.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Thursday, July 21, 2016

★ AVG AntiVirus Free Edition Troubles

What went wrong?

I had a decent evening ─ even my younger brother Mark wasn't at his worst.

After he retired, and I had gone outside to water the front yard garden, I came back inside, turned off the T.V., and came here to do my usual catch-up on accumulated E-mails.

And then my mind turned to iniquity and I was soon in the full embrace of my bane nemesis.

It was 3:31 a.m. by the time I was in bed, utterly sick of myself.

One does not have a good night of it in that mind-frame.

In fact, it wasn't quite 8:00 a.m. when I decided that I was going to rise ─ and by the time I was up onto my feet, I had been in bed a mere 4½ hours.

And that was not a solid block of sleep, either.

My spirits were at a low descent.

I had wanted to make a hike to the government liquor store this morning for beer, but I was so tired and despairing.

Yet my make-up is such that the only way in which I could excuse myself from undertaking my usual apportionments of exercise over the day would be by having the justification to skip them by undergoing this rather arduous foray.

I wanted to get a new post set up to work upon over the next few days at my Thai-Iceland website, so I got at that.

And then when I was nearing the completion of that set-up, my AVG AntiVirus Free Edition popped up a little notification of the sort that only displays for maybe 10 seconds before fading back down into permanent obscurity.

I only caught a little of what it was notifying me, but what gist I did get was that the antivirus had removed a software programme that is quite important to me for the finding of  much of the material I collect together for my lengthy posts.

Yet the software had been there on my computer for years along with the antivirus programme, and there was never before a conflict.

It was the .exe portion of the software that the antivirus programme felt objection to.

The software was not displaying in the Virus Vault, so I had no idea how else to locate it.

I went to the software website and attempted over and over to download a new version of the software, but this attempt kept failing.

I think AVG AntiVirus Free Edition was interfering at the very end of the download process and preventing the software from getting executed and reestablished on my computer.

What I eventually did was download the software onto a flash stick or drive, and that did seem to allow me to start using it again.

Meanwhile, all morning AVG AntiVirus Free Edition kept prompting me to restart my computer to finish an update ─ each time the prompt displayed, I would select the option to postpone for an hour.

Finally I had to break away for some breakfast/lunch, for it was the noon hour and I was growing hungry.  My youngest step-son Pote ─ who had been up since just after 8:00 a.m. ─ was still home, but I was expecting that he likely would be leaving to catch his bus to work.

I had correctly surmised that he had an early afternoon start at work today.

When finally he left, I was free to make a meal and eat it; and then to see if I could rally enough to make that four-mile round-trip hike to the government liquor store at 108th Avenue & King George Boulevard here in Whalley.

It took me some degree of fussing to ready myself, for it was a sunny and rather hot day.

Rallying to the fact that I could not allow myself two exercise-free consecutive days by postponing this trip until tomorrow, I managed to elevate my spirits considerably; and at 2:30 p.m., I was on my way.

I hate going anywhere so late in the afternoon ─ I prefer getting away in the morning.

The trip was without much incident, although I did cross paths with street walkers early into the return portion of my hike.

The first gal was the cutest, and she was actually an extremely lovely little thing situated over by the side of the building that serves as the BC Lions' clubhouse, I guess.

She was at the side of that building that was closest to the skateboarding 'park' that is alongside the Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre.

She seemed to be involved with a few tents that were also by the BC Lions clubhouse and training field ─ maybe one of them was actually for the benefit of any customers she might have lured.

It wouldn't surprise me.

Tiny as she was, she had a super set of showy legs.

The next hooker was a block or two farther on at 105 Avenue right after I forsook City Parkway and was working my way towards University Drive as this Google map should display.

She was a little larger than the first tiny gal, but still attractive enough ─ and wearing the briefest of shorts giving her legs full display; and wearing just a halter-top above, revealing lots of bare midriff.

She actually addressed me, asking how I was.

Without slowing down as I proceeded past her, I just replied with emphasis that I was "very warm!"

She acknowledged that, and said a little more that I couldn't catch.

I wouldn't mind chatting up any of these young ladies, but I just don't have the time...nor the resources.

I was back home a minute or two under 1½ hours ─ it was almost 4:00 p.m.  Tho was home from work, and apparently in his bed resting-up for whatever mischief he'll be involved with this evening after he takes off.

I didn't need the beer ─ I'm just two cans shy of having four dozen cans on hand already.  But it's better to have far more than I need, than to be running out.

And besides, today was a physical write-off where exercise was concerned ─ I needed the punishment.  And it's going to free me up to be back to my normal self tomorrow.

By the way, I had restarted my computer to update the antivirus programme before going on that jaunt.

On a hunch, I checked my AVG AntiVirus Free Edition's Virus Vault again, and this time the software was listed ─ the antivirus programme must have needed to update in order to display that latest quarantined item.

I have Restored it, and then gone to Advanced settings in the Options area and now registered the full pathway of the software's file as an Exception that the antivirus is to not scan henceforth.

◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄

This weekend, Holland Park ─ nearly the halfway point in my hike to the government liquor store ─ is to be the scene of this year's Fusion Festival.

Perhaps I'll try and get out on either Saturday or Sunday to hike around some of the Whalley area, and take some photos.

To help boost my confidence, I'll do some sunning tomorrow on the sundeck if I'm home alone, and the weather is similar to today ─ sunny and fairly hot.

I might even get over to where my younger brother Mark lived on Bentley Road back in the mid-1970s ─ I'm sure the house is long gone, though, just as is the elementary school that was immediately adjacent to it.

I want now to post the following photo that I scanned ─ it's from a collection that belonged to my mother Irene Dorosh.

The description beneath it is from the Google album where I have the image stored:

I believe that this yucca was one growing in the front yard of the home my mother Irene Dorosh shared with her husband Alex in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey, B.C.

The house no longer exists, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue.

The photo could have been taken anytime from the very late 1960s through to the early 1980s.
◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄

I suffered a decline while working on this post and needed to lie down ─ too little sleep overnight, and too much exertion in the hot Sun hauling home a dozen cans of strong (8% alcohol) beer in each hand.

Sure, I had each dozen in a pack and a tote bag, but those two miles become an effort when neither arm gets a relief from the strain. 

Heck, even the fingers start to tingle with numbness due to the nearly relentless pressure of the pack's and tote bag's straps on the fingers. 

And now it is well past 7:00 p.m. ─ I want a quick bath, and then get downstairs to watch my evening's television programming while enjoying some beer.

So to close out today's short post, here is an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster

I was living on Ninth Street, right at Third Avenue.  However, I was into the second week of sleeping at the home of my younger brother Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther.

They were renting a home together located on Bentley Road in Whalley ─ the house was not too far from the intersection of 108th Avenue & King George Highway.

They wanted me to tend to their dear German shepherd Daboda in their absence, for they had gone on a holiday to the Edmonton region. 

However, on this second week of their absence, my mother Irene Dorosh and her husband Alex had gone on a trip of their own 'back East.'  I was to also now be keeping a check on their home.

They were located just about 4¼ miles in walking distance from where Mark and Jeanette were living.
MONDAY, July 21, 1975

I got up about 8:00 a.m., but yesterday's diet has been avenging itself all night, and I still feel uncomfortably thick in the midsection.

The day looks to be a sunny one.  I shall leave here for my place about 11:20 a.m.

Bill called about 11:00 a.m. from his mother's.

I walked into town and did my usual trite tasks at home, and also penned Jean a note of apology re my inability to send her the 2 books I promised.

On my way to mom's I stopped at K-Mart ─ Econo Mart, I mean ─ and bought 2 types of Granola, a large box of corn flakes, a 3 pt carton ice cream (Cotton Candy or something), and a 3 qt carton of 2% milk.

At mom's I finished off the leftovers; she left me a note, of course.

Seems Georgie phoned; Roxanne and a girlfriend ran away, and might show up hereabouts.  I'm to persuade her to contact Nell.

I mailed Jean's letter on my way back to Mark's.

I shall be in bed by 11:50 p.m.  
I was getting my exercise with all the walking.

After getting the phone call from my old friend William Alan Gill, I walked from Whalley to my room in New Westminster.

The letter I wrote there was to my American pen-pal, Jean Michelle Martin (née Black...or was it the other way around?).  I had promised to send her a couple of books, but at least one of them 'disappeared' after I loaned it to an older friend (Art Smith) to read.  

He claimed to have no idea of its whereabouts.

Then I left my room and walked all the way out to the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey where my mother lived ─ that walk generally took about 1½ hours at a fast pace.

The Econo Mart was located in the Townline shopping plaza at Scott Road (120th Street) & 96th Avenue.  It was a supermarket outlet for a chain that now no longer exists, and has not for years.

I reckon the purchases were to stock up at my mother's home.  After all, once I finished up the leftovers in her fridge, all I would have would be fruit, berries, and vegetables from her backyard garden.  She and Alex even had raspberries and blueberries growing there.  

The note spoke of her sister Georgina (Georgie) Halverson who was living in Calgary.  Her rather wild and unruly daughter Roxanne (Rocky) had run away from home.

Rocky now lives in these parts ─ over by Bear Creek Park here in Surrey; and has been married for many years.  I saw her just last Saturday at the 'Celebration of Life' that was held for our recently deceased cousin Jock (John) Halverson who had died of cancer on July 1st. 

Nell Halverson (Jock's mother) was another sister of my mother's who was then also living in Surrey ─ I was to get Rocky to go there if she came around and contacted me..

Nell and Georgie had married brothers with the family name Halverson, so that would be why there may have seemed some confusion.

And I see that I must forgo my bath ─ it is approaching 8:00 p.m.  I am only going to have time to proofread this, and then publish the post.
Post a Comment