.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Thursday, January 19, 2017

☠ 💀 Why Dogs Eat Poop │ Study Finds Vitamins C Plus E Reduce Risk of Brain Decline │ Zinc: Reduces Oxidative Stress and Repairs DNA

Instead of getting to bed around 11:47 p.m. last evening, I was up in utter dissolution until 1:47 a.m. I am in desperate need of inspiration and motivation ─ of purpose.

I have such a void in me for human contact and love, it becomes impossible to value myself.

And it is no help whatsoever that when I checked my AdSense account, I saw that over the previous six days, I only earned 1¢.

Why am I here online?

On a related note, I see that Chitika ─ which has always touted itself as the alternative to Google's AdSense ─ has been steadily removing any of my websites from my account that it does not like. So from seven, I am down to just three.

The irony here is that the websites it removed were websites that Google had banned from having AdSense advertisements. In other words, Chitika only wants Google-approved websites.

So how in Hell is Chitika able to call itself the alternative to Google AdSense? It is false.

I am inexpressibly unhappy.

My first break in sleep last night was around 5:30 a.m. ─ at least, that is when I checked the time and rose to use the bathroom and drink some water. But upon returning to bed, I could not relax my mind and return to sleep.

Yes, a guilty conscience was at work; but I was also deep into worry about the upcoming $1,600 monthly mortgage. It tends to get debited around the 21st of the month, although it seems to occur on the 22nd (or later, depending on weekends and holidays).

My account is over $275 short on the required amount.

I know that my wife Jack will somehow be able to make up the shortfall once she learns of it ─ even if it is just to borrow what we need from one or both of her sons.

Nevertheless, the worry and concern were there, as well as the self-derision of being such an inadequate man and provider for my family.

It is no wonder my marriage is a flop ─ how can I possibly have a wife's respect?

I tried to sleep for well over a half-hour, but saw the futility of it. And so I rose well after 6:00 a.m. to spend time here at my computer.

Not long after, my youngest step-son Poté got up from his bed downstairs, apparently to hurriedly ready for work. He clearly realized that I was here upstairs at my computer, for as he headed for the front door, he by name bade me a projected good-bye.

I half-laughed my acknowledgment, for he seldom says anything as he leaves.

As I wrote yesterday, he now seems to have a car of his own. His older brother Tho's car is apparently in possession of Tho's girlfriend ─ Tho is serving a year-long driving suspension.

Tho did not get up for work ─ this is his second day off sick. I could hear him coughing occasionally from his bed, which is directly below my computer room.

I did not sit up too long ─ possibly not even 90 minutes. I had enjoyed sufficient diversion here that I felt myself feeling weary again, and my mind had been eased of its fretful focus on finances.  

Hope ─ or some vestige or similitude of hope ─ supposedly springs eternal.

Or at least, until it does not, and a person takes him- or herself out.

Sleep did resist its return, but I was comfortable in bed. And anon, I did get to sleep and dreamland. Thus, when next I checked the time, it was well after 10:00 a.m., and so I rose for the day.

I am still working on the new post I began on the 11th at my Siam-Longings website; because of my late start today, the work took me into the noon-hour. Tho had risen late in the morning, and his brother Poté was soon thereafter home from work.

During the noon-hour, I heard Tho leave the house and possibly get into someone's car ─ I never looked, but my computer-room window is partially ajar, and it overlooks the front yard.

Late in the noon-hour or early in the afternoon, Poté called up to me to ask if I wanted him to get me something to eat. Wondering what was afoot, I asked if he meant that he was going shopping, or if he intended to seek some fast food.

It was the latter, so I asked what he had in mind. He suggested something from Subway. I was indeed hungry, so I acquiesced to the suggestion; and in response to his enquiry, I preferenced beef and said to include all the vegetable fixings that were available.

When he returned, it was with what must have been one of those foot-long submarine sandwiches. He turned it over to me, and then announced that he would be back later, and he took off again.

So did he make the trip to Subway exclusively for me, I wonder? Was that his intention all along?

Or did his girlfriend or someone call him while he was on that errand and thus he was no longer going to be getting anything for himself?

I don't know.

And it was his treat ─ he sought no recompense.

Gestures like this make me feel bad about how easily I feel such great anger towards him and his brother. But I realize that my anger is born of my unnatural lifestyle, practically housebound and so very socially-isolated.

