.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Monday, December 26, 2016

Boxing Day: 2016 and 1975

It was nice having my younger brother Mark's girlfriend Bev here yesterday, and on through most of today.  The three of us watched a number of emotional Christmas movies via our Android TV Box, and the drinks started late in the morning as we all spiked our hot beverages.

I received a most curious E-mail that my older half-sister Phyllis sent me ─ apparently at 7:24 a.m.  I hadn't heard from her in some weeks.

This was her message:
Just sending greetings of the season and hope all is Peaceful and good in your world!
I got married to the man from US on Oct 18 this year, then we took a Panama cruise, and returned at 10th of Nov. We spent several weeks in Mesquite NV, then came home, here a couple of weeks ago.  I haven't been in touch because 2 days after returning, the snow came and Bob fell down. I've only had 2 days to myself, but have been running back and forth to hospital all this time.
Bob is in hospital after falling backward - nothing is broken, but he has 'soft tissue' damage and can't walk, so is in care until he can get mobile again.
That about brings us up to date on my life - I notice all your emails are relating to animals, but nothing personal. What is going on with you and Mark and family?

sending love and a hug for all you,
Phyllis
I never had time to respond today.

My wife Jack showed up from Vancouver as she said that she would ─ she arrived around 3:00 p.m.  The poor thing thought that we were having our Christmas dinner today.

Her arrival completed the last of the gift exchanges.

I had expected that Mark and Bev would be remaining home all evening to watch further Christmas movies together, but right around 5:00 p.m. Mark asked her if she wanted to go to the bar she works at, and so they got ready and left.

Jack had gotten busy and was doing some cooking, including making something of the turkey leftovers.

Mark eventually returned later that evening ─ I had wondered if maybe he would spend the night at Bev's home, but no.

He finally went up to his bedroom for the night, and I sat up waiting for Jack to decide to turn in.  I didn't much want another late night, but there was no choice about it.  Both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day I had failed to get to bed until around 2:30 a.m., but at least this time it was to be something like 1:30 a.m.

By the way, there was only one photo taken during Christmastime ─ this one that I took on Christmas Day during the noon-hour, and featuring Mark and Bev:


I haven't much else to say concerning Boxing Day, so perhaps I will simply finish this post with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the small space in a house located on Ninth Street, a house or two up from Third Avenue. 
FRIDAY, December 26, 1975

I finally got up about 10:40 a.m., though all the morning wasn't spent in deep sleep.

I later finished typing up Ron a letter.

My foot is still a casualty warranting care.

I have fallen behind, as of today, on my exercising.

I ate 2 small cheese rolls with some of my own bread and butter, and found great difficulty resisting the urge to eat even more of Jean's gift to me.

I've thought quite a lot on how wonderful it is congregating with loved ones on a festive occasion; I've said it often enough before, but if God will only let me win a lottery and escape the pressures society forces on me, I'll never be a source of regret to Him for His merciful and generous act.

I bed at 7:00 p.m.
The letter I was involved in typing was to Ron Bain, an American pen-pal

Another U.S. pen-pal ─ Jean M. Martin (née Black) ─ had sent me a Christmas gift box of various appetizers.

My foot was injured from a long run I had undergone several days earlier while wearing boots.  The sensation was as if I had dislocated one of the tiny bones in that foot.

It would appear that I spent the day entirely alone.  I could have gone with my brother Mark and his girlfriend to visit my father Hector that day, but I had recently engaged in a huge fight with his girlfriend Maria Fadden.  And since my father and she shared an apartment together in Burnaby, I had opted not to go.

By the way, I am still waiting to win a lottery these 41 years later.
Post a Comment