.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers

Endless

Saturday, August 5, 2017

Coffee Cuts Risk of Death from 'All Causes'

Well, my younger brother Mark came home last evening ─ he hadn't gone with his girlfriend Bev to Kelowna. I was watching a rather poor movie titled Snatched when he showed up.

The movie choice was a gamble, for I had no idea who either of the two main actresses in it were. I don't think that I would have ever recognized Goldie Hawn if I had not seen her name presented in the introductory cast of characters.

I don't exactly recall when Mark showed up ─ perhaps closer to 9:30 p.m. than 9:15 p.m. He got busy cooking himself something, and sat at the dining table reading the free Surrey Now-Leader that had come earlier that day.

My movie was essentially over when he came into the living room to sit in his favourite chair, and holding his beer.

By the time I had tuned out of the credits and selected an episode of Dark Matter that I got started, he was passed out. And so he remained ─ or at least, he was still there when I went to bed maybe a little after 11:00 p.m.

Or maybe it was more like 11:30 p.m. I honestly no longer remember.

Sleep was okay initially, although I believe that I may have risen once during the night to use the bathroom and drink some water.

But my 5:25 a.m. I found myself too conscious to return to sleep, despite lying there and trying for over 10 minutes before deciding to just get up and start my pointless day.

I busied myself laying the foundation of a new post at my hosted website Amatsu Okiya. I was considerably surprised when around 7:52 a.m. the amount of noise I was hearing from Mark's bedroom led me to realize that he was actually getting up for the day as well.

And my eldest stepson Tho did similar not too long thereafter.

Only Tho's younger brother Poté remained in bed ─ and he did so until into the early afternoon.

Mark had been suggesting this past week that he wanted me to order him another package of CAN-C Eye Drops from Canada's Amazon, but I had held off after realizing yesterday that the stuff had gone up something like $9.70 over its price around eight weeks ago when I first placed an order for him.

He is using the product because he had been told while getting his vision checked  awhile back that he had the beginnings of a cataract in an eye, so he's hoping this stuff can reverse the condition.

He doesn't have his own Amazon account, so he has me doing the ordering.

Upon being alerted to the price hike, he was still in favour of having the order placed, so I went ahead with it.

Then I continued setting up that new post at Amatsu Okiya. I suppose that I was finished doing so soon after 9:00 a.m., but my inadequate sleep in conjunction with the strain of sitting her working at my computer had taken sufficient toll that I was ready for a return to bed.

I think I was back in 'the sack' before 9:30 a.m. I napped, although I may not have been down a full hour; and I came out of the nap fresh from a dream involving Mark's former best friend Garry Porteous ─ Garry and I seemed to have gotten ourselves invited to some sort of gathering of possible Indigenous Canadian men in the main or living room of a large old house that we had to access after first working our way up a very steep and narrow incline.

I was left with the impression that we would be doing some drinking there.

I'm so damned alone in my old age that I now have to dream about social conviviality, as well as former old friends.

Anyway, soon after I was up, I heard Tho bidding Mark farewell, and Tho headed out the front door. I later asked Mark what that was all about, and he said he thought that Tho was maybe going hiking, and had been picked up by someone.

Mark went out for a short time, and after he returned he began readying for something ─ his trip to Kelowna, as it turned out.

He had originally been planning on busing there with Bev, but instead he must have rented a vehicle ─ he left here maybe around 10:50 a.m. driving a somewhat smaller vehicle than his van.

Had he gone out and rented it earlier this morning, I wonder? I never actually noticed if his van was here this morning.

He and Bev will return on Monday, which is B.C. Day ─ we're into a long weekend here in the province. The purpose of the trip is to surprise Bev's father who is celebrating a birthday.

With Mark and Tho both gone, and Poté still in bed, I decided to try for some exercise in the backyard tool shed.

The sky is very overcast; but I don't know if there is some cloud up there, or if it is all the forest fire smoke that we've had obscuring the Sun in these parts since Monday.

I live in the Whalley area of Surrey, and remember nothing like this ever before.

Anyway, due to the lateness of the day, I only had the first ⅗ or so of what presently characterizes an exercise session for me.

Back in the house, I fixed up a breakfast and ate that.

