.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

America's Partial Ban of Triclosan (and Some Other Chemicals) │ Vitamin D Proven to Reduce Asthma Attacks

My wife Jack arrived home yesterday around 4:50 p.m. or so, and she was here to spend the night.

She even watched Gotham at 8:00 p.m. with my younger brother Mark and I.  She surprised and delighted me some months ago by recognizing the actor who played young Bruce Wayne as being the bushy-haired autistic kid on Touch.

But equally surprising was that she had no idea that in Gotham, he was playing someone who would one day become Batman.

Last evening was an extremely rare occasion ─ Jack went to bed quite early, and when I joined her there, it was just 11:35 p.m.

I think that it was something like 5:25 a.m. when I first checked the time overnight and took a bathroom break.

And it was 8:28 a.m.or so when I again checked it and decided to rise for the day.

I had been in bed unusually long ─ probably because of how few hours I got there the night before.

I managed to get some work done on the post I began yesterday at my Amatsu Okiya website, but I suspended anything further once Jack got up.  The poor girl had not slept as well as I, and it was even apparent that she had been up during the night at some point and had been sitting here using my computer.

She should probably retire with earplugs like I usually do, but she has declined to do so.

She went out and did some shopping late in the morning, but was not gone too very long.  However, I was not here alone ─ Pote had the day off, and his girlfriend had been here with him overnight and thus was here too.

A package had recently come for Jack that turned out to be complexion medication from Rodan + Fields.  Jack had been getting monthly shipments of this stuff for several months earlier in the year, but she had cancelled the subscription ─ each shipment was over $200.

Both of her sons are employed, so they can afford to procure their own complexion products.

I understand that Jack became involved in this subscription ─ maybe late last year ─ through a friend of hers who must have been one of their so-called 'consultants.'  At any rate, she had begun the orders through him.

She got him to stop the shipments early this year after one showed up that she did not want to have to pay for again, but reluctantly did.

Her friend said he subsequently cancelled the shipments, and for a few months none had come.

Then this one showed up on Friday.

I referred online to our credit card that was used to pay for the subscription, and saw that the full charge was $211.13.

So Jack determined that we would ship it back.  They claim that they will refund the price of the product, but not shipping & handling charges.

Well, there was a 'Return Authorization Form' in the package ─ it was actually on the reverse of the invoice, and somewhat resembled this online printable version.

Her shipment had a  packaged set of three items, plus one further item.

So we listed the two, but could not list the item price ─ I could only list what we were charged on the credit card, and indicated that was what the figure represented.

The invoice did not include a price ─ and neither did the shipping label.

Of course, the items have a price attached to them online, but those are American dollars.  And if you look at the 'Return Authorization Form' that I linked to, it says to return the product(s) to Dallas, Texas.

Well, our form in the box said to return the shipment to Calgary, Alberta.

I was unaware that the U.S. website could easily be switched over to the Canadian website before we had everything packed up and Jack's youngest son Pote had taken it off to get it mailed away.

I tallied the price of the three-pack product and the extra item that is clearly part-and-parcel of the same regimen ─ these are definitely what Jack had received ─ and I now see that they together cost $207 Canadian.

Will the handlers at Calgary be able to figure all of this out and bother themselves to refund that figure?

I guess time will tell.

But the actual cost of the product should have been indicated in the parcel we received.  We have never been to the website, so I stupidly just assumed that it was entirely American ─ I did not realize that it had a Canadian option to switch it over.   

It sure isn't like we ordered the product ourselves.

But enough of all of that.

Had not Jack been here today, I would have gotten in some further time sitting out in the backyard this afternoon in an effort to soak up some sunshine ─ it has been mainly sunny.

Jack finally left around 3:40 p.m. this afternoon to return to Vancouver, and I commenced work on this post.

╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬

Why is industry so adamant about continuing to flood us and the environment with products containing antibacterial chemicals?

We don't need them.  And we're all getting 'screwed up' by their effects upon us ─ even if most of us do not realize that the effects are there.

