.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Off-Label Drugs for Unapproved Purposes │ Beware Viberzi for Irritated Bowel Syndrome (IBS) │ Sham and Adulterated Olive Oil

I noticed it to be raining fairly late last evening, and it has not stopped yet as I type these words at 3:19 p.m. this afternoon.

I got to bed last evening at 10:38 p.m., and was actually the last person in the house to get to bed ─ my younger brother Mark had preceded me to his bedroom, as had both of my step-sons to theirs.

I seemed to have a multitude of short periods of sleep overnight, and doubt that I slept any further after I made a time check just after 5:00 a.m. I shortly gave up trying to sleep, and rose just ahead of 6:00 a.m.

My youngest step-son Poté was soon to rise, and then ready and leave for work. For whatever reason, his older brother Tho has remained home for a second consecutive day. It certainly is not due to illness, so I have no idea what's going on with him.

I'm still working at compiling content into the new post I have in the works at my Latin Impressions website, which happens to be the poorest performing of my six hosed websites. Barring a miracle, I am not going to renew the Domain name (i.e., latinimpressions.com), nor the hosting contract I have for it at Just Host.

I should never have placed it at Just Host. Rather, I should have just made it another addition to the main account that I have with HostGator where all five of the other websites share a spot. Had I only done that, I would then just be faced with renewal of the Domain name, and not also a new hosting contract.

It's the hosting contract that I cannot handle any longer. I hate to lose the Domain name because of that, alas.

By mid-morning I had pretty much done what I wanted to do with the post. I also found myself rather drowsy, and also unusually hungry. There were still five slices of pizza remaining from the order that Tho had treated everyone to yesterday, so I had two pieces, and just ahead of 10:00 a.m. was back in bed.

I did nap a little, and was up again shortly before 11:00 a.m.

The reason for napping so early was a gamble that I might revive sufficiently that I would feel up to heading out on one errand or another, but that was not to be. I did at least keep up with my exercising.

In addition, I have finally begun the rough draft work on the income tax returns for my wife Jack and I. The work badly wears out my eyes, so all I did was perform the roughest of drafts for two versions of returns for my wife ─ one in which she gets to claim all of the charitable donations, and one where she does not.

I will do the same for myself the next time I feel up to the challenge, and then decide which pairing works out as the most advantageous where a refund is concerned.

By way of explanation, last year Jack actually owed quite a lot of extra income tax, and that brought down my refund considerably when viewed as a partnership.

So I redid her return and transferred all of the charitable donations to her. Yes, it reduced my refund considerably; but when paired with the refund that she then qualified for, the totals together exceeded what the net total would have been if my refund had to absorb her balance owing had I had not transferred the charitable donations to her.

Thus, I want to see if there would be a greater benefit through letting her claim the charitable donations again, even though without them she would still be getting a refund this time around. It isn't like I am desperately trying to erase a negative balance for her like I had to do last year.

It sure would be nice if the girl would only turn her back upon the abuse of credit.

Last Fall, she charged up the flight fare so that she could return to Thailand to see her mother ─ Jack had last seen her mother in person back in March 2013 (a trip that was also made on credit).

I don't begrudge her the opportunity to see her mother ─ heck, I wish my own was alive so that I could see her again!

Jack's home village is Nong Soong, which is maybe a 15-minute drive from the city of Udon Thani.

I might as well post a few photos that were taken during that holiday ─ I think all of these were taken on November 11, 2016, and the setting is quite likely somewhere within Udon Thani. As far as I know, there is no market as robust as this in or near Nong Soong. However, I have not been there since June 2005:




Here is Jack:



Along with Jack in the next two photos are her eldest sister Lumpoon, and Lumpoon's husband:



It is not very likely that I will ever again be visiting Thailand. For whatever reason, I am not someone financial miracles descend upon.

⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠

Antidepressant medications are nothing to be taken lightly, but they are commonly being prescribed off-label for conditions that have nothing to do with depression.

I have broached this reality before, but people ─ consumers ─ need to fully realize that physicians often are not only guessing, but they are also victims of habit. And they don't know everything ─ they know it, too. That is why representatives of pharmaceutical companies easily "have their ear" when it comes to influencing physicians.

Here are a few reports on the latest research into how commonplace this has become:

Consumer.HealthDay.com

HSIonline.com

PeoplesPharmacy.com

I suppose that if you are the type of person who will blindly swallow some medication simply because it has been prescribed, then there is really no helping you. People need to at least question a little.

ÆÆÆÆÆÆÆ

I cannot ever remember seeing a commercial for Viberzi, a medication advertised and prescribed for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). But then, I don't have IBS, so maybe I just don't pay attention if the commercial has been broadcast while I was present.

Viberzi isn't necessarily safe, it turns out; and there are lots of people who should not even be taking the medication. The following two reports explain:

Medscape.com

HSIonline.com

Why the heck not try the vitamin D option described in that latter report, and shuck the medication risks? I just don't understand why people won't take the time to do even just a wee bit of research.

I decided to locate one of the Irritabelle commercials, and found this one at iSpot.TV: Viberzi TV Commercial, 'Abdominal Pain'.

I found the Irritabelle character to be quite cute ─ I like her! She doesn't seem malicious. She's just the poor suffering woman's irritated bowel.

But cute or not, I'm glad she's not any companion of mine!

ÆÆÆÆÆÆÆ

I leave the main shopping to my wife Jack, but I think that if I was buying my own olive oil, i would do so with considerable trepidation. It's one of the biggest sham products on the market.

Check out this article ─ I have seen similar before, and they always disturb me that the practice of this level of marketing deceit is so easily done and gotten away with:

LifeSpa.com

I wonder if even the Italian, French, and Spanish consumers get swindled?

⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠

It has rained steadily all the day through.

Well, my afternoon is draining away, so I am going to close out now with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster. My quarters were quite small; I was renting them in a house located on Ninth street, and about a couple of houses up from Third Avenue.
SUNDAY, March 28, 1976

I got up about 6:00 a.m.

I finished writing my letter to Jean.

I suppose I could have stocked up on meat and eggs for my new diet late this week, but my oily, infected complexion tended me otherwise. Anyway, Bill didn't come around as he usually does on a Sunday, in time to do any shopping.

His absence this entire weekend is all very mysterious; I suppose Mark & Cathy are making a lot of demands on his car.

I mailed Jean's letter after dark.

I'll bed about 9:15 p.m. 
I seem to have spent both Saturday and Sunday without speaking a word to a soul. And in fact, that outing to mail the letter to my U.S. pen-pal Jean M. Martin (née Black) was the sole time I left my room.

I keep mentioning this protein diet I intended to embark upon as of April 1st, but I hardly had any income ─ I have no idea how I thought that I could justify it.

My complexion was always my bane, and the primary reason I would hole up in my room like I did. Only with the coming of night would I feel comfortable about venturing into the world.

My old friend William Alan Gill only lived four or so blocks from my room. He was renting a bachelor suite, and owned a car ─ he was gainfully employed, unlike myself.

On the previous weekend, my younger brother Mark was involved in a traffic accident and had his Vega totaled. I expect that big-hearted Bill was giving Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther the use of his car to the extent that he was able.

I have little doubt that Bill would drive over to their rented home in Whalley ere he had to go to work, and either Mark or Jeanette would then drive Bill to work, retaining the car. But there must have been times when Mark and Jeanette failed to promptly rendezvous with Bill in returning his car to him. 

Bill was far too generous for his own good, as the saying is. 

By the way, I think that Bill also drove a Vega at this time.
Post a Comment