.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Sunday, June 19, 2016

Common Cerebral Microbleeds (20% of the Population Over Age 45 May Unknowingly Have Them) Lead to Dementia

No one else was home when I made it to bed well ahead of 11:30 p.m. last night ─ I love being able to lock that front door on my two step-sons, forcing them to have to use their keys to get in!

With the coming of morning, it was 7:02 a.m. when I checked the time and decided to get up, but it still took me a couple of minutes to actually do it.

I found it overcast outside, and everything was wet from earlier rain.

I went downstairs to make my hot morning beverage, and was a little surprised to see that my eldest step-son Tho's car was gone.  However, I just assumed that his younger brother Pote had taken it in order to transport his girlfriend Priyanka somewhere ─ the couple were together ever since he came home from work yesterday, so I conjectured that she likely spent the night here with him.

However, some while after 9:00 a.m. I heard him fussing about downstairs ─ he had been in bed.  It was Tho who was gone with the car.

Around 10:00 a.m., I heard Pote leave out the front door ─ probably to catch his bus to take him to work.

And soon after that, my younger brother Mark was home after spending the night at his girlfriend Bev's residence.

I spent much of the morning working on the amendment of an old post at my website My Retirement Dream.  I should be finished with it by tomorrow ─ I've been working on the update since Thursday. 

Late in the morning, Mark sought a nap.

And at 12:08 p.m., I was doing the same.

I probably spent about 85 minutes in bed, rising to find myself alone in the house ─ Mark had gone for the afternoon.

I still have no idea about Tho ─ did he not come home last night?  Or did he go to work early this morning for an overtime shift?


I have come across a family photo that appears to be a companion to one I posted some months ago, so I am going to post them both.  However, I will only offer the description that I gave to the latest photo where it is now filed in a Google album:

My mother Irene Dorosh's husband, Alex.

I suspect that he was likely feeding Canada geese somewhere here in southwestern British Columbia.

I can only guess that the photo might have been taken during the decade of the 1980s, but I suppose that the 1990s are not out of the question.
And of course, this is my mother Irene Dorosh at virtually the same location ─ she and Alex must have taken turns serving as subjects, and also photographing the other.


I am going to have to try and remember to ask my younger brother Mark if he takes aspirin on a daily basis ─ there still are those who think they are doing themselves a potential service by doing this, believing that they are warding off the risk of heart-attack.

Well, that's utter bullcrap ─ in fact, it is dangerous to be taking aspirin daily.

Daily aspirin? You may as well hit yourself in the head with a hammer every morning.

It's safer, and at least it's free!

Any doc who's pushing aspirin therapy on patients for "primary prevention" these days is guilty of malpractice -- and quite possibly insanity, too.

There's so much evidence AGAINST aspirin that even the drug-happy hacks at the FDA issued a rare rejection a couple years back, warning that no sane person should take the med with the goal of preventing a first heart attack.

I'm sure you know why: Aspirin can cause painful bleeds in the stomach, and in some cases even deadly internal bleeding.

Now, the latest research shows how another type of internal bleeding commonly linked to aspirin use can do even MORE damage -- and unlike an ulcer, which will have you howling in pain, you won't feel a thing with this one.

They're called microbleeds, or tiny bleeds in the brain frequently seen in older folks, especially seniors on "aspirin therapy."

Docs have noticed these bleeds showing up on MRIs for years, and most of them have ignored it. They're so tiny... and there are no symptoms... so they figure the little bleeds are no big deal.

Turns out they're a HUGE deal, because the new study finds they can DOUBLE your risk of dementia!

Bleeding in different parts of the brain leads to different problems in brain function. If you've got lobar microbleeds (in the lobes), they could wreck your executive function, memory, and ability to process information.

Bleeds in other parts of the brain are also bad news, linked to slower information processing and motor speed, according to the study in JAMA Neurology.

And since most of these bleeds were caused by the use of meds -- especially aspirin -- that means most of that risk was completely unnecessary.

It's a crying shame!

So here's the real deal: If your doc is pushing aspirin therapy on you, find a new doc -- one that recognizes safer ways to thin the blood and protect the heart, like fish oil.

And if you're already on the darned drug, don't stop taking it just yet... because suddenly quitting aspirin could induce a deadly heart attack.

Call it an ugly parting gift.

You're not stuck on the drug forever -- but you do have to work with a doc who can safely wean you off the aspirin and onto natural therapies instead.

Stopping the bleeds....
This is the first time that I have ever heard that quitting an aspiring habit 'cold turkey' can be deadly dangerous!

I located the study, but only the abstract is available for free to the general public:  Association of Cerebral Microbleeds With Cognitive Decline and Dementia (doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2016.1017).

I was able to access the full study as a 10-page .pdf document by seeking it at Sci-Hub.ac.

Now, I haven't the time to scour the study, but it seems to me that it only concerned itself with microbleeds as causative of eventual dementia ─ the study didn't seem to be involving aspirin.

Supposedly, it has already been established that aspirin does cause microbleeds.  Take, for instance, this 2009 article I just found at medpagetoday.comAspirin Linked to Brain Microbleed.

Anyway, this is a very brief interview with one of the main study authors:

And here are a couple of other reports on the study:


The marketplace is becoming a risky affair for the consumer!

Forget the Keystone Cops.

If you want to see incompetent policing, then look no further than the Food and Drug Administration.

The agency that's SUPPOSED to police our food supply and ensure that what we feed our families is safe has been caught red-handed doing just the opposite.

They've knowingly allowed tainted food to hit the market!

The agency's own watchdog says the FDA is too slow to issue recalls during food poisoning outbreaks, even when they KNOW exactly what's making people sick.

The inspector general of the Health and Human Services Department has given the FDA the government equivalent of a dunce cap, slapping it with a warning over its complete incompetence in food safety.

