.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Dangerous Anticholinergic Medications │ Marijuana and Weakened Heart Muscle │ Study: Red Meat Deemed Healthy

My wife Jack showed up from Vancouver last evening before my younger brother Mark had yet retired for the night.

He passes out almost every evening, it is starting to seem.  I even had to turn off the meal he had cooking in the oven.

Jack didn't keep me sitting up late.  She retired to bed in time enough for me to join her comfortably ahead of midnight, although I don't recall the precise time.

I had my usual night's sleep ─ the latter half of which is always broken due to hampered breathing as a result of clogging nasal passageways.  But Jack told me in the morning that she wasn't able to sleep until something like 4:00 a.m.

That must surely be an exaggeration ─ how could anyone just lie in bed for that long if sleep refused to visit?

Whatever the case, it was approaching noon before she rose for the day.  I had been up for a few hours working on the edit of an old post at my Siam-Longings website.  I basically have the edit finished, but I decided to delay its final touches until tomorrow morning.

I have been trying to figure out how to make a WordPress plugin called the Amazon Associates Link Builder accept my credentials for the Amazon U.K. website, but it persists in declaring this:
Your AWS Access Key Id is not registered as an Amazon Associate. Please register as an associate at the respective endpoint.
I have an account at the U.S. as well as the U.K. Amazons, and I used a different E-mail and password for the two.

Well, I have done sufficient research to understand that somehow the plugin is conflicted by the two accounts, and it is best to have the same E-mail and password associated with them both.

So I changed my E-mail at the U.K. Amazon to match the U.S. Amazon, but getting the password changed has been entirely something else.

I thought I had succeeded, but when I log into the U.K. Amazon, all is well until I attempt to access the Associates area.  I am confronted with the need to login again.

When I do so using the new password, it is rejected with this declaration:
The e-mail address/mobile number and password you are using are not connected to an Associates account. If your Associates e-mail address/mobile number or password is different from the one used with your Amazon.com customer account, please log in here. If you still have problems logging in, please contact us.
When I go to the webpage that 'here' links to, it will only accept the old password I want to be rid of.

I tried contacting them about it, and went into detail in their contact area.

In an almost immediate reply, this message was sent to my E-mail:
Hello,

I understand that your concern relates to an issue you experienced with your Product Advertising API.

The Product Advertising API is maintained and controlled by Amazon Web Services. You can contact them through the link provided below:

https://affiliate-program.amazon.co.uk/gp/advertising/api/detail/contactus.html

I hope this helps. We look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Warmest regards,
Too annoyed to bother with it initially, I went off and did other things.  Then I returned and filled out the problem details at that new webpage, and submitted it.

A notice appeared saying my message had been sent.

But what do I see when I check my E-mail Inbox?
Thank you for writing to the Associate Programme at Amazon.co.uk.
You have written to an e-mail address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.
Is Amazon.co.uk staffed with idiots?

Anyway, all of that was part of why I never finalized that edit of an old post at Siam-Longings.  I had hoped to be able to use the plugin before publishing the revised post.

But enough of that.

My wife Jack did quite a lot of cooking this morning, and even did more cleaning in her sons' area thereafter ─ she had done much cleaning a couple or so days ago.

But I guess she had to work this evening.  By about 2:45 p.m., I was seeing her off for the day out in the frigid, overcast day..

She said she would be back sometime tomorrow ─ her eldest son Tho has to appear in traffic court on Monday, so Jack will have to drive him.  His appearance relates to getting caught driving a couple or so months back while under a driving suspension.

I guess he will never be in a position to help out financially with things like the monthly $1,600 mortgage.  He's been working since something like September 2013, yet has never contributed a cent towards the mortgage.

And I see that I had better take leave of that topic, too ─ I am getting worked up.

I am to have my brother Mark and his girlfriend Bev show up at some point later today to watch T.V. and enjoy some drinks with, so I had best get this post completed.

Perhaps I will leave this section with this photo of Jack taken last September 8 afternoon ─ she is standing posed at the back left corner of our home:


∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

There is a very common class of medication called anticholinergics that increases a person's risk of emergency hospitalization rather dramatically, according to a recently published study:
Dr. [Noll Campbell, PharmD, who led the new research] and colleagues report that taking a drug with mild anticholinergic effect daily increased the likelihood of inpatient admission by 11 percent over a year. Many drugs used to treat heart failure and hypertension fall into the mild group, such as diuretics. Taking a drug with a strong anticholinergic effect daily increased the likelihood of inpatient admission by 33 percent over a year. Sleeping pills, one of the most common medications used by elders, are in this category as are antihistamines, which are available without prescription.
If you take any sort of prescription or over-the-counter medications, then you could well be taking one or more products containing an anticholinergic.

But the trouble does not end with the risk of hospitalization ─ these same medications are bringing on cognitive impairment:
In 2013 the IU Center for Aging Research investigators reported that continuously taking strong anticholinergics for as few as 60 days caused memory problems and other indicators of mild cognitive impairment. Taking multiple drugs with weaker anticholinergic effects, such as many common over-the-counter digestive aids, had a negative impact on cognition in only 90 days.
These two reports tell of the study ─ the above quotes were taken from the first report: 

News-Medical.net
Anticholinergic drugs linked to increased rate of emergency department and hospital visits
 
HSIonline.com
Study finds anticholinergic drugs sending seniors to the hospital in droves

That second reference makes greater sense of the problem, and links to a list of many of the problem medications, categorized according to just how severe their anticholinergic burden (AGB) is.

