.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Saturday, June 25, 2016

"Worst GMO Labeling Bill Money Can Buy?" │ Cranberry Extract + Probiotics Proven to Overcome E. Coli

With my younger brother Mark home last evening, I sat up watching T.V. news with him until he finally went up to his bedroom well after 11:00 p.m.

Also, I was not sure if my wife Jack would be making an appearance home from Vancouver, so that stayed me, too.

I think it may have been a few minutes after midnight before I was into my own bed.

There seems to have been some rain overnight, but I was up this morning shortly after 7:00 a.m. and there has been nothing but the cloud cover since then.

As for my wife Jack, she phoned me early this afternoon to report that she would be coming home around 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. this evening.

My youngest step-son Pote apparently doesn't have to work today, so his girlfriend has spent the night and will likely be with him all the day.  The best I can hope is that they'll plan to do something away from home and give me a break from their presence in the house.

Apart from that complaint, there really is nothing much else to my day.

Through much of my morning, I worked at setting up a new post at my Siam-Longings website, but it's not going to be ready for publishing until possibly as late as Wednesday. 

 »»»»»»»»»»»»»»

Now I would like to post a family photo ─ the description beneath it is from the Google album where I have the scanned image stored:

My mother Irene Dorosh.

I cannot date the photo, nor state where she was at the time; but it is clearly someplace very warm that had a rather swank swimming pool.

If pressed to suggest a timeframe for the photo, it could be from the decade of the 1980s ─ but it might even be from the 1990s.

From my older maternal half-sister Phyllis:

"...Mom on the lounger is definitely in the southern US."
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

I've never been anywhere near the American state of Vermont, but I am inordinately 'bummed' by what's going on there ─ politicians greedily sucking the enormous Monsanto teat instead of safeguarding the public interest.

The following are a selection of passages from a larger piece supposedly authored by Organic Consumers Association's director Ronnie Cummins: 

The darkest DARK Act of them all . . .
The long-awaited Senate bill to kill Vermont’s mandatory GMO labeling law was unveiled last week.

It’s worse than we imagined, the darkest DARK Act of them all.

The bill proposed by Sens. Pat Roberts and Debbie Stabenow is an anti-consumer, pro-Monsanto masterpiece, bought and paid for by some of the greediest, most deceptive corporations in America.

It’s full of loopholes and exemptions.

It allows food companies to “disclose” GMO ingredients using barcode technology and websites, instead of clear words, in plain view, on the package.

It won't kick in for another two years, even though many food companies are already labeling in order to comply with Vermont’s law.

And here’s the best worst part: The Roberts-Stabenow bill gives food companies permission to flaunt the law by ensuring that there will be no penalites, no consequences, if they fail to comply.
That's not a law. That's a joke.

I don’t know if we can stop this brazen attack on states’ and consumer rights.

But I know we have to try.

Roberts and Stabenow didn’t act in time to keep Vermont’s long-awaited mandatory GMO labeling law from taking effect on July 1.

But as soon as both the House and the Senate return after the July 4 holiday recess, Monsanto’s hired guns will move heaven and earth to ram this bill through Congress.

This federal, so-called “mandatory” labeling law doesn’t require labels on some of the most common GMO ingredients.

It allows regulatory agencies to set thresholds so high that many, or most GE ingredients wouldn’t have to be labeled.

It also provides for defining “genetic engineering” in such a way that GMO corn and soy, the main GMO crops grown in the U.S., could be exempt.

The Roberts-Stabenow bill is so weak, it wouldn’t be worth the Senate’s time to vote on it, except for this one fact: If passed, the bill will achieve Monsanto’s two primary goals—overturn Vermont’s law, and give food companies a permanent free pass to deceive the public.

We owe it to ourselves to see this battle through to the end. Please call your Senators, visit their offices, then call them again.

If Congress fails us on this issue, we will use every resource we have to launch massive boycotts of the brands and companies behind this bill, including factory farm producers of meat, eggs and dairy.

And with your help, we will do everything in our power to make sure that the Congress members who sold us down the river never serve in office again.
I left out the sections that were seeking donations for the cause, and explaining that Mercola.com would match all donations that had been received by June 30.

But you can find that information for yourself at their website:


This part of "the Roberts-Stabenow deal" would be absolutely useless to me if I lived in Vermont:
Under the plan, food companies would be required to disclose which products contain genetically modified ingredients. But companies would have a range of options in just how they make that disclosure: They could place text on food packaging, provide a QR (Quick Response) code, or direct consumers to a phone number or a website with more information.
If the product was not clearly labeled, then having a QR code ─ or else some ridiculous telephone number to phone for further information ─ would be a total dead-end where I am concerned.

I'm not into gimmicky cellphone 'apps' ─ a QR code is worthless to me.

That bit of information is quoted from a June 23 NPR.org article:


That article further points out that "roughly 75 percent of processed foods in the U.S. contain genetically modified ingredients."

This has become insane...

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

Apart from yogurt and some kefir, I have never tried a probiotic supplement.

And as for yogurt, I'm unsure if I have had any more often than once in the past year; kefir...well, it's been decades.

Now that I am with just a pension income, I can't afford to add these things to my diet.

Anyway, here's a report that suggests a possible defence once antibiotics become ineffective:

Big Pharma is trying to turn the superbug crisis into a shot at a billion-dollar payday, attempting to FORCE governments to pay in advance for the development of new antibiotics.

But you don't need billions to cook up a cure to today's biggest superbug threat.

The very remedies once dismissed as "folk medicine" can do a whole lot more than many of today's big-money meds, fighting off infections... even as drugs such as antibiotics fail.

Now, the latest research backs an approach you first read about right here in the Daily Dose more than a year ago -- confirming that two time-tested natural cures can do even more together than when taken alone.

