.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Weight Training Exceeds Aerobics for Brain Health │ Study: Statin Side Effects Are Essentially Imagined │ Newest Diet Coke Founded Upon Lies

As too often happens, last evening my younger brother Mark spent most of his time in the living room sitting unconscious in his chair.

I wondered if I would be leaving him that way when I came upstairs to start readying for bed, but before I had shut myself up in my bedroom I peeked down and saw that the 64-year-old had revived.

I was in bed at 10:39 p.m. Had the beer-swiller been conscious over the evening and actually watching T.V. sensibly with me, I would have stayed up for one more programme. However, I don't need to be sitting up late with a snoring, gurgling lump seated not a yard to my right.

Sleep proved somewhat difficult to seize upon, which rather surprised me, for early in the evening I had felt unusually drowsy.

As is generally the case for me, I had a number of blocks of sleep overnight rather than one solid venture into slumberland, and I once rose during one of those breaks to use the bathroom and drink some water.

It was 6:24 a.m. this morning when I checked the time with an eye to rising, but it took me about five minutes to actually do it.

I was quite surprised to find my youngest stepson Poté already up when I went downstairs to prepare my day's first hot mug of blended instant coffee / cocoa powder. He seemed to be readying himself to leave for somewhere, but I didn't address him.

I didn't take note of just when he left, but it may have been no later than 7:00 a.m. Could he have had to work today?

I supplied a usual day's worth of content in the post I am working on at my Lawless Spirit website ─ both Mark and my eldest stepson Tho had risen during that time ─ and then I opted to seek a nap over some of the remaining late morning. The day seemed to be cloudless, and I hoped to get some time out in the backyard soaking up some of that exceptional sunshine.

The noon-hour had not yet arrived when I resurrected from what nap I managed to enjoy. I was hoping that Mark had by then sought his own nap and I would be free to get myself out into the backyard, but he was still extant downstairs ─ I could see the vacuum cleaner sitting before the base of the stairs.

I didn't realize it at the time, but only Mark was home ─ Tho had already taken off for somewhere.

So I decided to come downstairs and make my day's second hot mug of blended instant coffee / cocoa powder ─ only to have the question snarled at me, "Do you know what's wrong with the vacuum?"

I certainly did not, but I don't appreciate being victimized with his anger every bloody time he's in a foul mood, so I just quietly uttered a wordless sound indicating the negative.

Mark then acknowledged that the villain had done the damage in secret without revealing him- or herself as the perpetrator to anyone, and then he growled on with something about how he hates "blah, blah, blah..." ─ but we had moved beyond one another, and I never heard just what he was griping out.

It was upsetting enough that I just felt like leaving the house and getting the hell away from the miserable jerk...but I had absolutely nowhere to go. As I always identify, there are naught but miles of streets, buildings, and people everywhere around our home, so I never go anywhere without purpose ─ it is just too unpleasant being out there.

It's a bugger never having become a driver, and needing to walk everywhere. And it's not any easier now that I am 67 years of age.

Well, Mark apparently decided to do some 'weed whacking' with the string trimmer (I don't know if it's an official Weed Eater or not), leaving me in peace to browse through the morning Vancouver Sun and enjoy my hot beverage.

He mucked about in the backyard first; and then I took these half-dozen photos of him through the living room window once he was working in the front yard:







Google then took it upon itself to create this rather interesting panorama:


Anyway, it is now 1:23 p.m., and Mark just a short time ago retired to his bedroom as I worked upon this post.

One thing further ─ it relates to last evening just prior to my own retirement for the night. I made a final check of my AdSense account for the day. The balance for the day had held 1¢ when I checked just before beginning that day's post in this blog; but at that final check, I was most surprised to see a full $1 had accrued over the remainder of that day.

I'm now going to go and sit outside and enjoy that sunshine.

╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩

I suppose that it has always stood to reason that by maintaining a sustained and continuous flow of blood through the brain ─ such as in prolonged aerobics or running, for instance ─ we are providing great benefit to the health of the brain.

Well, apparently not. The heavy-duty bodybuilders and the weightlifters were actually benefiting their brains to far superior effect all along.

LifeSpa.com

But that isn't to say that an activity like running does not also contribute to brain health ─ just not as much as weight training, apparently.

Heck, even walking helps ─ just not as much as would running; but apparently walking is somehow more beneficial than cycling. See Consumer.HealthDay.com: Walk Your Way to Better Brain Health?

I also suggest checking out the DailyMail.co.uk article How walking benefits the brain: Impact of feet hitting the ground opens up arteries and increases blood flow. The article finishes with some very interesting information about running.

ööööööö

My thoughts are that statin medications should not exist. I have read far too much damning problems relating to them, as well as reports ─ studies ─ that have found them to be utterly overrated and dangerously unnecessary.