My early afternoon was wearing on, and I thought to get this post begun; but then it occurred to me that I hadn't gotten any time out in the 'sunshine' as yet today.

Sure, it's so smoky today that it's often hard to locate a trace of a shadow, and sometimes the Sun is so hidden that there isn't even a glow betraying its presence. But there must be some benefit to being out there!

So at 2:43 p.m. I commenced just over 40 minutes while seated in a chair out in the backyard lawn, and wearing just a pair of cut-offs.

Poté was finally up ─ when I came back into the house, he was upstairs in the bathroom, and soon to be showering.

There is a fellow I sometimes have E-mail exchanges with, and whom I first got acquainted with...well...possibly back in the late Summer of 2001.

He had worked for DFO (Fisheries and Oceans Canada) as a Lightkeeper (LI), the title given to those folks who operate lighthouses.

I had just transferred into that department early in August 2001 after nearly five years with Transport Canada. I had been a Compensation Advisor in Human Resources, and that position was what I retained at DFO.

I was soon involved in helping to oversee a salary revision for a collection of employee positions within the Operational Services, and Lightkeepers were my assignment.

This chap ─ Lynn ─ was no longer working for DFO in any capacity, and was instead getting occasional work in Alberta as a lookout in fire towers.

His period of employment at DFO fell within the range of the salary revisions, so he was entitled to a bit of a payout ─ I forget now, but it might have been as much as a couple thousand dollars.

So I gave a call to the last phone number listed for him ─ and it was still valid.

He had no idea that he was up for a salary revision, and he and his family were actually in some need.

Suffice to say, he was most welcoming about my call and my news, and we have never lost contact ─ even though that was the only time we ever spoke to one another. We just maintain contact by E-mail.

Anyway, Lynn apparently took the following photos back on the evening of July 27 from his vantage in a fire tower:







I would have preferred more landscape scenery than just clouds ─ heck, we've got clouds around here to see, but not visions of what are probably Alberta's foothills.

Quickly switching topics now, yesterday I posted about some studies researching the fact that coffee drinkers have a considerably lower risk of developing colon cancer than do non-coffee drinkers.

But colon cancer is not the only ill that coffee drinkers are protected from ─ the truth seems to be that coffee drinkers get protection from the risk of death from just about all causes.

Read about it for yourself:

JacksDailyDose.com

Imperial.ac.uk

TheGuardian.com

CNN.com

This makes me want to have a third mug of the stuff today, but it is already 5:17 p.m., so I shall defer in the cause of potentially having an easier time of getting and remaining asleep tonight.

Anecdotally, do you happen to know how long caffeine lasts in one's system?

For healthy adults, caffeine's half-life ─ which is the amount of time it takes for half of the ingested caffeine to have been eradicated from one's system ─ is from five to six hours.

So if I have a stiff drink of coffee between now and 6:00 p.m., only half of the caffeine will have left my system by 11:00 p.m. or midnight.

This 1980 study reports how two individuals with alcoholic hepatic disease had an amazingly delayed caffeine half-life of 60 hours in one case, and 168 hours in the other!!!

Of course, it isn't much fun trying to weather a full caffeine withdrawal for those of us who do drink coffee. I've gone through it three times ─ each of the three times I visited Thailand.

The first time, I couldn't understand why I felt like I was suffering jet-lag for so many days ─ I always felt so listless and sleepy, and bordering on a headache that threatened me the daylong.

Fortunately, I was drinking a lot of beer ─ that helped me endure those awful mornings and the daylong near headaches. A big beer or two with breakfast ─ or in place of breakfast ─ may not clear away that fuzzy head, but it certainly takes off the edge when one is enjoying an alcoholic buzz.

And then just pace those beers nicely through the hot Thailand day!

Okay, I am going to close out now with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting in a private home located on Ninth Street, and about two houses up from Third Avenue.

I was maybe midway through a three-month contract of full-time employment with a New Westminster charitable organization called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends) that is today known as Fraserside Community Services Society.

I worked as a swamper on S.A.N.E.'s blue pick-up truck that was usually driven by Esther St. Jean, a good lady in her early 40s.

I had prior experience with S.A.N.E. ─ maybe closing in on two years. However, it had only been part-time at best.