The organization fired off an alert in the form of a report that looked at 30 recalls over three years.

"For all 30 voluntary recalls in our sample, after FDA first became aware that an adulterated or misbranded product could be in the food supply chain, it did not prescribe a timeline for each firm to initiate a recall," the report said.

That's one of the FDA's first and most basic jobs. Yet they flunked... THIRTY times in three years!

In one case, it took nearly half a year to issue a recall over a salmonella outbreak. In another, it took TWO MONTHS to issue a recall over listeria in cheese... an outbreak that led to the death of a baby and two miscarriages.

And that's because the entire process is screwed up, designed to benefit the industry and not consumers.

You'd think the moment the FDA knows of a problem with food they'd issue a recall and warn consumers.


Each recall is a dance worthy of Fred and Ginger -- a carefully choreographed routine between the FDA and the company selling tainted food where everything is secretly negotiated behind the scenes, in advance, and the companies are ultimately allowed to handle it however they want.

That's why most recalls are long-delayed "voluntary actions" and the stuff under recall has already been sold and eaten months ago. And, in most cases, the companies are even allowed to push out a BS statement claiming the food is safe -- they're just trying to be extra careful.

Yeah, right.

If they WERE extra careful, we wouldn't have 48 million Americans -- that's 1 in 6 of us! -- suffering from food poisoning every single year, according to CDC numbers.

Obviously, the old rule remains in force: Never rely on the government to keep you and your family safe.

Choose your food carefully, and scrub fresh produce -- because it's fruits and veggies, not meats, that are responsible for the most outbreaks.

Learn more -- including a simple and cheap way to clean all your fresh vegetables -- in this free report from the Daily Dose archives.

Doing what the FDA won't....
Here's that Department of Health and Human Services warning to the FDA ─ as a six-page .pdf document:

And a couple of other reports about this sorry mess:


The afternoon has become a good mix of Sun and cloud.  I expect that we'll have sunny weather tomorrow.

I close now with this entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The house I was renting the room in was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

At least a couple of times a week, I would hike out to my mother Irene Dorosh's home in Surrey ─ the Kennedy Heights area.  The house no longer exist, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue.

I made that hike because my mother's home was my main mailing address...but also because I would get fed!
THURSDAY, June 19, 1975

I slept poorly.

I attempted around 10:00 a.m. to phone Bill, but nothing.

I am going to spend this sunny day at mom's, I guess, checking out Manpower's job board and mailing Terri's letter I finished typing this morning.

I'll not see Russ Jeffs.

I greeted red Ken at Manpower.  He said he saw Jeff a couple weeks prior.

I stopped at Econo-mart and bought some McColl's peanut butter ($2.23); I also was enticed to buy two uncut boiling chickens, mainly because of the price ─ 64¢ apiece (29¢ lb.).

Mom assumed this was done for a meal there, so I left one for Monday.

I arrived there about noon; she was out shopping, so I glutted on carbohydrates.

She is crediting me a fifth share on an Olympic ticket.

Phyllis' dogs are still out back, to everyone's annoyance.

Mail was Good News and postal material. 

I've seen a few raunchy women.

The S.A.N.E. truck was parked on Queens, so to avoid possible work going home, I took the alley adjoining 7th St.

At 9:40 p.m. a lack of releasive dreams recently helped lead me over the brink:  Ava Gallay.

Bed 9:50 p.m.
I had attempted to use a payphone to phone my old friend William Alan Gill.  I wanted him to escort me to the Royal City Foods cannery where he worked so that I would be emboldened to apply there for a job.

The letter I was mailing to "Terri" was a pen-pal letter ─ she was an American I had just recently begun corresponding with.

"Manpower" was the Department of Manpower and Immigration, and was the federal department responsible for things like unemployment and unemployment insurance (now called employment insurance).

"Russ Jeffs" was my social worker ─ he had requested that I visit him this day, but I was blowing him off.

The "red Ken" I bumped into at "Manpower" was a young fellow I had gotten to know through an eight-week full-time course we had both attended late in the previous year:  Basic Job Readiness Training (BJRT).

Another attendee was "Jeff."

I think an Econo-Mart may have been a supermarket located in the shopping plaza at 96th Avenue & Scott Road out in Surrey.  I would have passed by it on my way to my mother's home.

The chain of stores no longer exists as such. 

Apparently my mother was going to give me a 20% share in an Olympic Lottery ticket.  We were somewhat in the grip of lottery fever now that the Canadian government was quite newly into the money-making scheme.

My older maternal half-sister Phyllis had left a female dog and its pups at my mother's home a week or more earlier ─ they were housed in a shed in the back property.  However, my mother's husband Alex hated dogs, and they were wearing out their welcome.

Phyllis should have know better, but I think she probably hoped that our mother and Alex would fall in love with at least one of the pups and want to keep it. 

As for The Good News, I had been a subscriber to the free magazine for some years.  The "postal material" that had also arrived in the mail for me would have been notices concerning the latest commemorative postage stamps.

I expect that the "few raunchy women" I had seen were attractive young ladies that I had noticed during my long walk to my mother's home, and then back to my room in New Westminster. 

I worked just a day a week ─ usually on Friday ─ for a charitable organization called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends).  It calls itself Fraserside Community Services Society today

I likely thought that the truck was parked on Queens Avenue because it was involved in moving somebody, and I had no interest in donating my services to help if that was the case.  

I have no idea now what alley adjoining Seventh Street that I was referring to as my detour to avoid the truck, and this Google map doesn't clear up the mystery.  

And once home, that evening due to sexual tension partly attributable to an absence of recent erotic dreams, I resorted to a May (1975) Penthouse magazine and found relief with model Ava Gallay. 

Naughty, naughty!
Post a Comment