.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Bisphosphonates and Osteoporosis │ U.S. Election: 5 Voter Scams to Avoid │Vitaimin K1 and Vitaimin K2: Death Rate Reduction Difference for Coronary Heart Disease

The past two evenings, my younger brother Mark has been abysmally poor company ─ I wish he would just go directly to bed when he comes home like this.

My wife Jack had been home earlier that evening, but she had left to return to Vancouver ─ she left around 7:30 p.m., indicating that she was going to pick up her youngest son Pote from work at Guildford and drop him off here at home.

However, if she did pick him up, it was not to bring him back here ─ he and his girlfriend never showed up for maybe another 1½ hours.

I didn't waste much time before turning off the T.V. after Mark went to bed because the young couple had gone out again ─ taking off in my older step-son Tho's car.

I was in bed well before midnight.

I think my first break in sleep was in the neighbourhood of 3:30 a.m., so I used the bathroom.  And I finally rose in the morning at 7:21 a.m.

Tho's car was gone, so it would be awhile before I knew if Pote had stayed out with it; or if Tho used it to get to work instead of taking public transport as he is supposed to be doing.

Well, the latter scenario was the case.  Pote and his girlfriend roused from bed late into the morning.

I never know their working schedules, so I had no idea what to expect ─ were they to be home all of this grey, somewhat rainy day?

She finally left on her own at some point after 1:00 p.m. ─ I was watching a webinar, and so could not break off to check out a window and see if she had a ride outside, but I expect so.

Pote must be having the day off work, for it is 1:57 p.m. as I type this, and he is still home.

Anyway, I spent the morning finally finishing and publishing a new post at my Lawless Spirit website:  Holistic Veterinarians II.


The infernal brown hound beyond our backyard fence had been making a constant vocal intrusion of my sanity all the morning.  By the time I had that post published ─ and there had been times when I wailed for mercy to God, and was practically prancing about in my impotent helplessness to be spared the barking and baying ─ I was about burned out.

I had a hearty breakfast/lunch of some of my wife's cooking that she left us yesterday; and shortly before noon, I returned to bed fully clothed to seek refuge, rest my weary eyes, and potentially nap, as I killed time until that 1:00 p.m. webinar.

The webinar was by a survival expert who is a former FBI agent, and detailed the 41 items that he has in a survival pack that he takes with him anytime he travels from home.

If I was wealthy, I would love to own a few of these!

By the way, the damned hound is still carrying on.  I have long wished for its death by any means whatsoever.

After suffering from its merciless and intrusive vocal barrages for over three years, unable to gain any reprieve from them, I will it nothing but the direst ill.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

I imagine that osteoporosis must be a heart-breaking condition for anyone getting on in years.  It certainly tears at the heart to witness an elderly victim looking so bent and frail.

A class of medications most commonly prescribed to treat osteoporosis are the bisphosphonates.

As usual, these have quite the list of potential side-effects.  Here are some:
  • Oral administration may result in upper GI (gastrointestinal) adverse effects such as erosive esophagitis, and nausea, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, and gastritis.
  • Intravenous (IV) administration can be marked by fever, myalgias, and arthralgias.
  • The possibility of severe and sometimes incapacitating bone, joint, and/or musculoskeletal pain that may occur at any point after patients begin taking a bisphosphonate.
  • Transient hypocalcemia.
  • Increased risk of esophageal cancer.
  • Ocular inflammation (eg, uveitis, conjunctivitis, episcleritis, and scleritis), ocular pain, and photophobia can occur weeks, months, or even years after bisphosphonate initiation.
  • Increased risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) development. 
  • Atrial fibrillation.
  • Severe suppression of bone turnover.
  • Subtrochanteric femoral fractures.  Evidently this would be a femur fracture just below either of the trochanters, the two knobs at the top of the femur ─ the greater on the outside and the lesser on the inside ─ serving for the attachment of muscles between the thigh and pelvis.  
Yes, the very medications that are supposed to treat osteoporosis can sometimes result in bone breakage ─ and the femur is the largest, strongest bone in the human body.

But let's return to the eye problems ─ note this latest report on a recent study:


Wet AMD is one form of macular degeneration.

Don't get duped into being given a DXA scan to test your bone density.  I have just read one claim that they are "one of the most unreliable medical tests you can get."

You will next probably find yourself prescribed with a bisphosphonate.

Let's keep our bones as strong as we can, while we can.  This recommendation from NewMarketHealth.com sounds best:
...Regularly take vitamin D. Another would be to include vitamin K supplements that are made from natto or nattokinase. And that's especially important if you're also taking calcium.
Supplemental vitamin D3 is the only kind you should be looking at purchasing.

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

America's AARP has some timely recommendations to help folks avoid getting fleeced by fraudsters claiming to be working for one electoral campaign or another.

NewMarketHealth.com condensed the list like this:
  • Giving a campaign contribution to someone claiming to represent a candidate. Rather than whipping out your checkbook (or worse yet, giving them the number of your credit or debit card) when they call or visit you, you should look up the official website of whatever party or group you wish to contribute to. And don't assume that any e-mail you get soliciting funds is legit, either, until you've checked it out.
  • Calling a number provided to you via an e-mail or robocall (telling you how you can vote by phone, for instance). It might well be an overseas callback number disguised with a U.S. area code -- and could launch your phone bill into the stratosphere.
  • Falling for an offer do your registration paperwork for a fee -- which, though legal, is totally unnecessary, since free forms to update you voter registration are readily available from public sources, such as libraries and post offices.
AARP.org

That organization actually has a lot of helpful advice on different types of fraud avoidance ─ just check out their index:  Fraud Watch Network.

