.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Carotenoids for Mental Well-Being, and Type 2 Diabetes Defence │ Three Easy Procedures for Dental, Heart, and Immunity Optimization

It was likely very early last evening when my wife Jack finally showed up here in Surrey from Vancouver ─ I had been expecting her, but did not have any certainty of just when she might arrive.

She was busy cooking by the time my younger brother Mark arrived home from the bar.

He was to struggle a little with his grip on consciousness while parked in his chair in front of the T.V. He essentially missed the episode of Arrow I had tuned in, but he primarily followed The 100 that played out next.

It was not until around 10:40 p.m. that he left us for his bedroom.

Jack rather fooled me thereafter by getting to bed unexpectedly early. It was possibly 11:15 p.m. when I noticed that our bedroom door was just slightly ajar, and the light was out.

My awareness had been deflected somewhat by another annoying late evening shower by her youngest son Poté. He had kept me up the previous evening with his late shower because he had his girlfriend downstairs in the boys' den area, and thus I was unable to use the toilet that is located there for some final relief prior to getting to bed.

The bathroom with the shower is upstairs and immediately adjacent to my bedroom.

I had to wait him out Tuesday evening. But at least she was not here last night, and so I was able to use that facility in the den, and was in bed before he had yet vacated the upstairs bathroom.

I hope Jack managed to sleep better than usual. I rose once during the night to use the bathroom and drink a little water. And it was 6:34 a.m. when I checked the time in the morning and decided to get up for the day, even though I did not feel at all well slept.

Her eldest son Tho usually takes advantage of his mother's presence and rouses her in the morning around 6:00 a.m. to drive him the mile or so to the SkyTrain so that he won't have to bother taking his usual bus to get there ─ he works out in Burnaby.

But I was unaware of Jack needing to get up to do this. I was later to learn from her that he had left her alone for a change. Perhaps he got a ride to the SkyTrain with his younger brother Poté, for Poté was not here when I rose and came downstairs for my morning's hot beverage.

The day was to be flawlessly sunny.

I got the entirety of the work done that I had hoped to perform at the post I am building at my Latin Impressions website. By then it was around 11:00 a.m., and I had rallied sufficiently that I felt capable of some exercise out in the backyard tool shed.

I got that done; and upon re-entering the house, I found that Jack was up for the day.

Sometimes she goes off to do some shopping or some other errand after spending a night here, but that was not to be today. She just concentrated on doing more cooking.

And just ahead of 2:30 p.m., I was to see her off on her return drive to Vancouver. I was home alone.

I suppose that I could have done some sunning, but this post was looming, and the afternoon was of course pressing on. Besides, either of my two stepsons could be home at any point from that time forward.

And here we are! It is presently 3:28 p.m. as I type this.

I noticed a couple of nutritional articles today that rather intersected nicely.

You very likely realize that poor nutrition can affect the health of the mind, and at the very least its moods. If you do indeed accept that premise, then this first article should be of some interest to you:

DrMicozzi.com

The article spotlighted a couple of key carotenoids, which have some tie-in with vitamin A ─  one of them (β-carotene, or beta carotene) is a precursor of that vitamin.

Well, it turns out that research has found that vitamin A has powerful implications where prevention and treatment of type 2 diabetes is concerned ─ this is the second article:

HSIonline.com

This second article cited a reference, but didn't link to it ─ here is the link:

ScienceDaily.com

I surely do wish that I could afford supplementing with the two macular carotenoids featured in the very first report: lutein and zeaxanthin. My eyes' vision is in terrible condition, but my pension does not allow the extravagance of these two carotenoids as supplements. 

It concerns me that I may be developing macular degeneration.

Unfortunately for those of us who do not live in an Eden or paradise, true health requires sufficient income to support it. And it is nonsense to defend anything contrary to that declaration.  

I located the study referred to in that very first report about the carotenoids and their benefit in reducing stress, depression, and anxiety. I want to quote the final paragraph of the study, for it made some qualifications that the DrMicozzi.com article omitted to mention.

First, however, I need to clarify some abbreviations in the paragraph. To start, MC simply signifies 'macular carotenoids.'

The three other abbreviations ─ BAI, BDI, and BSI ─ just refer to stress questionnaires or evaluations.

Here is that final paragraph and its qualifications or reservations: 
As with any study, caution should be exercised before extending these results to other populations. Although there are advantages in terms of experimental control to studying a fairly homogeneous group, it can limit external validity. Our subjects were similar along many dimensions, including age, BMI, education level, and current life status (i.e. college student); our findings may therefore hold true for this  group,  but  may  not  extend  to  others. Additionally, it may be tempting to interpret the behavioural data (BAI, BDI, and BSI) as evidence for the ability of MC supplementation to reduce anxiety or depression. None of our subjects were diagnosed with depression or an anxiety disorder. Our results simply suggest that supplementation with the MCs can reduce symptoms (however few) of anxiety and / or depression. In order to address other populations (e.g. clinically anxious or depressed individuals), additional studies would need to be conducted. In the future, we hope to investigate the effects characterized in the present study in subjects with different life-style and dietary habits, in different age groups, and different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Now I want to refer you to a very good article on dental hygiene:

LifeSpa.com

I am quite pleased that to some degree, I seem to be applying all three of those so-called steps.

