.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Monday, August 22, 2016

Alzheimer's Genetic Predispostion Seen in Very Young Children

Watching T.V. last evening without any 2016 Olympic Games competitions to tune in felt somewhat odd.

Sure, the lengthy Closing Ceremony telecast was available, but I only popped in a few times to see what was happening.  I'm really only interested in the actual competitions of the Games.

I suppose that I was comfortably to bed well enough ahead of midnight, but when that first block of sleep broke, I found myself in a bit of a fix.  It was roughly 4:30 a.m., and I wanted to seek some bathroom relief ─ but my eldest step-son Tho was in the bathroom readying for work, and my younger brother Mark was doing the same in his bedroom across from mine.

In other words, I did not have access to his ensuite.

All I could do was attempt to relax and wait.

I must have dipped into a bit of a nap, but I did hear Tho drive away, and Mark soon thereafter follow suit.

I used the bathroom, and did my best to accrue further sleep.

It was shortly after 8:00 a.m. when I finally called it a night.

My youngest step-son Pote was up ─ his girlfriend had left a little earlier after having spent the night here with him.

And he was to head off shortly after 10:00 a.m. to catch his bus to work.

I spent a considerable part of the morning setting up a new post at my Latin Impressions website ─ a post that I hope I can have finished and published before Friday.

It has not been a good day, however.  I have been overrun with insecurity, uncertainty, loneliness, and fear.

One of my depressions has hold.

And as usual, it is born primarily of financial worry.  I feel so desperately all alone in this.

The day has been a mix of Sun and cloud, but none of that would much matter if only I lived far from here and could be abroad throughout the day in peace and privacy. 

I ventured out into the backyard in the early afternoon, and beginning at 1:46 p.m. I spent   40 minutes seated in a chair out on the lawn while I was wearing just a pair of cut-offs.

Practically the entire session was spent beneath cloud, though.

My sole lift this day is such a small thing.  Upon checking my AdSense account just prior to beginning this post, I saw that my account had accrued 48¢ thus far today after having no increase whatsoever the previous two days.

Most interesting to me is that 1¢ of that figure was derived from activity at the Quatar domain of this blog ─ that is, siamlongings.blogspot.qa.


I have a photo I would like to post.  The description beneath it is from the Google album where I have the photo housed:

If I recall correctly, this photo was taken on Ko or Koh Samet, one of Thailand's popular tourist destinations.

I had been essentially escorted there by Tukta; and along with us were Tumma (pictured), Tukta's sister and the sister's child Earth, and Jack or Jak (now my wife).

We spent a few days there, and it was towards the end of my very first trip to Thailand in January 2003.
It was on Ko Samet one evening after dark that I had taken Jack aside and told her that I had come to love her.

And I had ─ a love that had grown out of a deep friendship and appreciation of the young woman for everything that she had done for me while I had been in her country and under her care.

I no sooner said those three words, when Jack immediately reciprocated with a husky, "I love you, too."


Researchers have been able to identify brain differences in young people ─ even children ─ that resemble those of adults who have developed Alzheimer's disease.

The study is called Gray matter maturation and cognition in children with different APOE ε genotypes (doi: 10.​1212/​WNL.​0000000000002939), but only the abstract is available to the general public without payment of a fee.

Even so, I found that I could access the full study as an 11-page .PDF document at Sci-Hub.ac.

This would seem to indicate that there are genetic as well as environmental factors at work in the development of the disease.

There were 1,187 healthy young people involved in the study ranging in ages from three years of age to 20.

There is a short interview with lead author Linda Chang at researchgate.netStudy finds Alzheimer’s disease gene already makes its mark in childhood.

And here are some articles reporting on the study:

And there is a very good report on the study at The Wall Street Journal (Alzheimer’s Effects on the Brain Found in Young People), but a subscription is required to access it.  Notwithstanding, I located the whole article in a cache at web.archive.org ─ try this July 13, 2016, cache.

Just don't forget that other factors in life can lead to the development of Alzheimer's disease, including various medications.

One huge culprit is the class of drugs commonly known as statins.

Here's what Dr. Marc S. Micozzi, M.D., Ph.D., had to say in that context:
...Here are two simple steps you can take for "anti-aging" -- including preventing memory loss and dementia.

First, stay intellectually and socially engaged. Especially as you get older.

Second, don't take statin drugs. Ever. Period. And if you currently take them, make a plan to discontinue them.
These cholesterol-lowering medications have been shown to cause brain damage ─ among other indictments:

Healthy Food USA

Their side effects include memory loss, myopathy, cataract formation, and increased risk of diabetes.
What more do people need to know?


I seemed to have selected the worst of the day to have been sitting outside ─ it has been remarkably sunny ever since.

I can't keep living as I am, shut away and isolated.  Friendless ─ or at least, not with any I can easily visit. 

And this crushing financial debt that keeps me a prisoner in my own home.

I cannot long sustain the turmoil that engulfed me earlier today.  I am ageing, and have less and less potential to live for.

Sometimes I cannot even imagine what potential doth remain to me.

I close now with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster

I was renting that room in a house on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

I was only employed one day at week ─ Friday ─ at a New Westminster charitable organization called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends) that was then situated in a building right about where the New Westminster Skytrain Station now spills out onto Carnarvon Street.
FRIDAY, August 22 , 1975

I awoke about 6:00 a.m., and am extremely tired.

The weather today is to be mainly cloudy.

I plan this morning to take in my welfare paper and go to Safeway before heading into S.A.N.E.

I bought Harvest Crunch (raisins & dates).

Bill was at S.A.N.E. and said Esther has been off sick since Wednesday.  Anyway, there was nothing for us to do, so we left intending to show up on Monday to replace today.

I made a soup and ate the entire production.

About 12:30 p.m. I lied down, catching near a couple hours of sleep, I suppose, arising 2:45 p.m.

I soon learned it was raining.

After exercising and showering, shortly past 7:00 p.m. I left in the rain for Art's.

Keith was home, and Angie was preparing for work.

I learned that yesterday late evening dad was in town trying to get a couple bucks; I wasn't home, and he phoned Art to find him tied down with the kids and supposedly broke.  

I wonder his fate; he was apparently sober.

All night Art kept pushing drinks, but I only had about 3 vodkas; Keith went out for some while.

Art fed me some several day-old leftovers, and gave me 3 tomatoes to take home.  Tomorrow I am to get a case of them, thanks to Judd at the Salvation Army.

I will be abed 2:40 a.m.
I was eating quite a lot of Quaker Harvest Crunch, believing it to be healthy. 

An older chap named Bill Sevenko was my co-swamper on the blue pick-up truck generally driven by dear Esther St. Jean, a sweetheart in her early 40s. 

For whatever reason, I can no longer remember Bill.

Today, S.A.N.E. exists as Fraserside Community Services Society.

Art Smith was also in his early 40s, and had been another co-worker of mine at S.A.N.E.  A couple of evenings earlier, I had promised him that I would come by this day.

I no longer recall who "Keith" was, but Angie (Angelina) was Art's wife ─ she would have been preparing to go and put in her shift at what I believe was the Pacific Café on Columbia Street in New Westminster.

That hurts me to read about my financially desperate father Hector.

I was likely avoiding letting loose with the drinking because I would have become unabandoned, and I wanted to be in control so that I would get home sensibly, and have a healthy Saturday the following day.

Art loved to get me drunk with him on Alberta brand vodka and/or Villa brand sherry.

The tomatoes were provided by Art's brother Judd (Gerald) who was employed at the Salvation Army thrift store on Columbia Street in New Westminster.

It would appear that I managed to extricate myself from Art's home reasonably unscathed.
Post a Comment