.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Friday, July 29, 2016

Free Windows 10 Upgrade Offer Ends Today │ CT Scans Initiating as Many as 2% of the New Cases of Cancer

Bedtime last night was very shortly after midnight.

My first block of sleep was unusually long; it was nearly 6:00 a.m. before I first checked the time, and then took a bathroom break.

I returned to bed, but I could not seem to find further sleep.  It didn't help one whit that I  heard what must have been a mosquito with its high-pitched buzz by one of my ears.

Relaxation was more complicated after that.

It was likely around 7:15 a.m. when I decided to rise and start my sunny day.

My youngest step-son Pote followed suit about 1½ hours later, and then left around 9:15 a.m. to catch his bus to work.

I set to work continuing the edit of an old post at my website My Retirement Dream ─ I probably put more content into it today than any day since I began working on it last Tuesday. However, I question now whether I will be finished the edit even by tomorrow ─ it may well not be done until Sunday.

I wanted to make my hike for more beer today ─ the government liquor store over by 108th Avenue & King George Boulevard here in Whalley.

It's a four-mile round-trip journey, but the return portion is always punishing because of the dozen cans of strong (8% alcohol) beer each hand has to bear back.

And today was so darned hot.

I never got started until 11:12 a.m., and I set an exceptionally leisurely pace to help avoid undue perspiration.

With the arrival yesterday of my monthly pension income into my account, I mailed away a cheque for $115 for participation in the 2016 BC Children's Hospital Dream Lottery ─ $100 for three tickets on the main draw, and $15 for two entries in the 50/50 PLUS portion.

I don't play the other more regular lotteries that are offered by the likes of the British Columbia Lottery Corporation.  The cost has become far too much for this pensioner when account is taken of how much would be spent in trying to keep involved in each and every draw.

When I had a working salary, I always tried to keep involved in both the Lotto 6/49 & Extra, and the BC/49 & Extra; and often, even the LOTTO Max & Extra.

But with the loss of that regular salary, participation on a regular basis became financially impossible.

So I now only play the lotteries like the one I mailed away my cheque for.

Sure, these cost a lot at face value.  However, there are few such lotteries like them in any one year ─ maybe four, or possibly five.

The odds of winning are far better, and they are sufficiently spread out over the year that the bite of participation can be borne.

I don't dare NOT play, for there is absolutely no hope of me otherwise ever being delivered from the plight I am in.  I certainly can't seem to generate an extra income via the Web.  When I checked my AdSense account for today, I had not even acquired 1¢ as yet; and yesterday, that was all my account managed to earn.

Anyway ─ back to my hike for beer.

I didn't need any ─ I had 3 ¾ dozen on hand here already.  But as I always say, it's better to have an abundance than an insufficiency.

Too, I need the walk, grueling as the trek can sometimes be.

On my way to the liquor store, I did see a young woman with exceptionally well-muscled legs as I was hiking along 106th Avenue after leaving City Parkway, and while headed for King George Boulevard.  She was coming from the King George, and turned onto 135-A Street ─ the short strip notorious for the numbers of homeless and drug addicts congregated along it.

This Google map may help orient you. 

The lovely young woman wore a short, summery skirt, and walked purposefully and strong; one would never have taken her for someone frequenting that section of Whalley.  

After I was heading home with my beer ─ I had again just left City Parkway, and was walking along 105th Avenue in order to reach University Drive ─ a young hustler had exited 134-A Street and was standing on the corner of 105th Avenue with her back to me.

Perhaps refer to this Google map.

She had on shorts that were as brief as they could possibly be without displaying bare buttock.

She bent over and was rummaging through a bag she was carrying, while a couple of passing vehicles enjoyed the display of long legs and out-thrust butt.

Then she suddenly stood just as I was approaching on the opposite side of 105th Avenue, and she crossed right over to my side of the road and addressed me with a question I could not make out.

I stopped and leaned towards her ─ she was quite cute ─ and asked her to repeat herself.

She was busy with a small plastic bag that I could see contained a lighter, and I fully expect that it also had the makings of whatever it might take for the lady to get high.

She repeated her query, but I still could not immediately understand her.

She wasn't looking at me anyway, so I just made a negative sound as I laughed a little, and I stated that I still had a long walk ahead of me as I set off again.

It was then that her last query became clear in my mind ─ she had said, "a cigarette that I can buy from you?"

If she was indeed about to take a hit of some sort of drug, then perhaps a cigarette would have helped facilitate the experience.

There was nothing else of note about the hike, and I was home by 12:46 p.m.  It had taken me a bit more than 1½ hours.

But I was 'done' for the day.

I have been ruminating about maybe trying to SkyTrain into Vancouver on Sunday to see the Pride Parade.  It's apparently the 37th annual parade; yet despite living here all of my life ─ mainly in Surrey ─ I have only ever seen a small portion of just one parade.

Today's beer hike left me feeling so spent, I really can't imagine venturing so far from home.