In those earliest years, S.A.N.E. was housed in an old building on Carnarvon Street. The building is gone now, but it was roughly where today the New Westminster SkyTrain Station reaches out to Carnarvon Street.
THURSDAY, August 5, 1976

Though awake earlier for some time, I arose nigh 6:40 a.m.

Another cloudy morning with a sunny-periods afternoon predicted.

I'm tired and would liefer return to bed than S.A.N.E.

David saw me as I was going down McInnes, so I visited him a while.

At Safeway yesterday after work I saw Duck, but doubt he saw me.

Today Steve & I were occupied, but not badly worked. An older couple snacked us with a piece of apple pie each, and I had 2 coffees.

The sun stayed away, and in the afternoon it began spitting some rain.

I picked up a pair of shoes ─ oxfords ─ I hope will be useful.

Toward the end of the day I spent $3.08 at Safeway: 1 lb chicken livers (77¢), more greenish plums (15¢ lb), and bananas and green apples (19¢ lb).

Mike Schutz dropped in, creating some concern he'd wait about till my time was done and then suggest drinking, but he left before.

Then Steve told me my dad was there to see me. He was drunk. I guess Helen had a memorable stay! Anyway, I pacified the old guy by agreeing to partner with him caretaking if he could line a job up. I also gave him $1, and went peacefully my way home, walking with Thor, as dad strolled for the Dunsmuir.

I'm leaving for mom's just after 6:15 p.m.

Sherry & Lisa met me on bikes on the Avenue.

I scrounged a few berries, then went in; mom & Alex were home.

My mail was a 10¢ Definitive ad and a form from Adam Ⅷ Ltd. of New York stating I must send $1 for my "Rock Around the Clock" tapes. Too, cause mom & Sherry were off gallivanting to Whalley, a card was left indicating a parcel could not be delivered. Mom is to try and get it tomorrow.

I supped on a dozen or so cookies and 2 cups of tea afore heading home.

Bed at 11:20 p.m.
It was my old friend Philip David Prince who I met on my way to S.A.N.E. that morning. He may still have been rooming at a location back then of 115 - Tenth Street. We had known one another for over 13 years.

I mentioned having seen Duck the previous day ─ that was the nickname for Donald Fraser, a friend of my maternal cousins the Halversons who were resident out in Surrey.

My co-swamper that day was probably Steve Thackery or however his last name would have been spelled ─ but I have no memory of the chap anymore. The same for Thor.

Mike Schutz was a good acquaintance of mine. I liked the guy a lot, but I had plans for my evening and did not wish to become embroiled in socializing. I think he worked part-time for S.A.N.E. ─ or at least, he had in the past.

My father Hector would go on lengthy benders. Helen was a sister of his who was to have come out for a visit from Edmonton. He had previously said that she was going to stay with him during her visit; but she also had a couple of sisters living in Vancouver, so it doesn't seem too feasible that she would endure his company. It would be too risky that he would embark on one of these days-long binges.

Believe it or not, a dollar would have possibly gotten him three glasses of beer if he was indeed bound for the Dunsmuir Hotel beer parlour (or pub) located at Eighth Street & Carnarvon Street

Early that evening I undertook the long hike (1½ hours) of fast-paced walking out to the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey to check for mail at my mother Irene Dorosh's home. The little home she shared with her husband Alex no longer exists, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue.

Sherry was the young daughter of my older maternal half-sister Phyllis, and Lisa was an immediate neighbour of my mother and Alex ─ Sherry had stayed with them so often that the two young girls had become friends 

I mentioned scrounging on some berries ─ in the backyard of my mother's home were strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and possibly even gooseberries.

As for mail, it would seem that I had mail-ordered a set of 8-track tapes whose shipping price did not include postage to Canada, so I was informed that I had to submit an extra dollar in order to receive the tapes.

If you are interested, I found some information at Discogs.com on that tape company calling itself Adam Ⅷ Ltd.

The 8-track may no longer be available, but apparently the compilation is still listed, but as being on three vinyl LPs: Rock Around The Clock 40 Original Hits ‎(3xLP).

It had some darned good hits!  

Anyway, I paid my visit with my mother, and then left on that long hike back to my room in New Westminster.

That's young walker is sure no description of me today.
Post a Comment