.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Friday, July 15, 2016

Tips on Reducing High Blood-Pressure │ 70% of Seniors Found to Be on High Blood-Pressure Medication Needlessly │ Mediterranean Diet (with Pasta) Does Not Contribute to Weight Gain

It was good to make it to bed well before midnight last night ─ I broke a stretch of several nights whereby I had remained up past that key hour.

However, there came that first wakeful break in sleep that saw me avail myself of the bathroom around 4:38 a.m., and broken sleep ensued thereafter.

It was 7:07 a.m. when I checked the time and decided to rise for the day.

I found that we had enjoyed a little rain overnight.

My youngest step-son Pote was not yet up, but he anon rose; and by 8:20 a.m. he was out the front door and on his way to catch his bus to work.

I was home alone ─ my first full day alone this week.

I devoted myself to completing and publishing the post that I began last weekend at my website Lawless Spirit.

My morning had nearly entirely elapsed before I was done, and I had grown agitated at the time and effort that it was requiring.

But it is finished and now published:  Holistic Social Care II.


The day has been primarily clouded, but I did go out into the backyard and sat in a chair facing towards where the Sun was supposed to be ─ beginning at 1:43 p.m., I put in just over half-an-hour.

I experienced barely any sunshine.

After the long hot months of Sun that we had last year beginning early in the Spring, current weather conditions are hard to understand.  It's been at least a couple of weeks since I was able to sunbathe on the sundeck.

↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨

I haven't a clue what my blood-pressure might be; and consequently, I don't much think about or worry over it.

However, for those of you who believe yours is too high, this report from NewMarketHalth.com might be of value to you:
If your doctor is on your back about your blood pressure numbers, here's a way to "come to grips" with it.

Literally.

Researchers have found that using one of those hand grips (the kind where you squeeze the handles together) for 12-15 minutes a day in two-minute intervals, done three times a week, can reduce your blood pressure by about 10 percent.

According to the AARP, this amazing, no-drug way to lower blood pressure was presented in a "landmark" paper published in 2013 in the American Heart Association journal Hypertension.

The study, on how exercise can help lower blood pressure, found "some of the most impressive improvements" resulted from four weeks of squeezing a hand-grip.

Just think -- if Big Pharma finds out there is something that can substantially reduce your blood-pressure readings that can be found in any sporting goods store for a minimal cost, it might just spontaneously combust!

But hand-grip exercises aren't the only things that offer an easy, safe way to bring those blood-pressure readings down.

Another method you might try (which costs absolutely nothing) is deep breathing exercises. According to the AARP, slowing your breathing down to about six breaths in 30 seconds can reduce your more important "top number" -- that is, your systolic reading -- by around three points.

There's also a natural substance that, when taken regularly in supplement form, might lower those blood-pressure numbers by another 10 percent. It's garlic extract, which, as I told you back in January, also was shown to reverse hardening of the arteries and slow the accumulation of arterial plaque by 80 percent in a UCLA Medical Center study.

So before you let your doctor put you on one or more prescription blood pressure meds -- drugs that can turn your life upside down with all the side effects they come along with -- you might want to try some of these simple, drug-free techniques first.
I confess that I don't exactly understand the description given on using those grip-strengtheners.

If a person is using the grippers for 12-15 minutes a day, three days each week, then does that mean that on the day in which a person is using the devices, the squeezing only has to be done for a space of two minutes at any one time, with as long a break between those two-minute sessions during the day as one likes?

And if each session is for two minutes, then how does one rack up 15 minutes?  Does that mean that one session would have to be for three minutes?...or can a person just top the day's two-minute sessions off with a one-minute session?

The advice at AARP isn't much clearer:
Squeeze the gripper for 2 minutes at a time, for a total of 12 to 15 minutes, three times a week.
I expect that achievement of the "12 to 15 minutes" can be marked by sessions as wide-spread as one likes over the course of the designated day.

But that odd minute still throws me!


↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨

Here is another report concerning high blood-pressure and the medications used to try and bring it under control:

You're taking meds until you're ready to choke... swallowing pill after pill after pill.

And every time you feel yourself ready to gag you ask yourself the same question: Do I really need all these darn pills???

The answer, my friend, is NO!

But you don't have to take my word for it. The latest MAINSTREAM research finds that millions of seniors are taking blood pressure meds that they absolutely under no circumstances do not need.

These are folks just like you. Heck, you might even be one of them!

One day, your doc says your BP is too high and gives you a warning about stroke -- a warning you could drop dead on the spot or spend the rest of your life as a cripple if you survive -- so of course you follow his orders and take the pills.