And for a few days now, the back of my right knee evinces pain anytime I try to climb or descend stairs ─ the pain reminds me of a condition that same leg suffered last December that was to lead to a far greater, crippling pain, and a swelling of the leg.

To this day, I still have some swelling, mainly about the inside portion of my ankle.

I know that I look muscular and fit when I am out like I was today; but the muscle is hard-won, and I am far from being very fit.

After having a light breakfast/lunch, I lied down for about an hour in an effort to nap.  The pain behind that right knee was certainly evident thereafter.

Oddly, I can not reproduce the pain by just palpating myself ─ nothing hurts when I poke or apply pressure with my hand.

But anytime I seek to bend my knee, the pain becomes most evident and limits the normal ease of a bend.  I have to compel by will that knee to fully bend ─ the natural inclination is to stop.

It's just annoying ─ I don't think it's anything really serious...yet.  I was perfectly fine during my earlier hike.

That reminds me of something I just recently read concerning gel inserts for footwear, and special shoes designed to 'offload' weight and ease pain in arthritic knees ─ a study has found that they DO NOT actually meet that pain-relief purpose.

And that's despite the high cost some of this footwear.

One report on the study is at theglobeandmail.comResearchers say special footwear may not improve knee arthritis.

Folks with that sort of knee trouble who have been disappointed with chondroitin and glucosamine supplementation might find the results they have been searching for by trying something called UC-II (i.e., undenatured type II collagen).

This improved benefit with UC-II has been observed in studies going back several years, but a recent one was reported on at nutritionaloutlook.comUC-II Collagen More Effective for Knee Osteoarthritis Symptoms than Glucosamine and Chondroitin?

Before I move on, I just want to mention that today is the final chance for people who have not yet upgraded their computers to Windows 10 to do so ─ for free, that is.  After today, it will cost.

I am not going to do it.

I fully expect that my computer will have died off before Microsoft quits upgrading Windows 7.  I can't afford an external drive for backups, so I'm just biding time until the inevitable happens to my poor machine.

That will be when my life on the Web will come to an end. 


Here's a fairly old family photo that I want to post ─ the description beneath is from the Google album where I have the scanned image stored:

That is my mother Irene Dorosh at the left, but I have no idea who the other two people are.

Is the man holding a pair of film reels?

Judging by the appearance of my mother, I might estimate the photo to have been taken sometime in the 1980s, but I won't guarantee that.

Unfortunately, I cannot say where.

One of the people with whom I share E-mail forwards with is someone I first got in touch with back in 2002.

I deeply respect Lynn ─ he's a family man, and does his very best to live a Christian lifestyle.

Anyway, this morning I found the following from him under the Subject heading "Canadian National Anthem - I agree:"

Oh Canada our home and native land
True patriot love in all our sons command
With glowing hearts we see thee rise
The true north strong and free
From far and wide oh Canada
We stand on guard for thee.
*God* keep our land glorious and free
Oh Canada we stand on guard for thee
Oh Canada we stand on guard for thee.

This is not sent for discussion. If you agree, forward it .. If you don't, simply delete it.

By me forwarding it, you know how I feel.

I’m guessing the response came as a big surprise to CBC to the question:

Do you believe that the word “God  should stay in the iconic National Anthem ....  A part of Canadian culture?

CBC, yesterday morning, had a poll on this question. They had the Highest number of responses that they have ever had for one of their polls, and the percentage was this: 86% for the word “God keep our Land, in the National Anthem, 14% against.

That is a pretty 'commanding' public response.

I was asked to send this on if I agreed or delete if I didn't.

Now it is your turn. It is said that 86% of Canadians believe the word “God" should stay, therefore, I have a very hard time understanding why there is such a controversy about having the word “God" in the anthem!

Should the country cater to this 14%?

If you agree with the 86%, pass this on, if not, simply delete.
I felt some research to be warranted, and ultimately replied back with the following:
I entered into a little research on that poll, and got quite a number of rather old references to it.

Check out this one dated December 30, 2010 ─ seem familiar?

Timely as ever!

Who knows how much older than that the forwarded message might be.

Now check out the percentages of American believers and non-believers at this Snopes' article on a supposed NBC God Poll.

That article was last updated on October 28, 2009; but it says that the example in that box had been “collected via e-mail, 2006.”

Personally, I doubt there was a CBC poll that came up with the identical believer/non-believer percentages. 

It's the work of some liar who wants to see that lie show up in his Inbox for the rest of his life ─ as well as see it published in various forums and on other websites over the years. 

I think that it gives these liars a sense of immortality and power to see their hoax live on and on and on, and that's why they put these things out there.
His message had arrived at 7:17 a.m., and I have yet to hear back from him following my response ─ I hope this didn't come across as censure, and made him feel to be a fool.

After all, he had sent the forward to an unidentifiable number of recipients by use of blind carbon copying (Bcc).

He's the sort of guy who would feel morally-bound to apologize to everyone he had sent the untrue message to, so I just hope that he has been busy working today, and his silence where I am concerned is not because he has taken offence.


Have you ever had a CT Scan?

Have you any idea how much radiation these things subject the 'victim' to?

