.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Friday, September 30, 2016

Just Avoid Chantix │ Take Beta Blockers to Counteract SSRIs Bone-Weakening? No Way to Either Drug! │ Concussion Information

E-mail involvement last night kept me up till well after midnight ─ it was nearer 12:30 a.m.

And even though my first break in sleep that was certain enough to motivate me to check the time was not until nearly 6:00 a.m., I did not feel especially well-rested when I rose in the neighbourhood of 7:30 a.m.

My youngest step-son Pote was already up ─ his girlfriend must have left earlier; and he was to head out towards 8:30 a.m. for his bus to take him to work.

I was alone.

I did some further work at the Amatsu Okiya post I have been working on since Monday, but I could not sit and complete it because I had a hike to the government liquor store to ready for.

It's about a four-mile round-trip jaunt.  Some years ago, there was one in the Cedar Hills shopping plaza (96th Avenue & 128th Street here in Surrey), which is about four blocks from where I live; but it closed down possibly a decade or more back.

Now the nearest one to me is at 108th Avenue & King George Boulevard in Whalley.  It's just far enough to basically cost me a day because by the time I hike back the two dozen cans of beer I have bought, I am physically depleted and unable to get myself involved in any further physical activity.

I'm lucky to avoid a return to bed.

The day was perfectly sunny, and I got out of here at 11:22 a.m.  I was back home 1½ hours later (12:52 p.m. for the math-challenged).

The decline was coming on fast, so after a very light lunch, I got into my cut-offs and ─ beginning at 1:36 p.m. ─ I put in just over 40 minutes seated on a chair on the backyard lawn, all the while facing into the Sun and letting my awareness drift.

I never napped ─ I just 'zoned out.'

It has been the most incredibly sunny September I can ever recall.

I want to make note that my vision has been especially bad today.  I have my doubts about the Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear I have been trying to use here at my computer the past week in an effort to block damaging blue light ─ I believe that they are forcing my eyes to strain too much because they make it harder to read text.

╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦

I want to post this photo ─ the description beneath is from the Google album where I have the scanned image saved:

A photo probably taken in1974 or 1975.

That is my younger brother Mark in the striped t-shirt at the left.

The couple are Bob & Mary ─ I don't know if I ever knew their last name (or names, for they may not have been married).

I have no idea where this barbecue was taking place.
I now realize that two photos that I have posted in the past week or so must have been taken on that same occasion ─ one each of Bob and of Mary:



Mark's girlfriend of the time ─ Catherine Jeanette Gunther ─ must have taken the photos.

Mark and Jeanette were to break up in a year or so.  As far as I know, their sundering meant a disconnect with friends that they had shared.

I have no idea what ever became of Bob & Mary.

╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦

My younger brother Mark was once a smoker, but I avoided the habit ─ I was too fitness-minded, and deeply concerned about my lung capacity.

He did quit, and without any sort of medical aid.

Chantix is one big-name medication I keep seeing commercials for ─ a dozen of the most current ones are profiled at ispot.tvChantix TV Commercials.

The makers of Chantix ─ Pfizer Inc. ─ have been trying to get the FDA to allow them to remove the 'black box' warning on the packaging.

The company even ran its own study on side-effects to prove that they are being overblown or inflated, but the FDA wasn't exactly thrilled to discover that the study was hardly unbiased.

You can read a couple of reports about that, if you like:

Bloomberg

 FiercePharma

Various websites list side-effects ─ try, for example, Drugs.com, RxList.com, and WebMD.com.

There are quite a few side-effects, but just reading them listed off doesn't exactly personalize them.

Try the following article for Chantix at its worst:

MOTHERBOARD

Just because many people report success with Chantix or a similar anti-smoking medication does not mean that you are not going to encounter anything adverse.

🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚

A recent study on mice involving antidepressant SSRI medication revealed that it caused their bones to start weakening ─ the medication actually caused the brain to send out signals to increase bone breakdown.

