.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Saturday, March 11, 2017

☠ 💀 The Wisdom of the Crowd │ Women Diagnosed with DCIS More Likely to Outlive Their Peers │ Seniors with Back Pain More Likely to Die Than Their Non-Suffering Peers

With it being Friday last evening, I remained up a little later than usual, watching an extra episode of Schitt's Creek than Mark and I otherwise would have. I often cap off an evening's T.V. viewing (via our Android TV Box) with a comedy, so last evening I tuned in two episodes of that series.

I sure do like that Annie Murphy!

Anyway, it was approaching 11:40 p.m. when I was settled into bed, I believe. I slept quite well until taking a bathroom break around 4:15 a.m., and then sleep was a struggle to achieve thereafter. It was 6:01 a.m. when I checked the time and decided to rise for the day.

The kitchen light was on downstairs, but no one was present there, and the rest of the house was in darkness. However, as I was making my morning's hot instant coffee/cocoa powder drink, my youngest step-son Poté arrived home in his car. He had evidently taken his overnighted girlfriend somewhere so that she could get to work.

I was soon at work finally finishing and publishing an edit of an old post first published back on September 26, 2016, at my Siam-Longings website: Udon Thani Pools. And then I got to work laying down the foundation for a new post at my Lawless Spirit website.

By then, the morning was gone.

And what a rainy morning it was, as has been the afternoon! A very good day to be staying at home.

Apart from engaging in some exercise, having a hearty breakfast/lunch, and taking a mid-afternoon nap, there is scant else to report of my day thus far at 4:08 p.m. as I type these words, so I am going to post a few photos that my wife Jack took last Fall.

She had charged the cost of a flight to go back to Thailand to visit her mother for the first time since February/March 2013.

The family home is in the very large village of Nong Soong, approximately a 15-minute drive from Udon Thani.

The four photos that follow were taken by her on, I think, November 7, 2016. Jack was probably riding in a vehicle at the time in Udon Thani itself ─ the photos depict the Fountain Roundabout:





πππππππππππππππππππππ

Have you ever heard of the concept of the wisdom of the crowd? The collective opinion of the crowd is greater than that of any single expert.

I can't say that I ever heard of this idea before ─ or if I have, I never paid much attention to it.

What has piqued my interest is this short article that opens with a description of a carnival contest involving guessing the weight of an ox:

LifeSpa.com

Right now, I am actually listening to one of the references in that article ─ an hour-long audio broadcast called Emergence at Radiolab.org:



It's quite interesting. So far, I do recommend it.

💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

Here is something that ought to be of interest to women, as well as any men concerned of the woman or women in their lives.

A Dutch study has concluded that women over the age of 50 who have been diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) ─ a condition often incorrectly deemed as early breast cancer ─ actually have the odds on their side of outliving those peers of theirs who have no such condition...although the gals with DCIS do have a somewhat increased risk of dying from breast cancer.

The DCIS gals just happen to be less likely to die from any other cause.

The following two reports get into the reason for this:

Medscape.com

DrMicozzi.com

That last report takes to task the final paragraph of the first report ─ you'll have to find this out for yourself by referring to it.

💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

A Danish study of elderly twins has reached the conclusion that folks with back pain are considerably more likely to die than are those seniors who have no such pain.

These reports talk of the study:

ScienceDaily.com

Express.co.uk

JacksDailyDose.com

That last report plunged into why this peculiarity might be so; and I have to admit that I read with interest to see what reason was going to be given, for I wasn't able to conjecture the reason on my own.

Once it was postulated, I had to agree. After all, our poor seniors by and large practically have a diet of various medications, so it stands to reason that those with back pain are probably swallowing those harmful and deadly painkillers.

πππππππππππππππππππππ

Here is where I close out with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting those small quarters in a house situated on Ninth Street, and perhaps one or two houses up from Third Avenue.
THURSDAY, March 11, 1976

I got up about 7:10 a.m.

I finished typing a letter to Jean.

Elke Sommer has been co-hosting the Mike Douglas Show; I sure as heck wish I could find her twin.

In the evening I mailed Jean's letter on my way to Bill's where I watched TV till 10:00 p.m.; he fed me an ice-cream bar ─ 2, actually ─ and a quantity of peanuts.

I'm going to bed by 10:30 p.m.
That was short!

The letter was for an American pen-pal I had, Jean M. Martin (née Black). I would love to know whatever became of her.

My old friend William Alan Gill only lived maybe four or so blocks from my room. He was renting a bachelor suite; and along with a good-sized colour T.V., he also had cable-vision. I only had a smaller black & white T.V., and had to rely on its antenna for reception.

He was a most generous friend.

It may be reaching nigh on two decades since last we saw one another. He is in a full-care facility over in Victoria, and is mostly bed-ridden. I was in touch two evenings ago with a lady-friend of his who will occasionally make the tedious ferry trip over to visit him ─ she lives in a rented apartment in Vancouver..

Sandra Wilson hopes to visit him again around the time of his birthday in April when he reaches the age of 71 ─ truly remarkable for someone who wears a catheter full-time, as well as a diaper. He has so many health issues, it is boggling that the good man is still around.

Sandy said that she will be staying for two nights on the Island with his cousin Darlene, and thus Sandy will be able to see Bill on two consecutive days before heading back here to the Mainland.

If I were a rich man, I would pay to bring him over here to Surrey so that he would be able to have regular visitors, for he spent most of his life over here and had many people who cared for him.

And if I was truly wealthy, I would try and put him onto a holistic lifestyle, weaning him from the many medications that are probably doing him more harm than good. I suspect that some are behind the symptoms of Parkinson's disease that he has been diagnosed with.

It is unfair. He deserves a better end.
Post a Comment