Believe it or not, not many physicians and even radiologists do.  In fact, the majority do NOT know!

A study was done by the University of Saskatchewan in the province of Saskatchewan, but I have no doubt that the ignorance is prevalent all over the medical world.

Just keep it in mind if your own doctor glibly suggests such a procedure:

One CT scan delivers as much radiation as anywhere from 100 - 250 chest X-rays ─ and we're supposed to know how risky too many of those are!

That article ─ from a U.S. perspective ─ declares that up to 2% of all new cancers just may be attributable entirely to past CT scans!

I don't see why the projection wouldn't apply here in Canada nor anywhere else where ignorant medical professionals are pushing these procedures on patients.


To close out today's post is an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The house I was renting in was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

My mother Irene Dorosh and her husband Alex had left the previous week on a trip 'back East,' so I was keeping a check on their home ─ it was also my mailing address.

The house no longer exists, but its address in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey was 12106 - 90th Avenue.
TUESDAY, July 29, 1975

I got up not too long after 6:30 a.m., my eyes somewhat burning; I guess I could have slumbered further.

I reached the laundromat before it opened and wasn't interrupted till my wash was done.

Then to mom's, all under a majorly clouded sky.

For mail, I had a Plain Truth, a new stamp ad, a letter from Ron, and a card from the post office announcing the holding of a parcel for me which must have come today.  

Picking blueberries, the phone persistently rang, so I answered; Mark requested I see if Alex had a plumber's wrench so he could come borrow it and try repairing  his hot water tap.

When I located it, he said he'd soon be over.

He came as I was collecting raspberries.

I had him drive me to pick up my parcel, but was informed the deliverer hadn't yet brought it in; please come back later.

After Mark left, I watched TV and ate.  

From about 3:00 p.m. till 5:00 p.m. I sunned, the clouds having vanished.

Bill phoned after 1:00 p.m. sometime, saying he'd called Cathy and had hopes of camping on the coming week-end near Hope providing she could persuade Mark (who came after 2:30 p.m. returning the tools; Cathy was in the car.  He said Nell extended an invitation to come over, but neither of us felt like it).

I terribly stuffed myself, being compelled to await darkness before leaving.

At the top of the road, I passed by an opportunity to join 5 young gals sitting together at the roadside; they asked for a cigarette.

And going down the tracks, I encountered a drunken veteran who said his wife was killed 2 months past in a car accident with a red-light running Hindu.

I noticed a remarkable number of rustling in the trackside grass throughout my walk, probably caused by rats.

At home, I did no exercise, due to my condition and the hour.

Bed by 12:20 a.m.
I normally would have laundered on a Sunday, but my old friend William Alan Gill and I had driven to the Chilliwack River out near Chilliwack on Saturday to join my younger brother Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther to do some camping ─ they had gone there on Friday.

We all never got back until Monday.  

The walk to my mother's home from where I lived in New Westminster would take about 1½ hours at a fast pace.

The most peaceful portion of that trek was usually the B.C. Hydro Railway tracks ─ I would travel them from near the Surrey-side of the Pattullo Bridge all the way to the top of the Scott Road (120th Street) hill where 99th Avenue intersected.

And from there, I would follow Scott Road to 90th Avenue (which does not quite reach Scott Road; one accesses 90th Avenue from Holt Road). 

My mother and Alex had quite the garden in their backyard ─ blueberries and raspberries were just part of the abundance there.

The mail awaiting me included The Plain Truth magazine ─ I had subscribed for years; an announcement about the latest commemorative stamp issue release from the Canadian Post Office; a letter from my American pen-pal, Ron Bain; and I have no idea as yet what the package notice was concerning.

Bill must have greatly enjoyed our two miserable nights of camping ─ we had forgotten sleeping bags, and only had a blanket apiece.

I don't know if he actually meant a new camping expedition to the Hope area, or just back to the Chilliwack River where we had been.  Hope is reasonably nearby.

Anyway, after Mark brought back the tools he had borrowed, he brought news concerning an invitation from our maternal Aunt Nell Halverson inviting us over to where she and her household were then living on 64th Avenue in Surrey.

Neither he nor I were up to the visit.

Then ─ when by myself once more ─ I turned gluttonous and overate.  I used to be very effective at eating myself into incapacitation.

In that state with bloated stomach, I wouldn't have wanted to be hiking back to New Westminster.  Darkness would be so much cooler, and my condition would be less obvious to anyone giving me an appraising eye. 

The five girls had to have been at the top of 90th Avenue where it ends at Holt Road.  But did they actually invite me to sit with them quite apart from the cigarette request?  I no longer remember. 

I also don't remember the incident of "the drunken veteran" on the railway tracks who told me of the death of his wife.  Back then, few people knew what a Sikh was ─ anyone with a turban was generally referred to as being a Hindu.

But referencing those girls again, it's sort of strange that exactly 41 years apart to the very day, I would be asked for a cigarette by young women.

I don't smoke, so of course I was unable to oblige back then just as was the case today.
Post a Comment