.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Friday, April 14, 2017

Simple Strategy to Improve Levels of Blood Lipids │ Becoming a Longer Sleeper in Later Life Is a Dementia Warning Sign

Last evening my younger brother Mark announced that he would be heading over to Vancouver Island this morning to visit his old friend Frank until Sunday, obviously spending two nights over there with Frank and his wife Sandra.

Today is a statutory holiday for Mark, although Monday is not ─ many other people do get Monday off as well, however.

I am still bummed out at myself for foolishly mailing off a bill payment yesterday that is due on Monday, thinking that there ought to be sufficient time available for it to be delivered on time ─ I had utterly disassociated that long weekend from my timeline. So there will not only be no mail delivery today, but probably not on Monday, either.

What especially irks me is why Rogers presents a due date that is on a holiday! The buggers should at least have had the courtesy to offer a due date for the first day after the long weekend; or else have dated the payment as due on Thursday before the four-day long weekend.

They in effect helped lull me into that disassociation of the weekend coming up from being the long weekend.

I got to bed at 11:02 p.m. last night, but felt stimulated or wired, as if I had consumed excess coffee. This was pretty much how I felt all night. I suppose part of my initial disturbance was uncertainty whether my wife Jack would be showing up late from Vancouver to delay or disrupt my sleep.

She never came, though; and so I am expecting her sometime today.

My first break in sleep that found me curious enough to check the time was at 1:25 a.m., so I rose to use the bathroom and to have a drink of water.

I had some rather peculiar dreams overnight, but now remember nothing of them. Just after 5:00 a.m. I checked the time again, deciding that it was too early to get up; so I rolled over with my pillow lengthwise beneath my torso in an effort to find sleep once more.

After what seemed like several minutes, the effort felt futile, so I rolled over and checked the time once more because it was peculiarly light outside ─ it was now 6:41 a.m. I had fallen asleep without realizing it.

So I rose for the day.

My youngest step-son was already up; and at 7:20 a.m., he was out the door to his car to drive to work. He's in the retail field, so the store doesn't close for the observance of Easter.

His older brother Tho had left late last afternoon with his girlfriend in her car, and so he never came back to sleep here.

Mark got up soon after Poté had gone; and well before 9:00 a.m., he was away to catch the ferry to the Island. He usually parks near the terminal and becomes a foot passenger; Frank will pick him up at the other side.

And no wonder! From what I understand, it costs $12.50 per passenger aged 12 and older; plus the cost for a standard vehicle would be an additional $57.50. So why pay for his van when he's only going to be a guest of Frank and Sandra? It won't be as if he's going to be touring around.

When he left, I was putting content into the old post I am editing at my website My Retirement Dream. But I was to break off from the work in order to ready for a local bit of grocery shopping at the No Frills store in the Cedar Hills shopping plaza (128th Street and 96th Avenue) about four blocks away from here where I live in Surrey.

It had been raining earlier in the morning, but that had stopped. And soon after I left here around 9:15 a.m., I experienced sunny breaks in the overcast sky.

Once back home, I finished today's work on the old post edit, and I am now gearing up for some exercise in the small backyard shed before I have my first meal of the day. It is 12:29 p.m.

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼

This ought to be a crashing bore for most people ─ a slew of photos that were perhaps taken November 12, 2016, at what I think may have been the CentralPlaza in Udon Thani, or possibly UD Town in that same city.

I was at the former back in 2005 when it was the Charoensri Complex ─ that was the last time I was ever in Udon Thani or Thailand itself. At that time, UD Town never existed, so I have clearly not ever been there.

But most of these photos seem to have been taken at or near a Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise, and there happens to be one at both CentralPlaza and UD Town in Udon Thani ─ as well as at least two other locations in the city.

So many of the photos of the children are taken by a very shaky hand, leading me to suspect that maybe my wife Jack lent the camera to someone else to use ─ someone unaccustomed to using it.

But let's get this over with! I only know who one of the kids is, so I'll interject and say so when a shot of him appears:



I think Daniel is the kid beneath the white heart surrounded by red. He is the son of Penn, the second oldest of my wife Jack's two sisters:






This is a somewhat clearer view of Daniel ─ he is the seated boy looking at the camera:



An almost perfectly clear shot of Daniel ─ whose father is Italian, incidentally:

















We're done!

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼

Do you or anyone you love have type 2 diabetes ─ or are you even at risk for it?

The following is from NewMarketHealth.com:
Some new research has found a way to help diabetics beat heart disease!

It's not complicated, and it doesn't involve taking drugs. In fact, it can be summed up in one line: "Stand up, sit less, and move more -- particularly after meals."

Australian researchers have found that patients with type 2 diabetes (especially those with some extra pounds) who exercised or moved around during the day did much better in tests measuring the amount of lipids, or fats, in their bloodstream than those who tended to be couch potatoes.

And the higher the amounts of such fats in the blood, the greater the risk of other heart disease triggers, like inflammation and insulin resistance.

According to the study, published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, simply "breaking up sitting" during the day can work wonders in reducing your lipid levels. And the benefits of moving (and not just moving from the dining room to the living room!) were found to be especially important after meals.

