.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Prostate Cancer Options │ A Saline Spray Found to Control Severe Nosebleeds

As reported in yesterday's post, my wife Jack had shown up in the latter afternoon, and was soon busy cooking.

As I was to find out, she was home for the night.

It was pleasant having here here, watching Gotham with my younger brother Mark and I.

Mark mentioned to me that his girlfriend Bev has voiced interest in celebrating Thanksgiving here by coming over and helping prepare a turkey feast ─ maybe on the Sunday.  When I relayed this to Jack, she was doubtful that she would be available ─ she might be obligated to help her friend Eaw at the latter's restaurant in Vancouver.

By the way, I have no idea if that's how her nickname is spelled ─ I have only ever heard it.  To my ears, it sounds just like the noise someone expresses when something is yucky.

So we'll see.  I was rather pleased, though, that Jack pointed out that my birthday was around then, too.  I was wondering if she would forget.

It was a late night, though.  By the time I noticed Jack heading off to bed, it was after 1:30 a.m. before I was also in bed.

She seems to sleep worse than I do ─ I really do think that she should use earplugs.

By the time I was next awake enough to be considering using the bathroom, her eldest son Tho was in it ─ this was quite ahead of 6:00 a.m.  I hadn't gotten up ─ I had heard him enter into it.

As I lay waiting for my opportunity, Jack roused and got up to use the bathroom, finding of course that it was unavailable.

So she went downstairs, probably to use the toilet in the boys' den area.

By then Tho had begun showering in preparation for his day at work, so I rose and used the ensuite in Mark's bedroom ─ he had long gone to work already.

I managed to get back to sleep afterwards, as I expect that Jack did.

Awhile later, I kenned to her rising, and paid heed to her rummaging until she finally exited the bedroom, closing the door.  She had gotten up ─ a time check revealed it to be 8:39 a.m.

So I rose.

Jack went downstairs and roused her youngest son Pote ─ she had apparently obligated herself to drive him to work over in Guildford.

I fixed myself my morning hot beverage and came here to my computer.  I first dealt with my E-mails that had come in overnight, fully expecting to afterwards be getting in some work on the post I began on Sunday at my Lawless Spirit website.

However, Jack wasted no time in returning, and that chance never presented itself.

And she never did go anywhere else to do any sort of shopping.  Instead, she busied herself with various chores and more cooking.  And I resigned myself to getting no work at all done on the website post.

I was surprised, though.  The poor girl announced late in the morning that she was very sleepy, and needed a nap.

Once she had retired to our bedroom, I was actually able to do what normally amounts to a half-day's work in that post ─ I sure never expected to have that much good fortune.  The girl was clearly very short on her sleep.

It was nice having her home, even if we hardly communicated.

In fact, when she was finally getting ready to leave and return to Vancouver, I felt some of the pangs of missing her after having her here for as long as it was.

She drove off at 2:27/8 p.m.

It has been a very grey day.  I did see one break of sunshine in the afternoon, but the weather looks more inclined to rain than clear up.  We did have light rain overnight and on into the morning.

╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟

Google presented me with a so-called card it had created on September 30 that related to some photos I took of my wife Jack and her two sons when they were attending a Canadian Citizenship ceremony back in 2013, and being granted certificates of citizenship.

The card was titled 'Rediscover this day.'

Then Google presented another card commemorating today back in 2014 when my brother Mark and I were attending a party at our cousin Wendy's home out near Chilliwack.

But I couldn't find any way to save the darned things.  Every description I came across claimed that all a person had to do was click 'SAVE TO LIBRARY' ─ but there is no bloody such option being displayed anywhere.  The 'X' to dismiss the card is plain enough.

Well, I wasted a lot of time winkling out how to save the card, and eventually I succeeded ─ but there never was any 'SAVE TO LIBRARY' option to select and click.

So without further ado, here is the collage from the Canadian Citizenship ceremony back on September 30, 2013:


And here is the card or collage created today and comprising photos taken at my cousin Wendy's home back on October 4, 2014:


╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟

I have posted before about a recent study that compared three groups of men with early-stage prostate cancer ─ the comparison was done over a decade.

Of the 1,643 men, they were grouped as follows:  545 were selected for active monitoring; 553 were assigned surgery; and 545 received radiotherapy (i.e., radiation treatment).

In the 10 years of the study, there was virtually no difference in the death rate ─ as many men who undertook no treatment were still alive as who had gotten surgery or radiation therapy.

You can read some reports on the study:




So just what consequences were there for those men who had prostate surgery or else the radiation therapy?

The following description is not from the study ─ rather, it's from a fairly comprehensive report "originally published January 2007; last reviewed April 20, 2011:"
Radical prostatectomy (surgery). The surgeon removes the prostate and seminal vesicles (saclike glands that release fluid that becomes part of semen). In some cases, pelvic lymph nodes are also sampled. This is most often performed through an abdominal incision; abdominal surgery may also be done with a laparoscope. A third option is the perineal technique, involving an incision in the area between the scrotum and the anus (the perineum). The most common side effects are
  • impotence (affecting 30%–70% of men)
  • mild to severe incontinence (2%–15%).
External beam radiation therapy. After a CT scan constructs a three-dimensional picture of the prostate and seminal vesicles, the radiation oncologist directs rays of high-energy radiation at the prostate tumor and sometimes at nearby lymph nodes. The most common side effects are
  • impotence (30%–70%)
  • mild to severe incontinence (1%–2%).
Brachytherapy. With ultrasound guidance, radioactive “seeds” or pellets are implanted in the prostate itself to irradiate the tumor. The most common side effects are
  • impotence (30%–50%)
  • mild to severe incontinence (2%).
Active surveillance. This involves an extended period of monitoring the cancer with regular digital rectal exams, PSA tests, and sometimes repeated prostate biopsies. If tests indicate cancer has become active, treatment options are offered. The major risk of active surveillance is that the cancer could become active during the period of surveillance, potentially making prognosis worse.

