.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Many Cancer Drugs on the Market Proven Ineffective and Harmful │ America's Lamentable 21st Century Cures Act │ The Low-Fat Diet Lie

Recollection fails me ─ I am unsure if I was in bed before midnight last night, or not.

Around 5:00 a.m., I rose to clear out my clogging nasal passageways.  Not too much sleep visited thereafter.

It may have been approaching 8:30 a.m. when I rose for the day.  Youngest step-son Pote was up.  He had his girlfriend overnight, and must have seen her off or drove her somewhere earlier this morning.

At one point as I worked on the new post I have going at one of my hosted websites, I was certain that he had left to probably catch a bus to take him to work.

But late in the morning, I saw him asleep in his bed.

By the way, it is snowing ─ it has been ever since the break of day, I expect.  At least the frozen ice and snow that we had is easier to walk on now that it's covered over with fresh snow.

My younger brother Mark had come home shortly after mid-morning from his girlfriend Bev's residence where he had spent last night, and he was into his bedroom before noon seeking a nap.

I wanted to go to do some shopping at Save-On-Foods ─ maybe 1¼ miles distant here in Whalley.  But by the time the noon-hour had arrived, I had almost talked myself out of it ─ until I remembered that I had forsaken any morning exercising in order to justify undertaking the excursion.

That essentially committed me.

By the time I had readied and left, it was 1:04 p.m.

My fingers felt quite cold on the hike to the store, and I sometimes had to put my hands into my coat pocket.  But oddly, on the return trip, there was no problem with cold at all ─ in fact, my hands were engorged with warm blood, and I was almost over-warm in my coat.

How is that?

I was back comfortably ahead of 2:30 p.m.  Mark was gone.

I often speak of the alleyway right beside our house here in the cul-de-sac where we live ─ it is a short-cut to the nearby main avenue, and is blocked off in two places to prevent cars and trucks from using it.

On my outward journey, I took this photo from near the start of the alleyway, capturing the fence and back and right side of our home:


I don't know why my Canon PowerShot SD880 IS camera has so much trouble drawing in enough light to offer a bright photo ─ there is no shortage of starkly white snow about.

Awhile after I was back home, I took these additional four photos from behind the living room window, looking out towards the cul-de-sac:





Google has since created this panorama from those four photos:


Rather nicely done!

"Mixed precipitation" is to commence in the evening, however; and overnight, "rain, at times heavy."

By the way, in checking my AdSense account just before commencing this post, I was almost delighted to see that I had accumulated 30¢ in my balance today ─ and all of it from my hosted website My Retirement Dream.

That is more than I had earned in all of the previous portion of this month!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

I occasionally read the claim that many medical professionals state that they would not submit themselves to conventional cancer treatments if they developed cancer ─ they know too darned well how harmful and ineffective the treatments are.

A recent study has found that many of the drugs presently on the market to supposedly treat cancer "don’t save lives and don’t improve quality of lives."  

Of one group of 18 cancer medications, "none of the drugs had been found to prolong life."

Yet they are on the market, and making the pharmaceutical companies who manufacture them very rich because none of the drugs are inexpensive.  

Read a report on the study for yourself, and try and remember it if you or a loved one are ever confronted with chemotherapy:

Reuters.com

The article was actually an indictment of the FDA for not only approving so many useless and harmful cancer medications, but allowing them to remain on the market and helping the manufacturers keep generating profits from them.

To quote researchers Tracy Rupp and Dana Zuckerman:
If a new cancer drug does not have a statistically significant [overall survival] or [quality of life] benefit, compared with the benefit of other drugs, physicians and patients must weigh the known risks and the costs of treatment choices. However, our analysis indicates that, even when postmarket studies show the new drugs to have no clinically meaningful benefit compared with placebo or observation, most drugs retain FDA approval and remain on the market at prices comparable to those of the most expensive cancer drugs. This situation adds to the skyrocketing costs of cancer care, Medicare, and other health care programs.
And costing lives through the use of essentially useless and even harmful treatments! 

As is stressed, just because one hears of some new breakthrough cancer medication getting approved, don't believe it until it has been around for a long time and has a proven pedigree of efficacy.

In addition, HSIonline.com had this to say back on December 12: 
...It looks like this mess is about to get even worse.

A few days ago, Congress passed the 21st Century Cures Act, which will put more drugs than ever on the fast track for FDA approval. Instead of full clinical trial data, many meds will now be able to get approved with only "data summaries" in their file folders.
😞😞😞😞😞😞😞

Now concerning that 21st Century Cures Act mentioned in the quote just above, Jack Harrison had a whole lot to say against it:

JacksDailyDose.com

The Los Angeles Times sounded their own warning:

LAtimes.com
“When American voters say Congress is owned by big companies,” Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), said from the floor last week, “this bill is exactly what they are talking about.”
😞😞😞😞😞😞😞

Dr. Marc S. Micozzi has a good companion piece to a published study titled Lowering the Bar on the Low-Fat Diet (doi: 10.1001/jama.2016.15473).

Only the first page of the study is offered there for free, but I sought the full study at Sci-Hub.ac and discovered that there is only one further (partial) page to the paper. 