Lead author Dr. Megan Grace of the Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute in Melbourne said that her team found frequent breaks of simple resistance exercise or light walking were "equally beneficial in reducing blood lipids."

Translation: A stroll around the house works just as good as squats!

The Australian study isn't the first to show a link between small amounts of activity and heart health benefits. Last year, Canadian researchers found that people who did nominal amounts of exercise were still able to significantly lower their heart disease risk factors.

So when you're finished reading this, get up and move around for about three minutes. And try to keep doing that periodically throughout the day so you're not sitting for too long.

And after a while, I bet it will become second nature!
Here are a couple of other reports on the Australian study:

Reuters.com

Diabetes.co.uk

All of us can benefit from the advice to periodically get up off our butts and just move around for a few minutes!

ÔÔÔÔÔÔÔ

There is one warning sign of impending future dementia or even cognitive impairment that I sure don't have ─ namely, sleeping for nine hours at a stretch. Hell, I usually cannot even bear to be lying down that long ─ my back starts aching, as do sometimes even one or both knees.

Of course, sleeping too few hours is equally negative.

However, this time a study focused on the longer term in bed ─ note these reports about it:

MedicalXpress.com

TheSun.co.uk

Express.co.uk

JacksDailyDose.com

This sleeping indicator of dementia onset seems to be one that develops in one's later adult life ─ in other words, the sleeper gradually developed into a longer sleeper over time. It is not the sleeping itself that brings on the dementia ─ the excess sleeping is merely a symptom of what is coming. Forcibly trying to alter the sleeping pattern is futile.

ÔÔÔÔÔÔÔ

Even women ought to find something of interest in this article whose title only touches upon one of three topics that are brought up for discussion:

DrMicozzi.com

But concerning the low libido issue resulting from excessive exercise, could it really be simply that the 'athlete' is in a perpetual state of being overtired even if it is not realized? It's not a case of being underslept or just plain drowsy. Rather, the entire organism is drained of that vital 'something.'

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼

Today became quite sunny, albeit a chill breeze made the upstairs here in the house uncomfortable due to the four windows that are partly open ─ the three bedrooms and the bathroom.

I should have been outside benefiting from the day, even if I had just sat in a chair out in the backyard under the Sun.

It is one more reason that I am seriously considering abandoning blogging once the warm weather is here. The hours spent sitting here in front of my computer doing this every day certainly are not paying off. Between my six hosted websites and this blog, I have only averaged 1¢ a day in total over the past month in AdSense revenue.

I am sacrificing my life just for that?

And now at 6:22 p.m., my wife Jack has arrived home.

I am closing out for today with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster. The house I was renting the small space in was located on Ninth Street, perhaps two houses up from Third Avenue.

In store for the day was the 1½-hour hike out to visit my mother Irene Dorosh in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey. Hers was my main mailing address.

That little house that she shared with her husband Alex no longer exists, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue. 
WEDNESDAY, April 14, 1976

I awoke around 6:00 a.m.; it took me a long while to get to sleep last night.

I did my laundry, and bought 3 comics and a Kotter TV Guide

It is raining.

I'll head for mom's at 9:20 a.m. (she is supposed to go out for the most of my time there).

I was over the bridge summit when a guy in a Volkswagen stopped to give me a ride. He made 2 stops, then let me off at 90th Ave. & 132nd St. 

I got to mom's as she was finishing a note to me prior to leaving. When she did, I saw no more of her this floody day.

Mail was my Plain Truth (back to magazine format) and a letter from a Vincent Black which merely stated he had returned to reading The Avengers. The printing was barely legible, the address (in Chicago, according to the post mark) was not, and the envelope bore a 10¢ rather than a 13¢ stamp. Some young kid.

Anyway, I ate more today than I should have, but with today's miserable weather, it didn't tax me much.

It was good to get home.

After 9:00 p.m. I went to Queen's Park for what turned out to be mere token exercise; it was too cold and wet.

I'll bed at 11:30 p.m.
This was the cover of that TV Guide I had bought while I was at the laundromat up on Sixth Avenue near the public library:


The fellow who stopped for me on the Pattullo Bridge must have been a kindly soul. However, from the look of where he dropped me off, the stretch of 90th Avenue to my mother's home did not reach beyond 128th Street, so I would have needed to work my way to it from 132nd Street.

That would have been rather inconveniencing. Thus, between whatever two stops the driver had made, and this walk of about a mile to get to my mother's home, I might well have lost time with that ride than had any advantage from it.

I don't imagine that I would ever have tried to perform a polite act to write back Vincent Black ─ not if I could not read his address.

It's interesting that after walking back to my room that afternoon, I still had the energy to care to visit Queen's Park in the evening. There is an outdoor fitness circuit there that I used to like to use for exercises like chin-ups and parallel bar dips. But with the equipment dripping with rain, chin-ups would have essentially been impossible.

Okay, I must get downstairs and offer some company to my wife Jack, although her youngest son Poté is home. Jack brought in lots of groceries, and intends to start cooking...but I am far from hungry after my earlier meal.
Post a Comment