.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Monday, March 20, 2017

A Form of Vitamin B3 Can Stop Chemo-Related Nerve Pain │ Guess What America's Third Leading Cause of Death Is? │ How to Eat


My wife Jack showed up from Vancouver last evening shortly after my brother Mark had gone upstairs to his bedroom for the night ─ so maybe around 10:30 p.m., or soon thereafter.

Eventually she decided to clean the toilet, sink, and bathtub in the upstairs bathroom. I have no idea why she picked that time of night.

I had the impression that she perhaps wanted to get to bed fairly early, but I had to wait until my own opportunity presented itself. I had turned off the T.V., and was killing time here at my computer. Jack was bouncing about from our bedroom, to the bathroom, to the kitchen downstairs.

My chance finally came when she was back into the bathroom with the door closed. I hurriedly undressed and got into bed, donning a blindfold to reduce the effect of the lamplight in the bedroom. Fortunately, I did not time things too badly, and Jack presently herself sought bed.

I made a time-check after she had turned out the light ─ I now forget the precise time, but it was definitely after 12:20 a.m.

During one of my breaks in sleep overnight, I made use of the bathroom, and also drank some water.

There came a point early in the morning when Jack had gotten up and was doing a little fussing about ─ perhaps she was just changing into her robe and slippers. When she exited and then closed the bedroom door, I checked the time and saw that it was 6:09 a.m.

My conclusion was that her lazy eldest son ─ 22-year-old Tho ─ had roused her to drive him to the SkyTrain so that he could get to work in Burnaby. He's bloody selfish like that, never concerning himself with how tired his mother might be, nor whether she will have to work later in the day herself.

After all, why should she be sleeping when lazy Tho can get a ride instead of making his own way to the SkyTrain like I had to do for so many years?

Normally I would have gotten up for the day when they left, but I was just too tired. And I was apparently back to sleep before she returned and came back to bed.

When I next checked the time, it was a little past 7:20 a.m. ─ I decided to get up then so that I could continue work upon the new post I am trying to get completed at my Lawless Spirit website. I should finally have the post finished and published tomorrow.

While I was working upon the post, I heard Jack's iPhone 6's alarm ─ it could not have been too much beyond mid-morning. I wondered if she was deliberately getting up to her alarm because she had plans to cook and take some food with her on her fourth consecutive Tuesday visit to the Thai temple (Wat Budhapanyanantarama) in Burnaby.

And that proved to be the case ─ she left here around 10:45 a.m.

She would have decent driving weather, for the morning has been somewhat sunny, although I have heard that some rain is expected later today ─ certainly clouds. Yet just as last night, the temperatures are expected to sink to the freezing point overnight.

The day's high has been projected to possibly reach 12º Celsius.

I have a package of Swiss Chard seeds that were given to me last year when I was walking through Holland Park on some errand. Perhaps I will sow them at some point this weekend...or maybe wait until next Monday when I have Jack stay overnight again, if she indeed does so.

It can be bothersome having her around if I allow myself to dwell upon our relationship. By way of illustration as to what I mean, she has not said as many as 50 words to me in total since coming home last evening.

I make an occasional attempt to offer some 'small talk,' but it rarely fetches more than a word or two in response out of her.

It's a bugger being so helplessly in debt that I can do nothing about matters except suffer them through to whatever finale lies ahead.

I might as well post a couple of photos from Jack's trip back home to her family village of Nong Soong, just a 15-or-so-minute drive from the city of Udon Thani. Jack had not seen her mother since the early part of March 2013, so she charged up the fare to fly back to Thailand.

I am just about certain that the home shown in the two photos is Jack's family home, for this is precisely how I remember the tiled area just before the front door ─ I often sat where the woman in the photos is sitting.

The woman is someone whom my wife always referred to as being her "sister-cousin":



∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

I was unaware that some people undergoing chemotherapy as a cancer treatment can experience a debilitating condition called chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN), "a progressive, enduring, and often irreversible condition featuring pain, numbness, tingling and sensitivity to cold in the hands and feet (sometimes progressing to the arms and legs) that afflicts between 30% and 40% of patients undergoing chemotherapy."

Reportedly a form of vitamin B3 ─ nicotinamide riboside ─ has been proving itself as very effective in preventing the condition. Or at least, such was the case in a recent study with rats.