With a sales pitch like that, how can you not?

But the new study finds he's pushing you into a shotgun wedding... a lifetime commitment whether you want it or not.

'Til death do you part!

Even when BP levels drop so low there's no reason to take the meds, you're are expected to keep at it. It's gotten so absurd that 70 PERCENT of older folks who no longer need the meds are on them anyway, according to the new study.

These aren't borderline cases. These aren't cases where the drugs are needed to bring "high" blood pressure down into the mainstream's normal zone.

These are cases where BP levels have absolutely plunged, with systolic (the "top number") readings below 100.

That's lower than an athlete!

Yet instead of quitting the BP meds... instead of giving patients ONE LESS pill to gag on... docs shrug and leave them on the drugs.

It's lazy medicine at its worst, and it could do more than just cause you to choke on meds.

It could HURT you or even send you straight into a nursing home, because blood pressure meds come with dizzying side effects. Seniors who take them have a higher risk of falls, and any fall in old age could turn into permanent disability.

Obviously, if you're on these meds, it's time to ask your doc for help getting off -- especially if your BP is low.

But even if it's high... even if you're in the "stage 1 hypertension" range... you STILL may not need the drugs!

The dirty secret of modern medicine is that these drugs do little to save lives and improve outcomes in most seniors, and I've got the ugly truth your own doctor doesn't want you to see right here.

If you think you don't need them... but he's not willing to work with you... don't take matters into your own hands.

Get a second opinion, ideally from an experienced naturopathic physician.

Keeping up the pressure....
This is the study, but only the abstract is available for free to the general public:  Older people remain on blood pressure agents despite being hypotensive resulting in increased mortality and hospital admission (doi: 10.1093/ageing/afw120).

If you want badly enough to see the full study, you ought to be able to search it out at Sci-Hub.ac ─ I found it as a six-page .pdf document.

And here is one other report about the study:


↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨

This next report is responding to a study that found a true Mediterranean diet that includes pasta does not contribute to weight gain:

No, it's not OK to eat pasta
Pasta is... healthy???

I know all the headlines over the past week have claimed spaghetti is good for you and that it's even the perfect way to help drop a few pounds.

But this study is perfect in another way.

It's perfectly bogus!

This wasn't a study of Americans eating like they do in Olive Garden commercials. There were no "bottomless bowls," no breadsticks, and no heaping piles of sugary and starchy sauces served on top.

No, my friend, this study was done out of Italy -- where they no doubt want to keep exporting pasta by the ton for YOU to eat mountains of.

But that's not even close to how they eat it over there.

They don't pig out on pasta. They might eat more overall, but that's because it's often a side dish at their meals -- a little bit to go along with the REAL headliners of their meals: fatty fish... mussels... lamb... and more.

And let's not forget the bottle of wine that's always on the table.

That's still more pasta than anyone should be eating, but the smaller amounts per meal and generally healthier diet overall helps make sure that Italians who follow this traditional lifestyle aren't shaped like meatballs.

That's the REAL reason the folks who ate less pasta in the study weighed more: They had traded their traditional diet for one closer to ours.

Yes, they were "westernized."

Out with the meats, mussels, pasta, and wine... and in with the cheeseburgers and soda pop.

One study last year found that a quarter of Italians -- including nearly a third of younger folks -- have abandoned the Mediterranean lifestyle for a Western one.

And while only 1 in 10 Italians are obese -- compared to a third of Americans -- a third of their children are now overweight or obese.

That's no buono.

So don't read too much into this study. All it really proves is what we already know: Sticking to the Mediterranean diet keeps people thin.

If you were raised that way, it's easy enough to follow.

But if you weren't, switching to this diet will give you some culture shock without the travel -- because it forces you to cut back on many of the foods you love, especially red meats. Plus, you end up eating a lot of weeds and bunny chow.

Who needs it? Not you!

There's a much easier way to get thin and healthy at the same time -- and that's to make the switch to a low-carb, high-fat diet.

Yes, that means pasta is out, along with bread and potatoes and all the other blood-sugar bombs.

But in return, you get red meat, pork, chicken, and all the delicious natural fats you love so much.

Ready to get started? I've got everything you need to know in this free report from my Daily Dose archives.

Using my noodle....

And here are a couple of other reports about the study:



↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨

Here now is an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

My room was being rented in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

However, I spent the previous night at the home of my younger brother Mark ─ he and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther had gone for a week or so to the Edmonton area, and they needed me to tend to their German shepherd Daboda in their absence.

