.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Intermittent Fasting and Cancer Prevention │ Study Claims Blood Pressure and Statin Medications Do Not Increase Cognitive Decline │ Why a High-Calorie Diet Is Difficult to Break

As reported yesterday, my wife Jack showed up around 4:00 p.m. and was soon napping; and later she took both of her sons (and the youngest one's girlfriend) out to supper somewhere ─ I declined to go.

They returned with some leftovers.  I had a little of those later in the evening, along with a stalk each of kale and red-stemmed chard (it tasted almost like a beet stalk) ─ gotta do what I can to keep my gut biota happy!

Despite her nap, Jack went to bed before my working younger brother Mark did that evening.  After he retired to his bedroom, I soon turned off the T.V., but must have gotten involved with something here at my computer, for it seems to me that it was just after midnight when I joined Jack in bed.

I had a dream-riddled night, often finding myself awake and trying to rearrange my posture to encourage sleep's return.  Some nasal clogging figured into the complexity of it all.

As I was typing that paragraph, a snatch of dream just touched my recollection, and then faded entirely away.  The only bit of dream that I do recall involved what amounted to a lifting of all erectile limitations ─ a turn of events that I rather eagerly shared with Jack in the dream.

Anyway, I started my day just after 8:00 a.m.

It was raining with considerable intensity, and did so for much of the morning.  It is now 1:45 p.m., and I don't think the rain has ever entirely ceased.

My thoughts went out to my brother Mark who drives a large cargo truck, making pick-ups and deliveries throughout the day.

My youngest step-son Pote was alone in bed this morning ─ he must have taken his girlfriend away earlier.  But late in the morning, he drove off and brought her back home again.

I spent the morning compiling content into a new post I began yesterday at one of my six hosted websites.  I never expected to be able to do a full day's effort, but I did ─ Jack never got up until well into the noon-hour.

I had left my computer on overnight just in case she wanted to use it for her Facebook account, and it was apparent that she had.  She is a very troubled sleeper.

She headed off early this afternoon with Pote and Priyanka ─ I know not where.  But it has given me the opportunity to commence this post.

By the way, yesterday I stated that my AdSense account had accumulated nothing that day as of the commencement of my blog post, but the day ended with a showing of 3¢.  Today thus far:  the typical 1¢.

However, I received notification this morning that Skimlinks deposited $11.77 to my PayPal account.  I believe that this is the first time that I have ever built up enough funds in my Skimlinks account balance to merit a payout ─ and I have had an account with them for several years.

The payment is nice to have received, but it's clear that I'll not be getting an actual second income anytime soon.

On an entirely different matter, Jack ─ who left the evening of October 24 to visit her mother and family back in Nong Soong, Thailand; and only returned here to Canada on November 21 ─ may have been in Bangkok with her family on October 29 for a viewing of the late king's urn.

You can read about this event at Reuters.comThais gather at palace to view late king's funeral urn

I never thought to ask her about it, darn it!

Here are the first seven photos that she may have taken there:


╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠

I have already recently included information on the benefits of intermittent fasting where cancer prevention is concerned, but let's do so again.

I caution that there is no need to be dismissive just because the people studied were women who had experienced breast cancer.  I am confident that any cancer would likely react to fasting similarly:

Newsmax.com

BreastCancer.org

Medscape.com

HSIonline.com

I nearly do intermittent fasting anyway ─ in fact, I would be, apart from the drinks that follow my evening meal, and then my morning hot beverage that is well-sweetened and creamed (usually with liquid whipping cream).

Of late, I usually eat a light supper that may extend from 8:00 p.m. to 8:20 p.m.  I then have three or so ounces of hard liquor and usually three cans of strong (8% alcohol) beer over the remainder of my evening while watching T.V.

That hot beverage is first thing in my morning.  But my first actual meal may not be until the early afternoon.  Consequently, where solid food is concerned, I may go 17 hours without chewing any actual food.

Still, those various liquids do disqualify me as an intermittent faster, I realize.

😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

My stance on medications is clear, I think ─ I want nothing to do with any, and could never recommend anyone to take them in place of researching alternative solutions.

An extensive review of medications for lowering blood pressure and cholesterol found that ─ over 5.6 years ─ there was no difference in the degree of cognitive decline of those seniors taking the medications compared to seniors who took none.

I think that it was expected that there would be less cognitive decline in the seniors on medications, which rather baffles me.

These reports on the research are not too easy a read, and I rather feel that I have wasted my time digging into the topic:

TCTMD.com

CardioBrief.org

MDedge.com

At least the researchers are tickled that no one can claim that the medications actually caused any cognitive decline ─ a finding that I find suspect.

But that's me, isn't it?

😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

I have just read of a study published this past Spring that involved mice that were encouraged to overeat for a number of weeks. 

They became good at it.

