.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Monday, April 10, 2017

Low-Risk A-Rib Patients: Blood Thinners Increase Stroke Risk; Digoxin Doubles Risk of Death │ Statins Proven to Increase Diabetes Risk │ Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Is Surgery Necessary?

Apparently the season finale of The Walking Dead that aired April 2nd ─ its seventh season climax ─ probably consumed 90 minutes of air time on commercial T.V. However, my younger brother Mark and I watched it last evening on our Android TV Box, so the episode was a flat 60 or so minutes.

But neither of us knew this, and so Mark ended up sitting until after 10:30 p.m. before he retired on up to his bedroom for the night. He still works for a living, so he would be getting up around 4:20 a.m.

This also extended my evening ─ as did getting caught up in a couple of things afterward here at my computer. I didn't make it to bed until at least 11:56 p.m.

But concerning The Walking Dead ─ I never felt more drawn to character Sasha Williams. She looked so beautiful in those scenes where she is wearing headphones and listening to music, and remembering happier times ─ all the while, lying in a darkened coffin.

It's a darned shame that she was unable to put a bite onto villainous Negan when he opened her coffin and she lunged out as a zombie, having committed suicide with drugs while in the coffin.

But it is the Scavengers I wanted to talk a little of.

They're ridiculous. The zombie apocalypse that changed the world only happened...when?...within 15 years to present events?

So why do all of the Scavengers talk like they've had several generations to collectively forget the use of fluent English? It makes no sense.

And I was so disgusted with their leader Jadis because of her treachery that I wanted to see her and her band essentially wiped out by our heroes. They should not have escaped as relatively unscathed as they did.

In truth, I am tired of her.

Enough T.V. talk.

The first that I became awake enough overnight to wonder on the time, it was 5:59 a.m. I had slept unusually well.

I was still tired, but I opted to rise so that I could get to work finishing and finally publishing the Thai-Iceland post I have spent about 10 days developing: Wow Iceland Dubai.

Obviously that title could mean various things, and I reflected that in its content. As examples of what I mean, Wow Rak ice and water theme park in Ras al-Khaimah ─ which is not unimaginably far from Dubai, according to this Google map ─ has an extremely popular section called Ice Land Water Park.

As well, there are actually flights now between Iceland and Dubai. Notable in this context is WOW Air, an airline exclusive to Iceland.  

And finally, the exclamation "Wow!" can simply denote anything at all concerning Iceland or Dubai that might elicit that response.

Consequently, there was a wide range of material I felt was allowed to be included in that post. I could have added several more days' work to it, but I just didn't want to ─ that was long enough for one post.

But back to my morning.

My youngest step-son Poté was to rise and leave for work later than I anticipated ─ he is often gone long before 7:00 a.m., but this morning he never even got up until well past that time. And he even showered and had breakfast before leaving for work.

As I suspected, his older brother Tho never went to work. He rose around mid-morning while I was putting together my early breakfast ─ I was planning on taking a nap soon, and I wanted to eat something first so that I would not feel too hungry to feel like exercising later on.

It was nearly 10:00 a.m. when I returned to bed, and just after 11:00 a.m. when my nap was done with ─ I had been drooling, while having some sort of unsettling or weird adventure in a dream I now can remember nothing of.

But it was about then that I heard Tho leave the house.

Did he leave to finally go to work, or did he just head out to the gym he visits not four blocks distant?

Time will tell.

And speak of the devil! He just came back into the house at 12:34 p.m.

He was to shower, and then drench himself in cologne; and then by 1:06 p.m. he had again left, probably to be picked up outside by his girlfriend (Tho is serving a one-year driving suspension).

Soon, it was raining hard, and there was even a stretch of exclusive hailing.

I had thought early in the morning that the day was to yield a few sunny breaks, for at that time there were blue patches of sky around. Later in the morning, however, I noticed that it had begun to lightly rain, and that carried through to the worse weather in the early afternoon.

Just prior to Tho showing up from a probable workout at the gym, towards the middle of the noon-hour I had heard quite a commotion of noise from crows and something else outside.

But I will let the description beneath the rather boring five-minute video I took tell about it ─ but before the video, these three photos:




While working at my computer, I could hear what sounded like somebody agitating crows by badly mimicking their calls ─ it was actually getting annoying.