If conditions were other, forbearance would be easier to practice.

After I finished that delicious feast, I returned to bed to allow the meal to settle, and to rest my eyes and generate some vitality.

I may have only rested for a half-hour.  Then I went out to the backyard shed and engaged in some exercising.

There was some very light rain, and it is definitely mild out. Hardly any snow remains on the ground now. By tomorrow, there will likely be none. The blanketing that we first received the early part of December 5 will be naught but a memory.  

I don't know if this snow-cover set a duration record, but it was the longest stretch that I can recollect.

My wife Jack is due to show up from Vancouver at some point today. I will work mention of our mortgage predicament into her ken at some point.

I have been posting photos that were taken on (I think) last October 30 when Jack and some of her family were able to visit the Ayutthaya area. We certainly were in no position for her to be making that trip to Thailand, but it had been over 3½ years since Jack had last seen her mother.

The flight was charged to credit.

Anyway, here are some further photos from that particular day:





In the next six photos, Jack is at the left and wearing the white hat on the elephant at the right; her sister Penn and Penn's son Daniel are with her. The taller woman on the elephant at the left is Jack's other sister Lumpoon:







And in the next two shots, Jack's elephant is taking the lead for a small tour, I expect:






No doubt those three photos just above were taken from the back of this elephant:


And the final Ayutthaya photo is of food ─ a last meal, perhaps:


I think the next batch of photos relate to a return to the Udon Thani area, so I will stop here.

But before I move on, I wanted to link to what is perhaps the best explanation that I have seen on this oddball pet-related topic: The Real Reason Dogs Eat Poop — and How to Make Them Stop.

I still don't exactly understand how they can bear the smell that would accompany such an act.

√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√

There is a recently-published study that has concluded that supplemental intake of two vitamins in tandem seems to greatly reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease, all-cause dementia, and cognitive impairment in general.

Here are a couple of reports about the study:

NutraIngredients-USA.com

HSIonline.com

I couldn't notice any mention at all of recommended potencies of the two vitamins. At any rate, I take a 1,000-milligram vitamin C tablet daily, plus a 400-I.U. capsule of mixed-tocoppherols vitamin E.

😺😺😺😺😺😺😺

There are also some remarkable results from research on dietary zinc:

PreventDisease.com

NutraIngredients-USA.com

Concerning zinc supplements, Jack Harrison says this:
If you have a hard time getting zinc from diet alone, you might want to take a supplement. Just don't take matters into your hands on this one, as this is a case where you could get too much of a good thing. 
Speak to a doc who can check your zinc levels, find out where you stand and help figure out how much you need and the best way to get it.
Yet Dr. Marc S. Micozzi does not infer that supplements need to be avoided ─ one just must ensure not to overdo it: The simple way to stop your sneezing, coughing, and sniffling.

I suspect that the 50-milligram tablet I take daily ought to be phased down. After all, I am not a vegetarian, so I do have various types of animal protein in my diet. Still...maybe I am okay.

😺😺😺😺😺😺😺
I mentioned Dr. Marc. S. Micozzi just above.

I located this bit of information at his website on the topic of improving sleep:
Natural sleep aids don’t receive attention 
I often report on Chinese acupuncture for its use in pain, stroke and asthma. And now, research shows it also naturally reduces insomnia and anxiety and induces sleep. 
In this five-week clinical trial, 18 adults with insomnia and anxiety received acupuncture treatment. Acupuncture increased nocturnal melatonin (the sleep hormone) secretion, improved measures of sleep onset, increased total sleep time, and improved sleep efficiency. Significant reductions in anxiety scores were also found. 
Many people also report that sleeping on animal fur helps with insomnia and anxiety. (I make no excuses for the anxiety of the poor animals who provided these furs). Perhaps a better solution for all involved is to sleep with a beloved dog, cat or other furry animal. (When I was younger, I remember going to sleep sometimes by the strains of Beethoven’s Für Elise. Little did I know.)
√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√√

Poté returned home alone around 4:00 p.m. But I think that the car I thought was his just dropped him off ─ might the car belong to his girlfriend's parents? She had said that her father was away to Germany or somewhere else in Europe, so maybe Poté was allowed use of the vehicle.

It is almost 5:30 p.m. as  type this. Not long ago at all, I thought I heard Tho's car in the driveway, and he did briefly come into the house. However, he seemed to leave again ─ but the car is still in the carport.