At the time, Mark and Jeanette were renting a home together that was located on Bentley Road in Whalley.  The house is now gone, but it was situated very near to 108th Avenue & King George Highway ─ it was actually in behind an elementary school that has also long since been demolished.
TUESDAY, July 15, 1975

I forced myself to remain in bed till past 8:00 a.m., quelling an urge to arise just after 6:00 a.m.

It is very comfortable here at Mark's.

It's cloudy now, but after noon is to sun up.

I left here for home amid the voiced distress of Daboda.

I expected to find my $50 cheque as I arrived at noon, but no.  I waited till past 1:00 p.m., never hearing any sound upstairs.  Perhaps it came but the landlady was out.

I just now noticed today is the 13th, and not the 15th as I've been assuming.

Or so I thought!  A check revealed my former surmisal to be founded.  So my cheque probably came.

I left, as said, and set out for mom's, noticing and catching Bill at his door as he returned from Wong's. 

He said he did go to work Sunday night.  I will walk to his place Saturday for our feed. 

I got to mom's nearly 3:00 p.m.  In the mail was a $5 tithe receipt, and my Western and an Olympic lottery ticket.

And though I ate myself quite full, she had me stay for a fast, light supper.  It was after 5:00 p.m. when I set out for Mark's with my signed welfare declaration.

I've seen a few desirable young girls loose on the streets this by now warm, sunny day.

Whatever, after getting home here at Bentley Road, I loosed Daboda about 6:25 p.m., hoping to have him resecured by 7:00 p.m. so as not to disrupt my TV viewing.

He was no problem.

Lately I've been eating excessively.

I should be in bed by 11:40 p.m.
I felt bad reading about Daboda calling out to me as I left to hike back into New Westminster!

He loved to be able to go for runs and long walks, for otherwise he was chained up close to the front door steps for many hours at a stretch.

I posted this photo of him yesterday ─ the front door steps were just to the left in the photo.  Daboda would react like this anytime his loved ones arrived home...or were about to leave, and saying good-by:


I loved that bundle of energy; and he was to prove a priceless walking companion for me in ensuing years.

I was working just one day a week through an employment incentive programme that was in place between New Westminster social services and my employer.

In order to get paid, I had to submit a monthly declaration to social services, and they would pay me whatever the going rate was for a single person on social assistance; plus I would get a separate cheque for having worked.

But was it truly a mere $50 a month?  I now no longer recall.

Regardless, I was to hike to my room in New Westminster for naught.  I had no mail awaiting me in the special receptacle for it that my landlady had for me in the basement.

Just as I started my hike out to visit my mother Irene Dorosh (whose home was my main mailing address), I engaged my old friend William Alan Gill ─ he had been to Wong's convenience store on Sixth Street.

He was then working a shift at Royal City Foods ─ a cannery that used to be in New Westminster on the shore of the Fraser River, just downstream from the Pattullo Bridge ─ that started at 2:00 a.m.

After he finished work on Sunday, he had wanted us to go drinking with Mark and Jeanette, for he had a case of beer that he had stashed at my room.

The four of us drank it all...and then Bill insisted that we all go to Blaine, Washington, to drink there.

So Jeanette drove his car, and there we went.  We ended up buying four dozen beers and driving around the countryside until we had finished all of them, and then came back to Canada.

By the time Bill got himself and me back into New Westminster, it was already just about 2:00 a.m.

The poor soul ended up working all night in that cannery without having had any sleep after his previous shift there ─ and he was full of beer, to boot!

Anyway, after talking with him and settling that we would dine together at our favourite smorgasbord on the coming weekend, I hiked on out to my mother's home in the Kennedy Heights area  of Surrey.  Her little home no longer exists, either, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue. 

The only mail I had there were a $5 tithe receipt from the Worldwide Church of God, and a ticket each on the Western and the Olympic Lotteries.

After a couple of meals there, I finally made the hike over to Daboda ─ that would have been a further walk of about 4½ miles.

I was a heavy walker in my earlier life!

I let Daboda loose unattended for something like a half-hour without any incident, and then went back outside and chained him up again.  

I guess that was the only freedom the poor dear had enjoyed since at least two days earlier ─ unless I had loosed him just the previous day for awhile, too.  But I never mentioned doing so in that day's journal entry.

Reading and reflecting back on how much time he spent chained up and all alone really does make me feel bad today.  As I said, I loved that courageous, activity-loving pooch.
Post a Comment