.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Friday, November 11, 2016

Study Proves DHA Preserves Cognition and Brain Volume │ One Year Following Total Hip Surgery: Still No Improvement in Activity │ 'Blue Zone' Diets for Longevity

This has been a regrettable day thus far as I sit here at 1:38 p.m. typing.

I had planned on trying to attend a Remembrance Day memorial outside the Canadian Legion in Whalley late this morning, but I failed to sleep well ─ primarily due to clogging nasal passageways.

When I gave up trying to sleep shortly after 5:00 a.m., and rose to engage in efforts to avail clearance, I thereafter sat here at my computer and worked at the edit of an old post at my Siam-Longings website ─ I had been working on that edit since last Sunday.

Then, with eyes burning, I returned to bed around 7:45 a.m.

Sleep was superficial and broken, and when next I checked the time, it was something like 10:13 a.m.  There was no chance I would be getting away.  I was feeling almost as poorly-slept as I had when I made that return to bed.

Besides, I needed my morning's hot beverage, and the Legion was better than a 1½-mile walk.

I am at least grateful that there was none of the predicted rain.  Those who did attend the various ceremonies hereabouts had good weather ─ overcast, yes, but rain-free.

My younger brother Mark was home as well, but he tuned in a telecast of the memorial taking place in Vancouver

I had been working on that edit of the old September 24, 2012, post, but I went downstairs towards 11:00 a.m. to witness the memorial proceedings and do some reflection.

And then I got back at the post ─ I never finished and got it published until about midway through the noon-hour:  Isan Language.


But there are other matters weighing upon me ─ a prime one that helped disturb my sleep is one that I cannot at this time divulge, but it relates to my wife Jack presently visiting her mother, family, and friends over in Thailand.  

Her mother lives in Nong Soong, very near to Udon Thani (city)

Also bothering me is that I have done absolutely no exercising today ─ I sacrificed it for that outing I have not had.  For once the Remembrance Day memorial was done, I had intended to continue on to the government liquor store at 108th Avenue & King George Boulevard, and lug home the two dozen cans of beer I wanted to buy. 

Bearing a dozen cans of beer in each hand for the two-mile hike home is fair exercise, believe me.

I may yet endeavour to tackle that acquisition, but it is always difficult for me to venture anywhere once the afternoon starts progressing.  I have basically been waiting for my brother Mark to take off for the afternoon, but he tuned in the movie The Martian and is sitting through that.

I can hear the credits playing now, however, so he will probably either seek a bit of a nap, or else he will ready and head on out.  In either case, no one else is home ─ my youngest step-son Pote had to work, and his older brother Tho took off for somewhere just before I commenced this post. 

So we'll see ─ maybe I can salvage that activity, at least.

╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣

Well, go I did!

I actually felt rather good out there.

I left the house at 3:25 p.m., and at my half-way point ─ Surrey Place (Central City) in my four-mile round-trip hike ─ I mailed a payment to crooked Rogers Wireless.  

Even when I mail my payment a week ahead of time, the thieves still hit me up for a late payment because the lazy pricks working there sit on the cheques before getting around to processing them after their due dates have passed.

I know they do this ─ my last two payments have seen this sort of fraud enacted.

Upon leaving Pearl Photo / Canada Post following that mailing, a very short distance on I coincided with my maternal cousin Brady ─ he's actually the 40s-something oldest son of my cousin Randy.

So that held us both up from our errands.

It was just about dusk when I finally got to the government liquor store.

I bought my two dozen cans of beer, and set upon my way for home.  There were a couple of separate hookers patrolling 105th Avenue between City Parkway and University Drive.

I used that very route, but was on the opposite side of the street when I passed them both by.  The first one was dressed in dark clothes, and coughing, hacking, and spitting ─ quite an unpalatable display, really.

The other gal was farther on, and in the gloom struck me as being rather attractive ─ a fair blonde wearing nearly knee-high socks, with her bare thighs on display beneath her short skirt.

Juxtaposed to the first gal, this one radiated wholesomeness.

But I passed on by without a turn of the head or word of acknowledgment to her on the opposite side of the street, even though I certainly wished her well.

I just did not wish to find myself engaged in conversation ─ I didn't have the time, nor the resources.  

I wish that I did.

I was back at my front door at 5:15 p.m.  No one was yet home.

I am now enjoying my second hot beverage of the day.  All I have eaten today has been a wedge of cheese before my outing.

╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣

A year-long study that pitted two grams (2,000 milligrams) of DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) against the same amount of corn oil, administered to two groups of seniors, found that the DHA-boosted seniors had sharper cognitive function, and even less shrinkage of the brain's very important hippocampus region.

I am very short on time, so I could only find one report on the study ─ of which only the abstract is available for free.  


This is the one report I was able to locate:

JacksDailyDose.com

The fish oil supplements I take twice a day (usually) only contain 120-mgs of DHA, so I would need to take 16 or 17 of them to achieve 2,000-mgs in a day.

However, as yet ─ at the age of 67 ─ I am not overly concerned about my cognitive state.   

🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻

This has got to be discouraging news for anyone contemplating hip surgery:  "Physical activity does not increase in the first year following total hip replacement."


For anyone interested in reading a little more about the study, here are two reports on it:

Telegraph.co.uk

ScienceDaily.com

I didn't have time to dig deep and learn if mobility was finally enhanced after a year...or two...or longer.

🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻🐻

Ever hear of a Blue Zone?  

As that Wikipedia link will explain, it is one of the various regions of the world where groups of people live unusually long.

Is diet largely a contributing factor?

Check out this report, if it interests you:

CNN.com

I wish I could have some fun with this topic, but I have got to move on....

╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣╣

I must close now, so here is a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The house I was renting the tiny space in was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

My bedtime the evening prior to this entry was 7:00 p.m.
TUESDAY, November 11, 1975

I awoke about 1:45 a.m. and considered making the start of my morning, and go jogging, but chose instead to pursue further sleep.

About 3:00 a.m. ─ later, actually ─ I arose and set off at near 3:30 a.m. for the run.  But after only a couple blocks, my lack of suppleness, sense of cold, and sore calves sent me back home.

However, after my leg-raises, I set off about 4:00 a.m. or so and managed to get a dozen plodding, graceless laps completed; there was some rain.

I got to the laundromat before it opened, and had the place to myself until someone came in during my drying; the store hadn't opened early, this being Remembrance Day.

Back at home I set about the repair of my sun lamp; it now seems to work fine ─ except I cannot turn it off.

From the laundromat I brought home a listing for a "like new" $40 12" TV set I might pass on to dad.

I went to the Blue Bird after 10:00 a.m., but found no comics.

After 1:00 p.m. I left to register on Blackford for the election; thereafter, Wong's had no comics for me either.

Boy, my calves are sore today!

I am going to retire about 6:40 p.m. tonight.
My jogging was generally done at the track over at New Westminster Secondary School.

The laundromat was ─ I think ─ right near the public library on Sixth Avenue, and thus fairly close to Seventh Street.   

I was a huge Marvel comics fan, although I was cutting back drastically because prices were climbing.

I often mentioned the Blue Bird store, but I now have no memory of the place.  Wong's was a little store on Sixth Street, probably around Third or Fourth Avenue.  Blackford Street where I went to register to vote was located midway between Third and Fourth Avenues, but I have no memory now of just what building I would have gone to.

It was clearly a rather quiet day, if a reasonably active one. 
Post a Comment