.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Moderate Drinking and HDL Preservation in Seniors │Uncomplicated Lower Respiratory Infections: No Treatment Necessary │ Mild, Moderate Ankle Sprains: No Physical Therapy Required

I was slightly hungover this morning, and may not have made it to bed last night until a little after midnight.  However, I could be wrong ─ perhaps I was in bed before midnight.  I don't remember.

It looked as if we may have had just a touch of frost overnight ─ at least on the portion of our roof that I could see.  I couldn't discern any on the lawn outside.

By the afternoon, though, there was some light rain.

I stuck to it and finally got the post published that I have been working on since Tuesday at my Latin Impressions website:  Healing Pendulum II

After the work I put into it, locating so much information on the things, I have become less skeptical about them.  If I had the disposable income, I would likely explore whether they do have any efficacy.

Not once have I been home alone today, but at least my eldest step-son Tho sprang for a couple of Camy's pizzas.  His younger brother Pote only buys Domino's pizzas because they are cheaper ─ that is certainly apparent to me in their taste.

Camy's pizzas are definitely superior.

I am going to turn on some Christmas lights this evening for the first time this Season.  I haven't quite got everything I thought that I needed out of the boys' den area when I had access to it for awhile Thursday afternoon.  I learned that as I was stringing up the lights this afternoon.

Pote had been away in his older brother Tho's car, and returned home with the girlfriend just as I was finishing up adorning an area just in front of the front door.  I will not likely have access to the den area today to seek that which I neglected to bring forth.

Well, according to my Google AdSense account, thus far in December I have earned 4¢.  Reportedly for the same period last year, I accumulated 9¢.

Nothing has shown up for today as yet, though.

I have been posting some photos from my wife Jack's recent trip back home to see her mother and family in Nong Soong, which is maybe a 15-minute drive from Udon Thani.

Jack had left Canada on the evening of October 24 to fly to Thailand, and returned November 21.

Evidently she and some of her family and friends seem to have attended the occasion of the viewing of King Bhumibol Adulyadej's fumeral urn in the Grand Palace ─ or at least, I think that is what the photos are all about.

This news account at IBTimes.co.uk can fill you in:  Thailand opens Grand Palace for mourners to see King Bhumibol's coffin.

The next batch I have appear to me to be taken at some sort of enormous tented cafeteria area.  There are far too many photos to post just now, so I will only present some at this time.

This sign probably identifies the 'food tent' (for want of a better description:


I have no idea what these plastic bags contain, nor what they are intended for:


Some views of the masses of people who had gathered:


I wonder if the food was for free?  If the government actually provided free transportation to many people in distant parts of Thailand to get to Bangkok, it does not seem too unreasonable that food might also be available for free ─ I will have to query my wife Jack when next she is home from Vancouver:


And just two more from that vast concession area:


There are many more photos taken in this area ─ too many to offer right now. 

╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧

Apparently as we grow older, our bodies produce less and less of the so-called 'good' cholesterol, the High-density lipoproteins (HDL)

As the Wikipedia article that I linked to explains, we most definitely want lots of HDL in our systems throughout life ─ and especially as we get older: 
Increasing concentrations of HDL particles are strongly associated with decreasing accumulation of atherosclerosis within the walls of arteries. This is important because atherosclerosis eventually results in sudden plaque ruptures, cardiovascular disease, stroke and other vascular diseases. HDL particles are sometimes referred to as "good cholesterol" because they can transport fat molecules out of artery walls, reduce macrophage accumulation, and thus help prevent or even regress atherosclerosis.
A recent study has found that very moderate drinking can actually minimize this diminishment in the amount of HDL that our ageing bodies so dearly need ─ these two reports on the study explain:

Independent.co.uk

Express.co.uk

Unfortunately for me, I do not adhere to any pint-a-day restriction.

My 'normal' consumption of late involves two or three ounces of hard liquor first; and then three cans of strong (8% alcohol) beer.  Last evening I had an additional can of moderately strong (6.4%) beer.

And of course, my younger working brother is far, far worse. 
 
😑😑😑😑😑😑😑

A recent study has determined that patients with an uncomplicated lower respiratory infection will recover just as fast if it is untreated as do patients who are prescribed antibiotics.

This report talks about the study:

Reuters.com

Obviously if the infection is of viral origin, then the antibiotic would be useless anyway, but the recovery times did not matter even when the infection was of bacterial origin.

As the study concludes:
Because the illness course of bacterial LRTI [lower respiratory tract infection] is generally mild, uncomplicated, and similar to that of nonbacterial LRTI, physicians can reassure patients that LRTI, even if bacterial, is a self-limiting condition, and that rather than immediately prescribing an antibiotic, a strategy of watchful waiting should be considered.
It definitely should!  And the patient can help him- or herself by going heavy on the vitamin D3 supplementation.

I think that if I was sick enough to merit it, I would up my daily intake to 10,000 I.U.s.

😑😑😑😑😑😑😑

I can't remember how many years it has been since I last had a sprained ankle ─ I was probably a young man.

Some research has come up with the evaluation that mild and moderate ankle sprains do not require physical therapy.

The following reports discuss the study:

NYtimes.com

Consumer.HealthDay.com

Telegraph.co.uk

QueensU.ca

I see that some outside experts on sprains offer dissenting opinion in a couple of those references, but they blab on about truly serious sprains.

The whole point of the study was that mild and moderate sprains do not require physical therapy ─ it was not speaking of far more serious sprains.

╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧

There have been some extremely heavy rains hereabouts late in the afternoon and very early evening.  I would not want to have been out there walking. 

And at just about 6:20 p.m., Tho answered the door and had a brief chat with a couple of Mormons who were here seeking my younger brother Mark.

Tho explained that Mark wouldn't likely be home until tomorrow (Mark usually spends Saturday nights at the home of his girlfriend Bev).

Had they known that I live here too, they would have been after me as well. 

Mark and I were baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints back around 1962.  At the time, our folks were both involved in the church, but our father soon enough bailed out.

I finally decided that I didn't want to continue attending, and in the Spring or Summer of 1964 declared to my mother that I was no longer going to go there with her.  I was 14 years old.

Mark was only 11 or 12, but he used me as an excuse and soon followed suit.

But those good folks never let any of the flock go without ongoing follow-ups designed to sway the lost back into the fold.

I am going to close now with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster

That small affair was being rented in a house located on Ninth Street near Third Avenue. 
WEDNESDAY, December 3, 1975

Up and red-eyed at 3:30 a.m.

The mail begins to move today, as all the post offices open.

I performed my 12 laps on a clear track in extremely mild weather.

I went to Woodward's and bought two money orders ($13 for lottery tickets; $17.96 for various gifts) and $4.96 worth of groceries.

Then to the library where I borrowed Animals of the World:  Europe by various folks (5), and Recipes for a Small Planet by Ellen Buchman Ewald.

I typed up Ron a letter.

Tonight, I bed at 6:50 p.m.
There had been a mail strike for about 43 days.  I probably felt a little cut off from the world because I had some pen-pals, and normally also did lots of mail-ordering. 

My running was done at the New Westminster Secondary School track.  I could only run there long before the start of any school, so that was part of why I was rising so early.

Woodward's used to be up on Sixth Avenue where the Royal City Centre Mall now is.  Evidently I was getting right back onto those mail-orderings.

Ron Bain was one of my U.S. pen-pals.  I wonder whatever became of him?
Post a Comment