.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Sunday, December 11, 2016

A Few of My Wife Jack's Photos of Ayutthaya

At this moment it is 4:30 p.m., and I am so bagged I can barely even sit here ─ I want to lie down, but I know it would likely be for far too long.

I had a small cheque from my younger brother Mark to deposit ─ the monthly reconciliation of household expenses as he understands them.

So I decided that I would hike over to Coast Capital Savings over by the King George SkyTrain Station, and then continue on to the government liquor store at 108th Avenue & King George Boulevard here in Whalley.

The soggy snow all around here was something of an impediment insofar as pace was concerned.

It was 12:38 p.m. when I set out.

I did the deposit at the ATM, but I did not want to be burdened with the usual two dozen cans of beer that I would have normally bought at the liquor store.  Walking was troublesome enough.

So I settled on just a dozen of the cans of strong (8% alcohol) beer that I normally seek, plus a 750-ml bottle of rye whisky.  I am in long supply where beer is concerned ─ I have over seven dozen.  I was just doing the trip to keep myself from getting too soft.

Overall, because of the stop at the credit union, the entire trip was maybe 4¼ miles in total.

But I didn't come into the house once I was back here.  Instead, I got to work shoveling soaked snow and ice from the driveway.

There was extremely light rain at times, so it was definitely mild out there.  But I was determined because on T.V. last night, Mark and I caught a local weather report that declared that we are in for a long-standing freeze.

In fact, we may not see temperatures rise above the freezing level until into the New Year.

So I don't know how early into the coming week this cold will strike us, but I want to try and clear off Mark's side of the driveway and also clear the snow and ice from the sidewalk fronting our property.

I managed the former, but the latter will have to wait.

It was 3:57 p.m. when I was ready to come into the house.  My eldest step-son Tho had come out and driven off while I was working, and I nurtured thoughts of preparing one of my well-spiced and delicious slow-cooked ground beef and chopped vegetable dishes.

I did not realize that my youngest step-son was still home ─ I thought that he likely had gone to work.  But no ─ he was seated at the boys' computer in their den area where Pote sleeps.

My ground beef supply is a secret, buried away in the freezer that can only be accessed by a sliding glass door right at the head of Pote's bed ─ in fact, I would have to walk between the computer and the bed to get to that door.

So retrieval of the ground beef was out of the question ─ I do not want the lads to know of my stash.  They've both got jobs and can buy their own damned meat ─ I'm a 67-year-old pensioner.

The older lad is especially meat-oriented because he has been building muscle the past couple of years ─ if he knew of my secret stash buried within the freezer, at some point some of it would start disappearing.

Incidentally, I left the side of the driveway un-shoveled that Tho and Pote use (to get Tho's car into our open dual carport where Tho's car parks).  The buggers can get off their asses and do something like shoveling for themselves.

But I won't be having much of a supper without that ground-beef ─ and supper will be my first meal of the day.  All I have consumed today have been my two hot beverages.

I don't understand how it is that Pote is here at home so infernally often ─ he's got two jobs in the retail field at shops over in Guildford, so weekends should be irrelevant.  In fact, how does he even have any days off at all with two jobs?

It drives me to intense aggravation.

Anyway, such has been my day.

I didn't embark on that outing without a nap first, for I had spent a good part of the morning putting content into the post I have been working on since Friday at one of my six hosted websites.

That just about always drains me due to my poor eyesight, and the hunched posture I have to assume on this metal chair I sit on while pounding away at a too-low keyboard ─ it's down at my knees.

I could have probably gotten to bed last night before 11:00 p.m. ─ it was looking as if I would.

But my brother Mark came home unexpectedly ─ he usually stays at his girlfriend Bev's residence on Saturday nights.  Perhaps they were bickering.

Whatever the case, I felt I should be sociable and watch one more programme on our Android TV Box.  So I tuned in Westworld.

I glanced over at Mark ─ and he was already passed out.

I cancelled the episode, put the T.V. back onto the news, and went to bed.  I am sure that it was probably no later than 11:15 p.m.

Hark!  The drama has finished ─ just after 5:00 p.m., my two step-sons went out together in Tho's car.  I have no doubt that Pote will be returning with his girlfriend to spend the night here with him, but I got my chance to create my delicious ground beef feed.

It is slow-cooking on the stove as I type:  heavily well-spiced regular ground beef, chopped potato, chopped turnip, 'baby' carrots, mushrooms, a number of garlic cloves, and six frozen red hot chili peppers that I also chopped up.

It will be an evening of good eating after all.

I would now like to post some photos from the trip my wife Jack enjoyed when she left Canada on a flight very early in the a.m. of October 25, and did not return to Canada until the evening of November 21 ─ she had gone back to Thailand to see her mother and other family members for the first time in over 3½ years.

Jack's family home is in Nong Soong, a very large village maybe a 15-minute drive from Udon Thani.

The family was able to get free train passage from Udon Thani to Bangkok in order to be part of the thousands who gathered on the first day (October 29) that the Grand Palace was opened to the public to file in and view the funeral urn of the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Apparently on October 30, Jack and some of her family went on to Ayutthaya ─ Jack had never before been there, and she wanted to finally see the famous ruins.   .

I haven't been able to ask Jack any questions concerning the following photos, so I will be just about as unfamiliar with what will be on display as will you. 


And I will stop here ─ there are just too many more to post now.

╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒╒

I finish off now with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the little affair in a house located on Ninth Street, just one or two houses up from Third Avenue.

The evening prior to this entry, I had gone to bed at 7:00 p.m.
THURSDAY, December 11, 1975

I had lots of trouble falling asleep last night; I got up at 1:30 a.m.

At 4:00 a.m. I left for my slow 12 laps; the night was chill, clear, and windless.

I went to Woodward's and bought a $3 money order for a Western Lottery ticket; this one I shall order from North Vancouver's Big 4 Amateur Football Conference.

Coming home, I stopped in at the Free Methodist Hall Church and voted for NDP Dennis Cocke.

I lied down to nap about 11:50 a.m. and arose about 2:20 p.m.

I retire for good tonight at 7:00 p.m.
Those very early laps were run at the New Westminster Secondary School track.

Woodward's used to be located on Sixth Avenue where the Royal City Centre Mall now is.

As I have often explained, lottery tickets had to be mail-ordered.  Stores never sold them as all stores seem to do today, and there were no lottery booths.

As for my voting place, I likely went to the First Free Methodist Church ─ it was only a block or so from where I lived.
Post a Comment