Now isn't that all a depressed senior or anyone else needs on top of whatever hurdles are bringing him or her down?  One fall or even a hard bump, and a fracture results that is going to rob that senior of whatever physical wherewithal and independence he or she had.

But the study came up with an antidote.


Well, beta-blockers have their own big issues ─ just refer to the side-effects at Drug.com of the beta-blocker used in the study.  Propranolol side effects.

Obviously if someone experiences dizziness and/or vision problems, that can be a prescription for falling in itself.  But the stuff can even cause depression ─ the very reason the other medication is being taken!

I doubt insomnia is going to help much with the depression, either.

And how could "decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm" lift anyone's spirits?

Stay off the drugs in the first place. 

These suggestions were given at NewMarketHealth.com:
In most cases, you can beat the blues with B12 vitamins, sunshine, and -- if you need an extra boost -- St. John's wort.

Talk to your doc first because St. John's wort can interact with certain meds. 
🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚

So how informed are you concerning a concussion?  

I hope you at least realize that a person does not have to be unconscious to have suffered one.

Many people believe that someone who has suffered a concussion may be in danger of sinking into a coma if that person is allowed to sleep ─ a common practice is to wake the victim periodically through the night to keep him or her from slipping away.

But apparently that is the harmful thing to be doing.

Check out this report ─ it concerns children, but the same concerns should apply to adult patients, too:

USA TODAY

You can brush up even further on your concussion knowledge by checking out childrensnational.org ─ again, the advice should largely apply to adult victims, too:  General Concussion FAQs.  

╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦

And here is where I close out today's post with a 41-year-old entry from my journal, back when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the small unit in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.
TUESDAY, September 30, 1975

I got up pretty close to 6:00 a.m.

About 7:30 a.m. David knocked, but I wasn't caught in a position forcing me to respond; he left a note requesting I come over this evening.  Of course, I can't, having to retire early so as to rise early for tomorrow's walk to mom's.

I did my laundry, finding the door propped open when I arrived; I took Malcolm X Speaks to the library; the laundromat was mine till an old guy arrived during my drying.

I typed up a letter to mail Jean; I'll do this at the Royal Square after Bill picks me up here for the smorgasbord.

When he came I used his presence to bolster my payment of rent; the landlady wishes to put a new couch within my suite in a week or so.

Bill is off work, having cut open two fingers of his right hand.

The meal was good, edible meat dishes being deep-fried cod in batter, and barbecued chicken wings; Bill bought me a glass of milk.

After being dropped off here at home I found a letter from the welfare requesting my presence October 9. 

My bedroom light bulb burned out.

It is a hot, sunny day.

I shall retire at 8:30 p.m.
My poor old friend Philip David Prince!

I almost always feigned being absent whenever he came visiting, for I had other things planned, and he could be an enormous time-waster. 

He had his own room not too far way ─ a few blocks.  So it was not a great inconvenience for him. 

I usually did my laundry at a laundromat on Sixth Avenue, very near to the public library.  I now don't really remember the place; but for someone to be able to just prop open the door, it must have automatically locked at some point late in the day.

In other words, no caretaker or owner was locking the place up for the night.

I had written of this door-propping happening in a couple of previous journal entries.

The letter I typed up was to an American pen-pal, Jean Michelle Martin (formerly Jean Michelle Black).

My old friend William Alan Gill had a bachelor suite not too very far from where I was living.  We often visited the smorgasbord that was located at what must have been the Royal Square Mall ─ 8th Avenue & McBride Boulevard in New Westminster.

I doubt I would recognize the Royal Square of today.

Anyway, at this time in 1975, the smorgasbord was called something like Country Boy's.

By the way, I am certain that I was unhappy about the landlady wanting to place a new couch in my unit ─ it would have been an unwanted intrusion.  I was very private.

When I read about how often I used to avoid my friend David, I now feel quite bad about it.  I realize now that he was likely rather lonely ─ but he could be such a boor.

I wish that he had lived to be around for me to share a friendship with today.  

Surely he would have evolved, and been far better ─ even desirable ─ company in his later years?
Post a Comment