.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Saturday, July 2, 2016

My Cousin Jock Succumbs to Cancer

Very early last evening, after I had published yesterday's post, two people E-mailed me the news of the unfortunate passing of my maternal cousin Jock (John) Halverson.

He had been getting treated for a spreading cancer, but had to enter the hospital on Wednesday due to worsening health; and around 2:30 p.m. yesterday, he was gone.

He was 61 years old, and had not even gotten to officially retire from his job.

This is a photo of him that I took on October 4, 2014 ─ he is the bearded fellow at the right trying to lean out of the frame as my cousin Roxanne and I photographed one another:


And here he is on that same occasion, standing in the background and speaking with his smiling wife Donna:


ºººººººººººººººººººººººººººº

It may have been around 12:23 a.m. last night when I got to bed.  I don't remember my wife Jack coming to bed afterwards, so it may be that I was asleep by then ─ I had on earplugs and a blindfold.

I was up once during the night to use the bathroom, and then when I later checked the time and saw that it was around 8:30 a.m., I rose for the day.

I wanted to make my weekly or so hike for beer and a mickey of white rum.

However, first I needed my morning hot beverage, and I did a little work on the post I commenced Thursday at my Amatsu Okiya website.

I needed to get away before my wife Jack had risen.

I had just finished putting on my boots...when she came sallying out of the bedroom, up for the day.

My hike was awash.

She was ultimately to drive off on errands around 11:00 a.m., but I did not see it as very likely that I would be making my trek.

I undertook some exercising in our backyard shed as I mulled on why my plans so often are demolished ─ this was the third consecutive morning in which I had wanted to get away on that expedition, but have been unable to because Jack overnighted here instead of in Vancouver as she generally has been doing the past few years.

Spending three consecutive nights here is unusual.

When I came back into the house, my younger brother Mark had evidently gone to his room in pursuit of a nap.

I made a very light breakfast/lunch of some fare that Jack had brought home from Mango Thai Restaurant last evening, and while I was upstairs here at my computer enjoying the light repast, I heard my eldest step-son Tho emerge from his sleeping area and go out the front door to his car and drive off somewhere.

His younger brother Pote had gone to work this morning ─ he was gone when I rose this morning.

So only my brother Mark was home.

And that was all the galvanization that I needed to ready myself and undertake that long-delayed trek to the government liquor store two miles distant at 108th Avenue & King George Boulevard here in Whalley.

It was 12:11 p.m. as I set off under a very sunny sky.

This round-trip to buy the two dozen cans of strong (8% alcohol) beer and the mickey of rum takes me about 1½ hours, and today was no different ─ I was back shortly after 1:40 p.m.

The sole event worth mention is the music festival happening at Holland Park over by Surrey Place (Central City) ─ it's apparently called FVDED In The Park, and I have no idea what those initials stand for.

It certainly isn't anything of interest to me at 66 years of age.

Anyway, I got back home to find that Jack had returned, and her eldest son Tho was also home.

I haven't had much opportunity to get this post started, but my chance arrived when Jack got busy with some elaborate supper preparations.

As I type these words, it is 5:44 p.m., and I have no understanding why she seems to have so much free time from the restaurant.

Nor do I know if she will be here all the evening ─ and overnight, too.

She is definitely welcome, for she is in a darned good mood.  I just don't fathom why she has been home so much ─ it is a mystery to me.

By the way, she mentioned that it is quite possible that Mango Thai Restaurant will be sold at the end of the month.

ºººººººººººººººººººººººººººº


For the past several days, I have been featuring warnings from the Organic Consumers Association concerning the very real threat that Monsanto's bought-and-paid-for senators in the U.S. Congress may yet push through legislation that will negate the requirement for food manufacturers to label whether their products contain GMO ingredients.

This would overturn the legislation that came into effect just yesterday in Vermont which made it the law that foods had to have GMO-labeling.

Here is the Organic Consumers Association's latest warning:

This isn't a law. It's a joke.
On Wednesday, July 6, the U.S. Senate will hold a vote on a bill that could undermine everything that's been accomplished so far on the GMO labeling front.