Side effect reporting

When thinking about side effects, it’s important to understand that patients don’t always talk openly with their doctors about the impact treatment has had on their quality of life — or sometimes, doctors don’t ask. The following studies are just a sampling of the patient-reported data that have been published, which may provide a more accurate assessment of side effects.

Fecal incontinence. A telephone survey of 227 men with prostate cancer revealed that 5% of those who underwent radical prostatectomy and 18% of those who had a perineal prostatectomy developed fecal incontinence afterward. Yet fewer than 50% told their physicians. (Source: Bishoff JT, Motley G, Optenberg SA, et al. Incidence of Fecal and Urinary Incontinence Following Radical Perineal and Retropubic Prostatectomy in a National Population. Journal of Urology 1998;160:454–8. PMID: 9679897.)

Erectile dysfunction. A mailed questionnaire returned by 1,236 men with localized prostate cancer who had undergone either prostatectomy or radiation therapy revealed that 36% had erectile dysfunction at the time of diagnosis. Yet when contacted an average of four years after treatment, more than twice as many men (85%) said they had erectile dysfunction. Only 13% were able to have firm, reliable erections spontaneously. Respondents indicated that they were as concerned about the loss of sexual desire and the ability to have an orgasm as they were about erectile dysfunction. (Source: Schover LR, Fouladi RT, Warneke CL, et al. Defining Sexual Outcomes after Treatment for Localized Prostate Carcinoma. Cancer 2002;95:1773–85. PMID: 12365027.)

Urinary incontinence. A retrospective analysis based on Medicare claims submitted by 11,522 men who underwent prostatectomy for prostate cancer found that more than one year after surgery, 18%–24% (the proportion increased with age) had suffered symptoms of urinary incontinence or had undergone procedures to correct urinary difficulties. (Source: Begg CB, Riedel ER, Bach PB, et al. Variations in Morbidity after Radical Prostatectomy. New England Journal of Medicine 2002;346:1138–44. PMID: 11948274.)

Rectal cancer risk. A retrospective analysis of the outcomes of 30,552 men who received radiation for prostate cancer found that they were almost twice as likely to develop rectal cancer as a comparison group of 55,263 men who treated their cancer with surgery. (Source: Baxter NN, Tepper JE, Durham SB, et al. Increased Risk of Rectal Cancer after Prostate Radiation: A Population-Based Study. Gastroenterology 2005;128:819–24. PMID: 15825064.)
That was all quoted from here:


So...which of the three groups of men do you see yourself choosing to join?

The active surveillance group that had no life-altering, humiliating consequences?...or have you nothing against adult diapers, a sexless future, and all the rest? 

╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟

You have probably known people who were always developing nosebleeds for essentially no conceivable reason ─ sometimes the bleeds looked rather severe, too.

Well, none of those people likely had a hereditary condition called hemorrhagic telangiectasia, but a study was recently performed which found that a saline spray easily matched  medications used to control such bleeding ─ and of course, the saline spray came with no ill side-effects.

Maybe the spray trick can work for nosebleeds in anyone?

If you are curious about the study and its potential general application, here are a couple of reports on it:



╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟╟

Researching that section on prostate cancer just sucked away what little afternoon I had, so I am going to close off now with this 41-year-old entry from my journal back when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The small unit was being rented in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.
SATURDAY, October 4, 1975

I tried to keep my amount of sleep minimal, and got up about 10:00 a.m.

Just as I was finishing the last of my final pancake, Bill knocked; he invited and insisted I go to the smorgasbord.

I did, and achieved a fill unequaled for some time.

He said Mark & Cathy really had a terrible battle last night; and no one is going to Barriere.  

Bill is still off work with his cut fingers.

I am very tired today, from lack of sleep.

While at Royal Square, I mailed the order for Bill's Christmas gift of a Western & Olympic lottery ticket, having gotten his address from him.

I so seriously overate I had to abandon my exercise session.

It seems my room here has a mouse.

Bedtime:  10:00 p.m.

Boy, am I full!
I hadn't gotten to bed the night prior until about 3:00 a.m.

My old friend William Alan Gill and I often got together on weekends, and a smorgasbord located in a shopping plaza at McBride Boulevard & Eighth Avenue in New Westminster often figured into our conviviality.

I now don't know if Royal Square was the shopping plaza, or if it is another development right nearby.

Whatever the case, the smorgasbord may have been called Country Boy's, and might have previously been Family Smorgasbord; it was originally Swedana.

My younger brother Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther were to have gone to Barriere with my mother Irene Dorosh and her husband Alex.  But I am unsure if I meant that neither Mark nor Jeanette were going, or if the trip was off for all concerned ─ I suspect that the former scenario was the situation.

As for the Christmas gift of both a Western Lottery ticket and an Olympic Lottery ticket that I was mail-ordering for Bill, Jeanette and my mother had hatched up the plan for us to draw  names for Christmas gift-giving, instead of each of us worrying about a number of gifts.

I didn't actually participate in the draw ─ someone drew on my behalf, and I was told that "I" had drawn Bill's name.

Mark and Jeanette seemed to be fighting a lot ─ just how close was their permanent break-up, I wonder? 

Jeanette and her two little girls had become like family to my mother and Alex, myself, and even to Bill.  Losing them was to be deeply hurtful. 

I think that it was one of the worst choices my brother was ever to make.
Post a Comment