Eventually I began to wonder if maybe it was not a human making the sounds.

So I checked out a window, and sure enough ─ there was a much larger bird than a crow up in a leafless nearby tree.

Unfortunately, this is the first time that I have ever recorded video with my iPhone, so I have no idea yet how to find and use any zoom feature it might have.

And since it is a cloudy day, the birds are all pretty much just dark silhouettes in the tree.

I'm sure the bird was just a hawk ─ it was likely too afraid to try to fly because it couldn't outrun the crows, and they would keep harassing it.

I gave up recording after about five minutes. I had been hearing the birds for at least that long before I thought to check and see what the fuss was.

Once I had returned to my computer, it was only a few minutes more when the hawk must have taken flight and ended up in a much more distant tree for a number more of minutes.

After that, it must have again taken flight and ended up out of earshot, for I no longer heard it or the crows.
♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀

I sure pity anyone who needs to be taking blood thinners.

Unfortunately, not everyone taking them should be doing so.

A recent study has found that for people with low-risk atrial fibrillation (A-fib), blood thinners ─ which get prescribed to reduce the risk of stroke ─ actually more than double that risk.

Here are some reports on the study:

ScienceDaily.com

Consumer.HealthDay.com

JacksDailyDose.com

If anticoagulants are so dangerous for low-risk atrial fibrillation patients, it rather eludes me as to why they are not similarly regarded as dangerous for high-risk atrial fibrillation sufferers?

But blood thinners aside, there is even more in the news concerning ALL a-fib patients ─ and anyone else who might be taking a drug called digoxin. Despite the drug having been around longer than most of us have been alive, it is still being prescribed for heart problems even though it increases the risk of death from any cause by up to twice as much.

Here are a couple of reports about this:

ScienceDaily.com

HSIonline.com

So if you have A-fib at any level, beware of whatever it is that you are being prescribed. Most physicians haven't the time to keep abreast of all of the latest research ─ they rely upon established medical information, and whatever it is that the pharmaceutical industry provides to them.

You need to do your own research into the latest developments and findings concerning medications you may be taking.

ÑÑÑÑÑÑÑ

Keep this in mind now, if you are far from your senior years ─ but if you are already a senior, then you need to know about this latest finding concerning statin medications to reduce cholesterol.

Research has the proof now that statin use increases the risk of developing diabetes ─ in fact, one out of every 20 elderly women who take statin medications will develop diabetes.

Remember, these women didn't have the disease before. And if they were predisposed to it, then it would have made an appearance long before they became 75 or older.

The statins were entirely at fault.

Here are some reports about the research:

ScienceDaily.com

MedicalNewsToday.com

WorldHealth.net

JacksDailyDose.com

Follow the advice offered in that last report. A sensible diet with the proper nutritional supplementation leaves no need for anything as harmful as statin medications.

God certainly never designed them, nor did He intend us to be consuming them. Unfortunately, that even goes for much of what is sold today as food!

ÑÑÑÑÑÑÑ

I covered this topic within the past few days already, but carpal tunnel syndrome affects many of us, and these findings concerning surgery versus proper physical therapy are essential to know about:

Consumer.HealthDay.com

HospiMedica.com

ConsumerHealthDigest.com

HSIonline.com

Always avoid surgery for anything whatsoever if there is a viable alternative.

♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀

I had misgivings about my capacity to be able to fully exercise today ─ I just feel off. The consideration was to just postpone the worst of the exercise for tomorrow.

Nevertheless, I somehow found the resolve to head on out to the small shed in the backyard and do what I could.

Well, I managed to at least match a session I had out there last week ─ a session which happened to be my best performance thus far this year.

Obviously, how one may be feeling is not always a sound barometer of what one is going to be able to do.

I also want to mention that yesterday I weighed in at 182 or 183 pounds. A few days earlier, I was up to at about 186 pounds.

For most of my adult life, I have weighed in the lower 180s, so I don't like hitting or climbing above that 185 mark. I suppose I should mention that I am just a shade under five feet and 11 inches in height. 

Since at least my early 20s, I have preferred to identify myself as being 5' 10¾'' in height (1.8 metres, or 154.305 centimetres). After all, whoever said that we had to limit ourselves to precise inches? 