If the Roberts-Stabenow DARK Act passes next week, Vermont's GMO labeling bill, enacted yesterday, will be overturned. Consumers will never get clear labels on GMO foods. The right of states to pass their own food safety and labeling laws will be severely undermined.

In fact, even Vermont's seed labeling law, in existence for the past 12 years, will be wiped out of existence by this grossly offensive piece of legislation.

So much for states being the "laboratories of democracy." What rights will corporations convince our federal lawmakers to take away next?

The bill proposed by Sens. Pat Roberts and Debbie Stabenow is an anti-consumer, pro-Monsanto masterpiece, bought and paid for by some of the greediest, most deceptive corporations in America.

It’s full of loopholes and exemptions.

It allows food companies to “disclose” GMO ingredients using barcode technology and websites, instead of clear words, in plain view, on the package.

It won't kick in for another two years, even though many food companies are already labeling in order to comply with Vermont’s law.

And here’s the best worst part: The Roberts-Stabenow bill gives food companies permission to flaunt the law by ensuring that there will be no penalites, no consequences, if they fail to comply.

That's not a law. It's a joke.

Even the FDA, not known for going out of its way to protect consumers, pointed out what DARK Act opponents have been saying all along—the Roberts-Stabenow GMO “non-labeling” bill would exclude a host of products from ever having to be labeled, including some of the most common GMO ingredients, like soybean oil and GMO sugar beets.

Last week, Roberts and Stabenow got enough votes to move this bill forward. Our job is to make sure that on Wednesday, we have convinced enough Senators to vote against this latest version of the DARK Act.
We are working around the clock this holiday weekend to protect Vermont's law, states' rights and consumers' right to know.

Thankfully, Mercola.com has extended its matching donation offer until midnight tomorrow night. If you haven't pitched in yet, please consider making a donation today. We're still about $15,000 shy of our goal.  Please click here for details on how to donate online, or by phone or mail.

Thank you, and let's keep this bill from passing!
ºººººººººººººººººººººººººººº

A new study has found ─ and this certainly stands to reason ─ that a strong immune system actually protects against the conditions leading to heart-attack:

It's the ULTIMATE secret to an ironclad heart -- and odds are, you won't hear boo about it from your doctor!

He's too busy harping on cholesterol and blood pressure. Heck, he'll nag you to death about that nonsense... and never once will he mention your immune system in the same breath as heart health.

Well, my friend, new research reveals the truth: Your immune system does so much more than protect you from nasty germs.

The same antibodies that sock out viral invaders and bacterial threats are also standing guard around your heart, protecting you from a potentially deadly heart attack.

The more you have, the bigger the lift.

And if you're rich in immunoglobulin G -- a.k.a. IgG -- you'll get souped-up protection against a heart attack, regardless of whatever other risk factors you might have, according to the study of more than 19,000 patients at risk of heart attack.

Clearly, docs should be focused on helping you keep your immune system razor sharp (for so many reasons, not just this).

Instead, they'll nag you about cholesterol until your ears bleed.

Ready for the great irony here? LDL cholesterol (the so-called "bad" cholesterol) plays a critical role in your immune system -- and when you follow your doctor's orders and cut those levels, you're actually CRIPPLING your own immune system.

As the new study shows, that could set the stage for a deadly heart attack -- and that's one reason for that study I shared earlier this week, which found seniors with HIGH cholesterol are less likely to die of heart problems than older folks with LOW cholesterol.

The researchers behind the new study say maybe it's time to test for IgG to see who might be at risk of a heart attack.

I've got a better idea, because instead of just SEEING if you're at risk, you can actually DO something about it.

You can boost your immune system and raise your antibody levels naturally -- and you can start with some zinc.

Zinc plays a key role in your immune system, including IgG antibodies, which is why seniors who have the right levels of this essential mineral have a lower risk of cold, flu, and more.

Yet many seniors don't get nearly enough.