Apparently there is a hormone that is produced in the cells of the small intestine; called uroguanylin, the hormone typically helps signal to the brain when we are full. 

When too many calories are consumed for too long a period of time, production of uroguanylin drops right off.  And it did not matter in the study if the mice were obese or thin overeaters ─ as long as excess calories were being consumed, the hormone's production was stalled, and the mice's brains were not being properly informed of being full.

Philly.com

MedicalNewsToday.com

It seems to me that this is another instance of where intermittent fasting could prove invaluable.

That first reference claimed that the "mice...ate a high-fat diet for 14 weeks" for purposes of the study.

Well, I referred to the study, and saw that the young mice were allowed to eat as much as they liked anytime they wanted from the ages of six weeks until they were 20 weeks of age. 

And then they were fed the following diet.
  • Diet 5010:  12.7% calories from fat, 58.5% calories from carbohydrates and 28.8% calories from protein
  • Diet 58Y1:  61.6% calories from fat, 20.3% calories from carbohydrates and 18.1% calories from protein
In studies of reversible uroguanylin loss, mice were either maintained on Diet 5010 or Diet 58Y1 for 18 weeks, or placed on Diet 58Y1 for 14 weeks and then switched back to Diet 5010 for 4 weeks. In studies with the ob/ob strain, mice were either allowed ad libitum feeding or restricted to 3 g day of Diet 5010 for 6 weeks.
In nutritional studies, ad libitum denotes providing an animal free access to feed or water, thereby allowing the animal to self-regulate intake according to its biological needs.

I find the overall description somewhat unclear.  Nevertheless, Diet 5010 is most definitely a high-carbohydrate diet ─ ideal for getting a human fat. 

Diet 58Y1 is high-fat, but we don't know what the fat source was.  If it was primarily trans fat, then it sure was not a healthy diet.  But the carbohydrate component equaled or exceeded the amount of protein.

For people, weight-loss seems to result on a high-fat (and very low-carbohydrate) diet comprised of saturated fats and healthy plant-derived fats such as coconut and virgin olive oils.

In fact, I seem to recall that we ought to try and limit our carbohydrates (in terms of calories) to 20% of our diet, with fats anywhere from 50% to 70% of our diet.

I personally do not like the idea of eating a 70% fat diet with 20% carbohydrates, because that would mean I would only have room for 10% of my calories from protein.  My liking would be to have the protein exceed the carbohydrates. 

But that's me ─ and I am vastly digressing. 

╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠╠

The rain did die off in the early afternoon, but it has become drastically colder out there.  My brother Mark had said last evening that he had heard we might have snow flurries by the weekend due to a cold front that is coming.

My wife Jack left a few minutes after 4:00 p.m. to return to Vancouver, and I of course saw her off ─ it was almost miserably cold out there.

I actually got a token good-bye kiss out of her!  I guess we've been comfortable company for one another since she has been home.

Here is where I close with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the rather cramped little affair in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

My big plan for the day was a hike out to 6038 Imperial Street in Burnaby to the apartment building where my father Hector was living with his girlfriend Maria Fadden.
SUNDAY, November 30, 1975

I got up at 6:30 a.m.

The ground has a couple inches of snow.

While watching TV last night, perhaps 8:10 p.m., a news bulletin said the postal strike was tentatively over; its 40th day!  But there may be no deliveries yet for a few days, even if it is over.

I am going to take some of my bread and some comics, as well as some tissue, over to dad's when I leave shortly before 10:00 a.m.

David was knocking as I readied to leave, and I think he surely knew I was here.

We easily received a half foot of snow.

It was comforting being at dad's, and I ate a  hearty spuddy chicken stew supper.

I lent dad $10.

They raved over my bread, so I wrote out the recipe as best as I remembered it at Marie's insistence.

I left perhaps 5:40 p.m., intending to shower and retire, and forget about TV; but after coming home, and paying my rent, I lost some of this resolve.

So I watched some TV; but I shall be in bed before 8:30 p.m.
I had baked bread the previous day ─ yeast-raised, and entirely from scratch.

The tissue was probably bathroom tissue.  My mother Irene Dorosh worked as an evening office janitress at Scott Paper (now Kruger Inc.) in New Westminster.  She often came across veritable windfalls of rolls of tissue that had been discarded because they had been selected as part of a tissue-control inspection, or else they were faulty culls.

My old friend Philip David Prince lived relatively nearby my room in New Westminster, so I usually tried to avoid his lengthy visits.  It didn't seem to me to be much of an inconvenience to him by doing so.  And with my trip all set to go, I didn't want to have him holding me up just because he was bored.

When my father was sober, he was the dearest man.  I loved his company ─ he was a comfort to be with.

Unfortunately, I never knew what I would find when I visited him and Marie.

Anyway, after that visit, I most likely hiked back to my room.  I seldom used a bus if the distance was reasonable for me to walk.
Post a Comment