What's going on?

I am going to close now with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting my small accommodation in a house located on Ninth Street, perhaps one or two houses up from Third Avenue.

My major plan this day was a hike out to my mother's home in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey. Although that little house that she shared with her husband Alex is now gone, its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue. It was my main mailing address.

To hike there from my room would take about 1½ hours of fast-paced trekking. 
MONDAY, January 19, 1976

I got up about 7:10 a.m., but my sleep wasn't all that good; I'm still thick with yesterday's meal.

The landlady has company, for at least one baby is creating an awful noise, squawking and thumping.

I've decided to wait around till 9:45 a.m. to be able to cash my cheque; as that time approaches, I find my stomach now quite empty and hungry, it being my intestines which are packed.

Bill last night said he might come over to mom's for me in the afternoon.

The whole extent of my walk was in fog; my girl handled the okay of my cheque.

At Scott-Town I bought 2 money orders ($5 & $10), and in O'Farrell's got a $2.23 can of McColl's crunchy for $2 because it was dented. When I began the last part of the haul after that, it was to discover the fog near cleared, and soon I was 'neath a blue sky.

My mail awaiting was February's Plain Truth, some post office notices, a letter from Donald M. Grant confirming my last order, H. Warner Munn's The Banner of Joan from Donald Grant, and an offer to be used as an experiment for Tensile Contraction (a bodybuilding course) providing I send in $5 for the $20 course from Mississauga in Ontario.    

I ate heartily enough.

By the time Bill came ─ very soon after 2:30 p.m., and with his mother ─ the fog was back; they were anxious to be off, so mom didn't get much of a visit out of us; I originally arrived at 11:30 a.m.

We left, to find the fog had reversed its earlier positioning, being quite clear after leaving the Kennedy area.

I was driven directly home; I would have preferred to have stayed at mom's and then walked home.

I lied down about 4:00 p.m. to nap before going over and spending the evening at Bill's watching TV, but I clearly awoke not too long after 5:00 p.m. That young brat upstairs sure isn't making my life peaceful.

There was thick fog when I left at 6:30 p.m. for Bill's, mailing the $5 tithe I think I forgot about earlier this month, an order for 4 Currier & Ives winter scene pewter plates, and Bennet's The Bowl of Baal.   

I was fed some peanuts at Bill's, and stayed to watch The Macahans from 8:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. He gave me a stack of comics to take home with me in the fog.

Tomorrow night he is to see about the GED course Cathy & Randy have both been involved with.

Bed at 11:20 p.m.

I paid Bill his third $1 for yesterday's turkey.
The cheque was $50 ─ my monthly pay for working each Friday at a New Westminster charitable organization as a truck swamper. These payments were always made out from an account at the Royal Bank branch located on Columbia Street in New Westminster. 

I had no photo identification, nor any bank account there or anywhere else. Consequently, cashing a cheque could be something of a problem.

Fortunately for me, there was an employee at that branch named Mary (I think) ─ quite a wholesome and attractive young woman ─ who had taken it upon herself to make my life easier anytime she saw me in the bank. If I failed to find her at one of the cashier or teller stations, and had to face someone else, this blessed Mary ─ if she was to notice me thereupon ─ would rush over and vouch for me, declaring that I was who I claimed to be because she knew me personally.

I half-loved this dear lass, but never had the confidence to try and socialize with her.

The Scott-Town or Scottown plaza is located at 96th Avenue & Scott Road (120th Street) in Surrey. The former name for 96th Avenue was Townline Road, and so Scott + Town.

I don't know if O'Farrell's is the correct spelling, but it was a short-lived supermarket in the Scottown plaza. McColl's was a delicious peanut butter in a 48-ounce can. The pharmacy in Scottown also had a post office, so I would stop in there for anything like that.

My old friend William Alan Gill rented a bachelor suite, roughly four or so blocks from my room. The previous day, we had enjoyed an enormous turkey feast at the rented home of my younger brother Mark and Mark's beautiful girlfriend, Catherine Jeanette Gunther. Bill had bought the turkey for something over $13, and I was contributing $3 towards it.     

I do not remember Bill ever taking a GED course, so I doubt that he did. He was motivated because Jeanette ("Cathy") and my maternal cousin Randy Halverson evidently both had undertaken it.
Post a Comment