.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Regrets │ Oral Bacteria That Contribute to Colon Cancer

It was around 8:30 p.m. last evening when my wife Jack finally left to probably return to Vancouver where she so often stays.  She would have left before that, but she had to wait for her youngest son Pote to bring home her car ─ I think that she finally had to phone him.

He had used it to take his girlfriend somewhere in the latter afternoon.  At least when he came back, it was without her. 

Jack had been here ─ albeit in and out several times ─ since maybe 6:30 p.m. Monday evening.  That's something of a recent record for length of stay.

I think she said she would return on Thursday.

There has been no token good-bye kiss approaching on a month now, I would venture.

It all would have weighed on me rather heavily had I been here by myself, but my younger brother Mark was home and watching Amercia's Got Talent with me, and I had just poured myself two or three ounces of rye whisky to precede the three cans of strong (8% alcohol) beer I would later be enjoying.

Still, initially there was some deep sense of loss, for I had gone out to the roadside where the car was parked to see her off.

I wish that I could come into a fortune to clear away all debts and free me up to move and live anywhere I might desire.  It would give me the opportunity to determine for all time if she is done with me or not.

If she refused to leave everyone she knows in this part of Canada ─ or perhaps someone specific ─ then I would have the knowledge I need to allow me to get on with my life elsewhere.

I was to bed ahead of midnight ─ it might have been around 11:30 p.m.

There was the usual break in initial solid sleep after a few hours that is just about always my cue to use the bathroom; and following the intermittent sleep thereafter, it was 8:02 a.m. when I checked the time and decided to start my day.

Unfortunately, I was annoyed to see that my eldest step-son Tho's car was still here.  He had not gone to work.

He had been away to somewhere since Saturday and only returned home yesterday afternoon.  Yet he went out last evening and was still gone when I had retired ─ I never heard him return.

So he's either lazy after having so much time off work; or else he was too stupidly sleepy to bother getting up for work this morning.

Mark would have roused him, though ─ Mark tends to do that when Mark leaves for work, for he knows Tho is supposed to get up and go to work as well.

But I probably won't ask Mark about it this evening.

Pote was still in bed when I started my day, but he soon enough rose; and by 10:00 a.m. had left to catch his bus to take him to work over at Guildford.

Tho finally got up, showered, and fast took off around noon.

Although I was home all morning, I only managed to get half the work done that I intended on the new post I started yesterday at my Thai-Iceland website.  Instead of getting right at it, I was diverted by a couple of problems with the website that I have still not resolved.

The most irksome issue is that the feature in the Jetpack plugin that displays visitor statistics for each of the most recent 28 days has utterly disappeared.

Anyway, as for my day, the weather has been marked by heavily overcast skies.  I don't think we had any rain overnight, but light showers started up around 2:30 p.m.

It sure feels like Fall ─ not Summer.

I want to post this photo ─ the description beneath is from the Google album where I have the image filed:

Jack and Tukta on a beach at Koh Samet in Thailand ─ probably late in January 2003, but possibly February had arrived by this point.  I just cannot recall any longer when exactly it was in early January that I arrived in Thailand, nor when my flight back to Canada was.

I miss this version of Jack so darned much.

It was while on this island that I told her one evening that I loved her, and she replied with the same sentiments.

I returned to Thailand in 2004 and we became formally engaged.

Then in May 2005, I made my third and last visit to her country and we got married in Udon Thani (city).

She was finally able to come to Canada in early May 2006.

Things were pretty good between us.

Her two sons joined us in September 2008.

Gradually, she started metamorphosing.

Early in the second half of March 2013 she sought physical intimacy with me one night in bed, but never has again.
ααααααααααααααααααααα

Back on August 27, I quickly read a report that told of a study which identified that a tooth-decay  bacterium known as Fusobacterium nucleatum seems to have a proclivity for grouping onto growths and tumours in the human colon, and actually shielding these potentially cancerous developments from eradication by our immune system.

And the bacteria are doing this migration from our mouths ─ not by getting swallowed by us ─ but by migrating through the bloodstream.

Here are a couple of reports on that study:

cosmos

MedicalXpress

Unfortunately, one of the researchers says this:
“Based on our findings, it's too early to say whether we can prevent mouth bacteria from travelling through blood to the colon and promoting tumour formation or if some people are more at risk than others.”
Of course, the talk is of developing drugs to use against the bacterium's protective shield when someone has an identified colon cancer.

