.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Latest Astaxanthin Study │ Needless Scans and X-Rays for Low Back Pain Is the Norm │ On Arthritis Pain, the Mediterranean Diet, and Olive Oil

Around 9:00 p.m. last evening as my younger brother Mark and I were home alone watching T.V., I noticed a car pull into our driveway that was not my eldest step-son Tho's.

His younger brother had the car, but both had been away all day after each left for work that morning.

Well, in came Tho ─ and he was with his mother.  She had decided to come home after all ─ she had phoned me from Vancouver on Tuesday evening to say she was obligated to help one of her friends with something, and thus would not likely be home until today.

She had just gotten back on Monday from visiting her family in Thailand, having left Canada on the evening of October 24 ─ a four-week absence from Canada.

So last night was the first that we have seen of her since her return.

She had soon set about cleaning up the kitchen that he sons slopped up, and also got involved in some cooking.

It was around 1:00 a.m. last night when I saw that she had finally gone to bed, so I followed suit.

It was a blustery night outside, with some light rain.  But Jack isn't accustomed to the cool, and we leave a number of upstairs windows open ─ including the bedroom and the bathroom.

I know she is sleeping poorly.  At some point in the night, she used the bathroom and I then got up and did the same.

I considered rising for the day at 7:02 a.m., but it made me feel guilty; so I opted to remain in bed and try for a little further sleep.

Some did come; it was around 8:38 a.m. when next I checked the time and finally rose.  I had been doing considerable dreaming over the latter part of my night.

Anyway, it is now 1:00 p.m., and Jack is still in bed.  Both of her sons went to work this morning.

I was able to get some work done on a new post I started at one of my hosted websites yesterday, but of course I won't be getting out to do some local shopping that I wanted to perform. 

Once Jack gets up, I likely will not be doing much blogging.

By the way, my AdSense account is keeping pace with the advance of the month; today is November 24, and my balance is showing as 24¢ for November thus far.  In other words, I am averaging a penny a day.

By comparison, last year for the same period, I had earned 59¢.

Should not things like this improve over time?

Google only pays out when the balance hits $100.  I did the math, if this penny-a-day trend was to be maintained.  It would be over 27 years before $100 was amassed.

I am now 67 years old.  

Google may not have to pay out that next $100!

╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞

A supplement that I wish I could afford is astaxanthin.  I had started to take it towards the finish of my working life; but once the realities of living on my limited retirement pension became apparent, it was one of the supplements that I had to drop.

Another was CoQ10 ─ the ubiquinol form. 

Thus it is that I have deep regrets any time I read about studies such as the one that the following report is focused upon:

NutraIngredients-Asia.com

Now, Wikipedia says this about sources for astaxanthin:
Astaxanthin is found in microalgae, yeast, salmon, trout, krill, shrimp, crayfish, crustaceans, and the feathers of some birds. It provides the red color of salmon meat and the red color of cooked shellfish.
What the article should say is that "it provides the red color of wild salmon meat" ─ for if you did not know, farmed salmon meat is greyish.  For marketing purposes, they are fed a dye.

No one wants to buy grey-fleshed salmon.  But that's precisely what the consumer IS buying when he or she buys farmed salmon.

😈😈😈😈😈😈😈

I just recently included some information concerning a review of physicians in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) which found that most of them would recommend something like an MRI or a CT scan for a patient complaining of lower back pain, even though it is broadly known that doing so is needless and unnecessary.

And of course, physicians in private practice are no different.

Let's look at this topic again.

Here are a few reports on that VA review:

Reuters.com

PainScience.com

IHPI.uMich.edu

There were some plausible excuses as to why doctors recommend the scans even though they know better, but isn't it a mystery that none of the reasons given was that there is cash to be made by having them done?

This is NewMarketHealth.com's advice for anyone experiencing lower back pain who is off to see a doctor:
...Instead of heading off to your doctor's office thinking getting one of these tests is a given, a better approach (if one is ordered) would be to ask him these two questions:
  1. Do I really need this test?
  2. Could this problem improve on its own?
You might be surprised by the answer!

