.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Herbal & Dietary Supplements │ Numbers of Serious Joint Pain Sufferers Keeps Rising │ Fructose Dangers

It was good to get to bed last evening ahead of midnight.

I don't recall when my initial block of sleep came to an end and I used the bathroom, but before it was even 7:30 a.m. this morning I found myself unable to get back to further sleep ─ despite it being dark, for it was raining, and this was to carry through for much of the day.

My youngest step-son Pote and his girlfriend were still in bed, but I could hear them quietly talking when I was preparing my morning's hot beverage.

I wondered if they were both going to have the day off work and be here throughout?

Pote must have driven his older brother Tho to the SkyTrain this morning so that Tho could get to work in Burnaby, for the car was parked in my younger brother Mark's spot ─ which is nearest the front door.  We have a dual-car open carport.

The young couple were to arise within the hour as I worked upon a post at one of my hosted websites, and well before 10:00 a.m. they drove off.

Pote was to return by himself.

But apparently even he had to work today, so late in the noon-hour, I presume that he drove off to get himself to Guildford where he is employed.

About all else I have to report thus far at 1:31 p.m. is that if I still find myself home alone by mid-afternoon, I will commence slow-cooking myself a highly nutritious feed of medium ground beef with some vegetables and lots of spicing.

I like to put the ensemble into a covered frying pan and slow-cook it for an hour or so on top of one of the heating elements.  With my wife Jack away to Thailand until November 21st, I cannot look forward to her sporadic cooking to break my usual spartan fare that I normally make do with.

And I suppose I can take that as my cue to post this photo of her taken on a sunny mid-afternoon on September 8, 2016, as she posed beside our home, very near to the back yard where I was standing:


¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

I wonder what most people call to mind when they read a headline like the following, as well as the article it heralds?

REUTERS.com

I take a number of different vitamin supplements, but the only complexes I take are a vitamin B complex and a vitamin E complex.  The others are a single vitamin type.

The only mineral supplements I take are magnesium, zinc, chromium, and selenium.

I do not take a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement because most are comprised of minerals like iron that I do not want to be taking, and they also tend to have synthetic vitamin E.

Also, they do not deliver the specific vitamin potencies I tend to pursue.

When researchers do studies involving vitamin E, they generally utilize synthetic vitamin E, and thus it is no surprise that the results are usually quite negative.

Weight control products, energy enhancements, erectile dysfunction products, herbal supplements ─ the quality of things like these can fast become murky.

I prefer to have some understanding of each of the ingredients, and generally treat such products with suspicion.

Of course, there are supplements that I do not take simply because I just cannot afford them on my pension income.

🐯🐯🐯🐯🐯🐯🐯

One supplement I would try if I could afford to add it to my regimen is undenatured collagen UC-II ─ in a study published earlier this year, it beat out chondroitin and glucosamine when it came to cutting pain, easing stiffness, and improving function in sufferers of knee osteoarthritis.

As the following report about a study on Americans indicates, the numbers of serious joint pain sufferers keeps growing ─ and I have no doubt that the situation is little different here in Canada:


The CDC reference given at the base of that report is here

As for UC-II undenatured collagen, a description of what it is can be found here

And a May 25, 2014, article going into greater detail is here.

That latter reference mentioned rheumatoid arthritis ─ curcumin has been demonstrated to  help with the pain of that, proving superior to medications it was tested against.  Turmeric contains curcumin, but I keep failing to include it daily in my diet.

I have bad cartilage in both knees.  Peculiarly enough, though, the left knee seemed to improve where the cartilage pain was concerned after I had knee surgery on November 5, 2010, to reattach my quadriceps tendon to my patella (knee cap).

Could the meddling with my knee cap ─ some holes were drilled through it from top to bottom (from the perspective of me standing) ─ have stimulated some cartilage regrowth?  I have wondered about that ever since.

🐯🐯🐯🐯🐯🐯🐯

Diabetics should seriously beware of fructose, if a recent study on mice translates accurately to humans.

The fructose was much more rapidly absorbed by diabetic mice than it was by healthy mice; and it went directly to the liver and was set up for storage as fat.

Here's a report on the study:

TIME.com

Fructose is already a factor in the causation of diabetes, liver disease (including fatty liver disease),  heart-attack, and cancer ─ among other pathologies. 

A video by researcher Dr. James DiNicolantonio puts to rest the claim that "a calorie is a calorie" ─ where fructose is concerned, that is sheer fiction:



Fructose in various forms is a favourite of the food manufacturing industry, so it can be exremely difficult to avoid if you consume processed foods.

The following is advice from NewMarketHealth.com:
...Here are the top names you need to watch out for where fructose is concerned.
  • HFCS, an ingredient you want to avoid at all costs.
  • HFCS-90, another kind of HFCS, only it's 90 percent fructose.
  • Fruit sugar, while it sounds natural, this ingredient is typically nothing more than a code name for high fructose corn syrup.
  • Agave syrup, even if it's organic and has beautiful pictures on the label! Agave can be up to almost 100 percent fructose.
  • Crystalline fructose, which you'll find added to numerous drinks including sports ones claiming to be good for you. This sweetener is 100 percent fructose. And it's derived from genetically-modified corn to boot.
And again, even though fruit also contains fructose, it's at low levels and digested differently due to its natural fiber content.
Read those labels!

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

It seems that my younger brother Mark put out our recycling bin for pick-up today, along with the compost bin ─ but it was the garbage bin and not the recycling bin that should have gone out.

I never realized it.

And now we have a full garbage bin that is going to have to do us for another two weeks.

As for that cooking I had hoped to do this afternoon, it is on hold.  Both Pote and his girlfriend were back here shortly after 3:00 p.m. 

So neither of them did have to work after all.

I am going to close off now with a 41-year-old entry from my journal, back when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the small unit in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

I see that I misidentified the process of setting back my clock by an hour ─ I should have stated that it was because of the Standard Time change.  

Anyway, I had not gotten to bed until 12:50 a.m. prior to this journal entry.
SUNDAY, October 26, 1975

I got up well before 7:30 a.m., but only after setting my clock back 1 hour for Daylight Savings Time; I tried rising at 5:00 a.m., but was far too sleepy. 

I only got to finish my morning exercises.  Bill came at 9:30 a.m. saying we and Cathy and mom & Alex were going to Bellingham.

Well, I spent nothing, but fed on corn chips, chocolates, beer, and some light dinner at mom's when we got back.

Perhaps my day wasn't really wasted tho, who can say; and it was raining.

After getting home Cathy (she always drove) we found Mark home; she hence tried to act peeved.

Bill & I stayed and stayed, doing some drinking; Mark had some grouse.

When we did leave, Cathy was trying to work herself into tears using Mark's TV viewing over her converse as prime excuse.

I bought 3 comics at Mac's.

Bed by 9:50 p.m.
My old friend William Alan Gill lived three or four blocks from me in New Westminster.  He drove over to tell me that we were going to the States with Catherine Jeanette Gunther (my younger brother Mark's girlfriend), and my mother Irene Dorosh and her husband Alex.

Mark was away hunting, and had been gone for about a week.

I suspect that we all went in Bill's car, with Jeanette doing the driving.  Bill had no sense of direction, and never knew where he was once he got too far from home.

Jeanette must have been upset that Mark had never called while he was away; and now that he was home, he was locked into watching television instead of immersing himself into her complaints.

It cannot have gone well once Bill and I finally headed on home.

I have no doubt that the three comics I bought on our way home were Marvel ─ I was a huge fan.
Post a Comment