In the States, the FDA recently banned triclosan and a number of other chemicals, but the ban is not outright.

What annoys me is that so many products here in Canada hardly list any ingredients ─ for example, most toothpastes only list one or two ingredients, and there are clearly far more ingredients to a toothpaste than just one or two chemicals.

We should not be subjected to anything that can interfere with our hormones ─ anything like that has no business whatsoever being in a consumer product.

But concerning that FDA decision, you can read about it in these reports:



TIME

These two comprehensive reports at Mercola.com give further background on the chemicals we're all being threatened by:



It galls me no end when industry spokespeople step forth and declare that there is no evidence their toxic additions to their products cause harm, and that something as simple as plain soap cannot be just as effective as an antibacterial soap at cleaning hands.

🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The reports on the benefits of vitamin D keep rolling in!

Asthmatics should practically rejoice at one of the latest studies ─ it found (among other things) that vitamin D supplementation along with regular asthma medication cut in half the number of attacks in adults that were severe enough to require medical treatment.

See these reports on the study:

theguardian

MailOnline


This final report is more proactive than the others, going a few steps further on this important topic:


The folks in the study only took between 25 - 50 microgrammes daily ─ if I am doing a conversion properly, that equates to 1,000 - 2,000 I.U.s.

I take 2,000 I.U.s daily and I don't even have asthma!  If I did, then I would consider even doubling that figure.

╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬

My afternoon has just about expired, so I had better close off now with a 41-yar-old entry from my journal, back when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The house I was renting the small unit in was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

The evening before this specific entry, I had gone to bed at 9:00 p.m.  My plan for the next day was to hike on out to my mother Irene Dorosh's home in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey.

The house no longer exists, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue; it was my main mailing address.

If I had hiked directly there, it would have taken about 1½ hours of fairly fast walking.  But I wanted to acquire far more exercise than that, so I had a far more ambitious route in mind.
SATURDAY, September 27, 1975

I arose at 3:45 a.m.

I am leaving for a mail check at 5:30 a.m.

I dropped off the Perfect Pretenders perfume for Cathy, and continued my walk to Newton Road; I followed along it to the Salvation Army, turning up there and working toward Hunt; then from Hunt to Scott and on to mom's.

Alex was just climbing into the car (I later learned he was bound for Buy-Low, then town).

It had taken me over 3½ hours to arrive.

All 3 kids were there (Phyllis took off for Hawaii).  So was a postal ad and Howard's A Witch Shall Be Born.

I had already fed on apples coming, so here I ate some peaches and prunes.

I left shortly after 10:00 a.m.; mom suggested I remain and breakfast, as Cathy phoned while I was gathering fruit, and they were coming for the kids.

They passed me on their way to mom's on Sandell, before Safeway, not noticing me on the opposite side of the road.

I walked to Buy-Low and bought Magic skim-milk powder ($2.99).

I finally got home shortly past noon.

Bill had left a note scribbled on my door saying he was here at 10:30 a.m., and would return later after dealing with his mother.

My imminent feed of pancakes & peanut butter was surprisingly stuffing.

Bill came about 3:45 p.m.; something later, after I'd gotten ready to leave, came knocking; we  headed as if on our coincidental way, answering the door; David.

During the moments of talk, we learned as of Oct. 27 or so, he will be off welfare and on a burnt-out pension ─ for life.  

He had been returning from the laundromat and noticed Bill's parked car.

We drove him home, and set for Mark's.

He was labouring on the car, and Bill spent much time assisting.

A few hours later, Cathy took Bill's car and picked up her friend Cathy, bringing her home.

I watched TV.

This continued till dusk when the mechanics went for Kentucky chicken.

Brought back, Mark again repaired and I stayed with the TV while all else ate.

When Mark quit, all but me played cards.  This, pretty well till late when Cathy took Cathy home.

She stayed away a couple hours, so Bill and I were stuck.