And ladies, if you're prone to a certain infection "down there," these could be the answer to your prayers.

One of them is a probiotic supplement. Ever wonder what they're doing for you... and maybe even if they're worth the money?

They're worth every penny, my friend, especially if you suffer from frequent urinary tract infections -- because in vitro experiments show how certain strains of Lactobacillus can create an "inhospitable environment" for the E. coli bacteria responsible for UTIs.

That's exactly the kind of environment you want down there, ladies.

The study also confirms that the special compounds in cranberries called "proanthocyanidins" can knock those E. coli bugs down for the count.

But like I said, we already know this.

The REAL news here is what happened when researchers tried them TOGETHER.

They not only didn't interfere with one another... but they joined forces like Batman and Robin to knock out E. coli with a one-two punch. That means 1) stopping the disease before it even starts and 2) cutting the infection short if you do get sick, especially if you load up at the first sign of pain "down there."

KAPOW!

There is a catch, and it's a pretty big one: I don't mean "cranberry juice."

Sorry... but most of those godawful "cranberry cocktails" sold in the drink aisle actually contain little cranberry. Even the "100 percent" juice products aren't 100 percent cranberry -- because if they were, you'd probably gag on the first sip.

Pure cranberry is hard to take, which is why sugars and other juices are blended in -- but those won't cut the mustard when it comes to protecting yourself from UTIs.

If you're prone to these infections or are suffering one, try a cranberry extract supplement instead, and don't forget a probiotic to go with it.

Beating back bugs....

And here's one more report on it:


»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

I could have sat out in the backyard this afternoon ─ lots of nice sunny breaks.  

But I had to seek a nap late in the morning due to feeling 'off,' and I still don't feel all that good ─ my bad vision affects my overall well-being far too regularly.    

I want to get this post published before my wife Jack shows up, so I am going to close now with this entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting my room in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

At least a couple of times a week, I would hike out to visit my mother Irene Dorosh off in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey.  Her home was my mailing address, but I would also get to enjoy some good meals not available to me on my limited budget in New Westminster.

The old house is now gone, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue.  The hike to get there from where I lived was roughly 1½ hours at a goodly pace.
WEDNESDAY, June 25, 1975

I awoke 5:45 a.m.

Looks like another cloudy day.

I believe I'll stop off at the welfare office on my way to mom's.

The receptionist recorded this; I am to go tomorrow.

It had been spitting rain, and this gradually developed into a drizzle.  

I stopped and bought at Townline a $12.50 money order so I can order Mark an Olympic and Western lottery ticket; I unsuccessfully sought some boiling chicken in Econo-mart; I noticed they have some excellent Foremost ice-cream flavours; next week I'll take advantage of this.

No mail at mom's; she was out running errands.

I weighed myself; I'm 184 or 185 unfed; so I ate heavily.

Mom said she'd gotten Phyllis to take away the dog.

She said Thursday night Mark might come for me to partake of a get-together in planning our week-end trip.  Apparently Charlie has a tarp for us two, and got hold of 4 rubber rafts.

Yesterday mom noticed the hummingbird outside with two young; she approached them, and managed to pet one and even get it to roost on a finger.  When Alex came home, he too enjoyed this.

Anyway, it poured today till just before I headed home; by then it had stopped.

I guess 'lights out' will be no later than 8:45 p.m.
I worked just one day a week through an employment incentives programme in place with my employer and New Westminster social services.

The previous week, I had avoided keeping an appointment with my social worker.  Then ─ as my journal entry for yesterday (1975) recorded ─ I received a letter at my room that stated that I would NOT be receiving any further income supplementation until I had met with my social worker.

Thus, I stopped in to see him while on my way to visit my mother, but evidently he was unavailable.  But at least the receptionist took note that I had been there, and seems to have set up something for me on the following day.

The intersection of 96th Avenue & Scott Road in Surrey used to be generally known as "Townline" ─ Townline was actually the street name for 96th Avenue before the numerical street system existed.

The Townline shopping plaza had a number of stores, including a pharmacy that was also a postal depot; and that Econo-Mart, a supermarket that was part of a chain that has long since ceased operation.

I bought the $12.50 money order in order to mail away for two lottery tickets as a birthday gift for my younger brother Mark:  the Olympic Lottery ticket was probably $10, and the Western Lottery ticket $2.50.

My normal body-weight in pounds for most of my adult life has been in the low 180s; however, at that point, I had been into the 190s for a number of months.  I seemed to again be stabilizing at the lighter range.

And so I celebrated by overeating!

The dog was named "Cookie," and was a new mother.  My older maternal half-sister had taken advantage of our mother (and mymother's husband Alex) to 'store' the dog and pups in a shed in back of the house.

But then Phyllis seemed to be doing nothing about selling or giving the dogs away.  As it was, Alex hated dogs.

Finally, my mother had to tell Phyllis that the dogs had to go in short order.  

Now that I think about this, perhaps Phyllis had managed to get rid of the pups, but was doing nothing about taking back "Cookie" ─ it is too long ago for me to recall the circumstances now. 

The "week-end trip" that was upcoming was to involve my brother Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther, a really good-humoured chap named Charlie Little, myself, and Mark's German shepherd Daboda.

We were to be headed off to the mountains in the Chilliwack/Hope area.  I remember nothing about rubber rafts, however.  I just remember a fairly lengthy hike up into the mountains in search of a specific lake, and arriving above it to find everything covered in snow.

It proved a rather cool night! 

It will be interesting for me to read about that trip ─ I've forgotten so much in the past four decades.

Mark and I heard some years later that happy-go-lucky Charlie Little actually became a suicide.  I've never been able to get details about that.
Post a Comment