.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Friday, June 16, 2017

Rose Hips and Weight Loss │ Information About Melatonin

We certainly got our rain around here yesterday!

My younger brother Mark was in better shape than usual last evening, and was attentive for a full evening of television programming via our Android TV Box.

Our last show ─ Stranger Things ─ ran to 10:40 p.m., so he didn't quite get to head on upstairs to his bedroom quite as early as he likely would have liked. He still works for a living, after all, so I expect that his clock-radio remains set for 4:20 a.m. or so.

I was not to be in bed until maybe 10:50 p.m., but I am now speculating ─ the precise time has successfully evaded memory. My youngest stepson Poté had gone out earlier, and was not yet home when I locked up the house and turned off the last light.

Sleep was not perfect, and I did arise once overnight and used the bathroom and drank some water. By 5:45 a.m. I felt awake enough to have gotten up to remain, but I knew my eldest stepson Tho was readying for work.

I chose to just lay and listen to his preparations, and then I decided to see if it would be possible for me to drop back into some sleep if I was to pull my pillow lengthwise under my belly and chest and just relax in that comfortable position.

I must say, it worked! When next I checked the time, I was nearly shocked to see that it was 6:59 a.m. My youngest stepson Poté was up, and I just assumed that he was readying himself for work. He took a shower; and then things downstairs went rather quiet.

I was to find that he had gone to bed. He never did go to work today.

My big plan for the day was simply an early local grocery shopping hike to the No Frills store about four blocks away at the Cedar Hills shopping plaza ─ 96th Avenue & 128th Street here in Surrey.

Among other things, I wanted to get some vegetables to set up for natural fermentation; and to that end, I bought a big green cabbage, a bundle of maybe three large leeks, a small crown of broccoli, and two kohlrabies. I'll set these up tomorrow for fermentation ─ by next Thursday at latest, I'll be able to start helping myself to the healthy naturally pickled vegetables.

Before I left on that errand, however, I had to spruce myself up, for I haven't been to a store in several days ─ I had comparatively long stubble to shave down on both scalp and face. I also had to freshen up. I finally left home at 9:24 a.m., yet had not even begun any work on the post I have going at my Lawless Spirit website ─ all of that work was still ahead.

The day was clearly going to be quite warm and mainly sunny.

I accomplished my errand; and then after returning home, set to work adding content to that website post. It of course helped to run my day rather later than I planned upon.

By the way, when I left on that shopping expedition, I checked the time via my cellphone, and noticed that I had two missed calls ─ from Poté. The last had come around 12:05 a.m. last night.

When he was finally up from bed this afternoon well after 1:00 p.m., I queried him about the calls, asking if he had found himself locked out of the house last night?

"Yes."

He wound up driving over to a friend's home to spend the night.

I explained that I generally wear earplugs at night. And I always do if everyone else in the household has not already gone to bed, for I am far too easily disturbed.

I reckon that he did not wish to garner his older brother Tho's ire by phoning and waking him ─ especially since Tho was to have to go to work, whereas Poté would be having the day off.

Anyway, once I had supplied the Lawless Spirit post with the content that I wanted to add to it today, I lied down for a short time. With such a decent day outside, I opted to sit in some sunshine for awhile, so at 2:13 p.m. I commenced just over 40 minutes out in the backyard after I had changed into a pair of cutoffs ─ I was also barefooted and shirtless.

And then I went into the tool shed for some exercise. I didn't have the motivation for a full session so late in the day, so I never bothered with too much more than the five sets of pull-ups. Besides, my wife Jack phoned me while I was involved, and wanted me to text her the exchange rate for Thai Baht in terms of both Canadian and American dollars.

She said that she was going to have me do an international money transfer for her mother's sake back in Thailand. I don't exactly know how Jack has this worked out, but we transfer the money to Jack herself, who has an account over there in her own name. And then Jack's sister is somehow able to access the funds ─ maybe Jack lets the sister keep Jack's ATM card.

Whatever the case, I got that all squared away or done with.

And then for the first time today, I had a meal. All else I consumed today had been my two hot mugfuls of a richly blended mixture of instant coffee, cocoa powder, demerara brown sugar, honey, blackstrap molasses, and liquid whipping cream ─ all with boiling hot water, of course.

And that about catches me up on my day thus far.

Say, did you know that wild rose hips are not only effective for assisting with weight loss, but they can actually help transform white fat into the healthy brown fat that burns calories instead of storing more of them up as further fat?

Brown fat is like a furnace where calorie burning is concerned.  

You can read a little about rose hips in this article:

DrMicozzi.com

I read years ago that garden variety roses just don't produce the same level of nutritionally potent rose hips that the wild plants do.

When I was a kid, we had all kinds of undeveloped countryside to play in. We just referred to it as "the bush," even though there were of course trees as well as all manner of abundant bushes growing ─ enough to nearly get lost in.  

Surrey used to be like that back in the late 1950s and most of the 1960s. The place has gone far downhill since those child-friendly years ─ it truly is just one enormous sprawling city now.

And I hate it. I don't belong here. But I have far too much debt and familial responsibilities to be able to simply move away to the sort of countryside that I so dearly miss.

Harking back now to my younger brother Mark and the fact that he is still working for a living, he will turn 65 in July, so I don't know just how many more months he will stay working. I would not expect there to be more than it will take to reach the end of the year.