I certainly do not own a tongue scraper as described in that article, but I have long done some brushing of my tongue ─ both the top and beneath it ─ after brushing my teeth.

However, I just tend to brush my teeth once a day ─ in the evening after my supper. I do it while watching T.V. because I take a minimum of around 15 minutes to do the brushing, and so it would be dreadfully boring otherwise.

I have been using coconut oil instead of a toothpaste ─ and this is another reason for brushing while comfortably reclined as I watch T.V. The oil would probably be running out of my mouth if I was just standing before a bathroom mirror and more or less leaning over a sink.

And since I use the coconut oil, I am also practically following step two, the oil pulling. Once I am done the lengthy brushing session, I swish the oil around for a couple or more minutes.

It all gets expectorated into the flower garden in our front yard ─ it is not a good thing to be pouring any sort of oil or grease into a drain because of the clogging troubles that drain and sewer pipes are ultimately prone to. 

Finally, I have no idea if the naturally fermented vegetables I have been preparing for myself in the past two or three months would qualify as oral probiotics, but eating a hearty helping of these certainly does a thorough cleansing of the mouth when the dish follows a meal as a top-up.

I always rinse out my mouth with water rather thoroughly after a good feed of my fermented vegetables, for I suspect that the fermentation acids are probably harmful to just leave in the mouth and thereby bathing the teeth for any length of time.     

Well, I think I have rambled on about the health topic long enough for one post.

Here to close out today's effort is a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting in a private home located on Ninth Street, and about two houses up from Third Avenue.

By this date, I am sure that I had completed at least a full first month of full-time employment on what was likely a three-month contract with a New Westminster charitable organization called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends) that is today known as Fraserside Community Services Society.

I had previously had periods of part-time employment with S.A.N.E. that may have stretched back to 1974. Usually, i was a swamper on their blue pick-up truck, which was generally driven by Esther St. Jean, a good-humoured and spirited lady in her early 40s.

"The store," as we generally referred to S.A.N.E., was housed in those early years in an old building on Carnarvon Street. That building no longer exists, but its location was roughly where the New Westminster SkyTrain Station now opens up onto Carnarvon Street.  
TUESDAY, June 29, 1976

I got up about 6:45 a.m.

When I got home last night my foot ─ the left ─ to the front and just above the ankle was sore as if the bone itself were harmed; it's just as bad this morning.

I'm going to Woodward's this morning for 3 money orders ($9.98 for a tape, $3 for a Western Lottery ticket for Mark, and $2 for my Sunburst Biorganics debt payoff) and a can of peanut butter. 

I also bought some basil and oregano. I'm gonna have my pizza Thursday.

I had a slow, dragging day, but the furniture loading at Shirley's woke me up. I even had a plain hamburger and a beer.

I have to show up quite early tomorrow (9:15 a.m.) to help clear out whatever S.A.N.E. wants of the pickings. 

Took, Gordie, Steve, Mike Fleming, Bill Sevenko, another fellow, and later, Gilles, all assisted tonight. I didn't get home till after 8:30 p.m.

David, drunk, dropped in at the store today. He came after lunch too, but I was out.

The day was clouded, and we had some rain.

Bed at 10:00 p.m.
Woodward's department store used to exist on Sixth Avenue; the Royal City Centre Mall occupies that area now.

My younger brother Mark's birthday was coming up in July, and hence the lottery ticket. I am sure that I had more than just that for him, though.

The pizza I was planning for Thursday would be entirely from scratch, including yeast-raised bread dough for the crust.

It must have been Shirley Johnston or Johnson for whom we were loading up a three-ton truck that had been rented to move her ─ I had written in the previous day's journal entry that the family was moving to Quesnel, but I still think that it was more likely somewhere near Princeton or Hedley

I want to know for certain, for it has always been of some importance to me. However, I do not read ahead into these journal entries, so I must wait to find out.

It was Philip David Prince who showed up drunk at S.A.N.E. He was an old friend whom I first got to know in school at least a dozen years earlier. 

David was living at this time in room #3 at 115 Tenth Street, if I recorded the address correctly. I believe that it was a huge rooming complex generally known as the Fraser Apartments.

They were demolished many years ago, and I can no longer recall their location. So if the map is accurate as to where those apartments had been, I cannot say.

By the way, I learned from my youngest stepson Poté (when he came home from work) that he did not drive his older brother Tho to the SkyTrain this morning.
Post a Comment