This is Dr. Micozzi's commentary:

DrMicozzi,com

It was all a lie.  Sugar and carbohydrates were mostly to blame for the escalation in obesity and cardiac disease ─ not dietary fat.

This is a paragraph from the second page of that published study:
The focus on replacing dietary fat with carbohydrate did not achieve intended public health goals and arguably produced harm, but these adverse outcomes have not been clearly and consistently acknowledged. Consequently, many people in the United States still actively avoid eating fat. Indeed, national nutrition policy continues to promote fat reduction in schools (eg, by banning whole milk and allowing sugar-sweetened nonfat chocolate milk), in government food procurement programs, and in the line item for total fat on the Nutrition Facts label. According to a recent report regarding the sugar industry, the adverse cardiovascular effects of added sugar remain largely under-recognized because of an industry-sponsored research program in the 1960s and 1970s “that successfully cast doubt about the hazards of sucrose while promoting fat as the dietary culprit in CHD [coronary heart disease].”
Once it is accepted and believed, falsehood is extremely difficult to unlearn.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

I close now with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster

That small accommodation was being rented in a house located on Ninth Street, one or two houses up from Third Avenue.

I had gotten to bed the evening prior at 8:15 p.m. 

The big event of my day was to be a hike out to visit my mother Irene Dorosh in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey.

The home she shared with her husband Alex was my main mailing address; and although the little house no longer exists, its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue.

Normally, to hike there would take about 1½ hours from my room.
THURSDAY, December 18, 1975

I am sure it took me a couple hours last night to fall asleep; I got up a couple hours ─ no, minutes, above 5 ─ before 3:00 a.m.

It was announced the postage rate sometime early in the New Year will be raised from 8¢ to 10¢ or 11¢.

I posted the letters to Jean and Terri on my way to mom's this cold morning, leaving not too much past 8:00 a.m.

Alex was home, but he soon left, and was actually away most of the time I was there.

Mail there included another specious-type diet book ad from Parker Publishing Ltd; and the Fall book list (#114) from F&SF Book Co. 

In today's mail delivery was the Donald M. Grant flyer of books; and a letter from the F&SF Book Co. acknowledging my recent order.  Dawn Witter, the writer of the letter, said the books in stock I had ordered were sent the same day (Dec. 10) as the letter, but Golden Age of Fantasy and Merlin's Ring were to be delayed, being temporarily out of stock; and Spell Sword and Sword in the Stone are out of print, leaving me with $1.90 worth of credit.

Mom is indeed not working, having quit at the end of the month, I guess.  But she and Kay cinched employment directly from Scott Paper for early in 1976.

I ate enormously, my great downfall being doughnuts (white flour) she decided to make.  But fortunately, before she began them I bought the raw peanuts (1 lb. for 89¢) at the Spice-o-Life health food store.

I guess it was about 1:45 p.m. when Nell, Sandy, and Larry dropped in, visiting an hour and a half, anyway.

I didn't head for home till 4:45 p.m., being so full; by then I had had a bowl of chicken soup for supper, and of course, Sherry was home (she's been staying there).  When I left, it was with a large bag of doughnuts which I'll probably pass on to dad, as well as a mass of tissue.

Christmas dinner will be at mom's.

I have $9.

Bed at 7:45 p.m.

I now have the ½ lb. of butter I left at Mark's when they went to Calgary during Grey Cup.
I must have been sleepy when I wrote that first sentence.  I am sure that I meant that I got up that morning a couple of minutes before 2:55 a.m.

The two letters I mailed were to American pen-pals, neither of whom were related:  Jean M. Martin (née Black) and Terri Martin.   

The F&SF Book Co. gave as its address Box 415, Staten Island, NY 10302; I could research something about the defunct publisher, but I don't have the time.  I rather wish now that I had mentioned the names of the authors of the books I mentioned.

My mother had worked as an evening office janitress, and was going into partnership with her friend Kay Kris to take over duties at Scott Paper (now Kruger Inc.) in New Westminster.  When she worked there, she was always coming home with lots of paper products like toilet tissue that had either been pulled for quality inspection and then discarded, or else rolls of tissue that had been culled or rejected.

She could sure bake!  She made her bread and things like doughnuts from scratch, yeast-raising the dough.  Those doughnuts were just about irresistible ─ especially fresh from the cooking oil.  Sometimes she would just sugar them, but she could also glaze them ─ they were far superior to commercial glazed doughnuts.

Her visitors that day were her younger sister Nell Halverson, Nell's daughter-in-law Sandra Halverson, and Larry Ernest Blue ─ he was practically an adopted member of Nell's family, and was maybe four or so years younger than I was.

It was my older maternal half-sister Phyllis's daughter Sherry who was temporarily staying at my mother's home for some reason ─ maybe Phyllis was away on some trip.

My younger brother Mark or his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther must have bought the butter and left it with my mother for me ─ I had bought it and left at their home when I was tending their German shepherd Daboda during their absence to Calgary.

Christmas was coming, and I apparently had but $9 to my name.
Post a Comment