You don't need too much so don't start gobbling zinc tablets willy-nilly. But make sure you're getting what you need each day -- and that starts with a quality multivitamin that includes minerals.

Your doc can even run a quick test to see where you stand.

For more on zinc and what happens when you fall even just a little bit short, read this free report from the Daily Dose archives.

Tuning your immune system....

And here are a couple of other reports about the study:



ºººººººººººººººººººººººººººº

Well, it is now 6:21 p.m., and my wife Jack is still home.

To close with, I'm going to try and cram in an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping room in New Westminster.

The house I was renting the room in was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

The previous week, my father Hector and his girlfriend Maria Fadden had invited me to their apartment in Burnaby for a beef-heart stew.  Evidently this was to be that day.
WEDNESDAY, July 2, 1975

I arose at 5:30 a.m.

I was first at the laundromat this clouded morning, but 4 others had come before I finished.

I cashed my cheque (saw Gordie on the way), bought a $12.50 money order, then on my way to Safeway (saw Vern), I was recognized in front of the liquor store by the dark drunk who frequents S.A.N.E.; I spent some while listening to him.

My groceries came to $4.74:  2 large loaves of bread, cooking oil, stewing chicken, beets, mushrooms, and a Tony Orlando and Dawn TV Guide.  

I was going to pay my rent next, but tho people were upstairs, the landlady's car was gone.  So I deposited my film in the pharmacy by Woodward's and bought a new one, then heading the long way to dad's, I bought a stewing chicken at Safeway.

I arrived just in time to leave with him via bus ─ his treat ─ for the Kingsgate liquor store.

We returned with Calona white wine and a case of 50 Ale; I had 3 shots of wine and 2 beers.

He paid me $5 for 2 shares in 2 Olympic tickets.

They were somewhat hung over, so did not begin the beef heart stew till late.  I don't believe it was ready till 6:00 p.m. or 5:00 p.m.; like a fool, I overate, 4 plates.

I was forced to lie down, and they did eke.

I didn't leave till the 10:00 o'clock news was on.

I got some easy running in, flushing myself so I could pay my rent, which I did not too long past 11:00 p.m.

Bed by 12:25 a.m.  
I only worked a day per week at a New Westminster charitable organization called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends).

I had no bank account of my own, so I cashed my cheques at the bank where the payor account was held ─ a Royal Bank branch located on Columbia Street in New Westminster.

I can't say that I remember any "Gordie" nor a "Vern," so I certainly have no memory of "the dark drunk who frequents S.A.N.E."

Heck, I'm unsure even where the laundromat I regularly visited was located.

That sounds like a pretty good haul of groceries from Safeway for $4.74!

The TV Guide was one featuring Tony Orlando and Dawn on the cover ─ I didn't mind that variety show.


As for what was the long way to where my father lived, I now cannot say ─ I don't even remember visiting him where he lived on Sunset Street, roughly midway between Boundary Road and the Burnaby Hospital as this Google map shows.

It is quite possible that I extended the trip by hiking all the way out to and around the far side of Burnaby Lake ─ I was well known for my walking in my youth.

My father was just about to bus to a liquor store at the Kingsgate Mall in the Mount Pleasant area of Vancouver, so he had me come with him for the company.  

I see that Calona Vineyards is still in business.  

The beer was probably Labatt 50 Ale.

When we got back to the apartment, my father and Maria decided to buy in on a couple of Olympic Lottery tickets ─ one I had recently bought in conjunction with my mother Irene Dorosh had won us $100. 

I did not regularly have all that much to eat, so when the opportunity to eat abundantly was present, I would fall victim to gluttony.

I would eat to incapacitation, and need to repose until I was abler.  My father and Maria probably just needed more sleep, for when they were drinking, they generally did so for much of the night.  They were hungover, after all.

If I managed to hoof it all the way back to my room in under an hour, I must indeed have jogged much of the trip back ─ it was a long haul.

But it would have been the direct route home, I am sure ─ not "the long way."
Post a Comment