.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Jane Goodall Petition on Ending Wildlife Trafficking │ Melatonin Proven to Suppress Breast Cancer Cell Growth

Last night was the third consecutive evening in which I barely got myself to bed ahead of midnight.

My younger brother Mark was passed out in his chair in front of the T.V.  The absurdity of this is that he declared around 10:30 p.m. that I was to tune in whatever I wanted on T.V. because he was soon to go to bed.

Yeah, right.  He was unconscious soon after that statement.

My break in initial solid sleep may have arrived before it was yet 3:00 a.m., which is too ridiculously soon.  I only sleep intermittently after that bathroom opportunity, so it is preferable that I manage around four hours before the interruption.

And my morning commenced when I checked the time at 7:18 a.m.

My youngest step-son Pote was up ─ he would be leaving shortly after 10:00 a.m. to catch his bus to take him to work.

I was surprised to hear Mark stirring about in his bedroom ahead of 9:00 a.m. ─ he generally tries to remain in bed until at least 10:00 a.m. Saturday mornings.

The day has been a blend of Sun and cloud, and it would have been a good one in which to have experienced a good hike.  However, I was determined to complete the post I've been working on and get it published at my Thai-Iceland website.

That was accomplished:  Iceland Dubai Web.


I even managed to lay the foundations of what will be a near-entire edit of an old post at my website My Retirement Dream.  When I visited the old post, I found that it only contained a small image and a YouTube video ─ that is no longer satisfactory for me.

So I will be spending a few days putting content into it.

Anyway, when all of this website activity was finished, I was pretty much drained.  I even considered returning to bed, since I knew there was no chance I would be going on any good long walk  now that the early afternoon had arrived.

Mark had left after getting a nap, and likely won't be home until tomorrow morning ─ he generally spends Saturday nights at the residence of his girlfriend Bev.

I finally decided to take advantage of the mix of Sun and cloud, and at 2:03 p.m. I began just over 40 minutes of sitting out in the backyard in a chair; I wore only cut-offs, and sat facing towards the Sun.

I must avail myself of the Sun's colouring benefits while the opportunity is there ─ my face pales all too rapidly.  And although pale may be my natural look, it is not a good one ─ it never has been (except perhaps when I was a child).

Anyway, if Mark does indeed stay away until tomorrow morning as I expect he will, then I shall be enjoying T.V. and my drinks in the living room this evening all by myself.

I received an E-mail this morning that convinced me to sign yet another petition ─ this one is being fronted by Jane Goodall:

My name is Jane Goodall and today is the day you can help choose the fate, for better or for worse, of our world. I have spent my life living with and understanding animals. I have learned the value of their remarkable capacity for emotions, empathy and intelligence and then shared my discoveries with you all. Right now, what makes our world so precious - these very creatures - is in great danger.

Tens of thousands of great apes, elephants, tigers, sharks, and other incredible animals are being slaughtered for the wildlife trade every year. At the Jane Goodall Institute, my colleagues and I work every single day to end wildlife trafficking, but we cannot do it alone. We need someone like you, who truly cares about their suffering and the cost of wildlife trafficking, to help us.

When you join us, we can build a movement through social media to stop wildlife trafficking together.

Join me in ending wildlife trafficking by taking to social media to make your voice heard.

I’m meeting with some of the top conservation leaders in the world this year, and urgently need your support to tell them you want wildlife trafficking to be a priority for the international community to focus on.
By acting together on social media, we can stand up for what we believe in, protecting our beautiful and endangered wildlife from being hunted for trophies and other “parts” to be sold and auctioned off.

We use platforms like Facebook and Instagram everyday to stay close, to interact and to demonstrate who we are. These everyday tools are powerful - by using them for good, we can help connect and organize, adding further pressure and momentum to let our networks, policy makers, change–making groups and the rest of the world hear our collective message about what we believe in. This is truest demonstration of who we are.

That is why social media is one of my reasons for hope, and that hope is always waiting for you to find it and share it. Together, we can inspire millions of people to demand, and achieve change.

Use your social media networks to tell the world that you stand with our wildlife and want the world to put an end to wildlife trafficking.

Post it. Gram it. Stop wildlife trafficking in its tracks.

Thank you,

Jane Goodall
As I said, I added my name to the petition, but I cannot see how the petition is going to change anything whatsoever.  Are poachers going to have their minds changed because a bunch of people signed a petition?

The same goes for those who market in endangered wildlife ─ any number of petitions are not going to influence them.

But maybe Jane Goodall and her people have some method in mind that I cannot at present winkle out.

▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

I take a melatonin supplement ─ only three milligrams ─ most nights just as I am going to bed to aid sleep, and also because I know my body produces little of the hormone on its own due to light pollution; but I would prefer to live somewhere in which I could have natural darkness all about at night.

That is to say, I wish that I was wealthy enough to be able to afford to live somewhere like that ─ I realize that it could easily enough be done if I was homeless and/or lost in a wilderness area.

The reason I only take three milligrams is because I do not wish to discourage my body to stop production of the hormone.

