.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Friday, February 3, 2017

The Increasing Mortality of White, Working-Class Americans │ Sinusitis? Just Say No to Verapamil │ Vitamin B6 Deficiency Behind Some Cognitive Decline

This is getting to be a truly sick joke. For the fourth consecutive day, I have nothing showing up in my AdSense account. This reinforces that I am going to have to quit wasting my life blogging for what amounts to be a full workday of hours ─ heck, maybe even more ─ each and every day of each and every week.

All that time ─ my very life ─ thrown away without a cent in recompense.

Despite seeing that I had earned nothing yesterday, I got to bed shortly after 11:00 p.m. But as usual, only the first half of my night was peaceful. Sleep is always hard to achieve in the second half.

When I checked the time this morning well past 7:00 a.m. and decided that I might as well rise, it still took me six or eight minutes to convince myself to do it.

I found myself alone in the house once again ─ the second consecutive morning. I actually haven't seen nor heard my eldest step-son Tho since at least Wednesday. But all must be well, whatever he is up to, or his younger brother Poté would have said something to me, I am sure

I spent much of the morning setting up a new post at my Latin Impressions website, and then i began readying to get out and do some local shopping.

This was the scene yesterday afternoon around 4:30 p.m. ─ it was a third consecutive day of sunshine. I took these six photos of the front yard where you should be able to just make out a wee patch of snow on the lawn, and just in front of that big shrub at the right of the mouth of the driveway:







That little bit of snow was all that remained of the snow ground cover which had been maintained by successive snowfalls following the very first one early in the a.m. of December 5, 2016.

It is rare to have such an extended presence of snow here in Surrey, B.C.

Well, it wasn't sunny this morning when I got up ─ the previous days of sunshine had helped keep me home-bound, for I am newly into a beard, and feeling very public-shy. A cloudy day offers more camouflage for my imperfections than would the stark brilliance of a sunny day.

So when I suspended work on that website post in order to start preparing for my outing, I was a little taken aback to discover that the ground had an inch or so of snow, and it was still falling heavily.

It was 11:40 a.m. by the time I had set off to shop at No Frills in the Cedar Hills shopping plaza at 96th Avenue & 128th Street, perhaps four or so blocks distant.
\
I certainly had my camouflage!

There is a woman in the store who has been approaching customers for many months now, trying to get them to opt in for a certain credit card. I get hit up almost every time I go there. I do feel sorry for her if this is all she's got as a means of earning a living ─ I couldn't do that each and every day.

Anyway, after I was back home, I took this photo of the front yard at 1:16 p.m. to compare with yesterday's photos:


That little patch of snow is now so grandly reinforced, the bit of lawn beneath it must be wondering when it will ever again experience the warmth and light of day. December 4 ─ its last experience of day ─ was a long while back.

Poté came home towards 3:00 p.m. I suppose that he must have had to work this morning. But his car is parked in the space in the open car-port where my younger brother Mark parks, so Poté obviously has plans to go somewhere ere too long. Yesterday he had to work at both of his part-time jobs, so maybe that is going to be the case today, as well.

I hope Mark never met with any issues today ─ he has to drive a big cargo truck all over, making commercial pick-ups and deliveries.

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼

Just recently it was making headlines that for the first time in many years, the U.S. life expectancy rate actually dipped instead of making a small usual climb.

Well, I had not realized until reading an article by Marc S. Micozzi that ─ according to a study published on November 2, 2015 ─ "mortality increased by 33 percent in white, working-class Americans over the past generation."

You can read his essay for yourself ─ and you probably should, if you are a "white, working-class American."

DrMicozzi.com

We tend to think of women on average as having a longer lifespan than men, but that same essay claims that this only started to come into play after 1880. Until then, life expectancies were pretty much the same.

It's an interesting essay!

🙉🙉🙉🙉🙉🙉🙉

Sinusitis sufferers may be getting prescribed a mediation called verapamil ─ the following report on a recently published study comes across as very promising:

ScienceDaily.com

But let's see an alternate take on the drug ─ one that's not afraid to dig into the steep negatives:

HSIonline.com

Now the drug seems to have a whole new and deep tarnish, doesn't it? I would by far prefer to explore the suggestion given in that second report.

For more on the side effects of verapamil, have a look at Drugs.com: Verapamil Side Effects. The first part of the page is for the consumer; but if you refer to the second section designed for physicians, you get to see much more, albeit in technical terminology ─ things like psychotic episodes, erectile dysfunction/impotence, and kidney failure.

Wouldn't it have been nice to have seen those and other nasty side effects listed in the section for consumers?

And don't those alternate therapies in that second report above sound much more attractive?

🙉🙉🙉🙉🙉🙉🙉

Anyone concerned about cognitive decline might want to pay heed to their vitamin B6 intake, according to a recently published study. These two reports tell of the study

NutraIngredients.com

JacksDailyDose.com

This does not bode too well for me where supplementation is concerned. When I was still employed, I had started to stock up on the supplement as part of my nutritional regimen. But after having to make ends meet on my limited retirement pension, this particular supplement was more expensive than other supplements I deemed to be essential, so I stopped buying it.

Fresh tuna is out of the question due to cost...and I avoid canned foods due to the bisphenol A that is still commonly used in the linings of cans. (See this March 30, 2016, article at CBC.caBPA still found in most food can linings: report.)

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼

The snowfall stopped after sunset, but I am sure that we are not done yet!

I close now with this journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the small affair in a house located on Ninth Street, and one or two houses up from Third Avenue.
TUESDAY, February 3, 1976

I got up about 5:00 a.m.

The torn area of my left foot has been acting up a bit of late; I'm considering perhaps trying some calf raises to stimulate rehabilitation of the weakness.

I went to Woodward's and mailed for a ticket each on the Olympic and Western Lotteries, and also for Robert E. Howard's Red Nails from Donald M. Grant. I bought a $2 money order to send for a Dog Derby Sweepstake ticket at Yellowknife; I'll mail for this on my way over to see if Bill cares to go hiking.

I bought 4 ozs vanilla extract and 25 lbs whole wheat flour.

I guess Bill wasn't home when I gave him a buzz about 11:00 a.m.

Coming home, at the corner here I passed a very attractive girl. If my foot wasn't acting like it wants to sprain again, I think I felt stimulated enough to go for a walk in my renewed effort to cut down on flab. It's a sunny day too.

I lied down, I think, about noon till 3:00 p.m., finally getting up and being surprised at the degree of light in the room (my head was covered; the place is very cold).

About 6:30 p.m. I failed in a try to reach Bill for a night of TV viewing; it is cold and clear out in the dark.

Bed at 8:30 p.m.
The foot trouble I was speaking of may have been the bad sprain I incurred in November or December 1974.

Woodward's department store used to be located on Sixth Avenue right where the Royal City Centre Mall is now.

As for my old friend William Alan Gill, he lived in the bachelor suite he was renting, maybe four or so blocks from my room. He had a good-sized colour T.V.; I only had a smaller black & white model.

But returning now to today, I was wrong about the snow ─ I just couldn't see it falling in the dark. It's still coming down.

Poté went out to the backyard shed to fetch a snow shovel...and broke off the key in the door lock before getting the door open. It looks like I may have to miss the session of shed exercising I had meant to get in tomorrow ─ I skipped out on it today in order to ensure that I would go forth and do that shopping.
Post a Comment