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

I mentioned vitamin K near the end of that report on osteoporosis and bisphosphonates.

Well, just as with vitamin D, there are different forms.

Evidently a recent study has found that a high intake of vitamin K2 resulted in a 14% reduction in death from coronary heart disease (CHD) over study participants who had a high intake of vitamin K1:

NUTRAingredients-usa.com

However, there were no other outstanding differences between the types of vitamin K that affected deaths from other conditions under study.

Personally, I would lean towards vitamin K2 supplementation ─ note this:
...The absorption of vitamin K1 from food is extremely low. Only 10 percent of the vitamin K, which is found in green leafy vegetables, is absorbed in your body... And there’s no variable or modification of the consumption that will significantly increase the absorption...

That was when we started to measure vitamin K2 in food items. We discovered that it was only present in fermented foods. Vitamin K2 is produced by bacteria in the fermentation product...

The total amount of vitamin K2 in cheese is lower than K1 in green leafy vegetables. However, all the vitamin K2 is absorbed by the body... Vitamin K2 in the food item is nearly completely absorbed...
That is a quote taken from here:


And notice how that ties in nicely with this quote from the report on the heart health study:
There are two main forms of vitamin K: phylloquinone (vitamin K1), which is found in green leafy vegetables such as lettuce, broccoli and spinach, and makes up about 90% of the vitamin K in a typical Western diet; and menaquinones (vitamins K2), which make up about 10% of Western vitamin K consumption and can be synthesized in the gut by microflora.
If vitamin K1 makes up 90% of our dietary intake from the plants we eat, then we are only absorbing about 9% of it.  Yet virtually all of the vitamin K2 that we consume is absorbed.

It's a pretty good match.

By the way, Wikipedia whisks one to an article on coronary artery disease when one attempts to look up coronary heart disease.  Is there a difference?

If you are curious, check out this article at heart.org Coronary Artery Disease - Coronary Heart Disease.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

Maybe my youngest step-son Pote did have to work today?  Noises downstairs that I attributed to him seem to be attributable to his older brother Tho who apparently arrived home at 2:00 p.m. or so.

Whatever the case, I am home alone now at 5:04 p.m.  Tho must have taken public transport to go and visit his girlfriend, and not run the risk of being caught driving while under a licence suspension.

I even detected a bit of sunshine out there.  Late last afternoon, there were some broad sunny breaks.  Yet we had some rain overnight.

I wish to close now with a 41-year-old entry from my journal, back when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.   

The house I was renting the small unit in was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

As a result of my old friend William Alan Gill and I partying at my maternal Aunt Nell Halverson's home off in Surrey ─ she and her large household may then have been living in a rented house on 64th Avenue, fairly near to Newton Junior High School ─ I had not gotten to bed until 4:45 a.m.
SATURDAY, October 18, 1975

I got up at nigh 9:30 a.m. feeling very unslept.

Last night I vowed to forever end these harmful late nights and ever strive to be abed as early as 7:00 p.m. or 8:00 p.m.; Bill knows. 

I should mention he last eve bought me a milkshake and 2 hamburgers at McDonald's.

For this overcast day, since my feet have healed from Thursday's abuse, my plan is to wear my boots on a hike over for a short visit with dad, taking along more tissue; I'll leave about 1:45 p.m. for his place.

A Dalmatian-type dog was intent on accompanying me down the Canada Way hill  until it became involved with another dog and I hurried out of sight.

Dad & Marie were sober, and I soon discovered they were filled with bitterness, but were getting along by the time I left less, perhaps, than 1½ hours later.

Seems the day I last saw dad (drunk) he ended up in jail again.

They received an okay, though, for a one-bedroom suite on Kingsway near Imperial; they can move in anytime.

I was fed, but ate a mere plate.

My bedtime tonight will be slightly before 7:00 p.m. 
My father Hector and his girlfriend Maria Fadden were sharing an apartment at what I believe was 5870 Sunset Street in Burnaby.

I always hiked to there and back again to my room anytime I visited them during the two or three months they lived in the building. 

It was always a gamble as to what condition they would be in, unfortunately ─ they both had a big alcohol problem.

The toilet tissue I was bringing them was courtesy of my mother Irene Dorosh.  She worked as an evening janitress at Scott Paper (now Kruger Inc.) in New Westminster.  She had access to culls, and other paper products that had been selected for purposes of quality control, and had thereafter been discarded.

I don't recall the dog, but this was something I always rather dreaded.  I didn't have all day to just babysit the wayward, friendly animal; yet I did not want it to become hopelessly lost by tagging along with me ─ or incur an accident if it was street-foolish.  

Fortunately on this day, the friendly creature got sidetracked by a frolic with another dog, and I managed to hustle off and get out of sight.

But who knows on its fate thereafter?

Too often when my father and Maria drank, they became embattled.

I mentioned in an earlier post this month that they had been given an eviction notice; and now they had a new place to move to.

It is peculiar to me that I cannot remember their Sunset Street apartment, nor my walks to it and back home again.  But I think I remember the apartment location at Kingsway and Imperial in Burnaby.

I usually heavily overate when I was visiting them, but  I managed to control myself on this occasion.

There mustn't have been anything worth mentioning about my hike home.
Post a Comment