However, a recent study has reached the conclusion that people taking these medications may be expecting side effects, and this is why there are so many claimants reporting problems with the drugs.

I learned of this study from the following commentary:

JacksDailyDose.com

The claim in that report that the dosage given to study participants was "ridiculously low — far lower than what most people take today" was too difficult for me to substantiate. I just don't have the time to spend figuring it out, and I could not readily see any references being made to just what levels were being administered to the study participants.

Or else I may have just skimmed right by that detail somehow.

But here are a few other reports about the study:

Imperial.ac.uk

PainNewsNetwork.org

NHS.uk

At least a couple of mentions are made that the study was funded by the Pharmaceutical Industry ─ one even said that it was made possible through "an unrestricted grant" ─ how would you like to have access to that kind of cash?

I don't know about you, but I think that it would be the most incredible thing if the Pharmaceutical Industry ever paid for a study that yielded overall negative results and then still went ahead and published it anyway!

ööööööö

What nonsense this is:

Independent.co.uk

The healthiest yet?! Who wrote that short piece ─ Coca-Cola itself?

Here are a couple of other just-slightly-less biased reports:

BusinessInsider.com

HuffingtonPost.com

I by far prefer this report:

JacksDailyDose.com

Sometimes I feel so hopeless about people that I just want to wash my hands of 'em and declare that soda drinkers deserve every ill that befalls them.

╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩

My younger brother Mark must have been too anxious about getting out to join his drinking buddies to be able to relax into a snooze. I was only outside about 15 minutes before he poked his head out the sliding glass door to the sundeck to announce that he was taking off and would lock the front door, since no one else was in the house.

At least he was again civil.

If all goes well between him and his girlfriend Bev, he will spend tonight at her home, and I will have the T.V. to myself this evening.

By the way, yes, I did get my sunshine ─ I sat out there in a chair for just over 40 minutes, beginning at 1:42 p.m. And once done, I took on a bit of exercising in the small tool shed.

If the weather predictions come true, the next three days should also be sunny.

I wish to close out today's post now with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster. I was renting the little set-up in a house located on Ninth Street, and about two houses up from Third Avenue.

I was newly employed on a full-time basis with a New Westminster charitable organization called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends) that was then housed in an old building that is now gone, but which used to be located right around where the New Westminster SkyTrain Station empties out onto Carnarvon Street.

I had worked for S.A.N.E. before ─ for many, many months stretching back into 2015, if not even 2014; but at most, I only ever put in a day per week. I had been a swamper on their blue pick-up truck.

However, since being re-hired on a full-time basis for a possible three- or four-month contract, I had no such defined role, and often struggled to pass the time.
THURSDAY, May 20, 1976

Gee, it was about 7:00 a.m. when I woke up this morning! A good sleep at last!

Regardless the lateness, I did my laundry, and bought 2 comics and a "Laverne and Shirley" TV Guide.

I read the Marvels at lunch.

Jeepers life is dull at S.A.N.E.; I was far better off unemployed.

Bill is going to pick me up tonight to accompany him for a fast trip to Mark's to drop off some foods (I am to receive a couple banana cream pies) and a trip to deliver some school texts for an aborted course Bill thought he wanted. I'm going to try and persuade him to hit Shop-Easy; they are selling chuck steaks for 79¢ lb.

Well, I didn't broach this latter (Bill works till 7:00 p.m. tomorrow, so I'm going to meet him then at his car). I accompanied him to Mark's, and that was it. Only Cathy and the girls (Michelle has chicken pox!) were home.

We visited till after 9:30 p.m., and it was for me we left that early.

I contributed $1.08 toward a bottle of bubbly (Sangrolay?) we 3 split.

Bed at 10:20 p.m.

She rather wanted us to stay some longer.
I would do my laundry a little over three blocks away at a laundromat that I believe was on Sixth Avenue, and very near to the public library. I cannot recall where the store was that I would have bought the literature while involved with the wait of laundering, however.

This would have been the cover to the TV Guide I came home with:


My old friend William Alan Gill probably didn't live too much more than about four blocks from my room. He was renting a bachelor suite.

Bill worked at a cannery that no longer exists now, but which was known as Royal City Foods ─ "Royal City" being an old nickname for New Westminster. The cannery would have been his source for the food that he wanted to take over to my younger brother Mark and Mark's girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther. The couple were renting a home together located on Bentley Road in Whalley

Beautiful Jeanette had two equally beautiful little girls ─ Michelle Lee Gunther was the oldest, and probably just into Grade I. 

When Jeanette was at her best, she was practically irresistible. It would have been difficult to beg off from her to return to New Westminster. Mark was probably working the afternoon / evening shift, so she wouldn't have wanted to be spending the remainder of the evening by herself ─ if her little girls had not yet gone to bed, they soon would have. 
Post a Comment