Very many of the medications "increase the risk of cognitive impairment by 46% over 6 years."

If you or a loved one take the listed medications, then you need to take notice!
😮😮😮😮😮😮😮

Reports like this one make me relieved that I never became invested into marijuana use like so many people I know have become:

ScienceDaily.com

Dr. Marc S. Micozzi had much to say about that study; as well, he shares his own views and knowledge on the negative effects of marijuana:
DrMicozzi.com
Marijuana users twice as likely to suffer cardiac arrest

Personally, I have no interest in embracing marijuana.  I'm perfectly happy with alcohol ─ I just wish that it was less expensive.

😮😮😮😮😮😮😮

You no doubt have been exposed to enough reports that indicate that red meat ought to be kept at a minimum in our diets because it really just is not that healthy.

Well, a recent analysis of numerous studies came up with the conclusion that we can safely eat more meat than the recommendations allow:

Purdue.edu

A very similar report on the review is available a Newsmax.com:  Red Meat May Be Heart OK After All.

I know that a lot of studies that cast a negative light on meat do not bother to make a distinction as to what the meat is ─ they include processed meat and fast food varieties, too.

This advice was offered from NewMarketHealth.com:
...Before you start putting more meat dishes back on your family's menu, here are the top three things to remember:
  • Go for grass-fed beef: It has a whole bunch of heart-healthy benefits such as more omega-3 fatty acids, high amounts of conjugated linoleic acid (that has been found to lower your risk of cancer and heart disease), and excellent amounts of antioxidants.
  • Grind to order: Pre-ground meat patties often contain mysterious fillers and additives. Plus that, what you get in that Styrofoam tray, if it comes from a big processing plant, can be from hundreds, if not thousands, of different animals. That can make it much more likely that some of that some of that meat is contaminated with dangerous bacteria such as E. coli. A better option is to select a cut and have the butcher grind it for you.
  • Cook it thoroughly: No matter if you're buying organic, grass-fed or conventional beef, all meat contains bacteria and needs to be cooked thoroughly and to the right temperature. And the only way to know if you're doing that is by using a meat thermometer. Yes, even on hamburgers. According to the USDA, ground beef and pork should be cooked to a minimum of 160º F.
And despite this, and any other good news that comes out about the health benefits of meat, remember, the burgers served at your favorite fast-food place don't count!
But concerning that study or review...is it just me, or does a three-ounce serving of meat three times a week seem pretty sparse?

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

This is taking me far too long ─ I must close.

So here to finish with is a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the small affair in a house located on Ninth Street, and one or two houses up from Third Avenue.

On the day's agenda was a hike out to visit my mother Irene Dorosh in Surrey.  

The little home she shared with her husband Alex in the Kennedy Heights area is now gone, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue.  It was my main mailing address.

To hike there from my room would take about 1½ at a rapid walk.

My bedtime the evening prior to this entry was 10:30 p.m. at latest.
WEDNESDAY, January 7, 1976

Feeling pretty sleepy, I forced myself up about 4:10 a.m.

I left for mom's about 7:45 a.m., and took the walking easy.

In today's mail came a letter announcing Church of God Bible lectures January 12 - February 24 each Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at the Surrey Inn; also came Amra #64.

I ate quite heartily today, but didn't really overdo it.

Mom went to Scottsdale, and while she was away Mark & Cathy dropped in; Cathy suggested we go for a beer, but I let it slip by.

When mom got back she prepared a snack.

As they left, Cathy asked me over, but I declined.

When it came time for me to leave, it was pouring, so mom lent me the plastic raincoat I gave her.

Again I walked easily, and my foot did not do too bad.

By the time I reached the bridge, the rain was a light fall.

Unlike Monday, I found no penny on my way.

Mom might go with Sandy, Nell, a Maria, and possibly Cathy to see a show at 8:00 p.m. at, probably, the Foxy Mermaid or whatever, featuring amateur night for naked male dancing.

I bed at 8:00 p.m.
The Surrey Inn no longer exists, but it used to be over by the King George SkyTrain Station ─ I think the new Coast Capital Savings building replaced the location of the Surrey Inn.  

The Scottsdale back then was little like the Scottsdale of today ─ basically, the Delta side of the Scott Road (120th Street) & 72nd Avenue intersection.

It was my younger brother Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther who dropped in while my mother was away to Scottsdale.

I was always so rigid about keeping to my routine that I denied myself a lot of good company that I now wish I had taken the time to enjoy.

I had injured a foot more than two weeks earlier, but it seems finally to have been healing.

I entirely forgot about a place called the Foxy Mermaid.  I did such a good job at forgetting about it that I no longer can recall just where it was.  If my mother did indeed go to see the male strippers with the others, they were her sister Nell Halverson and Nell's daughter-in-law Sandy Halverson.  I cannot guess on who Maria might have been. 
Post a Comment