. The mean BPPS for the LRD and CLD groups was 7.98 and 7.54, respectively. There was a significantly higher number of adequate preparations in the LRD group compared to CLD (p = 0.05). Qualitatively, evening hunger scores just prior to purgative intake were significantly lower in the LRD than CLD group, 3.5 vs 6.9, respectively (p = 0.001). Morning post-prep fatigue scores were also significantly lower in the LRD than CLD group, 3.5 vs 6, respectively (p = 0.01). Mean symptom scores for nausea, vomiting, bloating, abdominal cramping and overall discomfort did not differ significantly between the groups. Satisfaction with diet was reported in significantly more patients in the LRD group than CLD, 97% vs 46% respectively (p < 0.001).

Conclusions:

This interim analysis demonstrates that patients using a low residue diet before colonoscopy achieve a bowel preparation quality that may be superior to patients on a clear liquid diet restriction. As has been demonstrated previously this study shows low residue diet improves patient satisfaction and results in significantly better tolerability of bowel preparation. As a less restrictive dietary regimen, low residue diet, may help improve patient participation in colorectal cancer screening programs.
But here are are a few further reports about it:




╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜
 
I have read enough over the past few years to understand that the antimicrobial chemical triclosan has no business being in anything we use ─ it should even not be manufactured.

People have become downright terrified of a little dirt. They carry around hand sanitizers… open doorknobs with a tissue… and wash with “antibacterial” soap.

If every little germ were THAT dangerous, the human race would’ve been wiped off the map ages ago!

Fact is, a little dirt is good for us – and trying to cut your exposure to every single germ can do more harm than good.

And that’s especially true if you use antibacterial soap.

The latest research shows once again how the main ingredient in antibacterial soaps and other antimicrobial products can do so much more than kill germs.

It could also wreck you from the inside!

It’s called triclosan, and it’s used in everything from soaps to sanitizers to toothpaste – and the new study on zebrafish finds that once it gets inside the body, it starts messing with the delicate balance of bacteria inside the gut.

Some die off more quickly, others manage to survive – but either way, it leads to seismic shift in the balance of bacteria.

And in studies on humans, we know that these types of shifts in the gut bacteria can cause everything from easy weight gain to chronic health problems including diabetes and heart disease.

I know what you’re thinking: SO WHAT? I’m not a fish… and I’m not eating soap!

Neither of that matters. The fish are used because scientists would rather poison them than people – and since they share 84 percent of the genes linked to HUMAN disease, they make a reasonable substitute (but if anyone from PETA wants to take their place, please feel free to volunteer).

And you don’t have to EAT soap to get dosed with triclosan. This stuff can push itself into your body right through your skin!

Odds are, though, you’re eating it, too – because it’s turning up increasingly in food and water.

Along with changing the balance of bacteria in your gut, a study on mice found triclosan can block the signals between brain and muscle – leading to a weaker grip and… ready for this one?... deteriorating heart function!

It’s also a known endocrine disruptor that can mess with hormones including thyroid, testosterone, and estrogen.

If that’s not bad enough, the very reason for the existence of triclosan is a bold-faced lie – because even the feds admit there’s absolutely no reason for this stuff to be in anything.

Wash with antibacterial soap containing triclosan, and your hands will no cleaner than if you had done it properly with the plain old 99 44/100 percent pure Ivory soap of your childhood using the method you learned in kindergarten.

Lather up both sides of the hands, scrub long enough to sing your ABCs, then rinse.

Couldn’t be simpler – and you’ll kill germs without killing yourself.

Cleaning up this mainstream mess....
The zebrafish study is linked to in at least two of the three articles that follow, so I won't bother digging it up to display:




I included that last reference despite not personally having any conflict whatsoever about triclosan's harm.

╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜╜

This is where I conclude with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.
TUESDAY, June 10, 1975

Up about 5:45 a.m., or slightly before.

Mark forgot to come for dad's address.

I went to Safeway and spent $1.02 on stewing chicken for tomorrow's pie(s).  I did this in rain.

Taking my umbrella I next set off for Bill's cannery to apply, nearly backing out at the outset; as was, the weather was overcast, and when I reached the cannery, it was then I backed out after noting the interior gloom, noise, steam, and hurrying strangers and machines.

I continued to dad's.

He and Marie were ill but sober; but they soon left for some shopping, returning with a half pack of beer and a half gallon of Slingers wine. 

They eventually became drunk and argumentative, fighting over the final couple inches of wine.

They cooked a pot of spaghetti & meatballs, and I overate.

I arrived there about 12:45 p.m., and left toward 8:00 p.m.

The day had turned sunny.  

So many pretty girls were evident on my journey, really bringing out my longing and despair of myself. 

When I got home I found dad's address removed from my door.
My father Hector and his girlfriend Maria Fadden had recently moved, and my younger brother Mark wanted me to leave him the address upon my door so that he could pick it up after he finished work the night before at the mill he was employed with.

Evidently he forgot to swing on by.

The chicken was for one or more pies that my mother Irene Dorosh had said that she would prepare for me. 

My old friend William Alan Gill was employed at the Royal City Foods cannery, which used to be located just downriver from the Pattullo Bridge in New Westminster.

I had good intentions of applying there for work, but I was quite uneasy about machinery, and not comfortable around people ─ so I lost my nerve once I had reached the cannery. 

My father and Maria were living in Burnaby ─ I do not specify it, but my suspicion is that I walked all the way to their apartment.  That would explain why they went shopping and I seemed to have remained in their apartment ─ I had done enough walking by that point.

They were probably hungover ─ they were alcoholics.  So with me as their motivation, they went out and bought some groceries and the beer and wine.

I had forgotten about the Slinger label, produced by Growers Wines.  In doing a little research, I see that Growers Wines and Villa Wines were merged in 1976 to become Jordan & Ste-Michelle Cellars Ltd.

Now that latter name is no longer extant, either.

Undoubtedly I helped my father and Maria drink up the half-gallon of wine, and the half-dozen beers.

My father ─ despite his faults ─ was so darned generous to me, even when he was hungover or drunk.  It hurts me to think about it today ─ I miss the guy.

He did of a heart-attack in the Kingsgate Mall in Vancouver in 1983, just 10 days after his 62nd birthday.  I have now outlived him.   

Anyway...did I walk back to my room in New Westminster after leaving him and Maria?  It is very possible.

I was always very lonely for for an enduring romantic relationship, so it hurt me deeply to see comely young ladies everywhere ─ I too often felt that I was unfit to be loved.

I had nothing material to offer ─ I felt myself to be just a loser, with no hope of functionally fitting into society.
Post a Comment