I would prefer that research is done to figure out how to naturally defeat this particular germ.

Another study was published in May ─ roughly two months earlier than the one discussed in the two references.  This is the abstract of the earlier study:
The oral periodontopathic bacterium Fusobacterium nucleatum has been repeatedly associated with colorectal tumors. Molecular analysis has identified specific virulence factors that promote tumorigenesis in the colon. However, other oral community members, such as members of the Porphyromonas spp., are also found with F. nucleatum on colonic tumors, and thus, narrow studies of individual pathogens do not take community-wide virulence properties into account. A broader view of oral bacterial physiology and pathogenesis identifies two factors that could promote colonization and persistence of oral bacterial communities in the colon. The polymicrobial nature of oral biofilms and the asaccharolytic metabolism of many of these species make them well suited to life in the microenvironment of colonic lesions. Consideration of these two factors offers a novel perspective on the role of oral microbiota in the initiation, development, and treatment of colorectal cancer. 

So there are more than one kind of oral bacterium that seem to love congregating at colon tumours and growths.

There are even earlier reports about this:
What's our defence? 

The bacteria associated with our mouths have been linked to involvement with heart attacks, strokes, and even dementia.

Toothpastes are no solution.

Do we need to be brushing and rinsing our mouths with common hydrogen peroxide (the 3% solution)?

I have read that there is such a thing as 'good' dental film or plaque that protects teeth ─ so I am not sure if it is a good idea to indiscriminately kill off ALL oral organisms.

I am definitely going to be watchful for future reports on this subject.

ααααααααααααααααααααα

It is time for me to close, and I will do so with this entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster

The house I was renting my room in was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

It was after 4:00 a.m. that I may have retired to bed the night before.   

It seems that I had plans to hike over and visit my mother Irene Dorosh ─ she and her husband Alex had a small house in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey.

The house no longer exists, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue ─ my main mailing address back then.

To hike there from my room in New Westminster took me about 1½ hours at a fast pace.
SUNDAY, September 7, 1975

I got up about 9:20 a.m.

I walked to mom's with my calves' liver, but it wasn't used for the meal; salmon was.

Alex is fermenting up a small quantity of plum wine.  He is not yet on strike, to my relief.

They have acquired a "mushroom farm," a box of soil of some sort, supposedly viable for 3 months.

Timmy & friend Steven came over for a while.

When I ate, I did quite well; Bill called during the meal, and arrived just as I finished; the liver I suggested be cooked tomorrow night for my appearance Tuesday.

I assisted Bill amass a bunch of plums, and some apples, then we left to shop for his mother.

My only mail was a Western ticket; Cathy's ticket gift from me was there too.

Bill & I stopped off at her place, but no one was there.

After leaving his mother's, we laundered, then he bought a bucket of Kentucky chicken which we ate at my place.

I got to bed shortly after 9:30 p.m.; or was it 8:30 p.m.?

A full cloudy day.
I had bought the liver just the day before at a butcher shop up on Sixth Avenue near the public library.

I was probably relieved that Alex was not yet striking because that would have meant that he would likely be home during the week anytime I went over to visit my mother.

I preferred that he was not there.

It was likely my young maternal cousin Tim Halverson who came visiting with whomever his friend "Steven" was ─ I no longer remember any such pal of his. 

My comment that "I did quite well" when I ate lunch likely meant that I did not heavily overeat like I was too often prone to do.

My old friend William Alan Gill also lived in New Westminster, and we generally got together on weekends.  He drove over and availed himself of some of the larder abundantly available in my mother's backyard.

His mother Anne Gregory lived in Maillardville, and probably had wanted him to buy some groceries for her.  I went with him to do the shopping, and then we stopped off at the rented home of my brother Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther, but no one was there. 

They lived on Bentley Road in Whalley  ─ the house was not too far from 108th Avenue & King George Highway.

Jeanette's birthday was coming up later in September, and I had mail-ordered a few things for her, including a Western Lottery ticket that had arrived in the mail at my mother's home.  A ticket I had ordered for myself had also arrived.

After the failed attempt to visit Mark and Jeanette ("Cathy"), Bill and I went on to bring his mother the groceries.

Then we left and returned to New Westminster to visit a laundromat and get our laundry cleaned and dried.

It was jolly decent of Bill to spring for the bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken that we ate back at my room.

I probably went to bed not very long after he left me to return to his bachelor suite.

And now here I am today.  What a limited, marginal life I have led....
Post a Comment