Also, chiropractic care and activities such as walking, yoga, or physical therapy might be all you need to stop the pain… and keep it from coming back.
😈😈😈😈😈😈😈

An evaluation was done of arthritis-sufferers who were put on a Mediterranean diet, and the conclusion that was arrived at was that there was an association with better quality of life and decreased pain, disability, and depressive symptoms.

This report on the study also offers a 14-point questionnaire that you can use to determine how close your own diet is to a Mediterranean diet, and where your weaknesses are:

PeoplesPharmacy.com

I am not doing well, apparently.

Once again, NewMarketHealth.com had advice to offer:
Here are the basics:
  • Eat at least two servings of veggies a day.
  • Try to cut down on red meat, while upping servings of fish.
  • Add a variety of nuts to your meals (or snacking sessions!).
  • Ditch drinking sodas and eating processed foods like cookies and candy.
  • Ban those Frankenfood oils, canola and corn, from your kitchen. Start using olive oil instead as your main cooking fat -- and add it to other foods as well, such as salads, rice and even popcorn!
Think of olive oil as much more than just something to cook with or use in salads. Studies have found it can lower you risk of heart disease, stroke, dementia and even breast cancer. It's a powerhouse of nutrition that has also been found to slash your risk of developing type 2 diabetes!

But getting high-quality olive oil is often easier said than done.

Some brands are diluted with cheap oils, or so old and rancid they've lost all their nutritional value and could even be bad for you. Since you can't take advantage of all the Mediterranean Diet has to offer without good quality olive oil, here are three tips to get your olive's worth:

Tip #1: Never buy the "light" or "extra light" varieties of olive oil.

Tip #2: Good olive oil doesn't just come from Italy! Australia has received high grades for its extra virgin oil and California also produces some excellent, "certified extra virgin" olive oil.

Tip #3: Only buy brands that list a "harvest date" on the label and look for the one bottled most recently.
Concerning the olive oil, you can also benefit from the following report:

FoodRenegade.com

There is a great companion piece on that report that you can read at DrMicozzi.comThe scandal sweeping through supermarket aisles all across the country.

╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞╞

My wife Jack went off for an extended time to shop and do whatever else it is that she does when she goes out, and as a consequence I was able to put together the previous section.

She returned towards 5:40 p.m., and it has been raining for quite some while.

I am going to close out now with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the small affair in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

For the prior three nights, I had been sleeping at the home of my younger brother Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther ─ they had gone to Calgary to enjoy the Grey Cup celebrations, and I was needed to look after their German shepherd Daboda.

Mark and Jeanette were then living on Bentley Road in Whalley.  The house was quite near to 108th Avenue & King George Highway. 

I had been walking back and forth from my room to their home, and updating my journal any time I was back at my place.

I see that I was going to pay a visit to see my mother Irene Dorosh ─ she and her husband Alex were living in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey.  And although their little house no longer exists, its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue.

Their home was roughly 4¼ miles from Mark & Jeanette's home.
MONDAY, November 24, 1975

I arose and soon finished the last of the previous eve's meal.

I visited mom, and continued my gluttonous trend.

She said she & Alex are going to trip to Reno a week come the week-end.  So, if Phyllis (without a home at month's end) doesn't stay at mom's when they go, Bill & I will go there to bake the bread we scheduled to get together for come Saturday.

I grew very tired after 2:30 p.m., and could not have gotten by without my lie-down.

Coming back to Mark's at 4:00 p.m., I bought 4 cans of the usual Triple-V ─ or Tri-V ─ dog food (2 for 69¢) and a ½ lb of butter at High-Low.

Bed at 8:30 p.m.
Perhaps I brought my journal to Mark & Jeanette's home to have it there to update, for I apparently never ventured to my room in New Westminster that day. 

Phyllis is my older maternal half-sister.  And William Alan Gill (Bill) is my old friend who was also living in New Westminster quite near to my room, and who had a car.  He and I usually got together on the weekends.

Evidently poor Daboda and I were not left an adequate supply of canned dog food, so I had to buy some ─ it was probably a brand from Tri V Pet Foods.  If I spelled the name of the store correctly, I think High-Low was part of a small supermarket chain.

Okay, it is 6:15 p.m. now ─ I had better proofread and then publish this, and go and be with my wife Jack who is downstairs cooking.  We have not spoken together since she has gotten back from shopping.
Post a Comment