Here are some reports about the finding:

Eurekalert.org

Newsmax.com

HSIonline.com

It is mentioned in that first report that one of the researchers ─ Charles Brenner, PhD ─ is deeply affiliated with a pharmaceutical company that produces nicotinamide riboside. In fact, he involves himself with doing research to prove the value of this variant of vitamin B3.

If you are interested in learning what he has previously found out concerning it, refer to this October 10, 2016, article at edcom.uiowa.edu: First human clinical trial for nicotinamide riboside.

💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

Have you any idea what the third leading cause of death is in the U.S.?

According to a recent study, the third leading cause of death appears to be medical misdiagnoses. Imagine!

I wonder how this sort of determination would pan out here in Canada or other countries ─ surely the American medical profession cannot be that uniquely bumbling and careless?

Read about it for yourself in these two articles:

TheDoctorWeighsIn.com

HSIonline.com

Mention was made that this epidemic of diagnostic error has been known for at least four years ─ I located these two reports about this dreadful situation from back in 2013:
I found that OpenNotes project to be most interesting, but I have no idea if there is anything like it elsewhere in the world. I would love to have access to all of my past medical records.

The Wikipedia article I linked to gives the OpenNotes website as myopennotes.org, but that didn't work for me. Some research found it instead as opennotes.org.

I can only see this as feasible if it was strictly online material. It just strikes me as highly improbable that anyone could get their medical information as physical copies of records ─ someone would have to pay for all of those printed pages!

💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

Do you consciously appreciate your meals when you are partaking of them? We often just eat mechanically, with little thought about what we are doing.

For one thing, we should not bother eating if we are upset. Stress has no place at the table, and should always be made unwelcome.

Perhaps you can benefit to some degree from the following short article:

LifeSpa.com

I only rarely have a meal while not deeply involved in something else ─ such as watching T.V. One of my other pastimes while eating is to be playing FreeCell on my computer.

Whether or not doing either of these while eating is detracting from the full benefit of a meal is unknown to me. However, I do know that too often while I am eating and watching T.V., my drunken younger brother Mark's black spirit has a heavily negative impact, and I probably should not try and eat around him when he is in that state.

But I need to eat. I do it but twice a day.

I guess it just points up that each of us cannot comport ourselves in the most ideal and beneficial fashion at all times. We can but try to meet that optimal criteria, and at least be mindful of it even when we are failing to achieve it.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

My wife Jack was back from the Thai temple shortly after 3:00 p.m., and in somewhat a better mood. At least she twice engaged me with separate topics that she actually originated ─ it was a distinct improvement.

She did further cooking for the rest of us; and by 5:40 p.m. had left to return to Vancouver. By then the day had become quite overcast.

Today is the first day of Spring, by the way.

Here is how my day fared precisely 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster. I was renting it in a private house located on Ninth Street, and one or two houses up from Third Avenue.
SATURDAY, March 20, 1976

I ended my night about 7:00 a.m. I discovered a couple of inches of snow on the ground.

Since Tuesday, I guess, I've had a throat problem causing the occasional cough, but yesterday it worsened; my throat is thick with mucous, and post-nasal drainage while bedded was pretty thick.

And today is the first day of spring.

I managed to perform 50 leg raises, though I felt the stress on my internal incision mounting. I still find it too much a strain to do push-ups.

Several hours (2) after my leg raises, I noticed pain to the right of the last reaches of my abdominal wall just superior to my penile shaft; it brought imaginings of a hernia to mind, but probably it's mere muscle pain.

I've been beset by some heavy coughing fits today.

I spent a couple hours in bed due to coldness and boredom, and I guess I did sleep a little.

I'll bed at 9:20 p.m.
I had spent 12 days of February/March in the hospital after having an emergency appendectomy to mop up a busted appendix ─ or at least, it was on the twelfth day that I was discharged. And for a couple of days after that, I had a drainage tube still protruding from the incision so that infectious matter could seep out into bandaging.

It may have been March 6 before I had my first full tube-free day, so that would have been when the full healing of the incision was beginning where that tube had been. Thus, to be performing 50 leg raises just about exactly two weeks later is rather commendable, I suppose.

Obviously I had a very quiet Spring day in 1976. I never left my room, so I also never spoke to a soul. I had no connected telephone, although there was a unit in my room. I just could not afford telephone service.
Post a Comment