And who really is exactly that final inch in height that a person may claim? 

Thus my fussy precision about my height.

I close now with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster. I was renting it in a house located on Ninth Street, and about two houses up from Third Avenue. 
SATURDAY, April 10, 1976

About 1:00 a.m. I awoke from my alarm accidentally set, and thereafter was unable to sleep worrying over my future: no money, good food and clothes, superb health, and attractive hair. So many things.

Dad had his birthday unnoticed by me, as Alex, and now Bill on coming Sunday; Cathy said something about celebrating it in the U.S.

Anyway, I eventually took this opportunity to visit the park (Queen's), gaining fair exercise thereby. I should be abed before 4:00 a.m.

Well, I didn't sleep all that well, and finally got up about 7:20 a.m.

I hit the library this sunny morning and borrowed Cooper's The New Aerobics and Our Unknown Earth by François Derrey.

I left here thinking of inspecting the yogurt-maker purported to be at Hometown, but I stopped off at Bill's first. Only his mother was home. I visited for a while, then the phone rang; his mother said it was for me.

It was Norman. Bill came back during our conversation.

Anyway, Bill was to celebrate his birthday tonight, and Eric, whose day was today.

Norman expressed interest in perhaps going to the U.S. with us, Mark, & Cathy. So, after taking Bill's mother home and enjoying 2 glasses of milk, we picked up Eric and headed for Norman. His aloof father, however, said he'd gone out with Dave.

Thus, after getting Mark & Cathy, we went to Bellingham without him.

I never at all wanted to go, for my health's and finances' sakes.

We drank in the Gus & Nap's. Eric talked and talked and was offensively polite, while Cathy hit her moods.

We stayed till closing, and I managed my drinking, but was tired and remorseful over spending $6.50, badly needed. Cathy irritated me, poking around daring for any trouble. So I kept a barrier betwixt us.

I got to bed..., well, long past 3:00 a.m.  
My father Hector's birthday had been back in early February. I reckon I must never have spared him a thought. I don't know why it mattered much to me that I had missed the birthday of my mother Irene Dorosh's husband Alex ─ maybe I was just stating facts, and it hadn't bothered me.

The nine-block walk over to (and back from) Queen's Park ─ and the exercising I would have gotten at its outdoor fitness circuit doing things like chin-ups and parallel bar dips ─ undoubtedly would have done much to quell my worrying. The wee hours of the night can be the worst time for finding oneself beset with such fears and concerns ─ it does no good to just be lying in bed when in that wakeful state.

The public library was only about three blocks away from my room ─ the library was up on Sixth Avenue.

I now have no idea where nor what was "Hometown" where I had thought to check out a yogurt-maker, but my old friend William Alan Gill was renting a bachelor suite that may have been four or so blocks from my room. His mother Anne Gregory was quite a fixture at his place on the weekends because he always had her over to clean, do his laundry, cook, and even select his groceries for him when they went shopping together.

Obviously Bill had a car, for Anne lived over in Maillardville, renting a place of her own there.

Richard Norman Dearing was another old friend of mine who was living 'upcountry,' so he was temporarily back visiting his family at the family home in Surrey. As I recall, they were living near 64th Avenue & 128th Street ─ I remember some sort of large water tower or some such nearby.

If I knew who Norman's friend "Dave" was, I certainly no longer do.

Eric was an older fellow living in New Westminster whom we somewhat knew through my maternal relatives, the Halversons, who lived well out in Surrey. He was frequently at their home when we would be partying there on weekends.

As much as I generally loved my younger brother Mark's girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther, she could get into some ugly moods. We were probably at "Gus & Nap's" tavern far longer than she wanted to be; or else she just did not like it there. Maybe she just got terribly bored, but had to sit and wait it out.

It may not seem like much now, but $6.50 often meant a lot of money to me back then. And I had never really even wanted to go drinking. The deciding factor involving me might have been the prospective pleasure of hooking up with my old friend Norman, but he had robbed me of that pleasure by not being home when we came for him.

And now I was committed to going to Washington State to drink ─ like it or not. It would certainly be no boost at all having dear Jeanette at her sourest.  
Post a Comment