.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Common Medications Causing Hearing Loss, Hospitalizations, and Dementia │ China's Rampant Food Safety Violations

It was around 8:20 p.m. last evening that my younger brother Mark showed up ─ without his girlfriend Bev.  She was supposed to be coming over to spend the night.

Apparently they got into a disagreement on the level of his inebriety ─ she felt it was excessive, and I expect that he felt she was the pot calling the kettle black.

I will leave it at that.

After a movie ended that I had tuned in ─ it was X-Men: Apocalypse ─ we watched a few episodes of Stan Against Evil.  In doing so, I had more liquor than I would otherwise have indulged in.

I expect that it was after 1:30 a.m. when we called it a night.

I seem to have slept soundly until something after 6:00 a.m. when I took a bathroom break and drank some water.  It was apparent that I was not going to have a hale morning.

I returned to bed and slept further; and it was 9:15 a.m. when I next checked the time.  It was time to rise and do some further work at my Siam-Longings website.

I was in rather poor shape.

Mark had risen an hour or so after I had.  But into the noon-hour, he was back in his room seeking a nap, and I soon resorted to my own bed for similar recovery.

He was gone for the afternoon when I got up.  I was too enfeebled for any exercising, so I opted to fix myself a small meal of the fare my wife Jack had prepared yesterday, which I enjoyed while watching the latest couple episodes of Last Man Standing..

My youngest step-son Poté ─ who had been home alone all this while after his girlfriend probably went to work early this morning ─ took off wordlessly in his older brother Tho's car, and was soon back again with his omnipresent girlfriend.

Tho has been away ever since he went to work Friday morning ─ he must have gone directly to his girlfriend's residence and remained there the weekend.

I wish to hell Poté would do something like that ─ I'm fed up with him and his girlfriend hanging around here all the bloody time.

My wife Jack is due home from Vancouver sometime today ─ she will be spending the night so that she can take Tho to court tomorrow for final judgment on being caught (back in November?) driving while under a driving suspension.

It will be an interesting day for him!

We're getting some rain today, at last.  However, it won't be washing away the snow and ice, for I believe that it is expected to develop into snow this evening or overnight.

But we shall see.

As far as I understand it, we have had at least a little snow on the ground ever since the first fairly light blanketing that we all arose to on the morning of December 5.  So it has been more than a month since the ground has been snow-free.

Let's turn our attention to something much warmer ─ a few more of the photos that my wife Jack took on (I think) October 30 last year when she returned to Thailand to visit her mother and other family members.

They had gotten free train passage from Udon Thani to Bangkok to join the thousands of people who hoped to be able to view the funeral urn of their late King Bhumibol Adulyadej ─ the Grand Palace was being opened up on October 29 for the people to line up and file past the urn.

Jack had stood in line for many hours on that day, but there was just too many people ─ the Grand Palace doors were closed before she got her turn.  However, her mother did get her opportunity ─ I think older people were favored.

Anyway, the following day the family decided to pay a visit to the Ayutthaya ruins ─ Jack had never before been there.

My thinking is that the photos I have been posting of late have been displaying the Wat Mahathat area, so here are some more from that sequence:




Here is Jack posing:







And that's enough for this post, I think.

φφφφφφφφφφφφφφφφφφφφφ

Are you familiar with the term ototoxicity?

"The property of being toxic to the ear."

An extensive recently published study titled Duration of Analgesic Use and Risk of Hearing Loss in Women (doi: 10.1093/aje/kww154) is receiving considerable attention because it has identified some very commonly-taken medications that apparently can initiate hearing loss when the medication is taken for prolonged periods of time.

All it can require is using the medication just twice a week for a half-dozen years ─ and medications that have been identified include the likes of ibuprofen and acetaminophen.

Here are some reports on the study ─ which just happened to involve women.  It does not mean that men are immune:

Consumer.HealthDay.com

CBC.ca

HSIonline.com

That latter reference offers this:
...The real shock here is that these ear-damaging drugs number in the hundreds
Many of them are uncommon and rarely prescribed. But others are widely used, such as the OTC drugs in the new study, along with certain antibiotics, diuretics, cardiac drugs, chemotherapy drugs, and ones for depression and anxiety such as Prozac and Xanax.
And although the new study did not link aspirin use to hearing loss, aspirin is already included in the long list of ototoxic culprits as well. 
As you might guess, when two or more of these drugs are used at the same time, the risk of hearing damage climbs higher and higher.
I have grown concerned in the past year about the level of tinnitus I experience, but I know it has nothing to do with medications ─ I take none.

The last time I took a painkiller was in November 2010, I believe.  And I only took it a few times due to the unrelenting pain following knee surgery to reattach my quadriceps tendon to my knee cap (patella).

We are an over-medicated populace, as a rule.  People take far too many medications that they just do not need to be taking.

There is a price to pay that goes far beyond the financial.

😯😯😯😯😯😯😯

As I reported just a day or two ago, there is broad class of medications ─ anticholinergics ─ that have been identified as increasing the risks of hospitalization and even dementia.

Medications are just bad news, and we need to understand that.

JacksDailyDose.com

Health.Harvard.edu

PsychCentral.com

I doubt that there is any such thing as a benign medication.  The question becomes...what won't medications do to us?

😯😯😯😯😯😯😯

You likely eat a lot more food imported from China than you might think you do.

Very recently, a startling admission was made about just how many food safety violations were recorded in that country:

Reuters.com

GlobalNews.ca

This is most certainly a strong argument for trying to purchase as much of your food from local sources as possible.

You know, if you do the math on those figures, it works out to about 1,850 food safety violations each and every day!

φφφφφφφφφφφφφφφφφφφφφ

Here to close out today's post is a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the small affair in a house on Ninth Street, maybe one or two houses up from Third Avenue.

I had managed to get to bed the evening before this specific entry at 8:00 p.m.
THURSDAY, January 8, 1976 
I had a very broken sleep; I was so raunchy yesterday.  I was getting pretty souped up when I retired, and not down to the business of sleeping. 
I arose c. 4:20 a.m. 
I typed up Ron a 1 page letter this morning.  I had a nap later. 
For the past 3 days I've been mucking around with my Knave, and the deleterious effects are attending my granted attention. 
I watched all but the last 2 or 3 minutes of the Bruins/Red Army hockey game; the Reds were winning 5:2; then I tuned in Space: 1999. 
I am going to try a retirement of 8:30 p.m.
I typed the letter to Ron Bain, an American pen-pal I had back then.

There is nothing worse than being a socially isolated horny young man ─ there is nothing to get one's mind off "impure thoughts."

Apparently the Russians won that hockey game with that very score, according to this Wikipedia Super Series '76 article.

Well, it is nearing 6:00 p.m.  Poté and his girlfriend took off quite some time back, and I am still alone in the house.

I will proofread this post, and get it published.

I want to mentioned that in checking my AdSense account prior to starting the post, I saw that I earned absolutely nothing yesterday, and there was nothing in the balance as yet today, either.

What profit blogging?

This evening will probably be the last time I turn on the Christmas lights.  I hate that the Christmas Season is all over ─ I already miss it.  

Heck, I miss 2016.
Post a Comment