Once he does retire, I am going to counsel him to stop taking melatonin like he currently does every night. I used to take it nightly, too. But then I had to question why I needed to bother if I was retired ─ I can always catch a daytime nap if poor sleep is an issue.

But I never did notice that melatonin actually helped me get to sleep any easier, so I cannot say that it made a difference in that respect. My main benefit was it touted powers in helping the body to restore itself overnight.

However, I normally get to bed ahead of 11:00 p.m., so I am probably gaining enough of the nighttime productive hours when most of it gets produced. I am just going by faulty memory here, but it seems to me that I recall having read that most of it is produced overnight between the hours of  9:00 p.m. or 10:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m.

Yet the simple act of turning on a light during those hours once you have gone to bed will turn off your body's production for that night.

We should not even have on a night light, and we should never be looking at a cellphone screen and probably not even the LED of a clock-radio.

If I lived alone, I would probably go to bed as early in the evening as possible.

Here are a couple of good articles to help you bone up on your melatonin knowledge:

LifeSpa.com


I have had my own concerns that taking melatonin supplementally might weaken the body's resolve to produce its own. I wish that the truth concerning that could be found out.

But that rather fascinates me that so many foods that we can eat contain melatonin.

Okay, it is getting late. I want to post this old photo from my mother Irene Dorosh's collection before bringing today's post to a closure:


Unfortunately, I am unable to identify the couple. The setting reminds me of my mother's final little home off in Keremeos. If that is indeed so, then I can at least try and date the photo as falling somewhere between approximately 1995 to 2005. 

Okay, here to close out with is a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster. I was paying rent in a house on Ninth Street, and maybe two houses up from Third Avenue.

On this date, I was a few weeks into working full-time as a truck swamper on a three- or four-month contract with a New Westminster charitable organization called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends) that is today known as Fraserside Community Services Society

S.A.N.E. only had a blue pick-up truck to work with, but we sure hauled a lot with it!

In those early years, S.A.N.E. was housed in an old building that has since been demolished, but back then it was located where the New Westminster SkyTrain Station sprawls out onto Carnarvon Street.

I see that I had plans after work to hike out and visit my mother who was then living in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey with her husband Alex ─ their home was my main mailing address.

The little house is now gone, but its address used to be 12106 - 90th Avenue. The hike to get there from my room was about 1½ hours of fast walking.
WEDNESDAY, June 16, 1976

Boy, I didn't get up till 7:05 a.m.

I got quite a late start on my laundry (no drying), and bought TV Guide, Avengers #150, and June's Scientific American; there was a very misty rain.

Today was a tedious bore; the truck was fixed, but there wasn't much to do. At the end of the day I was somewhat deflated by Took's borrowing from me of $20.

I felt sapped of vitality all day.

David showed up for a while in the morn, giving me the first dope on Russ Jeffs who apparently is being investigated and may be charged with fraud. From a selfish viewpoint, I am sorry for the trouble I will likely have when I find it necessary to go back on welfare.

I'm leaving for mom's shortly after 7:00 p.m.

A dog on the tracks rather leery of me nearly got itself run over by a train; it was gawking at me over its shoulder.

My mail at mom's included another travelling bag ad from Dryden House in Ontario, a June Plain Truth, and a note from the F.&S.F. Book Co; one of the paperbacks I ordered is unavailable, so they sent me a 60¢ cheque I'll use for credit.

Bill phoned to borrow my typewriter for Cathy; he said he'd come over and pick me up, promising to leave early. Well, she came, so she visited mom & Alex a spell. Thus, my stay at her place was prolonged.

She wants me to come with Bill Friday when he visits her again.

She made an interesting job suggestion for me when I find myself without an income; go janitoring with her. I hope she's willing when the time comes.

I won't be abed tonight before midnight.

I had 3 pieces of cake at mom's; I couldn't resist. And here I'm trying to avoid sugars.
I did my laundry at a laundromat that I believe was located on Sixth Avenue and very near to the public library. So...a little over a three-block walk to get there.

"Took" was an Indigenous Canadian working at S.A.N.E. ─ probably on a contract like my own. I was never in a financial position to be lending out money, so I hated it when someone would 'put the bum' on me. Besides, he was making at least as much money as I was. And we had just gotten paid the day before ─ he had then paid me back $5 he had previously borrowed, and which I was unsure I would be getting back.

And now $20?  

Philip David Prince was an old friend of mine who had his own room in New Westminster. Russ Jeffs was our social worker ─ a genial, elderly, red-headed Englishman. I cannot say that I clearly recall this business of him being suspected of fraud.

Concerning that hike to get to my mother's home, I would travel a little over half of the Surrey distance along a set of railway tracks ─ it was a far pleasanter venue than hiking along Scott Road.

My old friend William Alan Gill was also then resident in New Westminster. He seemed to be visiting my younger brother Mark and Mark's girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther more often than I did ─ but of course, Bill had a car, and I have never owned one. Mark and Jeanette ("Cathy") were then renting a home together in Whalley

When Bill phoned me over at my mother's home, he must have been visiting with Jeanette ─ Mark likely had an evening shift at the mill where he worked. But instead of Bill coming over to pick me up and take me back to my room for the typewriter, Jeanette showed up.

She was extremely close with my mother and Alex, so of course Jeanette would spend some time visiting. And I watched my evening waste away.

But late as it was, I usually very much enjoyed Jeanette's company.

I regret that she and I were never to go into a partnership doing evening office janitorial work ─ it would have been a sheer blast working with that beautiful charmer!
Post a Comment