.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Zince Officially Proven to Be Effective in Defeating the Common Cold

A 'Celebration of Life' is being held today for my cousin Jock (John) Halverson who died on July 1st of cancer.

It's scheduled to span 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ─ folks can come anytime within that time-frame, and leave whenever they like.  It is not some long, formal service.

In fact, instructions are to not bring flowers; and it is to be a 'pot luck' affair.

People are also asked to bring lawn chairs if the weather permits sitting outside in the backyard.

Consequently, today's post is going to be very brief.

Cousin Jock is the bearded gent in each of the following two photos:



▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

It can no longer be refuted ─ zinc has been proven to be effective in coping with the common cold:

Someone at the FTC needs to be fired, and stat.

Heck, maybe EVERYONE at the agency should be handed pink slips and we can start over with a new team of folks who actually care about consumers instead of protecting big corporate interests.

God knows, the clowns in there now sure don't.

Just a couple years back, the agency came down like a sack of bricks on the makers of zinc-based cold remedies, handing out fines and trying to put those little companies out of business.

Today, a new study PROVES beyond all doubt that those remedies not only work, but work so well we can finally say...

There IS a cure for the common cold!

Zinc not only helps you feel better faster, it works in just about everyone -- across age groups, racial barriers, and gender lines (however many genders they think we have these days).

Overall, zinc lozenges will shave nearly THREE DAYS off the average cold, according to the study.

If that's not a cure, I don't know what is.

Yet you can bet those companies that were fined won't get their money back... and they're not going to get an apology letter from the FTC.

So forget the feds and go with the science -- because the science says zinc works best if you take it at the first sign of sniffles and keep taking the stuff until you're feeling better.

There is a trick to using zinc -- and it's an important one.

You can't just take a little bit and consider yourself covered... and you can't just gobble a high-dose supplement, either, since a little too much zinc can lead to embarrassing gas and a desperate dash for the toilet.

So here's the key: Take low doses repeatedly throughout the day. That's why zinc lozenges are so effective -- because they deliver the zinc slowly, as they melt, a little at a time.

The new study says you should aim for the century mark, 100 mg per day, but you may not even have to go that far -- because other studies have found you can cut down your cold with just 75 mg per day.

And for the BEST protection, make sure you're getting enough fish oil and vitamins C and D -- powerful immune-boosters that can slash your risk of getting the cold or even the flu in the first place.

Putting some heat on the cold....
Here is the study, but it appears that you need to select the .pdf opition in order to see the whole study and not just its abstract:  Zinc acetate lozenges for treating the common cold: an individual patient data meta-analysis (DOI: 10.1111/bcp.13057).

And here is another brief report on it:


▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I am closing now with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting my room in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.  However, I was sleeping this week at the rented home of my younger brother Mark ─ he and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther had gone on vacation to the Edmonton area, and needed me to tend to their German shepherd, Daboda, in their absence.

Their home was in Whalley ─ on Bentley Road, very near to 108th Avenue & King George Highway. 
WEDNESDAY, July 16, 1975

I got up this time and checked the radio clock to find it 7:13 a.m.; and I did try hard to sleep in.

The morning is pretty cloudy.

Cathy's unemployment cheque came, so as requested, I shall mail her the "form card" so she can fill it out and send it back to me to post at the appointed time.

I walked to town, picked up my cheque, and cashed it. 

I bought a tan net body shirt ($1.53) at Army & Navy, then on my way to the post office (where I bought a $4 money order for 2 Greenpeace lottery tickets), I met and exchanged a few sentences with Gordie.

I also bought a Barney Miller TV Guide.

After returning to my place, I next set off for dad's.

There, I had a chicken stew meal, and saved some bones for Daboda.  I got there about 2:30 p.m. and left at 4:30 p.m., hoping to get to Mark's by 6:30 p.m. so I could let Daboda loose a bit before 7:00 p.m.; I loosed him at 6:30 p.m. exactly.

And got him resecured before 7:00 p.m.

During this time, I conversed with the neighbour here who was collecting Mark's raspberries.

I don't think I've ever in my life footed so much; I had to do some running on the King George to make it here by 6:30 p.m.

Bedtime about 11:50 p.m.
When I "walked to town" that morning, I was referring to New Westminster.

I went to my room where I found my waiting cheque, then hiked down to a bank on Columbia Street to cash it. 

The Army & Navy department store is still there on Columbia Street and in business.

I'm afraid that I cannot claim to remember "Gordie" any longer.

This would have been the TV Guide I bought:


Now let's get some understanding of my walk thereafter.

My father Hector and his girlfriend Maria Fadden were living in an apartment building located on Sunset Street, and were roughly midway between Boundary Road and the Burnaby Hospital as this Google map should show (nearly in the centre).

So to recap, after walking from Whalley to New Westminster where I then walked around town tending to some errands, I next walked all the way out to my father's apartment from New Westminster.

Then after about two hours once I had eaten with my father and Maria, I hiked all the way back to Whalley.  If I got back to Whalley in two hours, then I was definitely moving at a good pace. 

But poor Daboda!

I'm getting all that exercise, and the sad pooch is chained up and alone for nearly a day a a time ─ it was around the same time in the early evening that I had let him loose for a half-hour or so the previous day.

I don't remember there being raspberries growing at the house.  Interesting.

I would love to comment more, but it is already after 10:00 a.m.  I have to proofread this and then publish it.
Post a Comment