She came back in a high mood, but instead of getting to leave, she pressured Bill into staying.

All told, I had perhaps 5 beer, including one of Mark's awful homemade bottles.

Cathy kept up a lengthy stretch of arguing and bickering, and finally Bill & I left.

I got to bed at 4:30 a.m.    
Let's start with that walk.

The perfume I left for "Cathy" were small knock-off samplers of 'big name' fragrances ─ I had mail-ordered the collection for her birthday.  However, it had arrived late ─ her birthday had been September 22.  Fortunately, I had given her a couple of other presents that I had also mail-ordered for her.

She ─ Catherine Jeanette Gunther ─ and my brother Mark were sharing a rented home on Bentley Road in Whalley.  The house wasn't too far at all from 108th Avenue & King George Highway.

So as I hiked along the King George, I would have left the perfume on the doorstep for them to discover later in the morning.

I continued on to 72nd Avenue (Newton Road) in Newton, and from there turned right onto it and trekked along until I reached what was then a church for the Salvation Army at the corner of 72nd Avenue & 124th Street.  Today, that spot is identified as the BC Muslim Association (Surrey/Delta) on that Google map I have linked to. 

I must have then turned right onto 124th Street and worked my way to 80th Avenue (Hunt Road), then turned left on it and followed it to Scott Road (120th Street).

As said earlier, my mother lived on 90th Avenue ─ just several houses along the right-hand side as one proceeded down it from its Surrey terminus at Holt Road

Alex was my mother's husband.  He was about to leave to do some shopping at an outlet of the Buy-Low supermarket chain, and then apparently head on in to Vancouver (unless by "town" I meant New Westminster).

The three kids who were in the house were Jeanette's two little girls, and my older maternal half-sister Phyllis's daughter Sherry.

My mail consisted of a notice from the post office for a commemorative stamp issue, and a Robert E. Howard book that I had mail-ordered from Donald M. Grant.  It would have been a hardcover book, but I have since parted with it many years ago.

I had foraged for apples during my earlier hike; and now I made my way out to the backyard where my mother had some fruit trees and other bounty.

I cannot say now why I declined to hang about for breakfast ─ I certainly could not have rested up much at all if I left my room at 5:30 a.m. and it had taken me past 9:00 a.m. to arrive at my mother's home.  It sounds like I was there but roughly an hour.

After leaving, I was walking along 128th Street (Sandell Road) ─ I must have hiked to it from 90th Avenue, and then turned left onto it.  But there is no longer a Safeway anywhere along that stretch of 128th Street, and I cannot remember one, so I do not know where I was passed by the car containing Mark and Jeanette heading to my mother's home ─ both Mark and Jeanette were oblivious to me.

I suppose that it was the Buy-Low in Whalley's Dell Shopping Centre that I shopped at.

Anyway, I made it to my room a little past noon, finding the note from my old friend William Alan Gill ─ he had a bachelor suite fairly nearby my room there in New Westminster.

I made myself a big feed of pancakes, and Bill was later to return after mid-afternoon.  

I guess we planned on visiting Mark and Jeanette; just as we were about to leave, my old friend Philip David Prince ─ who also lived in his own room in New Westminster ─ came calling. 

If David was to get a disability pension through CPP, this is the first realization I have about it ─ I must have forgotten about it long, long ago.  Or maybe he failed to qualify, and he was merely expressing hope of getting the pension?

Once Bill and I got to Mark & Jeanette's home, it sounds like I was first bored and then I began feeling excluded.  My impression is that I never participated in the eating of the Kentucky fried chicken ─ I had not contributed, and I maybe needed to be coaxed to join in.

But I never got the level of coaxing I required.    

The entire evening sounds as if I was feeling left out, and it was getting later and later.  I must have had some conviviality, though, if I managed to have five beers.

Poor Jeanette and Mark sure had their share of spats.

It probably wasn't why Bill and I finally left, though ─ it sounds like it was darned late, if I was not to get to bed until 4:30 a.m.
Post a Comment