Michigan State University recently published the results of a study involving melatonin that all women should find most interesting.
The brain manufactures melatonin only at night to regulate sleep cycles. Epidemiologists and experimentalists have speculated that the lack of melatonin, due in part to our sleep-deprived modern society, put women at higher risk for breast cancer. The latest MSU study showed that melatonin suppresses the growth of breast cancer stem cells, providing scientific proof to support the growing body of anecdotal evidence on sleep deprivation.
But beyond this, the researchers stimulated the breast cancer stem cells to grow by exposing them to a couple of substances that they knew would bring this about:  estrogen, and Bisphenol A (BPA) ─ the pseudo-estrogen chemical polluting us and our environment because of its heavy use in the plastics industry, as well as in the food industry for linings of packages and cans, and even the ink of sales receipts.

The damn stuff is everywhere.

And it is so well-known to accelerate the growth of cancer cells that researchers use it for that very purpose!

But guess what happened when it was 'fed' to cancer stem cells along with melatonin?

Not only did the growth of the cancer cells remain suppressed despite being 'fed' BPA, but the cancer cells actually began to shrink.



Doesn't it seem sensible that women should be encouraging their bodies to be producing as much melatonin as is possible, and not living a lifestyle that impedes the hormone's production?

NewMarketHealth.com offers these tips:
  • Don't take your phone or iPad to bed with you. The kind of light these devices give off is especially bad news when it comes to melatonin production.
  • Another source of melatonin-zapping light can come from all those energy-saving CFL bulbs. Your best bet is the old incandescent kind that are getting harder to find. If you can't get those, look for LEDs with a number low on the "K scale," which means the light is warmer and less blue.
  • Make it a habit to enjoy some melatonin-boosting foods, such as pineapple, bananas, oranges and especially tart cherry juice.
  • Keep your bedroom as dark as possible when you go to bed. And once under the covers, make sure it's really "lights out." Even one lamp switched on during the night sends a message to your brain to stop producing melatonin.
  • Take a melatonin supplement before bedtime as an easy way to help boost your levels of the hormone.
I just don't understand why it is not offered that melatonin would also be effective against cancers other than those of the breast?

If you would like more information on melatonin, try this June 13 article:


I noticed in that article that my three milligrams of supplementation are far in excess to what was recommended there:  
I recommend taking only 0.25 mg or 0.5 mg to start, and adjusting upward from there. Taking higher doses, such as 3 mg, can sometimes make you more wakeful instead of sleepier, so start low and adjust your dose as needed.
Of course, that recommendation was for sleeping purposes. 

For protection from breast cancer, I guess the trick now is to establish just how much a person requires to bring that about.

▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

It is time now to close with an entry of 41 years ago from my journal so that I can free myself up for my evening of T.V. and drinks.

Back then, I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting my room in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

It seems that my big plan for the day was a hike out to visit my father Hector off in Burnaby ─ specifically, he and his girlfriend Maria Fadden were sharing an apartment in a building at what I believe may have been 5870 Sunset Street

I always hiked there, and then back again to my room.  I didn't deem the distance sufficient to require the waste of bus fare.
WEDNESDAY, September 10, 1975

I arose about 5:30 a.m.

When I left for dad's this hot & sunny day, I took with me some toilet paper and a dozen eggs; I first stopped at the library, but indecision made me leave empty-handed.

Dad & Marie were both hungover, and drinking beer & rye.  

I was bored and annoyed; especially with her incessant, redundant blather.

Dad got worse and worse, and became pretty beery.

He got me to lend him $5 as I was leaving; I didn't overeat.

Hiking up the hill, a Hindu stopped and gave me a ride as far as 10th Ave.

At about 7th, I met Al Cotts; he was hiking home with a toothache (the tooth having been removed) that had supposedly kept him awake for 2 nights.

Leaving him, I again stopped in at the library, taking out a book I had intended to this morning:  Malcom X Speaks edited with notes by George Breitman.

Bedtime again is 8:00 p.m.
It was just about always a bummer to find my father and Maria plastered.  I could only ever tolerate them like this when I was also 'under the influence.'

It was especially disappointing because of the effort I went to in order to pay the visit ─ it was a long walk, even just one way.

The toilet paper and dozen eggs were both probably courtesy of my mother Irene Dorosh.  She and her husband Alex had some laying chikcens.  And my mother worked as an evening office janitress at Scott Paper (now Kruger Inc.) in New Westminster where she often got access to culled products. 

In those years, I never realized that there were Sikhs and Muslims around ─ since my childhood, anyone with a turban had always been referred to as a Hindu.

The hill would have been the rather long Canada Way hill ─ it was truly decent of the guy to actually stop and offer me a ride.  Such a gesture is almost unheard of now.

Al Cotts was a friend of my younger brother Mark.

As for the library book, I don't remember reading that particular work on Malcolm X.  However, I tried to read widely of non-fiction in the hope that even though something might be uninteresting, some small part of it might remain with me, at very least in my subconscious. 

I see that the entire book has been scanned and is available as a 116--page .pdf file at thecricket.gr here.
Post a Comment